Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Who saw elvis live in concert

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey guys as a young fan 22 years old so I was unable to see elvis live so my question is who on this message board saw elvis live? What was it like? What concert did you see live? Because i just love hearing stories of people who saw elvis live.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Good thread, I think we've had a few of these before but it's always nice to hear them again. It'd be great to get some detailed responses such as the atmosphere, how crazy were the fans, any funny or memorable stuff, etc.

I think there's someone here who was present during the '68 Special, or so I've heard.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 pm

There are some around here who had this privilege. I was too young (born 1972) and far away from where it all happened at the time, sadly. Love to read the stories though.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Alexander wrote:There are some around here who had this privilege. I was too young (born 1972) and far away from where it all happened at the time, sadly. Love to read the stories though.


+1

Same country, same name, one year younger :P

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm

I was lucky enough to see him twice. The first time in August of 73 in Vegas. I was 12. My Mom wanted to see him, I didn't but it made me a fan. The second time was on April 23rd 1976 in Denver.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Few years ago the ultimate topic around this was started and all members who saw Elvis contributed in a great way with many great stories.
Search and you will find...

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 pm

I have been lucky enough to see 6 shows, 3 in 1972 and 3 in 1973. all in Las Vagas. I have reviewed these on previous threads but when I have more time, would be happy to talk about them again!

The photo of myself sitting in the porch at Gracelands, was taken a week before seeing the first show.

Chris.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:
Alexander wrote:There are some around here who had this privilege. I was too young (born 1972) and far away from where it all happened at the time, sadly. Love to read the stories though.


+1

Same country, same name, one year younger :P


Same passion for good music obviously. Makes up for that one year, pal!

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:I have been lucky enough to see 6 shows, 3 in 1972 and 3 in 1973. all in Las Vagas. I have reviewed these on previous threads but when I have more time, would be happy to talk about them again!

The photo of myself sitting in the porch at Gracelands, was taken a week before seeing the first show.

Chris.


How the hell did you get to sit on the front porch of Graceland in 1972?!

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 pm

I saw Elvis twice (July 17 1975 and July 30 1976). I've written about my experiences at least on two occasions in the past. A search of this site will turn up those posts.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Eight concerts. Talked about them before but here is my list once again.
Aug. 15, 1969 ds.
Nov. 10, 1970
Nov. 13, 1970
Nov. 11, 1972
Oct. 13, 1974 ms.
Dec. 3, 1975
May 7, 1976 ms.
Nov. 28, 1976

I was in my late teens and 20's and these were great times with Elvis. Someone here likes to write about the blue haired old ladies that went to Elvis concerts. Not true. Elvis fans were of all ages but most of them were around my age, teenagers, and young adults in there 20's and 30's. Another one is about the bored Vegas gamblers that attended Elvis shows in Vegas. When Elvis walked out on stage in Vegas or Tahoe the audience went crazy, just like on tour. When people write stupid things about Elvis shows I pretty much ingnore them. I was there, I know the truth.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:21 pm

L Ray wrote:Eight concerts. Talked about them before but here is my list once again.
Aug. 15, 1969 ds.
Nov. 10, 1970
Nov. 13, 1970
Nov. 11, 1972
Oct. 13, 1974 ms.
Dec. 3, 1975
May 7, 1976 ms.
Nov. 28, 1976

I was in my late teens and 20's and these were great times with Elvis. Someone here likes to write about the blue haired old ladies that went to Elvis concerts. Not true. Elvis fans were of all ages but most of them were around my age, teenagers, and young adults in there 20's and 30's. Another one is about the bored Vegas gamblers that attended Elvis shows in Vegas. When Elvis walked out on stage in Vegas or Tahoe the audience went crazy, just like on tour. When people write stupid things about Elvis shows I pretty much ingnore them. I was there, I know the truth.


You must have some fantastic memories man. So jealous!

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
L Ray wrote:Eight concerts. Talked about them before but here is my list once again.
Aug. 15, 1969 ds.
Nov. 10, 1970
Nov. 13, 1970
Nov. 11, 1972
Oct. 13, 1974 ms.
Dec. 3, 1975
May 7, 1976 ms.
Nov. 28, 1976

I was in my late teens and 20's and these were great times with Elvis. Someone here likes to write about the blue haired old ladies that went to Elvis concerts. Not true. Elvis fans were of all ages but most of them were around my age, teenagers, and young adults in there 20's and 30's. Another one is about the bored Vegas gamblers that attended Elvis shows in Vegas. When Elvis walked out on stage in Vegas or Tahoe the audience went crazy, just like on tour. When people write stupid things about Elvis shows I pretty much ingnore them. I was there, I know the truth.


You must have some fantastic memories man. So jealous!



