Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How did ...Mexican Sundial Suit

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 pm

I 1977 Elvis often used the Mexican Sundial Suit on tour - night after night almost.

I have been wondering how Elvis' staff (Al Strada) got the suit ready night after night. See Elvis was sweating profusely at every show and his body odor from his sweat-stained arm holes must have smelled quite strong. Did they somehow clean/wash the suits?

Remember Gene Doucette only made one Mexican Sundial Suit.

Re: How did ...Mexican Sundial Suit

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Didn't they use some kind of dry cleaning stuff? But I think, it must have smelled nevertheless.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

There was 2 sundial suits right?
One with 2 buttons on the sleves the other one with 3 buttons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Charlie's face (and pose) in that pic is priceless.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Billy Budd wrote: ..his body odor from his sweat-stained arm holes must have smelled quite strong.
Did they somehow clean/wash the suits?

What a high level, grounbreaking question, Billy B.
Yes, the suit was cleaned.

:shock:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Yep, I even think Elvis took a shower between shows too :D

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Robert wrote:
Billy Budd wrote: ..his body odor from his sweat-stained arm holes must have smelled quite strong.

I do know that Charlie Hodge had a jumpsuit dry cleaned locally between shows, but it was the bicenntennial suit. I have a pic of an employee posing with the suit.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Robert wrote:

Absolutely groundbreaking indeed! Well i know this question was a little silly but i just wanted to know. :D

1 or 2 Mexican Sundial Suits? Only one. I have been talking to Gene Doucette and he confirmed to me that only ONE Mexican Sunidal Suit was made back in 1974. The bottoms simply felt off the more and more Elvis used the suit. The suit was also made bigger - Doucette confirmed to me - so Elvis could fit it in 1977.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Tomek wrote:There was 2 sundial suits right?

There was only one suit made. That is only pure rumor and nothing more. Even Bill Belew's list even confirms that there is only one suit made for this jumpsuit.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Billy Budd wrote:
Robert wrote:

Absolutely groundbreaking indeed! Well i know this question was a little silly but i just wanted to know. :D

1 or 2 Mexican Sundial Suits? Only one. I have been talking to Gene Doucette and he confirmed to me that only ONE Mexican Sunidal Suit was made back in 1974. The bottoms simply felt off the more and more Elvis used the suit. The suit was also made bigger - Doucette confirmed to me - so Elvis could fit it in 1977.

One has to wonder why he was so partial to that suit in '77. He was self-conscious about his weight-gain, yet he wore a suit with a big golden bulls-eye on his stomach region.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Tomek wrote:There was 2 sundial suits right?

There was only ONE Sundial suit. When Elvis lost one button, somebody cut one button on the other sleeve too, to make it "symetric". That's all.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:38 pm

midnightx wrote:
Billy Budd wrote:
Robert wrote:

One has to wonder why he was so partial to that suit in '77. He was self-conscious about his weight-gain, yet he wore a suit with a big golden bulls-eye on his stomach region.

I've always wondered that. There surely had to be other suits from that batch that could be let out with his weight gain. A dark suit like the dark blue with silver eagle would have been better. He wore that in 76 when he was quite heavy. He had to still have the suits with the jackets from 75.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 pm

midnightx wrote:
Billy Budd wrote:
Robert wrote:

I think it really showed his lack of interest for the shows, just use the same one for most nights in 1977. And as for showering, according to the person who was with Elvis most the last 18-22 months of his life, Elvis the last year or so of his life, the closest he came to a bath, was Billy washing his hair for him, and he always did that and brushed his teeth.
Last edited by elvispresleyfan1935 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 am

Well. the truth is that there was only 1 Sundial suit. It was dry cleaned in every city & Elvis NEVER stopped bathing! (ridiculous)

And I think, along with comfort, Elvis identified with the symbolism of the suit. Hell, maybe he just really liked it! But, since it was from '74, I am leaning towards the symbolism of the suit attracted Elvis. It's been said he wore it on purpose. There's allegedly hidden symbols, etc. in the suit.

I don't know for sure.

It happens to be one of my all-time favorite suits he ever wore.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 am

Phoenix78 wrote:Well. the truth is that there was only 1 Sundial suit. It was dry cleaned in every city & Elvis NEVER stopped bathing! (ridiculous)

And I think, along with comfort, Elvis identified with the symbolism of the suit. Hell, maybe he just really liked it! But, since it was from '74, I am leaning towards the symbolism of the suit attracted Elvis. It's been said he wore it on purpose. There's allegedly hidden symbols, etc. in the suit.

I don't know for sure.

It happens to be one of my all-time favorite suits he ever wore.

Why? At a time of his life he looked the worse thats your favorite?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 am

Phoenix78 wrote:Well. the truth is that there was only 1 Sundial suit. It was dry cleaned in every city & Elvis NEVER stopped bathing! (ridiculous).

