Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

DID EP REALLY MISSED PRIS??

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 pm

I wonder what you hear on many and read in many books, and like Priscilla also told....that elvis really missed here after the divorce...and the song like its easy for you......was it a look back on his relation ship with priscilla.....

Re: DID EP REALLY MISSED PRIS??

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 pm

I'd say it was his ego hurting more than anything...........nobody, left ELVIS.........

'Easy for you', I could see more aimed at Red/Sonny........

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 pm

debtd1 wrote:I'd say it was his ego hurting more than anything...........nobody, left ELVIS.........

I agree. I don't think Elvis really wanted to marry Priscilla.

I think he should have married Ann Margret.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:53 pm

debtd1 wrote:'Easy for you', I could see more aimed at Red/Sonny........

I disagree completely.

He should have married Linda but it was too late by 1972. Despite what Marty and others say, I absolutely believe he missed Priscilla and the Southern ideal of a "family unit" but he wasn't the "Marrying Kind"

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:08 pm

I couldn't say who Elvis should have married or what he should have done with regards to his love life, but I would be surprised if he didn't miss someone with whom he spent so much time, surely confided in very deeply and fathered a child with. That they drifted apart is another telling, and sad chapter of his life, because the Elvis whom Priscilla divorced seemed to be an entirely different character to the one she married. And in the space of so few years . . .

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:35 pm

I think he missed her..I don't think he is THAT heartless to marry someone have a child with her then just all of a sudden have no feelings for her anymore..Sure his ego was hurt but I would like to think that he had love for her,in his own way..maybe he had a hard time showing it but I think he had it in his heart..

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 pm

but all those songs about lost love....are those for pris.....

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 pm

ep2 wrote:but all those songs about lost love....are those for pris.....

I think so.."I miss you","for ol times sake","sweet angeline" etc..they all were recorded as she was leaving him and I don't think he was being over dramatic trying to get people to feel bad for him or an egomaniac with those songs..I think he truly missed her..I don't think he had as big of an ego as people claim he did..

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 pm

by the way.one of the things that really bothers me about books that have been written about him is that they make him look like a self centered egomaniac who didn't care if he hurt anyones feeling or not and I don't believe that..I believe he may have had a hard time explaining his feelings to people and may have had a hard time opening up to people and telling them that he loved them,but I think he showed love for his friends/family in his own way..I don't buy the whole idea that he didn't care for others feelings..or he was just too "macho" to show feelings for people..I think he was an old fashioned simple man who expressed himself the best he could to people with what he had..for us he showed us love with his songs for his friends/family it was with cars,tcb necklaces, ect .to me he doesn't come off as a "touchy feely" type of person who was open with alot of people..so I think he had feelings for her in his own way..

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:25 pm

he also sang its midnight in vegas....with listen cilla....so i think most of the other songs are also for pris..that time...

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:33 pm

ep2 wrote:he also sang its midnight in vegas....with listen cilla....so i think most of the other songs are also for pris..that time...

yes..even though he claimed on stage that some of those songs aren't about her ,I think they were..

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 pm

There's no doubt he missed her. He was never the same after she took Lisa and left.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 pm

I don't think he did.

About the songs lost love is the most common subject matter in all compositions.

Elvis recorded songs like ''Don't cry daddy'', ''Twenty days and Twenty nights'', ''I've lost you'', ''I'm leavin'' etc. when they were still together.

The fact that he recorded a lot of ballads after they broke up doesn't necessarily mean anything because that's what he always did.

Priscilla says he missed her but that could very well be that she's just doing that to make herself look good.

Jerry Schilling, Joe Espositio and George Klein are Priscilla's lap dogs so whatever image of her and Elvis' relationship that she wishes to portray to the fans they'll back her up.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:06 am

she said also...that he asked her back after the break up...

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 am

ep2 wrote:she said also...that he asked her back after the break up...

she said that took place in 1976 (if I remember correctly) and that WAS the same time he recorded "it's easy for you" and "hurt" so it could be possible since the songs were recorded around the same time and the lyrics seem to fit that type of circumstance that she described (especailly "it's easy for you")

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:16 am

debtd1 wrote:I'd say it was his ego hurting more than anything...

True to an extent. Relationships are complicated and there is no doubt that Elvis wasn't fully committed to his marriage. But as you pointed out, there was definitely an element of a bruised ego involved in the aftermath. I have serious doubts that Elvis was truly upset at losing Priscilla.

EPA4368 wrote:I think he should have married Ann Margret.

Why? It is more than likely that relationship would have also ended in divorce.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:19 am

joshferrell wrote:
ep2 wrote:she said also...that he asked her back after the break up...

she said that took place in 1976 (if I remember correctly) and that WAS the same time he recorded "it's easy for you" and "hurt" so it could be possible since the songs were recorded around the same time and the lyrics seem to fit that type of circumstance that she described (especailly "it's easy for you")

Doubtful. Elvis was an emotional mess in 1976. If he did ask Priscilla to "come back" in a moment of drug-fuelled, remorseful desperation; it is unlikely that it was sincere and it is unlikely that it contributed to the shaping of the Jungle Room recording sessions.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 am

EPA4368 wrote:
debtd1 wrote:I'd say it was his ego hurting more than anything...........nobody, left ELVIS.........

I agree. I don't think Elvis really wanted to marry Priscilla.

I think he should have married Ann Margret.