I do. 1969 was the best. I can still see him walking out on stage with that big smile. As soon as he appeared the audience went crazy. He was one happy guy in 1969. These things don't always come accross on the live recordings but I do like the live recordings from the shows. So glad that RCA recorded them.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:42 pm

L Ray wrote:Eight concerts. Talked about them before but here is my list once again.
Aug. 15, 1969 ds.
Nov. 10, 1970
Nov. 13, 1970
Nov. 11, 1972
Oct. 13, 1974 ms.
Dec. 3, 1975
May 7, 1976 ms.
Nov. 28, 1976

I was in my late teens and 20's and these were great times with Elvis. Someone here likes to write about the blue haired old ladies that went to Elvis concerts. Not true. Elvis fans were of all ages but most of them were around my age, teenagers, and young adults in there 20's and 30's. Another one is about the bored Vegas gamblers that attended Elvis shows in Vegas. When Elvis walked out on stage in Vegas or Tahoe the audience went crazy, just like on tour. When people write stupid things about Elvis shows I pretty much ingnore them. I was there, I know the truth.

Amen to that brother!!

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:I have been lucky enough to see 6 shows, 3 in 1972 and 3 in 1973. all in Las Vagas. I have reviewed these on previous threads but when I have more time, would be happy to talk about them again!

The photo of myself sitting in the porch at Gracelands, was taken a week before seeing the first show.

Chris.


How the hell did you get to sit on the front porch of Graceland in 1972?!


Didn't I tell you Elvis and I were budies, he invited me over, to chill out for the day!!!

Chris.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Sorry Good Time Charlie, coudn't resist above comment.

I was one of dozens there. Uncle Vester was the gate keeper on duty and we were allowed to wander at will, up to the front of the mansion. Not many stars living would allow that! I was sitting on the porch with the friend that I went with, can't remember who took the photo may even have been Elvis's uncle as he was up the house with us, as I took pictures of him.

Sitting there, you can under stand my excitment, as within the week I would be watching Elvis live on stage in Las Vegas.

Chris.
Last edited by Chris Roberts on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 pm

I saw him opening night at the Garden, 5th row just a few seats right of center stage. I was 11 and have never seen a reaction like that in my life. Spectacular!

Here's my ticket stub:

Image

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 pm

VEGAS74 wrote:
L Ray wrote:Eight concerts. Talked about them before but here is my list once again.
Aug. 15, 1969 ds.
Nov. 10, 1970
Nov. 13, 1970
Nov. 11, 1972
Oct. 13, 1974 ms.
Dec. 3, 1975
May 7, 1976 ms.
Nov. 28, 1976

I was in my late teens and 20's and these were great times with Elvis. Someone here likes to write about the blue haired old ladies that went to Elvis concerts. Not true. Elvis fans were of all ages but most of them were around my age, teenagers, and young adults in there 20's and 30's. Another one is about the bored Vegas gamblers that attended Elvis shows in Vegas. When Elvis walked out on stage in Vegas or Tahoe the audience went crazy, just like on tour. When people write stupid things about Elvis shows I pretty much ingnore them. I was there, I know the truth.

Amen to that brother!!


Amen to that also. I was lucky enough to see 31 Elvis shows.
August 13, 1969 DS + MS
August 14, 1969 DS + MS
4x August 1972 LV
11x August/September 1973 including CS
10x August/September1974 including CS
June 25, 1977
June 26, 1977

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Robert wrote:Few years ago the ultimate topic around this was started and all members who saw Elvis contributed in a great way with many great stories.
Search and you will find...


The thread should remain a permanent sticky on the board.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Below are the concerts I attended. My favorite was the one on June 19, 1972 (6th row) Wichita, Kansas. The last one, front row, center, in Kansas City in 1977, was particularly sad for the physical condition Elvis was in.

November 15, 1971: Kansas City Municipal Auditorium (Balony);

June 19, 1972: Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas (6th Row);

August, 1973: Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas (Dinner Show and Midnight Show);

June 29, 1974: Kansas City Municipal Auditorium (Evening Show);

October 7, 1974: Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas;

April 21, 1976: Kemper Arena, Kansas City;

December 27, 1976: Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas;

June 18, 1977: Kemper Arena, Kansas City (Front Row, Center).

MT

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:10 am

I'd give anything to see Elvis live :cry: :cry:

