Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jim Curtin --Elvis Collector

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Read that Jim Curtin passed away.

Re: Jim Curtin --Elvis Collector

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Barry wrote:Read that Jim Curtin passed away.

Was'nt he the fella who gave Elvis a Philly liberty bell (replica) onstage during the NYE Pittsburgh concert in '76 ?
He also had a very extensive Elvis collection....and published several Elvis books. Definitely one of the good guys in the Elvis world.
That's very sad news.

R.I.P. Mr. Curtin

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 pm

I bought some items from him when he sold his collection live on ebay in 2005. Some items were overpriced but what an incredible
collection....It was beyond words. The catalog of this auction which TCB fan shows in his post is AMAZING
RIP Jim Curtin
Last edited by jessewade on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 pm

That's sad ..Wow .

Say what you want about this guy ,but no one had a passion for Elvis like this guy .
Basically stalked Elvis from what I have been told .
I met Jim a few times during Elvis week ,last time was 1999 .I don't think he went too often .
A little strange yes!!!!!!! but one of Elvis" biggest fans .
I was very lucky to buy a large chunk of his collection .
Truely the greatest collection I had ever seen & well documented .
Everything had to be in Pristine shape for his personality .

I do know he had a few emotional issues lately with his life ,so I hope he is in a good place now .

RIP man .......you were one of the biggys in the Elvis Collector world .

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 am

I hope that Andrew Hearn doesn't mind me stepping in but....it was pneumonia that felled Mr. Curtin. :(

R.I.P, Mr. Curtin.....:(

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:12 am

"The Darby Devil" was one of the biggest characters ever in our Elvis world! I had been collecting Elvis's records from all over the world for about six months in 1973 when I heard about him and phoned him that Sept and what an experience. While my knowledge of foreign releases far surpassed what he knew, he completely floored me by telling me about U.S. records I had never heard about like TV GUIDE; all the SP's and SPD's; Dinah Shore; and loads and loads of other rarities. It was like he was talking in a foreign language. Over the years I realized that records were not his main Elvis interest - photos were and to some extent buttons and just about anything else with Elvis' name and likeness on it.

Jim was literally the "original Elvis freak" (as he called himself) and he excelled in grinding you down in trades and he usually always was the one who came out ahead. Sometimes we'd be on the phone for SEVEN hours straight trying to work something out. It was always an exhausting experience as he always made you work but it was actually fun thinking back on it now.

Most people don't know this but HE was the one who came up with the name - THE '68 COMEBACK - for the NBC 1968 TV SPECIAL and not only did I use it for one of my early bootleg LP's but that term was and has been used millions of times by "normal" people ever since. He also was always appreciative that I gave him some publicity on my ROCKIN WITH ELVIS ON NEW YEARS EVE bootleg LP as most people in the ELvis world had really not heard of him at that time.

Jim Curtin lived and breathed Elvis more than ANYONE I've ever known and in fact became Elvis (in a way) after Elvis died by putting on the jumpsuit and doing the act. Up until that time no one who knew him ever knew he could sing let along put on a pretty credible tribute show.

I could go and and on about the thirty eight years I knew him although that would take a lot of writing but the reality is that it's really sad and hard to believe that he's no longer with us.

Love him or hate him but there was absolutely no one ever in our world who was like him.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 am

I do know Elvis loved Jim because he was so loyal

A great fan and a legend to me as a collector.

R.I.P Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:21 am

Jim also was an ETA... I saw him do his show back in the late 70's. I had several opportunities to tradde with him in the 70's...an interesting guy for sure. RIPJim.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 am

I'll always appreciate Jim Curtin for the nice things he said to Elvis on 12-31-76.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 am

The guitar you see Elvis holding on the cover is the one Jim had made for him.
Jim was leaning on my shoulder as they both thanked each other .....he was a true fan indeed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:07 am

RIP Jim, you did good!

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:39 am

"Merry Christmas. Happy Birthday. Happy Bicentennial, and I love you."

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:41 am

elvisjock wrote:"Merry Christmas. Happy Birthday. Happy Bicentennial, and I love you."

That's it!

And so, Jim has now faced the final Curtain.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:56 am

Hey Doc! This is priceless! What a great, great comment!! Brilliant!

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:12 am

Sad to hear about this. Seems like he was a great fan. R.I.P. Jim

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:21 am

RIP Jim

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 am

wwelvis wrote:Hey Doc! This is priceless! What a great, great comment!! Brilliant!

I was told Jim had a great sense of humour -- is this untrue?

My first post on this topic was straightforward and heartfelt:

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'll always appreciate Jim Curtin for the nice things he said to Elvis on 12-31-76.

If Jim would not have appreciated my other reply, I'll be happy to remove it.

Let me know.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:10 am

I'm fine with it.... May he rest in peace. I have one of his books and recall
some of the lore about him.

In time I'd like hear more about this "super-fan."

All of us are rather obsessive but try to keep it in perpective with the frankly
more important things in life. I do hope he had a lot of joy in this past-time.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 am

Doc, don't know how anyone could be offended by your sincere comments. Jim spoke for many of us at that New Year's Eve show. A highlight from that great release.

Steve Lecher

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 am

RIP Jim

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm

I received the 'Unseen Elvis' book as a present some years ago. I'd never heard of the guy til then, and I haven't heard anything about him until today.
Sad news.

I can't imagine what I'd have said to Elvis if I had the chance to meet him. I think Jim came up with something pretty fitting.
Was what he said captured by Elvis' mic when he said it?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Sad news. It comes to us all, of course. I got his auction catalogue and wondered if much of the stuff actually sold due to the overblown and inflated prices on most of it. But what a collection it was. I wonder what will happen to it all now?
Sad.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Sad news to hear a fellow fan passed away.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

TONY wrote:Sad news. It comes to us all, of course. I got his auction catalogue and wondered if much of the stuff actually sold due to the overblown and inflated prices on most of it. But what a collection it was. I wonder what will happen to it all now?
Sad.

70% of the items were sold during the first auction session, a second one took place a few weeks later for the unsold items . Don't know if they sold then. I received the list and there remained many interesting items . I wish I could have bought more items during the first session, unfortunately most of the starting prices were far too high + you had to pay another 20% to the auction house + VAT when you live outside the USA

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Sad to hear this. I have his book Unseen Elvis which has loads of fantastic candid pics. RIP Jim.