+1 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Or me... :mrgreen:

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am

I am sure there were times he missed her. But he wasn't constantly pining for her. He was with her a long time. So it would be only natural if he did miss her sometimes. because while they did not have a perfect marriage they did have happy times too. he broke up with a lot of women. But i think the breakup with priscilla left more of a mark on him because she was that one that dumped him. with the others he did the breaking up.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:41 am

I think it's fair to say he did. As Greystoke pointed they shared almost a decade and a half together including many intimate times and produced a child. Plus, if you look at the home movies of Elvis and Priscilla you can see the obvious pleasure he takes in her company. Yes, he took for granted, ran around with everything he could get his hands on, had his frustrations with her personal limitations (some of which undoubtedly were caused by him and his attempt to play Professor Henry Higgins) that doesn't mean he didn't have legitimate affection for her. Whether he was popping up in the middle of the night begging her to take him back as she claims in her autobiography is another story. But even that, does not seem too out of line with the approach Elvis had with his women.

You have to take the views of some MM members on Priscilla with a grain of salt. They hated her and she hated them. They're going to be little skewed. Too often we paint certain members as the MM as noble unvarnished purveyors of truth. The thing is they were human beings just like everyone else and just like everyone else they had people they disliked and liked. And very often in Elvis' case, a lot of the people they disliked like Larry Geller, Priscilla, Vernon were people who threatened their positions in Elvis' world and vice versa.

As for being egocentric. This is a major problem with being a big star and it's an even worse problem when your circle of friends is built with people who are not rich and famous whose lives revolve around you. Becoming self-centered is something that sort of naturally happens. You have to work at retaining your humanity. From all accounts, Elvis tried, but it's a tough battle when your best friend is someone like Charlie Hodge or Red West or any of the MM. It's not like when Charlie woke up in the morning he said "maybe I'll stop by and see Elvis." It was mostly "I wonder what Elvis is going to do today." You had guys trying to protect Elvis' pickles for gosh sakes. When you have a whole little eco system that revolves solely around you, it's quite easy to become self-centered. When you think about the relationship between Elvis and the guys was very dehumanizing on both parts. You have the guys want to please Elvis as much because he's ELVIS and lives this super powered lifestyle as their personal allegiance to him. And on Elvis' side you have a group of friends literally going out of their way to do anything to please you. You can see how with even the best intentions, this could be a destructive unhealthy mix.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:05 am

midnightx wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:I think he should have married Ann Margret.

Why? It is more than likely that relationship would have also ended in divorce.

I believe Ann loved Elvis and he loved her. She could have also help him with his career and someone who might have stood up to him. I don’t think she was intimidated by him. But maybe the other way around, Elvis was intimidated by Ann.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 am

Elvis preferred younger women whom he could mold like clay into his ideal. Ann-Margret was not such a woman. She was a star in her own right. An independent woman who wouldn't have been content to stay quietly in the background while Elvis was out and about. At some point their egos (and career paths) would have clashed. There would have been a huge blowup that would have fueled the tabloid press for months. Marry Ann-Margret? If the world were a fairytale, yes. But in the real world?
A bad idea.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 am

Elvis was not the marrying kind. His career would not allow him to settle down. It would not matter if it was Pris, Ann, Linda or Ginger. That's the plain truth, unfortunately.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 am

greystoke wrote:I couldn't say who Elvis should have married or what he should have done with regards to his love life, but I would be surprised if he didn't miss someone with whom he spent so much time, surely confided in very deeply and fathered a child with. That they drifted apart is another telling, and sad chapter of his life, because the Elvis whom Priscilla divorced seemed to be an entirely different character to the one she married. And in the space of so few years . . .

I agree. The change might have even been a result of being forced into doing something that he did not want to do. But to be fair, both parties had their own agenda. If you read Priscilla's book and you put the time line in really chronological order, she was having an affair quite fast too.

This was no happy marriage and it must have been deeply disappointing for all parties concerned. But the pressure, the eye of the world was on Elvis, not so much on Priscilla.

And i do think that he did love Priscilla. I mean, why else would you keep a woman in your house for years? There must have been something there. And she was the mother of his child. And he loved LMP a lot. So... all in all, i do think he missed both Priscilla and his child.

When you add up all the events that happened in Elvis' private life, things we would call life event nowadays, one has to admire the initial strength and endurance Elvis showed, especially with a career going nowhere from 1965 onwards till 1968.

But something happened and the change started to become very visible from 1970 on.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:10 am

"Nobody" left Elvis??

Ok.

{Regis Vaughn . . . well, dunno if they really "went out." She was a Freshman; date a few times then went to the Junior-Senior}

Dixie Locke. Told his Mama she was marrying another boy.

Barbara Hearn. Just vanished. Married another guy.

June Juanico. Left him at a TRAIN STATION. {"train, train . . ."} Where she told him she was getting married. To somebody else.

Debra Paget just rejected his efforts altogether.

Natalie Wood said it was like "the dates I didn't have in high school" and was bored. No longer interested. Elvis apparently bragged about nature of "conquest" to the two "Phillips." If he said that, which would have been quite inconsiderate and inappropriate locker-room b.s., it was total B.S.

Glamour Girls from Hollywood . . . they just kinda vanished. Ann-Magaret? Well, I guess you could say he broke it up, if you want to get technical.

Anita Wood {sorta dissolved, but from those "in the mud" B.S. Army letters, she knew that he knew that she knew he was in "grind city" as he told "Hog Ears" about the German "chuckaloid." {Forget name at moment.}

Series of women who were around, and then not around. He generally never "left" anyone . . . but they knew what they had to do.

Series of one-nighters, some of which were just sitting around and him pontificating upon the meaning of life.

Series of movie co-stars, or female second bananas.

Joyce Bova left him.

His wife left him.

Sheila Ryan left him.

Linda Thompson left him. {which one left first??? How many stars are in the sky? I'll never know.}

Ginger Alden. He died before she could leave him. But she was ALWAYS leaving, much to his displeasure. Article in newspaper about "shots fired" or something to that effect, in the air, at Graceland when she walked off to go to mom's house in early '77. I read it on the microfilm with mine own eyes!

I MUST have left some out!!

rjm