Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis with a electric guitar on stage

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm

We all know about the famous time where Elvis sit and played electric guitar during the TTWII gig. Some questions about it:

- MGM certainly has these images. Has anyone ever seen it (instead of just heard it on CD)?
- Was it a common thing for Elvis to play electric guitar on stage before that? Did he always had a available guitar standing there, in case he felt like playing it, or maybe he just requested it specifically for that show in 1970?
- Is there any other opportunity where he also played electric guitar on stage?

Re: Elvis with a electric guitar on stage

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:28 pm

the only times i know are:
1968 , both sit down shows and stand up shows
1969 - when playing little bit of Surrender and that laughing version, baby what you want me to do...
1970 is probably the last time with electric guitar on stage...
lior

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 pm

california boy wrote:the only times i know are:
1968 , both sit down shows and stand up shows
1969 - when playing little bit of Surrender and that laughing version, baby what you want me to do...
1970 is probably the last time with electric guitar on stage...
lior

Isn't a regular folk guitar in 1969, like the ones he used to play?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:05 pm

We all know about the famous time where Elvis sit and played electric guitar during the TTWII gig. Some questions about it:

- MGM certainly has these images. Has anyone ever seen it (instead of just heard it on CD)?
- Was it a common thing for Elvis to play electric guitar on stage before that? Did he always had a available guitar standing there, in case he felt like playing it, or maybe he just requested it specifically for that show in 1970?

1. Yes, footage of Are You Lonesome Tonight, Little Sister/Get Back, I Was The One and Love Me is out there. It has been released by Star, and was supposed to be included in the TTWII SE DVD. In actual fact, some, if not all of those tracks were included in the Turner Broadcast on TCM before the DVD was released, then cut from the DVD version, if memory serves? They're out there on youtube too, just do a search for Elvis Little Sister...

2. Elvis played his Gretch guitar onstage during most of the 69 season in Vegas. There are many photos of him onstage playing his guitar.

3. The guitar was seen on stage with Elvis as late as 72, but I'm not sure it was ever played. Certainly, little sister / get back was included in the set in 72, so perhaps he played it then? Not seen any photos i can recall of him playing the electric guitar after 1970, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Hope that helps?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:30 pm

The footage where E played the electric guitar in august -70 was released last year on the TTWII 2007 edition. The quality was not very good but the footage is released.

As for Elvis playing the elctric guitar, the Stanley brothers claim that he played electric guitar later thatn 1970, I believe it was in 1974 or 1975 when he riffed away in a duel with James Burton. It is in in "Elvis - we love you tender". However, that is not a very accurate book and I don't take anything from the Stanleys to the bank.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Elvisenna wrote:We all know about the famous time where Elvis sit and played electric guitar during the TTWII gig. Some questions about it:

Here...

phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm

There is a picture somewhere of Elvis playing Electric guitar in 1974. It would be kind of cool to find out what he was playing at the time. Perhaps, "are you lonesome tonight".

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm

ekenee wrote:There is a picture somewhere of Elvis playing Electric guitar in 1974.

On stage? Where would that be from?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:12 pm

There is a picture somewhere of Elvis playing Electric guitar in 1974

If there is, I'd love to see it. David Stanley repeated that claim in his own book, Life WIth Elvis, regarding Elvis riffing on stage, and I'm sure 1974 was the year he mentioned. I've never given that claim any credence, but if there's a photo, maybe there's some truth to it, although I very much doubt it...

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:36 pm

Such a photo has not been seen around these parts, ever.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 am

Yes, a shot of Elvis' soloing on a Les Paul in 1974 would be a fascinating shot!

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:18 am

midnightx wrote:Yes, a shot of Elvis' soloing on a Les Paul in 1974 would be a fascinating shot!

Perhaps during "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)"?

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:44 am

DarrylMac wrote:
There is a picture somewhere of Elvis playing Electric guitar in 1974

If there is, I'd love to see it. David Stanley repeated that claim in his own book, Life WIth Elvis, regarding Elvis riffing on stage, and I'm sure 1974 was the year he mentioned. I've never given that claim any credence, but if there's a photo, maybe there's some truth to it, although I very much doubt it...

Well, I went and checked this out, and your right, I was wrong. I was thinking of another picture, but the guitar is not electric.

Sorry.