Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Most Valuable Elvis 45's?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am

Is there a list available - in perhaps some article somewhere - of the most valuable Elvis 45's?

Also, is that a pickup on Elvis' guitar on the back of the his 1st album? It almost appears that there is a vertical pickup-type bar across the strings in one of the pictures.

Re: The Most Valuable Elvis 45's?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:32 pm

rotis wrote:Is there a list available - in perhaps some article somewhere - of the most valuable Elvis 45's?

Also, is that a pickup on Elvis' guitar on the back of the his 1st album? It almost appears that there is a vertical pickup-type bar across the strings in one of the pictures.

If you are talking about regular picture sleeve's from the USA, I would get the 'Gold Standard' sleeve's* from 1964; That's All Right, Good Rocking Tonight, All Shook Up Hound Dog and Heartbreak Hotel, From 1966; the Gold Standard Sleeve's, Joshua Fit The Battle and Milky White Way. From 1967; How Great Thou Art (airplay Special - promo) and from 1969 How Great Thou Art/His Hand In Mine. All are quire rare and very difficult to get without ring-wear, they almost all suffer from this because of the too tight packaging in the shipping boxes. Not so rare, but very difficult to get in MINT condition is 'Kissin' Coussins/It Hurts Me and 'I Really Don't Want To Know'.
Also are nice to collect are the four sleeve variants off 'Love Me Tender' - light pink, dark pink, green and Black and white

* The ONLY 1964 pressed 45's are the white label promo's, The 'dog on side' commonly found in these sleeve's were pressed in 1965 (strange!) and the 'dog on top' was pressed in 1959 (old stock)

By memphisflash53
By memphisflash53
By memphisflash53 at 2008-06-12
By memphisflash53
By memphisflash53

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

While they are sometimes quite valuaable I wasn't really interested in the sleeves. I am interested in knowing what 45 RECORDS are the most valuable - be it an extended play album or single release.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 pm

rotis wrote:While they are sometimes quite valuaable I wasn't really interested in the sleeves. I am interested in knowing what 45 RECORDS are the most valuable - be it an extended play album or single release.

Just 45's ? Well maybe, 'Old Shep' single sided promo, 'TV Guide presents Elvis' and the 5 SUN 45's - these would be quite expensive and hard to get ... Naturally there are a few more, but these spring to mind ...

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 pm

memphisflash wrote:If you are talking about regular picture sleeve's from the USA, I would get the 'Gold Standard' sleeve's* from 1964; That's All Right, Good Rocking Tonight, All Shook Up Hound Dog and Heartbreak Hotel, From 1966; the Gold Standard Sleeve's, Joshua Fit The Battle and Milky White Way. From 1967; How Great Thou Art (airplay Special - promo) and from 1969 How Great Thou Art/His Hand In Mine. All are quire rare and very difficult to get without ring-wear, they almost all suffer from this because of the too tight packaging in the shipping boxes. Not so rare, but very difficult to get in MINT condition is 'Kissin' Coussins/It Hurts Me and 'I Really Don't Want To Know'.
Also are nice to collect are the four sleeve variants off 'Love Me Tender' - light pink, dark pink, green and Black and white

Awesome collection! I love them all! Thank you for posting pics!

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Memphisflash - Thanks for responding. In retrospect I guess I would add that I would like to limit my question about the most valuable to commercial releases so I guess this might narrow it down to his 5 Sun singles. Is his 1st Sun single the most valuable one and if so then can that value be estimated by anyone?

Personally I have an RCA 45 extended play that contains 6 of the 12 songs from his 1st lp. It is one-half of a 2 -45 rpm set that I believe was only available when you purchased a certain model of RCA record player.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 pm

rotis wrote:Memphisflash - Thanks for responding. In retrospect I guess I would add that I would like to limit my question about the most valuable to commercial releases so I guess this might narrow it down to his 5 Sun singles. Is his 1st Sun single the most valuable one and if so then can that value be estimated by anyone?

Personally I have an RCA 45 extended play that contains 6 of the 12 songs from his 1st lp. It is one-half of a 2 -45 rpm set that I believe was only available when you purchased a certain model of RCA record player.

