Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

It would be interesting to know what was filmed at Graceland. We haven't seen any outtakes so far from there. EPE hasn't used any of that footage in it's projects, has it? The only thing they have used is the Indianapolis airport footage and Unchained Melody on Great Performances.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Credit where credit is due, the Doc really got people going here :)
I am amazed by some of the reactions here, people really believing that the Doc is trying to make a point that the poolside interview exists, do you miss a humor gene?

By the way, as I stated on this board some time ago, the pool interview was a complete and utter fabrication by the infamous Larry Patrick.

Hat off to ya Doc :)

Cheers,
Simon

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 2:06 pm

:| well MY interpretation might be that YES they filmed at Graceland but whether or not that actually included Elvis is 'unsaid' sure they filmed in Cincinatti,Indianapolis etc but ONLY outside the venues.For example the much seen indi airport filming+ award presentation. sure look at Lincoln OUTSIDE the arena and on moterwy etc. i sincerely doubt Elvis was EVER filmed professionally AFTER June 26th 1977....nice to think about but ask Gary Smith ..i doubt it. :roll:

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 2:09 pm

I for one, never lost faith in you doc! :wink:

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 2:40 pm

It is quite possible CBS filmed Graceland in July 1977. But it is another story if Elvis was there and if in fact he was interviewed.

God only knows.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Simon1 wrote:Credit where credit is due, the Doc really got people going here :)
I am amazed by some of the reactions here, people really believing that the Doc is trying to make a point that the poolside interview exists, do you miss a humor gene?


Of course mentioning the pool side interview may have been done jokingly... But that does not take away that it would be spectacular if professional footage from Elvis at Graceland appeared to be there... Of course this footage will never get to us, offcially. Especially when our man is slurring his way through an interview whereever at his mansion... But hey, hopefully a guy like Gary Smith can delete all the nonsence...

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Renan wrote:It is quite possible CBS filmed Graceland in July 1977. But it is another story if Elvis was there and if in fact he was interviewed.

God only knows.


We know for a fact that CBS crew was there to film Vernon and Graceland as the footage is included in the tv-special. Like I said it would be interesting to see what else was filmed at the same time. Of course no interview with Elvis was ever conducted.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Alexander wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Credit where credit is due, the Doc really got people going here :)
I am amazed by some of the reactions here, people really believing that the Doc is trying to make a point that the poolside interview exists, do you miss a humor gene?


Of course mentioning the pool side interview may have been done jokingly... But that does not take away that it would be spectacular if professional footage from Elvis at Graceland appeared to be there... Of course this footage will never get to us, offcially. Especially when our man is slurring his way through an interview whereever at his mansion... But hey, hopefully a guy like Gary Smith can delete all the nonsence...


A poolside interview does not exist - but maybe, just maybe they filmed Elvis walking around the grounds, getting into a car, or whatever. They had backstage footage from Rapid City they didn't use in the finished show, so it's not impossible some stuff exists. But apart from that, it's just wishful thinking.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Great investigation! It does offer some proof to what the crew filmed for the Special.

The fact that the images of Elvis at Graceland are not be used on August 16th in the news or in the Special it self may very well lie in orders from Colonel Parker or Vernon.

The images of Elvis alive at home could have been to emotional for Vernon and the family so therefore the Colonel could have sanctioned CBS not use those images.

Another option is that since it turned out to be Elvis' last interview ever, The Colonel wanted extra money for it to be used and CBS did nog oblige.

Third option is that the footage contains Elvis looking and acting not healthy, worse than during the shows recorded for the CBS Special, and as a protective move by Parker and Vernon, it was decided not to use the footage.

Or....Elvis is in a much better condition during the interview and the difference is too big between his appearance during the shows in June and so the images don't fit together.... His health during the CBS shows was also used as proof that he was in ill condition and that his passing was somewhat to be 'expected'...
Last edited by JeroenNL on Thu May 20, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Great work Doc. Can you reach out to Smith and get his feedback?

When was the Vernon post-death video made? September or Oct?

Either Elvis was videotaped at Graceland and the footage was squelched for whatever reason -- or perhaps the reporter misinterpreted the producers saying they were going to Graceland to videotape Vernon.

It would be cool to get to the bottom of this.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm

elvisjock wrote:If somehow, some way, this ever does turn out to be true, you and Midnight are buying rounds for EVERYBODY.


EXACTLY!!! And I want flowers as well!

I told you lot ages ago I'd read the article and did you believe me? Hmmmmm

White Lillies will be fine DJC.....you know where to send them!

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Credit where credit is due, the Doc really got people going here :)
I am amazed by some of the reactions here, people really believing that the Doc is trying to make a point that the poolside interview exists, do you miss a humor gene?


Of course mentioning the pool side interview may have been done jokingly... But that does not take away that it would be spectacular if professional footage from Elvis at Graceland appeared to be there... Of course this footage will never get to us, offcially. Especially when our man is slurring his way through an interview whereever at his mansion... But hey, hopefully a guy like Gary Smith can delete all the nonsence...


A poolside interview does not exist - but maybe, just maybe they filmed Elvis walking around the grounds, getting into a car, or whatever. They had backstage footage from Rapid City they didn't use in the finished show, so it's not impossible some stuff exists. But apart from that, it's just wishful thinking.


That is exactly what I was thinking! And for once the article does not rule out the possibility of an interview but this seems highly unlike since the contract did not obligate Elvis to do anything extra...

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:No proof whatsoever...in fact the reverse!

If there was an interview at Graceland...let alone pool side.

CBS NEWS would have used it on August 16!

Instead of having an interview with Vernon when the show was screened doncha think they would have used Elvis.

The headline to this thread is so wrong.


:lol:

Doc, yr a naughty one!

