Q mag's 100 Greatest Singers: Elvis Is Rated At....

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Q mag's 100 Greatest Singers: Elvis Is Rated At....

Post by Liverbobs »

...Number 1! :D Good to see Elvis being recognised almost 30 years after his death. In the past Q have been less than flattering in some of their articles about him but I guess this makes up for it,
I'm not going to type the top 100 but here's the top 10:

10. Jeff Buckley
9. Mick Jagger
8. Robert Plant
7.Kurt Cobain
6. Marvin Gaye
5.John Lennon
4. Otis Redding
3.Frank Sinatra
2.Aretha Franklin
1. Elvis :D

I disagree with Cobain being number 7 and why have John Lennon at 5 and poor old Macca is at 32 (as much as I like Lennon!) but I suppose it's all for healthy debate isn't it?

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Joern
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Joern »

Jeff Buckley should've get one of the first three places.

Man, what a voice!

Joern

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

I certainly agree with number 1, but the rest of their choices show the shallowness of their tastes in music. There is no concievable way that Lennon, Cobain, Jagger, Buckley, or even Gaye should be in the top ten of a list of great SINGERS. (It's also a stretch for Robert Plant IMO) Someone needs to play these self important music editors some records by the likes of Sam Cooke, Solomon Burke, Ray Charles or even Dean Martin.

King Of The Jungle

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

At least they got Elvis right. I would add Dennis DeYoung former lead singer of Styx in that category. He had an incredible voice.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Nice to see Elvis at #1, where he belongs. The Top 10 is ok, IMO, though I agree that Kurt Cobain doesn't belong anywhere nere the top 10. But Jeff Buckley was a fantastic singer, and definately deserves to be included!

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

Freddie Mercury should surely be top 10.

norrie

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Nice to see Elvis at #1, where he belongs. The Top 10 is ok, IMO, though I agree that Kurt Cobain doesn't belong anywhere nere the top 10. But Jeff Buckley was a fantastic singer, and definately deserves to be included!
I feel embarrassed, but who is Jeff Buckley? :oops:

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Joe Car wrote:I feel embarrassed, but who is Jeff Buckley? :oops:
http://www.jeffbuckley.com/ The official site
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=4568 Jeff's memorial marker
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7074977 Jeff's famous father

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Tits McGhee
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Tits McGhee »

How very very trendy to include the likes of Buckley and Cobain.

Where's Arthur Alexander?
Where's Jackie Wilson?
Where's Pookie Hudson?
Where's George Jones?
Where's Tony Williams?
Where's Gene Vincent?

Come to think of it...where's Ger Rijff?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Yeah, Cobain a top ten vocalist. :roll: Did the dude ever sing in tune? He was a talent, no doubt about it, but a top ten vocalist? What was the criteria? Amazing that Q didn't have their beloved Thom Yorke in there; another guy that is never in tune.

These lists never have any credibility.

Btw, Joe Car, have a listen to Buckley's sole full length studio album Grace.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

i have never heard of Jeff Buckley and for him to be in the top ten is a joke and Freddie Mercury not being in the top ten says it all but at least they got the number 1 spot right.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Hard to take a list seriously with such staggering omissions:

As has been said (and not said) ..... no Freddie Mercury, James Brown, Ray Charles or Karen Carpenter? Or Roy Orbison? Or Roberta Flack? I'd easily place these at the top with Elvis -- not (comparitively) two bit singers like Lennon and Cobain.*

*Not disparaging these guys. They had very distinct voices in their own right, but is this list about singers, or all-round artistry / impact? It seems they were going for a little more of the latter, yet the above exclusions are still galling even based on that broader criteria.

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

The list seems to confuse effectiveness at performance with actual great singing. Hence the placement of Jagger, Lennon and Plant.

I have no problem with Gaye being on but Cooke should be on especially over Redding. Of course how do you pick ten great singers.

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

Sanatra is so over rated, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennet and Bing Crosby are all so much better. Even Dean Martin was a better singer. One of the best under rated singers is Mike Nesmith. I would put him number 2.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

LonnieBeale wrote:Sanatra is so over rated
Of course he is.

Might explain why I've never heard of him.

Now, Frank SINATRA, on the other hand... :wink:

Any list worth its salt HAS to have Sinatra and Elvis on it. MINIMUM.

Keggyhander
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Keggyhander »

I would put John Farnham and Tom Jones in the top ten.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

No one ever gives Burl Ives his due!!!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

rocknroller wrote:i have never heard of Jeff Buckley and for him to be in the top ten is a joke and Freddie Mercury not being in the top ten says it all but at least they got the number 1 spot right.
Well since you have never heard of Jeff Buckley, that is all the justification one needs to exclude him from a list ranking top vocalists.... :roll: Maybe you should actually listen to the man before dismissing his vocal talents.

You are correct about Mercury though. How one can put Cobain in front of Freddie on any list celebrating top vocalists shows that Q's list holds zero credibility.

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

Cryogenic wrote:Hard to take a list seriously with such staggering omissions:

As has been said (and not said) ..... no Freddie Mercury, James Brown, Ray Charles or Karen Carpenter? Or Roy Orbison? Or Roberta Flack? I'd easily place these at the top with Elvis -- not (comparitively) two bit singers like Lennon and Cobain.*

*Not disparaging these guys. They had very distinct voices in their own right, but is this list about singers, or all-round artistry / impact? It seems they were going for a little more of the latter, yet the above exclusions are still galling even based on that broader criteria.
James Brown was a SINGER?????

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

LonnieBeale wrote:Sanatra is so over rated, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennet and Bing Crosby are all so much better. Even Dean Martin was a better singer. One of the best under rated singers is Mike Nesmith. I would put him number 2.
:shock:

I thought the whole world knew that the absolute best singer in the world is Barry Manilow closely followed by Wayne Newton :P

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Jeff Buckley had an fantastic voice and startling vocal control, his inclusion should not be considered a trend.

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Narek »

Lennon, Kobain, Jagger great singers? What are the parameters they are judging? Since we're talking singers, then it would be logical to talk about vocals. Freddie Mercury should come right after Elvis and Sinatra.

And I strongly disagree with the criticism of Sinatra. He was a great vacalist, a revolutioneer in his place, not as much as our man but still. Sinatra had a technique and talent that will remain appreciated forever.

Tony Bennett was stunned when Sinatra recorded The Summer Wind in just one take. And the song is flawless. Now that's a professional!

He's the King. No matter what you think.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Elvis at #1, where he rightfully belongs :!: Good Job :!: :D

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

The list can get fuzzy and messy after the #1 spot... but hey they did get the #1 spot correct on this list at least! :D

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I just saw the magazine and the entire Top 100 list and despite Elvis' placing and the perspicacious Top three, this has got to be the worst list ever compiled of great singers in the history of the world. No Bobby Darin, Jackie Wilson, et al. Thomas Yorke of Radiohead ahead of Sam Cooke. Axl Rose, champion screecher ahead of Dionne Warwick who languishes in the bottom quarter. The list in fact is dominated by non-singers. By the standards of this list Elvis ranks among the greatest guitar players ever due to his playing on the '68 TV show.

We wonder why Elvis often gets short shrift. This list, in spite of Elvis' placement, reveals why. When it comes to great singing, today's critical establishment does not know its butt from a hole in the ground. These choices look like they were just randomly thrown together. If you view the art/skill of singing so haphazardly you're bound to dismiss it.