From the 5 SUN's, 'Milcow Blues Boogie', has less records pressed and with the combination of lower sales make this 45 the most valuable SUN. Among collectors though, everyone wants the first, so 'That's All Right' is probably the most sought after. I've seen a few unplayed mint 'That's All Right' copies been auctioned off for over $10.000!! and a 'played to death copy' for a mere $350. All depending on timing when or to whom it was sold. For years the most valuable Elvis single always was, 'TV Guide presents Elvis', but again - including the 2 inserts. Among the USA EP's (the one that you have) the, 'Elvis Presley' Victorola Record Player bonuses, SPD-22 (Double pocket - 2 records) and SPD-23 - (Triple pocket - 3 records) are the most rare ones. And are very hard to come by. But again, picture sleeve's are more important for high value than the records themselves. (unless they had no picture sleeve's). I regretfully don't have any of these, but I do have an (almost) true mint copy of the double pocket EP, Elvis Presley EPB-1254, with, shiny unplayed records ... (original black label, not the 'white label' bootleg)

By memphisflash53

And even 'common' EP's would be considered rare if they have their original inserts ... but that's an whole other matter ...

By memphisflash53
Last edited by memphisflash on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 pm

@memphisflash

your collection of 45s is more than stunning, probably the best I've seen!

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 pm

KempoDick wrote:@memphisflash

your collection of 45s is more than stunning, probably the best I've seen!

Just like your excéllent 10" and LP collection ... !

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm

Beautiful stuff! But what about the RCA-pressed, "TV Guide Presents Elvis" 45?

ORIG-ELVIS-PRESLEY-TV-GUIDE-PRESENTS-RARE-45-2-INSERTS

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Beautiful stuff! But what about the RCA-pressed, "TV Guide Presents Elvis" 45?

ORIG-ELVIS-PRESLEY-TV-GUIDE-PRESENTS-RARE-45-2-INSERTS

Wow!!! Is it your's ? That's a crown to any 45 collection !! Super

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:49 pm

memphisflash wrote:Wow!!! Is it yours ? That's a crown to any 45 collection !! Super

No, I only have a counterfeit copy. Is the 1956 original hard to find these days?

Click the link in my other post to see how much my example went for at eBay.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 am

Check out the top entry of page 4 of the picture section for some nice pics of my tv guide original.

elvisonline

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:53 am

Memphisflash - thanks again for the info. Yes, you do have a fantastic collection! It would be interesting to know what Elvis kept of his own recordings!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 am

elvisonline wrote:Check out the top entry of page 4 of the picture section for some nice pics of my tv guide original.

elvisonline

Here is the link!

Post subject: Re: RARE 45 SINGLE INC ELVIS TV GUIDE 56
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57864&p=853372#p853372

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:55 am

Here are some quick generalizations and not all inclusive.

When it comes to the standard release singles 7" 45 RPM:
All Sun records, those mentioned above.
All orange label Gold Standard series 45 RPMs.
Some dog on side Gold Standard series 45 RPMs (not listed above)
The 45s from the 1950s (black label, dog on top) missing the dog on top.
47-8188 (You're the) Devil in Disguise with incorrect song title (worth about $900)
http://www.elvisrecords.us/youre-the-de ... ng-around/

47-7777 It's Now Or Never missing piano track
http://www.elvisrecords.us/its-now-or-n ... -of-blues/

Then there are the Extended Play 45 RPMs:
All orange label Gold Standard.
All maroon label Gold Standard.
The EPs from the 1950s (black label, dog on top) missing the dog on top.

Then there are variations in the picture sleeves, for example.
47-7506 I Need Your Love Tonight with Elvis Sails back
http://www.elvisrecords.us/i-need-your- ... such-as-i/

47-8360 Viva Las Vegas with the Ask For! on bottom
http://www.elvisrecords.us/viva-las-vegas-whatd-i-say/

47-8500 Do The Clam with Ask For! on bottom
http://www.elvisrecords.us/do-the-clam-youll-be-gone/

47-9341 Big Boss Man with Ask For! on bottom (not documented anywhere but my site)
http://www.elvisrecords.us/big-boss-man ... t-know-me/

There are many others that are valuable.

Outside of the scope, there are "regular releases" of "Living Stereo" 45 RPM singles.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:57 am

memphisflash - you have an incredible collection!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:59 am

Great stuff, thanks for sharing

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 am

I thought the question was which are the most valuable Elvis 45's!! Well, first of all no one stated U.S. or foreign or just in general. And are you talking about the Top 5 , 10 or what?

But the examples shown above should NOT even be in this list. Contrary to what most people think SUN 45's are not THAT rare. They can be found ANY DAY on E BAY. And while there are loads of counterfeits out there there are also loads of real ones that can be found all the time. But I will agree that finding them in truly MINT condition is not easy.