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 5:50 pm

The poolside interview was never done, it's just rumours. I am surprised to see that so many here think CBS filmed an interview with Elvis at Graceland. Of course CBS would have used it if they did film such an interview. And Elvis was not known to do many interviews so why should he do it just a couple of months before he died, when his health was bad and he was out of shape?

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Perhaps the reason no footage of this supposed interview was used, was perhaps cause it involves Elvis denying the recent health rumours and mumours coming from the up-coming EHW? book. It wouldn't seem right to use an interview where Elvis, I can imagine, stating that he was healthy and in good spirits etc., then dying 2 months after. Either way, EPE have bought all known CBS-tapes from filming for the special haven't they? So I suppose they are the only ones that know for certain about any interview. And possibly, the reason they haven't told us about it, because say if EPE came out and announced there was in fact this long-lost interview - the Elvis world would go mad for it. Imagine it, they'd then have to issue it, and they don't want to issue anything from EIC do they? If one day down the line they do decide to issue EIC, then I'm certain any supposed interview would be included. That's my two cents worth.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Xaykev wrote: So why should he do it just a couple of months before he died, when his health was bad and he was out of shape?


I believe the Doc referred to the interview jokingly although the article may mean that some footage of Elvis was done on the grounds of Graceland. That would be interesting, wouldn't it? As for your quoted remark: it goes for the entire TV Special basically...

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Great job of finding this information, Doc !
Sadly, this find, ends' up side by side with the Pied Piper files.
Nevertheless Doc, bringing this information to the fore front
gives' new hope by default. :wink:
PEP 8)

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 8:21 pm

This Poolside Interview is a legend. Now all of a sudden we must believe there is? Just because it's written in a newspaper? Even more for not to believe this, it's coming from a newspaper . Neither i don't believe there's pro-footage from June 25 &26.

When the CBS Outtakes became available on the black market, back then in 1999, it was 22 years after. Nothing. Zero Poolside.

Just the complete Omaha and Rapid City concerts.No Poolside Interview. Now 33 years later, still not the slightest evidence it's there. Isn't it strange EPE or a reliable source would have confirmed this by now? Still, nothing. Because it never took place.

What's next to get some attention? Elvis did a secret world tour anyway?

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 8:33 pm

3577 wrote: What's next to get some attention? Elvis did a secret world tour anyway?


Didn't he? :?:

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Alexander wrote:
3577 wrote: What's next to get some attention? Elvis did a secret world tour anyway?


Didn't he? :?:



Yes he did. I saw Elvis Presley in concert, held in the Olympic Stadium, Amsterdam on April 35, 197@

I still have the article from the newspaper the next day.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 9:19 pm

I can't believe the ON TOUR interview has never been officially released (in it's entirety) other than the spinets in the movie. I've never heard EPE ever mention the existence of that interview. And that fact that CBS never aired the interview around Aug. 16, '77, proves nothing. There was ZERO footage used August 16-18 of any of the IN CONCERT stuff. None of that footage aired until the special on Oct. 3. Most of the footage/coverage on TV at that time was Ed Sullivan, TTWII or ON TOUR, and the crowds at Graceland.

Excluding the National Enquirer and the STAR (75 -77), the networks were very respectful toward Elvis on August 16. I don't think it was by design from the Colonel.

The producer's (in the newspaper article) were just hyping the show.....they by no means would have bad mouthed the special, the footage or Elvis.

My 2 cents is....the newspaper reporter misquoted Smith. They DID film at Indianapolis, the venues, the fans and at Graceland (as he said)....we've seen Vernon and the horses, and the grounds. The reporter simply assumed it would all be of Elvis. Elvis might even have walked out of Graceland, waved to the camera on the way to the car....footage of that type wouldn't have been appropriate on the October 3 show....it was ELVIS IN CONCERT not AT HOME WITH ELVIS. Maybe it's only 3 seconds worth of film and during the Editing (in July?) it was deemed useless.

Someone mentioned the contract saying that Elvis wasn't needed for any other filming (other than on stage)....I've not seen the CBS contract, but I think that says it all.

(having said all this....I hope the poolside footage exists - ha).

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 10:05 pm

DAMNIT!

Here's an email I received back from Archives. I sent a copy of the article the Doc posted.

Dear Jon Romanovich,

We are currently still cataloging our entire collection of items here at Graceland and to date no such footage as described
below of an interview has been found.

Best Regards,
Archives Staff


My fingers are still crossed

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Alexander wrote:
Xaykev wrote: So why should he do it just a couple of months before he died, when his health was bad and he was out of shape?


I believe the Doc referred to the interview jokingly although the article may mean that some footage of Elvis was done on the grounds of Graceland. That would be interesting, wouldn't it? As for your quoted remark: it goes for the entire TV Special basically...

I am not talking about Carpenter, but about what others say. The entire special is something else, that's what he needed to do to get some cash coming in. He didn't need to do an interview, that's why he never gave one.

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Not speaking about 'poolside' but another (third) concert. This is from the official Elvis.com website.
So there should be a third concert videotape. So why not a poolside interview?

----------
June 17-26, 1977
Elvis tours in concert. Shows on June 19, 20, and 21 are recorded by RCA for an upcoming live album and are videotaped for an upcoming CBS-TV television special. (Footage from the show on the 20th is not used in the special.) The special will be called Elvis in Concert. It will first air on October 3 after Elvis’ death in August. The camera gives a shocking picture of Elvis’ poor health in his final days, but his voice is strong.
----------

This is the hyperlink... http://www.elvis.com/elvisology/bio/elv ... 1977_5.asp

The Baystar dude

Re: CBS-TV 1977 Graceland Poolside Interview --> Proof At La

Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks Doc, for this great amazing find....

Keep my fingers crossed, and hope that is true....

Ed