Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

who would you change?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:21 pm

Someone asked me today if there was one person you could change in elvis travelling concert show singer/or musicians who would it be so i thought id ask fellow board members..

myne would be shaun sherill nielson because his part in his shows bored me to death, nothing against him personally i just never got it.

what would yours be and why?

Re: who would you change?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:30 pm

daz cav wrote:Someone asked me today if there was one person you could change in elvis travelling concert show singer/or musicians who would it be so i thought id ask fellow board members..

myne would be shaun sherill nielson because his part in his shows bored me to death, nothing against him personally i just never got it.

what would yours be and why?

Just out of curiosity I'd invite Stevie Ray Vaughan to replace JB for one concert... I'd love to see SRV on one stage with Elvis playing those r'n'r or blues songs....

Nothing personal against JB - I love him, just out of curiosity....

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:25 am

i would change the joe grishaw orchestra and sherill nielson and JD Sumner they were all crap elvis did not need them.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 am

Rocknroller.... you mean keep the tcb band and elvis, or just back to the 3 pieces of scotty, bill and dj?

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 am

rocknroller wrote:i would change the joe grishaw orchestra.

Who?

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:05 am

I agree with the whole Voice thing they really added nothing to the show. Plus I might be in the minority, but the Sweets could have gone, I like Elvis with just male voices, I think he just needed Kathy Westmoreland, just one high female voice.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:10 am

LonnieBeale wrote:I agree with the whole Voice thing they really added nothing to the show. Plus I might be in the minority, but the Sweets could have gone, I like Elvis with just male voices, I think he just needed Kathy Westmoreland, just one high female voice.

Than let out Kathy "Elvis was my first sexual relationship" Westmoreland. I can't stand her. And if possible she should take Sherril with her.

Phew. That would have been nice.

Joern

BTW I think the guitarplaying of Vaughn would have been way to rough for Elvis concerts.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:35 am

Rather than change anyone.

I would rather there was a top notch song picker/arranger/producer on board with the final say!

Someone like Jimmy Bowen for example.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:18 am

JD.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:29 am

Charlie Hodge. I'd rather listen to dead air.

Axe

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:32 am

Axeman wrote:Charlie Hodge. I'd rather listen to dead air.

Axe

But he was an important source of support for Elvis on stage.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:39 am

TJ wrote:

Axe

Yeah but ANYONE can laugh at his jokes and hand him water and scarves.

Axe

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:59 am

Axeman wrote:
TJ wrote:

Axe

Axe

Whilst this is true. ANYONE could not be Elvis' good friend. Charlie also sang harmony with Elvis - he was more than just a stage hand.

Rob wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
i would change the joe grishaw orchestra.

Who?

Thankfully the Joe Grishaw orchestra never got past the audition stage, I've heard only bad things.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:03 am

Joern wrote:
LonnieBeale wrote:I agree with the whole Voice thing they really added nothing to the show. Plus I might be in the minority, but the Sweets could have gone, I like Elvis with just male voices, I think he just needed Kathy Westmoreland, just one high female voice.

Than let out Kathy "Elvis was my first sexual relationship" Westmoreland. I can't stand her. And if possible she should take Sherril with her.

Phew. That would have been nice.

Joern

BTW I think the guitarplaying of Vaughn would have been way to rough for Elvis concerts.

Stevie Ray Vaughan playing with EP for a show could have been pretty incredible. Imagine Vaughan tearing up See See Rider, Johnny B Goode, Polk Salad Annie, Mystery Train/Tiger Man....

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:40 am

daz cav wrote:Rocknroller.... you mean keep the tcb band and elvis, or just back to the 3 pieces of scotty, bill and dj?

in a perfect world i would have loved scotty, bill and dj but of course bill was dead by 65 and i dont think a 3 piece band would have worked in the 70s so for me it would have to be the tcb band and just elvis with his Incredible voice out in front and not all that awful backing dont get me wrong it worked on some songs but just elvis and the tcb band would have been awsome.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:08 am

I'd like to see Elvis replaced by Doug Church. 8)

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:17 am

I'd have said goodbye to....

J. D. Sumner. Ray Walker he ain't. If I hear that B-52 routine again, I may kill.

Sherril Neilsen. Another person whose voice just grates most of the time. If I hear "O Sole Mio" again, I will kill.

Voice. The worst backing singers ever. Period. Their voices blend like butter and orange juice. No wonder Tom Jones didn't want to know.

Kathy Westmoreland. Too middle of the road for me.

Duke Bardwell. Nice guy, but didn't have the talent to play alongside someone of Elvis' stature.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 am

londonflash wrote:Duke Bardwell. Nice guy, but didn't have the talent to play alongside someone of Elvis' stature.

I may just wonder how on earth did the guy get the job. I can only guess how bad the other bass players were (if there was any audition at all)....

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:35 am

Charlie was more of a side kick like Staney Potter in TICKLE ME(now on dvd). I didn't mind JD and the Stamps, but the I GOT A Woman, thing did get to be annoying.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:18 pm

Matthew wrote:
Axeman wrote:
TJ wrote:

Whilst this is true. ANYONE could not be Elvis' good friend. Charlie also sang harmony with Elvis - he was more than just a stage hand.

Many people do not realize how true your statement is. Charlie was a huge help to Elvis on stage. All one has to do is watch the Aloha concert and keep their eye on Charlie. Whatever Charlie was paid, he earned it.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:21 pm

londonflash wrote:Sherril Neilsen. Another person whose voice just grates most of the time. If I hear "O Sole Mio" again, I will kill.

But I love the shows that featured him performing "Walk With Me." It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I could listen to that one all day.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Matthew wrote:
Axeman wrote:
TJ wrote:

Axe

Axe

He may have been a good friend to Elvis, but his "harmonies" were terrible. Go spin the import "As I Leave You" if you have it.
He could be just as good a friend offstage as well as on.

I'll take JD and Sherrill over Charlie anyday...ok well Sherrill anyway. I have grown weary of that B-52 routine...

Axe

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:03 pm

londonflash wrote:I'd have said goodbye to....

J. D. Sumner. Ray Walker he ain't. If I hear that B-52 routine again, I may kill.

Sherril Neilsen. Another person whose voice just grates most of the time. If I hear "O Sole Mio" again, I will kill.

Voice. The worst backing singers ever. Period. Their voices blend like butter and orange juice. No wonder Tom Jones didn't want to know.

Kathy Westmoreland. Too middle of the road for me.

Duke Bardwell. Nice guy, but didn't have the talent to play alongside someone of Elvis' stature.

All solid suggestions.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Voice was a colossal waste of Elvis' money.

I'm ok with J.D., but the double dive bomb routine had to go. And Elvis should've sang Why Me Lord?

Sherril was an extra tenor backing voice that Elvis didn't need. I don't mind his voice though. Decent Irish tenor. But I've grown to loath the O Sole Mio bit almost as much as the double dive bomb routine.

I'm ok with Kathy. I like her soprano bits during Something and a few other songs. But the songs still would've come across quite well without her.