Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

VERNON AND AUNT DELTA AFTER ELVIS Died

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:19 am

does anybody have info how the lived after ep died ....where there still people from the memphis maffia,
was delta able to go everywhere ,,,when graceland open the doors....etc

Re: VERNON AND AUNT DELTA AFTER ELVIS DEAD

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:23 am

This link gives a bit of info on it. I believe Charlie Hodge was allowed to stay for a while and Vernon stayed at his house on Dolan. So there would have been at least Minnie May, Delta and Charlie. Not sure where Vester lived. The cooks and maids would have stayed for a while I assume.

http://www.elvisblog.net/blog/_archives/2009/5/16/4187980.html

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 am

Delboy wrote:This link gives a bit of info on it. I believe Charlie Hodge was allowed to stay for a while and Vernon stayed at his house on Dolan. So there would have been at least Minnie May, Delta and Charlie. Not sure where Vester lived. The cooks and maids would have stayed for a while I assume.

Did anyone ever find out if that story was true? I remember reading it a long time ago, but there was more to it or maybe a different time where Elvis didn't want to kick her off the plane even though she was yelling and drinking heavily.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 am

Charlie stayed at Graceland for 5 months after Elvis passed away. Vernon fired him and moved into the garage apartment Charlie used to live in. At least Dick Grob, Dean Nichopoulos and Al Strada kept working as security. Billy Smith contiuned to live behind Graceland in a trailer for a few months. He returned in 1982 and worked there to help open the house for public and after that as a tour guide.

Elvisfan10 wrote:
Delboy wrote:This link gives a bit of info on it. I believe Charlie Hodge was allowed to stay for a while and Vernon stayed at his house on Dolan. So there would have been at least Minnie May, Delta and Charlie. Not sure where Vester lived. The cooks and maids would have stayed for a while I assume.

Did anyone ever find out if that story was true? I remember reading it a long time ago, but there was more to it or maybe a different time where Elvis didn't want to kick her off the plane even though she was yelling and drinking heavily.

The story is told in a book Revelations from Memphis Mafia by Billy Smith, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike. Delta threaned to shoot Marty. Later that evening Billy was wakened by Elvis. Elvis was angry because of Delta's behaviour and said he was going to kick that "c*nt" out of Graceland. Smith calmed Elvis down but Elvis made Delta phone and apolize from everybody in the plane.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Aunt Delta was allowed to live at Graceland until her death. I saw her walking her dog in the backyard 1984. Part of the house was sealed off for her privacy during the early house tours.I think this was a request by Vernon to Priscilla. Not 100% sure.

Re: VERNON AND AUNT DELTA AFTER ELVIS Died

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Elvis ruled in his Last Will that any relative living at Graceland at the time of his death was allowed to live there as long as they wished.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

I have a photo of Aunt Delta walking two small ,shaggy Dogs on a leash at the back of Graceland, and also of Harold Lloyd(?) and U Vester, at the gates. I just do not know where those Photos are, I need to seriously sort out all the Books & Mags :? I believe this was just before Graceland was opened to the Public, and was taken by a Dutch friend of mine.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 pm

i think it was a strange time......when elvis dead .....vernon still there....1982 graceland open ..with still aunt delta ,was she allowed to go upstairs...

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:04 pm

ep2 wrote:i think it was a strange time......when elvis dead .....vernon still there....1982 graceland open ..with still aunt delta ,was she allowed to go upstairs...

Aunt Delta roamed the house freely, although the current inventory of material in EPEs archives would have been greater had she not been given this access.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 pm

thecolonel wrote:
ep2 wrote:i think it was a strange time......when elvis dead .....vernon still there....1982 graceland open ..with still aunt delta ,was she allowed to go upstairs...

Aunt Delta roamed the house freely, although the current inventory of material in EPEs archives would have been greater had she not been given this access.

She didn't just roam the house, she ran it, especially after Vernon died.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 pm

strange....she died just 1993.....so all the time there was still somebody who lived there,did she had any close contact with elvis....

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Marko wrote:Charlie stayed at Graceland for 5 months after Elvis passed away. Vernon fired him and moved into the garage apartment Charlie used to live in. At least Dick Grob, Dean Nichopoulos and Al Strada kept working as security. Billy Smith contiuned to live behind Graceland in a trailer for a few months. He returned in 1982 and worked there to help open the house for public and after that as a tour guide.

Elvisfan10 wrote:

The story is told in a book Revelations from Memphis Mafia by Billy Smith, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike. Delta threaned to shoot Marty. Later that evening Billy was wakened by Elvis. Elvis was angry because of Delta's behaviour and said he was going to kick that "c*nt" out of Graceland. Smith calmed Elvis down but Elvis made Delta phone and apolize from everybody in the plane.
Was that the same event as the one on the Christmas flight? I remember reading about Marty being threatened and Elvis blowing a fuse, but I don't remember the date.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:
Marko wrote:Charlie stayed at Graceland for 5 months after Elvis passed away. Vernon fired him and moved into the garage apartment Charlie used to live in. At least Dick Grob, Dean Nichopoulos and Al Strada kept working as security. Billy Smith contiuned to live behind Graceland in a trailer for a few months. He returned in 1982 and worked there to help open the house for public and after that as a tour guide.

