Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Closing Night in Vegas ..........Dec 1976

Sun May 18, 2008 7:39 pm

As far as i am aware Elvis always had closing night parties in his suite after his final show (im sure i will be corrected if this is wrong!). Looking at the up and downs of his final Vegas stint and his frame of mind at the time i wonder what happened after his final show. Did he have a closing party or just fly straight out of Vegas?

Re: Closing Night in Vegas ..........Dec 1976

Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 pm

On December 13th our man flew back to Memphis...totally frustrated...he had a visit after the CS from a preacher..Elvis was sad and tired and started crying..I don´t think he gave an after show party..

Sun May 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Ciscoking wrote:On December 13th our man flew back to Memphis...totally frustrated...he had a visit after the CS from a preacher..Elvis was sad and tired and started crying..I don´t think he gave an after show party..

What the preacher said to him?
I hope 'Straight Arrow' or 'Memory' will release the closing show sometime.

Sun May 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Johanesson wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:On December 13th our man flew back to Memphis...totally frustrated...he had a visit after the CS from a preacher..Elvis was sad and tired and started crying..I don´t think he gave an after show party..

I hope 'Straight Arrow' or 'Memory' will release the closing show sometime.

The CD 'Black Diamond' contains the AR of this show in VG sound.

Sun May 18, 2008 8:46 pm

kelvin wrote:The CD 'Black Diamond' contains the AR of this show in VG sound.

Yes, i know that,but i don't have that CD plus i've heard that they destroyed the sound quality,which was much better on the LP (Softly, As I Leave You...). Also,the concert on the LP was in stereo,while on the CD it was mono.

Sun May 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Johanesson wrote:

The preachers name was Rex Humbard and they spoke desparingly of Elvis' lifestyle and it's lack of meaning.

They held hands and prayed together.

Sun May 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Johanesson wrote:

Yes, i know that,but i don't have that CD plus i've heard that they destroyed the sound quality,which was much better on the LP (Softly, As I Leave You...). Also,the concert on the LP was in stereo,while on the CD it was mono.

I remember having the LP as well and as far as i can recall the sound on this CD is far superior although still an AR

Sun May 18, 2008 9:05 pm

minkahed wrote:The preachers name was Rex Humbard and they spoke desparingly of Elvis' lifestyle and it's lack of meaning.

Thanks,i didn't know that. Interesting and sad story.

Sun May 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Didn't Rex call Elvis his 'bell sheep?'

Sun May 18, 2008 11:59 pm

minkahed wrote:
Johanesson wrote:

The preachers name was Rex Humbard and they spoke desparingly of Elvis' lifestyle and it's lack of meaning.

I remember reading that Elvis asked whether the end was near with Rex replying "Yes".

Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 am

I thought this meeting with Rex Humbard was sometime during the August/Sept 1974 Las Vegas engagement????

Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 am

minkahed wrote:The preachers name was Rex Humbard and they spoke desparingly of Elvis' lifestyle and its lack of meaning.

Humbard related this visit just eight months later, in Rolling Stone's memorial Elvis issue. It was Humbard's wife who told Elvis he was their "bell sheep."

IIRC, Elvis told Rex "I don't even want to be here."

Tue May 20, 2008 1:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:The preachers name was Rex Humbard and they spoke desparingly of Elvis' lifestyle and its lack of meaning.

Humbard related this visit just eight months later, in Rolling Stone's memorial Elvis issue. It was Humbard's wife who told Elvis he was their "bell sheep."

IIRC, Elvis told Rex "I don't even want to be here."

I recall reading this somewhere. Sad to say the least...

Tue May 20, 2008 1:43 am

Brad M wrote:I recall reading this somewhere ...

Maybe even Rolling Stone's memorial Elvis issue!

Tue May 20, 2008 4:02 am

It may not have been Closing Night, but Ben Weisman told me that he was invited to an after party in December '76. According to Ben, Elvis introduced him to his other guests, mentioning that Ben had written 57 songs for him.

Tue May 20, 2008 5:56 am

elvisjock wrote:It may not have been Closing Night, but Ben Weisman told me that he was invited to an after party in December '76. According to Ben, Elvis introduced him to his other guests, mentioning that Ben had written 57 songs for him.

This just goes to show how lonely Elvis must have been during this time :|

Wasn't this the engagement where Priscilla's Mother and Father came to see one of his shows, and maybe her sister Michelle also..and Elvis took her parents to the dressing room and talked to them for the longest time.

I remember somewhere saying that Michelle said that Elvis was saying how embarassed he was of his hands that he thought they looked fat and she kept reassuring him they didn't etc. Maybe this is also the time, where on Elvis By The Presley's that Cilla's mom talks about how Elvis kept talking and it seemed like he had something on his mind and kept talking about his feelings etc.....

Tue May 20, 2008 12:31 pm

Roy Orbison and Glen Cambel both reported positive meetings with Elvis at the time. They may have been at the opening where Elvis was in good spirits and looking pretty good.

Tue May 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Roy Orbison and Glen Cambel both reported positive meetings with Elvis at the time. They may have been at the opening where Elvis was in good spirits and looking pretty good.

After the shows on the fourth though things were up and down from there on througout the rest of the engagement. Elvis was probably really worried about Vernon who had a heart attack and was hospitalized sometime during that Vegas Stand I believe....

Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Roy Orbison and Glen Cambel both reported positive meetings with Elvis at the time. They may have been at the opening where Elvis was in good spirits and looking pretty good.

Glen went to the opening night, and at least one other. Roy caught the 12-4-76 dinner show and visited after that. He recounted this visit in the 1977 Rolling Stone memorial issue.

Wed May 21, 2008 4:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Roy caught the 12-4-76 dinner show and visited after that. He recounted this visit in the 1977 Rolling Stone memorial issue.

Maybe that was why Elvis was trying a little harder to put on a good show that night because Roy was in the audience. And I will say it was a damn fine show with a fabulous spoken version of What Now My Love ! :smt006

Wed May 21, 2008 4:37 am

Brad M wrote:Maybe that was why Elvis was trying a little harder to put on a good show that night because Roy was in the audience.

Yup. Engelbert was there, too.

Wed May 21, 2008 5:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Brad M wrote:Maybe that was why Elvis was trying a little harder to put on a good show that night because Roy was in the audience.

Yup. Engelbert was there, too.

Thanks Doc for that tad bit of info !! :smt001

Wed May 21, 2008 7:04 am

Thanks for the dates. I figured that was why they came away with good impressions.

Wed May 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Trust the doc!

Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 pm

kelvin wrote:
Johanesson wrote:

I remember having the LP as well and as far as i can recall the sound on this CD is far superior although still an AR

The show sounds even better on the Vicky CDr relaese Farewell Vegas !!