Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Mike Stone

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:... they would have been around the same time Elvis introduced Mike on stage in August 1971! I think I will also add that Priscilla admitted to an affair with a dance instructor in 1968.

Why do some feel compelled to deny reality, more than thirty-five years later?

OK, let's run down just a few of the people Elvis is known to have fooled around with with between May 1967 (marriage) and January 1972 (wife moves out):

Susan Henning
Nancy Sinatra
Barbara Leigh
Joyce Bova
Kathy Westmoreland

Elvis was almost never a one-woman guy. Looking back to when he first met Priscilla in late 1959, he never let on that he had a steady girl in Memphis (Anita Wood), and he never told Anita anything concrete about Priscilla. For years.

The Palm Springs house became a "guys-only" getaway in the period when he was married, too. At least until his wife found letters of "thanks for the party," addressed to "Lizard-tongue," and the like. Priscilla was not stupid. She was being abandoned in her marriage. I am no fan of Ms. Beaulieu, but facts are facts.

If Presley had insisted on monogamy, there's almost no girlfriend who would have refused. But what HE wanted was the woman to be monogamous, not him. This is at the heart of the collapse of his marriage.

And that's the way it is.

Since when did I try to deny reality or claim Elvis never cheated? That was never the my point of argument. My point of argument was against you defending Mike Stone's actions - and his actions were completely out of order. I stated that Elvis was no saint either, but that doesn't make it ok for Stone does it? Stone's actions were still irresponsible. The final nail in the coffin for their relationship was Stone's involvement with Priscilla, you can't get away from that fact. To add insult to injury, she basically met him through Elvis association with Stone via Karate. Elvis and Mike were something of mutual friends, whilst Elvis was welcoming Stone to his Live shows in August 1971, it's highly likely Stone was already having the affair with Priscilla.

I still can't quite work Priscilla out, her many questionable relationships since Elvis and her on-going business association and usage of the 'Presley' surname don't help her cause. I think she made mistakes of her own, but she was just a young woman back then, who'd never known any different than being with Elvis Presley since such a young age. Her 'formative years' as a woman clearly weren't the usual for a woman of her age. But I fully understand her position. Yet sometimes I think we often have heard her side far too much. I mean what with the allegations about her father forcing the marriage and the famed sex story with Currie Grant etc. and the various other claims like in that book by Suzanne Finstad. There's definately something more than just the poor devoted wife of Elvis who was mis-treated and had to leave, only to come back and save Graceland and the Presley accounts after his death.

Elvis was never cut out to be married in my opinion. I think to be honest he was too immature in his attitude to it all. Yet I suppose who could blame him when he was that good looking. But there comes a time when you have to settle down and he wanted to do that, yet didn't want the responisbilities that came with it. He never received great advice throughout his life (on career issues aswell) - I think had his mother still been alive, things could have been very different.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 am

Your view is out of balance. And it appears no number of facts will alter that invective perspective.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 am

KHoots wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:OK, let's run down just a few of the people Elvis is known to have fooled around with with between May 1967 (marriage) and January 1972 (wife moves out):

Susan Henning
Nancy Sinatra
Barbara Leigh
Joyce Bova
Kathy Westmoreland

Elvis was almost never a one-woman guy.

How true. I am currently reading Alanna Nash's new book, Baby, Let's Play House - Elvis Presley and The Women Who Loved Him, and wow, the girls who trooped through Elvis's room is astounding. There are names popping up I had never heard of prior to reading her book.

I wouldn't take that book as gospel. Most of it is based purely on rumours and tales built up over the years.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 am

I understand, but there is at least an element of truth there. Our hero was quite "prolific."

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 am

Thought Nancy has denied any hanky panky between her and Elvis
SNG ::rocks

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Your view is out of balance. And it appears no number of facts will alter that invective perspective.

You're argument has no substance. You were making points against me that were false. And to say my view is out of balance, please explain? Elvis clearly throughout the marriage was in the wrong a lot of the time, yet so was Priscilla's ways of handling it, and Stone was certainly not Mr. Nice Guy. And it's true, he had an affair with the wife of a man who was something of an associate with him, and there was a daughter in the middle of all this.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 am

KHoots wrote:I understand, but there is at least an element of truth there. Our hero was quite "prolific."

It's well known that a lot of Elvis' so-called affairs and one-night stands actually consisted of the woman in name coming back to his room to keep him company throughout the night, talk about anything and everything, watch TV, eat, read the Bible and sleep (as in actually sleep) with him.