Anyway, if we're talking about WORLDWIDE the rarest Elvis Presley 45RPM is the EPA 4325 German ELVIS SAILS EP with different pic cover which, in the opinion of serious collectors, IS the RAREST Elvis Presley record EVER! I've only heard of a few copies that exist.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 am

wwelvis - While I can see your point about availability sometimes affecting value it didn't matter to me in this case whether an Elvis 45 release was top 5, 10, 20 or 40. All that mattered to me at this moment was how VALUABLE the record is. I don't think rarity and value always coincide. I just wanted to know which records were worth the most.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:36 am

elvisrecords.us wrote:Here are some quick generalizations and not all inclusive.

When it comes to the standard release singles 7" 45 RPM:
All Sun records, those mentioned above.
All orange label Gold Standard series 45 RPMs.
Some dog on side Gold Standard series 45 RPMs (not listed above)
The 45s from the 1950s (black label, dog on top) missing the dog on top.
47-8188 (You're the) Devil in Disguise with incorrect song title (worth about $900)
http://www.elvisrecords.us/youre-the-de ... ng-around/

47-7777 It's Now Or Never missing piano track
http://www.elvisrecords.us/its-now-or-n ... -of-blues/

Then there are the Extended Play 45 RPMs:
All orange label Gold Standard.
All maroon label Gold Standard.
The EPs from the 1950s (black label, dog on top) missing the dog on top.

Then there are variations in the picture sleeves, for example.
47-7506 I Need Your Love Tonight with Elvis Sails back
http://www.elvisrecords.us/i-need-your- ... such-as-i/

47-8360 Viva Las Vegas with the Ask For! on bottom
http://www.elvisrecords.us/viva-las-vegas-whatd-i-say/

47-8500 Do The Clam with Ask For! on bottom
http://www.elvisrecords.us/do-the-clam-youll-be-gone/

47-9341 Big Boss Man with Ask For! on bottom (not documented anywhere but my site)
http://www.elvisrecords.us/big-boss-man ... t-know-me/

There are many others that are valuable.

Outside of the scope, there are "regular releases" of "Living Stereo" 45 RPM singles.

Yes, how could I forget those! The picture sleeve variation is what makes it rare (and a fine hobby to collect).
There's also a 'Bossa Nova Baby' sleeve with just with a black bar, and no text at all. It's not mentioned in the catalogues either.
I lost an bidding on a NM copy of Devil/..String Along a few years back - the 45 was sold for a measly 90 usd!
And as a very valuable 45 (no sleeve), how about 'I'll Be Back' made for (laughable) the Academy awards.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:43 am

elvisonline wrote:Check out the top entry of page 4 of the picture section for some nice pics of my tv guide original.

elvisonline

Wow! I'm amazed!! what an excellent copy! beautiful inserts, no stains or discoloration - you don't see that often! Can I get in your last will ? :D

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm

unclefester wrote:Hey elvisrecords.us.........you're not just blowing smoke here!!!....that Do The Clam..."Ask For" sleeve intrigues me.....is that indeed a U.S. release???......I had read it was in fact a German printing.....And the Big Boss Man sleeve with..."Ask For".......If I'm not mistaken both those are not listed in any or most of the respected Elvis price guides....can you tell me why that is the case??........both are 40 plus years old and neither would qualify as any sort of a recent discovery.........uf
Both are US releases. I accidentally stumbled upon a Do the Clam on eBay last month, it was at $6 up til 10 sec remaining. It is the first one I have seen "in the wild". It sold for $154 (yup, I didn't bid enough with what I thought to be reasonable and excessive at the same time).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0596927652

I have the Big Boss Man sleeve, another accidental eBay discovery. I found it with less than 10 minutes remaining on it. Glad I did. The one pictured on my site, is mine. Unfortanately, it has a name written on it. That doesn't really matter, it may be one of a kind or exists in numbers of single digits.

The Do the Clam is listed in the price guides at $250 (Presleyana VI and Osborne Cyberguides).

BTW. I have seen many German copies with "Ask For!" on eBay, makes me wonder if there is a German copy with "Coming Soon!"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 pm

I don't have a lot of 45s but one single I have do have is the 33 1/3 version of "Surrender"/"Lonely Man" with picture sleeve. When I habe a chance, I will take a picture and post online to the board. The picture sleeve is in good conditon.

Here's a scan of what a copy looks like from elvisrecords.us's site:

Any idea of what these typically fetch?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 am

Mike C wrote:... the 33 1/3 version of "Surrender"/"Lonely Man" with picture sleeve. Any idea of what these typically fetch?
Do an eBay search of completed auctions (for realized prices), you should be able to find for what you are looking based on whether or not there is a sleeve. I did a search for "elvis compact 33".

eBay auction 310292594908 sold for $125.
ebay auction 160538459942 sold for $153.