Elvisfan10 wrote:

Was that the same event as the one on the Christmas flight? I remember reading about Marty being threatened and Elvis blowing a fuse, but I don't remember the date.

Yes it was. T.G. Sheppard was on the flight and was also verbally abused by Delta.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

does anybody know how the contat was those later years....was elvis the same as on stage ...those last year ....

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Marko wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:

Elvisfan10 wrote:

Yes it was. T.G. Sheppard was on the flight and was also verbally abused by Delta.
Oh okay, thank you for clearing that up, it makes much more sense with the complete story. I read part of the story, but the blog had the other half of the story that was missing from the one I read.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 pm

did vernon talked about elvis dead about the possible reason....

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 am

elvisjock wrote:
thecolonel wrote:

She didn't just roam the house, she ran it, especially after Vernon died.

Vernon and Delta (by default, because of Vernon's health) ran everything. In fact, it was Delta, et al. who performed the very first inventory/cataloging after EP's passing (she also oversaw the first clean-up on 8-16-77, but that's another story). She was not happy when Graceland was opened up to the public and although they tried to get her to move, she wouldn't. Although she could be quite a cantankerous elderly lady at times, she also had a heart of gold for those who were able to break thru that hard exterior.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 am

N880EP wrote:Vernon and Delta (by default, because of Vernon's health) ran everything. In fact, it was Delta, et al. who performed the very first inventory/cataloging after EP's passing (she also oversaw the first clean-up on 8-16-77, but that's another story). She was not happy when Graceland was opened up to the public and although they tried to get her to move, she wouldn't. Although she could be quite a cantankerous elderly lady at times, she also had a heart of gold for those who were able to break thru that hard exterior.

Was it not Aunt Delta who ruined Elvis' Christmas in 1975 with her hideous behavior and unkind comments towards her nephew?

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:22 am

From Lot of Artifacts thread...
This photo was taken in the first half of the 1980s during one of the earliest annual Christmas at Graceland lighting ceremonies. Pictured are Elvis's cousin Patsy Presley Gambill, EPE associate Wallace Madewell, and Elvis's aunt Delta Presley Biggs. Delta lived at Graceland from 1967 until her death in 1993. At the right is Delta's Pomeranian, Edmund, which belonged to Elvis orignally. But, Edmund became very fond of Delta and the two became inseperable, so Elvis gave the dog to her.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36912

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:09 am

Lisa remembers her as a "diabetic alcoholic" who was not to be toyed with.

It was an odd feeling, during the first years of tours, to walk through the house and know she was behind closed doors.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:54 pm

elvisjock wrote:Lisa remembers her as a "diabetic alcoholic" who was not to be toyed with.

It was an odd feeling, during the first years of tours, to walk through the house and know she was behind closed doors.

I remember that strange feeling as well, but it was also somewhat cool, with family still in the house, it was a more intimate affair during those early tours.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:55 am

didn't Delta leave everything she had to her dog in her "Last will and testament"?

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 am

elvisjock wrote:Lisa remembers her as a "diabetic alcoholic" who was not to be toyed with.

You know...I felt the same way, as if I was trespassing in 1982

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 am

Ricky wrote:

You know...I felt the same way, as if I was trespassing in 1982

The very first time I saw Graceland was in the spring of 1979, and it felt warm and welcoming. You couldn't go in the house, yet, and who would have thought that, then?

It felt great walking up the drive, and walking back down, taking your own sweet time. Gate guard still at the gate: I think it was Uncle Vester. And a hand lettered sign asking for contributions to help with the "upkeep" of Graceland, signed by Vernon. There was a box, with a place to put money in: I put in a 20 dollar bill.

The graves of Elvis and his mother were very sad, but nothing felt out of place, including the people who were there.

Never once felt like I was trespassing, for whatever reason. It had such a warm feeling, especially in the earlier days, even after it first opened.

rjm
P.S. -- The night before, we had reached Memphis via highway 55, then somehow got onto 51 (I wasn't driving, so I don't recall how that was done, and never took 55 again), and soon after we entered Tennessee, we drove RIGHT BY GRACELAND! This long wall: like in pictures :smt060 I was kind of young . . . and I swear, I almost passed out. It was REAL!!! I was going crazy. "Stop! Stop!" I yelled. We were on a highway, of course, and moving at a good clip.

P.P.S. Aw, heck: I'll throw caution to the wind, and show you a pic I took earlier that day, in Tupelo. See, we didn't go up 78: we somehow ended up in Jackson, then went up. That's why it was nighttime. Never happened again.
Here you go. Fellow netizens, from wherever ye roam: This is MY PICTURE, that I TOOK! With MY CAMERA! (I think this one is matted on a board: thick, hard cardboard for photographs. Gives the photo a hard surface so you can frame it or show it, and was scanned that way.)
tupelo_copyrighted.JPG

Any nice folks here who wish to use it for fair use purposes, just drop me a line, and no prob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:41 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by mimi on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.