Yet that's not to say that there were times when affairs occured. Yet I think most of these were more on-going, more like mistresses. For example the long-term fling with Sheila Ryan whilst the more official girlfriend at least was Linda Thompson. And I'm sure there was something ongoing with Kathy Westmoreland for many years - just to name a couple. It's more likely that the one's with his co-star's were true, yet once again as to whether Elvis actually had sex with all of these is a matter of doubt.

I still find it incredible though that in today's era of celebrity he would be looked upon as a love-cheat and a typical man by the female population, yet instead he's seen as this heart-throb, who could do no wrong. It's like it's one rule for Elvis, one rule for the others! I mean think about the girlfriends back in the 50's like June and Dixie he would two-time on and cheat or leave etc. Yet they still love him and basically accepted his infidelities, as long as he still wanted to be with them. This was the case with Priscilla until enough was enough.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Your view is out of balance. And it appears no number of facts will alter that invective perspective.

You're argument has no substance. You were making points against me that were false. And to say my view is out of balance, please explain? Elvis clearly throughout the marriage was in the wrong a lot of the time, yet so was Priscilla's ways of handling it, and Stone was certainly not Mr. Nice Guy. And it's true, he had an affair with the wife of a man who was something of an associate with him, and there was a daughter in the middle of all this.

I believe Mike Stone was also married with a small child and his wife was pregnant with another when he began his affair with Priscilla.
Priscilla knew that Stone was married and that his wife was pregnant.

So Mike Stone and Priscilla were wrong in doing what they did.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:11 am

brian wrote:
hollandgroupc2008 wrote:

I believe Mike Stone was also married with a small child and his wife was pregnant with another when he began his affair with Priscilla.

Exactly. I don't know why DJC felt obliged to stick up for Mr. Stone on this occasion.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 am

Wholly agree with Doc on this one.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 am

brian wrote:I believe Mike Stone was also married with a small child and his wife was pregnant with another when he began his affair with Priscilla.

Brian, these accusations are so inflammatory and unheard of that I insist you provide your source for this belief, or rescind the statement.

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Wholly agree with Doc on this one.

It's comforting to know there are rational people on this forum, Presley fans who don't excuse away some of his more unforgivable behavior.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:I believe Mike Stone was also married with a small child and his wife was pregnant with another when he began his affair with Priscilla.

Brian, these accusations are so inflammatory and unheard of that I insist you provide your source for this belief, or rescind the statement.

The Memphis mafia guys are my source for Mike Stone being married with two children when his affair began.
They mention it in Revelations of the Mempis Mafia and Sonny West states it again in his book.
Sonny West says that Mike Stone's wife's name was Fran.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 am

brian wrote:The Memphis mafia guys are my source for Mike Stone being married with two children when his affair began.
They mention it in Revelations of the Mempis Mafia and Sonny West states it again in his book.

You'll have to do better than that.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:The Memphis mafia guys are my source for Mike Stone being married with two children when his affair began.

You'll have to do better than that.

It was also in the book "Child Bride".

Axe

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am

This all happened a long time ago and honestly it doesn't matter anymore. At the end of the day Elvis was a human being. He had some great qualities and some lousy ones. I personally feel he did more good then bad in his 42 years. I know for me personally his work has brought nothing but happiness into my life. This doesn't mean I think he was a good husband, but frankly that doesn't change how I feel about his music one bit. I feel sorry for him in one way because I would hate to think that my mistakes would be picked apart 33 years after I died.
Last edited by Mike Eder on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 am

Still, the main reason for Elvis' failing marriage was his problem being faithful.

According to Priscilla in Elvis By The Presleys, they did have an understanding regarding his fidelity. However, one things that's not been mentioned is that fact he could hardly bring himself to sleep with Priscilla following the birth of Lisa Marie - I think that rejection probably hurt more than his affairs.

Please excuse me for using the term - apologies to any ladies reading, but for Elvis the insult "motherf*cker", which he used frequently, was a literally negative term - it was something he didn't seem able to bring himself to do. Isn't it called the "madonna / whore" complex? Had he been unfaithful, but been able to show her the same level of affection, then perhaps it could have been tolerable. Certainly, as gorgeous young woman, with a husband who constantly rejected her, her self esteem must have been in tatters!

