Post here your Elvis' pictures

Sioux Falls JUne 22, 1977

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:27 am

Here the review and photo, sorry for the quality, the review also seem to be missing a paragraph or last sentence. I believe these are coming from Scott ..so Scott if you have time can you let us know if there is much left and if you casn type out .. please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sioux Falls JUne 22, 1977

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:47 am

Francesc wrote: I believe these are coming from Scott ..so Scott if you have time can you let us know if there is much left and if you casn type out .. please

Yes, most - if not all - of the newspaper review copies posted here came from me originally.

In 1990 (pre internet!) I went to my local library which had a book listing the major libraries of most cities in the world.

I made up a form letter which said Elvis performed in your town on such-and-such a date, do you have any copies of reviews in your archives? Sent dozens of them to the libraries in the States, covering each and every city.

Over the next couple of months, most of them replied. The record was 19 in one day! I ended up with a 95% success rate, so now I have reviews of most of the shows. Some rare pics and stuff in them. Some took the time to send me 50s and 60s stuff as well.

One librarian (can't remember from where now) told me that she was waiting outside the arena (not actually going to the show though) and got to see Elvis being driven past. He waved at her.

If I get time, I'll try to type out this one, but am very busy usually.

Cheers.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:46 am

Scott, the ones that Scott (the other one is posting) are from a online newspaper archive. I do have many from you and I do thank you ! :!:

Every time I go to a city where Elvis played I go to their public library. Beasides that I did contact some public libraries too. I hope one day we have all the tour concerts. By the way researching the ones from Salt Lake City, it was funny becuase their local newspaper didnt cover the cocnerts are all, the only thing I found was a lady complaining that the newspaper covred a horse show but not Elvis.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:47 am

One librarian (can't remember from where now) told me that she was waiting outside the arena (not actually going to the show though) and got to see Elvis being driven past. He waved at her.

Knoxville?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:01 am

Scott wrote:Yes, most - if not all - of the newspaper review copies posted here came from me originally.

Over the next couple of months, most of them replied. The record was 19 in one day! I ended up with a 95% success rate, so now I have reviews of most of the shows. Some rare pics and stuff in them.

All of the ones I'm posting are the result of my personal internet search.

But I have you did one hell of a job back then by the sound of it! If you could post couple of samples from your collection that would be marvelous...

And thanks Francesc for the review from Sioux Falls!!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:03 am

thanks for posting these reviews.

The line stating that he was still king when singing rings true

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 am

Francesc wrote: By the way researching the ones from Salt Lake City, it was funny becuase their local newspaper didnt cover the cocnerts are all.

The papers did cover it. I have the one from '71. Although, for the '74 one, all they managed to find was a full-page ad detailing the upcoming show.

Francesc wrote:

Knoxville?

Maybe. I don't have access to the miscellaneous stuff that was sent now, but it could be from there, yeah.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:10 am

Scott wrote:
Francesc wrote: By the way researching the ones from Salt Lake City, it was funny becuase their local newspaper didnt cover the cocnerts are all.

The papers did cover it. I have the one from '71. Although, for the '74 one, all they managed to find was a full-page ad detailing the upcoming show.

Francesc wrote:

Knoxville?

Maybe. I don't have access to the miscellaneous stuff that was sent now, but it could be from there, yeah.

I'm saying that because I remember being in Knoxville and the librarian telling me that story. I was actually there but somehow I didn't get reviews from 1974, silly me

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:10 am

Somebody hit Elvis with a FrisbeeĀ®! Damn, no wonder it was the last tour.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 am

That frisbee remark was interesting. Did any fan on this board attend that concert or has anyone seen photos of the incident?

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:38 pm

No I don't have any photos to show from Sioux Falls, even though I went through the trouble of asking the local paper if they would have any in their archives. The answer: "we have nothing in our archives."

But here are a few nice eyewitness memories from these shows (from 2002, including a cool James Burton story)- and there must be pictures, somewhere...all I've seen are the photocopies from the newspaper reviews...

Saturday marks the 25-year anniversary of Elvis' June 22, 1977, concert at the Arena. It would be his second (the first was Oct. 18, 1976) and final performance at the Arena and fifth-to-last concert before the "King of Rock 'n' Roll" was found dead in his home Aug. 16, 1977.
That's the lasting effect of Elvis, a celebrity whose cool was so strong even death couldn't harness it. Whether it's simply extended nostalgia or a testament to his greatness, Elvis still is on the mind of millions. And in Sioux Falls, the fans' minds still are fixated on his two Arena performances.
"It was like seeing a superhero," says Laurie Lind Bambas, a "young" Elvis fan at 37. "We stood up and screamed until the guy behind us told us to sit down and shut up." Finding people like Bambas to talk about Elvis memories is about as easy as finding someone to talk about the weather. Seemingly everyone who saw Elvis at one or both of his Arena dates has a story or opinion about the experience, and longtime fans who still support "The King" speak about Elvis with the same type of reverence often reserved for religious figures. But, at least in Sioux Falls, the fans' fabled deity was showing less than perfection when he played the Arena 25 years ago.