Are you sure about that?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 am

Phoenix78 wrote:Well. the truth is that there was only 1 Sundial suit. It was dry cleaned in every city & Elvis NEVER stopped bathing! (ridiculous)

Well I'm sorry but I'm going to go with Billy Smith you know the one who was with Elvis the most in the last year or two of his life, sorry.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 am

midnightx wrote:
Phoenix78 wrote:Well. the truth is that there was only 1 Sundial suit. It was dry cleaned in every city & Elvis NEVER stopped bathing! (ridiculous).

Are you sure about that?

He might think he's sure but he is incorrect.

By this point in his life, it was Linda Thompson who showed Elvis these pills that they said looked like pieces of candy, and Elvis was fascinated by them, so he thought it would eliminate body odor and such, but it didn't work. Like I said the closest Elvis came to bathing in the last year or so of his life, was getting his hair washed and brushing his teeth, he never stopped doing those two atleast.

I know its hard to believe this stuff, because some look as Elvis was perfect til the end, he wasn't, he was burned out on performing, and likely life itself.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Are you sure about that?

He might think he's sure but he is incorrect.

By this point in his life, it was Linda Thompson who showed Elvis these pills that they said looked like pieces of candy, and Elvis was fascinated by them, so he thought it would eliminate body odor and such, but it didn't work. Like I said the closest Elvis came to bathing in the last year or so of his life, was getting his hair washed and brushing his teeth, he never stopped doing those two atleast.

I know its hard to believe this stuff, because some look as Elvis was perfect til the end, he wasn't, he was burned out on performing, and likely life itself.

Elvis wasn't perfect? Next you're gonna tell me there's no Easter Bunny....

As I have read & heard THESE SAME CLAIMS, it doesn't mean they are completely accurate.
A lot of B.S. has been circulated. You have to admit that. Or am I asking too much.

And unless YOU were there as it was happening, even though some other more reliable sources were, means you & everyone else has to look at things with an open mind & objectively.

And the suit just happens to be my favorite - that's it. It's very impressive.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree cause I'm kinda tired of catching crap from certain people all the time on here. I'm FAR from an Elvis beginner.
Maybe, just maybe, some of the things I say on here, although not popular, actually have some substance to them?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm

You can't hide behind the veil of "we weren't there" and justify your claims. Yes, we weren't there, but if you view the evidence that has been presented by people who were there with an "open mind and objectivity," it isn't difficult to get a sense of what was going on in Elvis' life during various periods. For example, with regards to Elvis' bathing issues during his final year, Billy Smith's testimony holds more weight than your position.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 pm

midnightx wrote:You can't hide behind the veil of "we weren't there" and justify your claims. Yes, we weren't there, but if you view the evidence that has been presented by people who were there with an "open mind and objectivity," it isn't difficult to get a sense of what was going on in Elvis' life during various periods. For example, with regards to Elvis' bathing issues during his final year, Billy Smith's testimony holds more weight than your position.

Elvis seems to have had a life long aversion to bathing. There are stories about how bad his feet smelled when he would take off his shoes when on the road in the 50's because he didn't wash them. There is a story in "Revelations" I think, that when traveling in the 60's, when Marty or Billy would go into Elvis's motel room to make sure he wasn't forgetting something, they would notice that none of the towels were ever used. There's the story that Priscilla had several shower heads mounted to hit from head to toe to get Elvis "more bathed" when he did step in the shower. And then there are the stories from Billy and Lamar about the final years and his lack of bathing and use of "deodorant" pills. Those pills are called: "Nullo." They are used by colostomy patients so their stool didn't smell.

http://www.nullo.com/index.html

Maybe this was a vestige of growing up poor with without easy access to hot water for bathing?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 pm

midnightx wrote: Billy Smith's testimony holds more weight than your position.

Could not agree more Midnightx.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 am

midnightx wrote:You can't hide behind the veil of "we weren't there" and justify your claims. Yes, we weren't there, but if you view the evidence that has been presented by people who were there with an "open mind and objectivity," it isn't difficult to get a sense of what was going on in Elvis' life during various periods. For example, with regards to Elvis' bathing issues during his final year, Billy Smith's testimony holds more weight than your position.

Hiding? Hardly bud. You obviously prefer a different period of Elvis' life, which is fine. You're just one of those guys that when the "goin' gets tough, you're.........................." Midnightx, where'd you go man?

Look, you can't pick & choose. (like some others...you know who you are on here.)
I, personally, don't like to kick a guy when he's down, which is why I MAKE IT A POINT to look at Elvis with an "open mind & objectivity." You know, just to be fair etc. (I know, it's a new concept)

You either like The Man or not. You either understand The Man or not.

He had his many faults.....give him a break & try (for once) to give him a little more credit.

Hell, Elvis is gonna be a "Hot Topic" years & years & YEARS after we are gone. The final years couldn't have been that bad? Of course not.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:15 am

I heard years ago that Elvis took a what they call a "jewish" bath only....

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 am

Phoenix78, over the years I have read many many books on Elvis from people who've worked with him in the entertainment field, the guys who saw the private EP, and I think I have a pretty good idea of what the man was like, in front of the crowd, and behind the scenes.

And as far as the pick and choose, I'm sorry if its a bad thing to like an EP era the most, when he was on top of the world like nobody had ever seen before.