Priscilla was no angel, having had at least 2 affairs during her marriage, but I don't think she could have done much else other than leave Elvis - she'd had as much as she could take of his very closeted, insulated world, and with the tours, wives being banned from Vegas (you don't take your wife to work!) etc, there was very little time left for Priscilla / Lisa Marie.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Well thanks. You all answered my questions. I was only casually interested about who the guy was. I guess the only other thing I'd want to know is if Elvis ever mentioned him in any other show besides Desert Storm

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:It's well known that a lot of Elvis' so-called affairs and one-night stands actually consisted of the woman in name coming back to his room to keep him company throughout the night, talk about anything and everything, watch TV, eat, read the Bible and sleep (as in actually sleep) with him.

Maybe, but if you are married or with someone, spending time with other women is a little inappropriate.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Xaykev wrote:Even though Elvis cheated on Priscilla, it doesn't mean that Priscilla did the right thing. And certainly not Mike Stone. Priscilla should have confronted Elvis with it, and left him. If so, she could have done "the indoor activities" with whoever she wanted - without doing anything wrong. Priscilla also had an eye for a singer in the 60's (don't remember his name), and she might even have crossed the line back then. Still, the main reason for Elvis' failing marriage was his problem being faithful.

Are all you guys - not just you Xaykev :wink: - seriously telling here how Priscilla should have solved her marriage problems back then? It is funny reading though...

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Alexander wrote:
Xaykev wrote:Even though Elvis cheated on Priscilla, it doesn't mean that Priscilla did the right thing. And certainly not Mike Stone. Priscilla should have confronted Elvis with it, and left him. If so, she could have done "the indoor activities" with whoever she wanted - without doing anything wrong. Priscilla also had an eye for a singer in the 60's (don't remember his name), and she might even have crossed the line back then. Still, the main reason for Elvis' failing marriage was his problem being faithful.

Are all you guys - not just you Xaykev :wink: - seriously telling here how Priscilla should have solved her marriage problems back then? It is funny reading though...

Yes, what's your problem with that? I think everybody understands that having an affair with another man who is married and is a father himself isn't the way to do it.

DarrylMac wrote:
Still, the main reason for Elvis' failing marriage was his problem being faithful.

According to Priscilla in Elvis By The Presleys, they did have an understanding regarding his fidelity. .

I didn't know that. If that is true or not, you are right about Elvis' problems being intimate with Priscilla after Lisa Marie was born, and it certainly didn't help the marriage.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Wholly agree with Doc on this one.

It's comforting to know there are rational people on this forum, Presley fans who don't excuse away some of his more unforgivable behavior.

I haven't heard anybody excusing his behaviour.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Yes.

If one partner is being unfaithful, the two of them have gotta talk it through.

They might find that the errant one is willing to stop, if it takes that to save the marriage.

Or the innocent one might decide they can live with the infidelity.

Or the aggrieved party may decide they want the marriage to end.

The answer is never for the other one to embark on extra-marital flings themselves !

Two wrongs don't make a right !

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm

ColinB wrote:

Yes.

If one partner is being unfaithful, the two of them have gotta talk it through.

They might find that the errant one is willing to stop, if it takes that to save the marriage.

Or the innocent one might decide they can live with the infidelity.

Or the aggrieved party may decide they want the marriage to end.

The answer is never for the other one to embark on extra-marital flings themselves !

Two wrongs don't make a right !

Well said Colin!

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Xaykev wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Yes, what's your problem with that? I think everybody understands that having an affair with another man who is married and is a father himself isn't the way to do it.

DarrylMac wrote:

According to Priscilla in Elvis By The Presleys, they did have an understanding regarding his fidelity. .

I didn't know that. If that is true or not, you are right about Elvis' problems being intimate with Priscilla after Lisa Marie was born, and it certainly didn't help the marriage.

It's not really up to you to decide what's good or wrong for a complete stranger in such personal matters, isn't it? I think both Elvis and Priscilla were adult persons who knew the consequents for their actions and did take them eventually. Nobody should project own moral standards on somebody else and be judgemental...

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Alexander wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Alexander wrote:

DarrylMac wrote:

It's not really up to you to decide what's good or wrong for a complete stranger in such personal matters, isn't it? I think both Elvis and Priscilla were adult persons who knew the consequents for their actions and did take them eventually. Nobody should project own moral standards on somebody else and be judgemental...

I don't mean to talk like I am a saint myself, but some things in life are just right, and some just plain wrong. And to have an affair with another person that is married, while you are married yourself, must be considered doing something that's wrong.