What people seem to remember most from that June night in '77 isn't a spectacular performance but an Elvis that was ghastly to smitten eyes. "It was sad," says Cheryl Wyant, 55, a local fan. "He had put on so much weight and was bloated and fat. What was really upsetting is that he couldn't remember the songs. They had to feed him scores to sing the songs." Conversely, Wyant says Elvis' first Arena concert was what it was billed to be. "He looked good. He sang good. It was what you expected from Elvis," she says.

Few who where there dispute the differences. But, some still will defend the man they cherish. "I really honestly think he did just as good at his last concert than he did in '76," says Tamara Reistroffer, 43, of Sioux Falls. "His appearance was different. But he still performed fantastically." "His voice still had magic," Bambas says of the '77 performance. "It was very surreal, even though I didn't understand it at the time. He didn't seem real."

Another surreal, and memorable, moment came when Elvis was hit by a frisbee during a song. "It stunned him, and he goes, `What was that?,' " Reistroffer says. "I was so mad, because I thought he was going to quit. "I think, and a couple I've talked with who were at the concert think, that he cut it short that night because of that."

Even if Elvis did leave the stage prematurely, Reistroffer's night was extended, thanks to a hot dog. While sitting in the bleachers before the performance, Reistroffer dropped a hot dog that was picked up by a stranger who offered it back to her. "I said, `Just leave it. I don't care. (Elvis) is getting ready to play now,' " Reistroffer says. The moment was forgotten until Reistroffer and some friends attended an Elvis impersonator at the then-Mocamba club after Elvis' concert. The "hot dog" guy was there as well and introduced himself to Reistroffer as James Burton, Elvis' lead guitarist. "I'm going, `Yeah, sure, whatever,' " Reistroffer says. "And he really was James Burton. He showed me his ID." After the two chatted for a while, Burton invited Reistroffer to an "Elvis party" at the Holiday Inn, where the band and performer were staying. "He said Elvis won't be there because he always leaves after the concert," she says. "But I had the time of my life. I met the Sweet Inspirations, everybody in the band. And James Burton spent all his time with me, and he let my brother come with me so people could believe me." And according to Reistroffer, Burton was "a perfect gentleman." He even invited her to breakfast the following morning. "I was working at Burger King at the time, and I called in sick," Reistroffer says. "I went to breakfast with him and said I'd give anything to meet Elvis. He said, `You can hop a truck if you want.' "For a second I thought, yeah, but then in your mind you're thinking, `How am I going to get back home, and what am I going to have to do to get that far and really meet him?' " Reistroffer didn't take the offer and regrets it to this day. "That August when I heard Elvis died, I thought, `Why didn't I go?,' " Reistroffer says.

Even without experiences like Reistroffer's, the June 22, 1977, show at the Arena was memorable for many. "When you left, it was like a love fest," says Marjean Goodroad, 57, a Palm Springs, Calif., resident who grew up in Estelline. "There was a charisma that I have not seen emulated." Especially from re-creators. "I've seen Elvis impersonators, and it's like, `Oh, spare me,' " Goodroad says. "I wish there were no Elvis impersonators, because they can't do it like him."
Yet even with her distaste for impersonators and re-creators, Goodroad is thinking if she's still in the area for Saturday's show she may attend the performance. That may speak more about Elvis' continued drawing power and allure than anything else.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:29 pm

I found this, I'm sure you did too but I dont remember that photo being there before.

http://www.keloland.com/blog/index.cfm?commentID=452

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Francesc wrote:I found this, I'm sure you did too but I dont remember that photo being there before.

http://www.keloland.com/blog/index.cfm?commentID=452

Well I did not find it before, but the picture's from early 77, isn't it? Savannah, if I remember correctly.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:16 am

this show is no yet available on audio, but thanks so much for the report. :D

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 am

rickeap wrote:That frisbee remark was interesting. Did any fan on this board attend that concert or has anyone seen photos of the incident?

If I remember correctly, he made a remark about a frisbee during the Madison show on the '77 set.

I wondered what the remark was all about.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:53 am

The frisbee in Sioux Falls,
or the Hula Hoop in Mobile?