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 am

My Elvis in concert experience began on April 13th, 1972 and ended sadly on June 1st, 1977. In between there were 10 more shows for a total of 12. It all began in late February or early March 1972 when I heard on the radio that Elvis was coming to Charlotte, NC which is about 100 miled from my hometown of Greenville, SC. The next Sunday there was an ad in the local paper for the show. I still have that newspaper ad. Tickets would go on sale Monday and were mail order only. Of course I was at the post office on Monday and paid extra for special delivery to get the letter there ASAP. One day I went to the mailbox and a letter from the Charlotte Coliseum was there. Had they returned my check or were there tickets inside? I opened the letter and pulled out 3 light green tickets with ELVIS in bold black letters, Thursday April 13 8:30 pm. Doors open at 7:00. I was very, very happy to say the least? Then I started worrying about things like would I die before April 13th? Would something else happen to prevent me from going? Well the day finally arrived. I left work early in the afternoon. The 24 floor elevator ride down took about 2 hours or so it seemed. I arrived home to find mother(my Elvis influence) and my then wife waiting. Would my mothers car make the 100 mile trip, or maybe a flat tire? We made it to the Charlotte Coliseum without a hitch. We made it inside shortly after seven and after purchasing 2 different picture/tour books for $2 each we made it to our seats. Still well over an hour to go before showtime. I planned on not moving again until the show was over. I did not want to miss anything. Our seats were in the back about midway up but pretty much facing the stage straight on. There was a long banner hung across the front of the stage proclaiming Elvis-Now as seen in Elvis On Tour. A large stack of speakers hung over the middle of the stage. Man was I ready. Finally the lights went dark and Jackie Kahane took the stage and then the Sweets which was followed by an intermission that seemed to alst forever. As the musicians slowly made there way to the stage and fiddled with their instruments the excitement was reaching a peak. The lights went dark again and the the first notes of 2001 beganl, Imagine if you can sitting in an arena not knowing how an Elvis concert begins and hearing 2001 for the first time in a totally dark room. That's where I was. Then Elvis bounced up on stage and I really couldn't believe my eyes. He looked great, thin and tanned. The white jump suit and cape were beautiful. Elvis was gone way to quick barely an hour on stage but certainly and hour I will always cherish. One I will never forget. My mother said I can't believe we were beathing the same air as Elvis! I was lucky enough to see Elvis again 2 days later in Macon at the afternoon show.. My seats were on the floor and I remember girls standing in their seats jumping up and down. Another very good show. I wouldn't see Elvis again until the following summer in Atlanta. Again floor seats pretty far back and I still have some pics I took at that show where Elvis is very small, LOL. March 9th, 1974 I was back in Charlotte for the afternoon show. Another great day but sort of sad as this was to have been my father's first Elvis show but he passed away one month be fore the show. April 30th 1975 in Atlanta was a little shocking as this was an Elvis I hadn't seen wearing a 2 piece suit and obviously overweight, Skip to July 22nd Asheville, NC. I saw the first of the 3 Asheville shows and that was the most routine show of the 3 but one of my favorites. Elvis looked like a different person than what I had seen less than 3 months earlier in Atlanta. Asheville was very small and I had very good seats. Again this show is high on my list of favorite shows. An afternoon and evening show in Charlotte in 1976 and then to end the year I was in Atlanta for the Dec. 30th show which you are all familiar with. Great show but my seats were very high up on the side. Next was Charlotte again on Feb. 20th, 1977 a show which was released by FTD and Unchained Melody. The final curtain for me and Elvis was back in Macon, Ga on June 1st, 1977. This was the first time that it hit me that Elvis had some serious health problems. This was the first time that I saw Elvis give up the mike to his backup singer and sit back and listen. Kathy and Sherrill performed if I remember correctly. I remember on the way home thinking I was in no hurry to see another Elvis show. Of course I never got another chance as Elvis went home some 10 weeks later. Thanks Elvis for all the memories and thanks for making millions of people all over the world happy! For this we will never forget you!!

PS-Elvis never played my hometown but my best friend told me the manager of the old Auditorium which has long been imploded told him that Elvis wanted to play Greenville on a Sunday but they had a dog show scheduled so it never happened. I have never really liked dogs ever since, LOL. That same friend had front row center seats for the August Asheville show that never was. He's always said he would never forgive Elvis for dying, LOL.

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 am

Wow! MT I would love to hear about these shows...I grew up in Wichita and now live in the KC area...and have been to Kemper and Henry Levitt (now Charles Koch arena). How was the sound...highlights...etc? I would love details. Are you still in Kansas?

MysteryTrain wrote:Below are the concerts I attended. My favorite was the one on June 19, 1972 (6th row) Wichita, Kansas. The last one, front row, center, in Kansas City in 1977, was particularly sad for the physical condition Elvis was in.

November 15, 1971: Kansas City Municipal Auditorium (Balony);

June 19, 1972: Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas (6th Row);

August, 1973: Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas (Dinner Show and Midnight Show);

June 29, 1974: Kansas City Municipal Auditorium (Evening Show);

October 7, 1974: Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas;

April 21, 1976: Kemper Arena, Kansas City;

December 27, 1976: Henry Levitt Arena, Wichita, Kansas;

June 18, 1977: Kemper Arena, Kansas City (Front Row, Center).

MT

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Sorry Good Time Charlie, coudn't resist above comment.

I was one of dozens there. Uncle Vester was the gate keeper on duty and we were allowed to wander at will, up to the front of the mansion. Not many stars living would allow that! I was sitting on the porch with the friend that I went with, can't remember who took the photo may even have been Elvis's uncle as he was up the house with us, as I took pictures of him.

Sitting there, you can under stand my excitment, as within the week I would be watching Elvis live on stage in Las Vegas.

Chris.


Haha that's fine.

That sounds so cool, what a great week you had! Was Elvis at home the day you was at Graceland?

Re: Who saw elvis live in concert

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Amsterdam 2003, Elvis never showed up.

Great show :)))

Damn I'm so jelous of you guys, dammit.
It's only reason I wish I was older than I am.