All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:01 am

It's always been my understanding from what I've read that the SRO album was to be a combination of "Live" and studio tracks. Somewhat along the lines of the revamped Burning Love cd.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:15 am

Hello DarrylMac,

I believe you are completely misinformed regarding the Feb. '72 Las Vegas and the March '72 studio recordings. The purpose of the February '72 recordings was to record material that Elvis had added to his live repertoire for single consideration and album filler. These would include "You Gave Me A Mountain," "It's Over", "Never Been To Spain," "Little Sister/Get Back," "An American Trilogy", "It's Impossible" and "The Impossible Dream." Being that Elvis had been announcing for over a year that "The Impossible Dream" would be a forthcoming single. This probably led to the decision to record selections from this engagement. However Elvis changed his mind after listening to the playbacks and chose "An American Trilogy" for single release." The March sessions were done with the intent to record more material suitable for single release ("Burning Love", "It's A Matter Of Time", "Separate Ways," "Always On My Mind", and "Fool" Of the two remaining songs from this session "Where Do I Go From Here" would have been the B-side to "Fool" hadn't "Steamroller Blues" been made available on single by popular demand. As for "For The Good Times", it's clearly obvious that they had no intent to put this out as a single and doubly so as album filler after the MSG album was released. So it was shelved until 1995 when the 70s boxset came out. The "Standing Room Only" album was to commence recording in Knoxville but unfortunately the recording equipment failed. However the album was to feature performances from the four April '72 concerts that were recorded (Hampton Roads, Richmond, Greensboro and San Antonio). The tracklisting was to be for Standing Room Only:

Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme) / See See Rider / Proud Mary / Never Been To Spain / You Gave Me A Mountain / A Big Hunk O' Love / For The Good Times / Burning Love / An American Trilogy / It's Over / I Can't Stop Loving You / Polk Salad Annie / Funny How Time Slips Away / Lawdy Miss Clawdy / Can't Help Falling In Love

From this tracklisting you can deduce that 2001, See See Rider, Never Been To Spain, You Gave Me A Mountain, For The Good Times, An American Trilogy, Polk Salad Annie and Can't Help Falling In Love could have been taken from any of the four shows recorded on the April tour.

Proud Mary could have been taken from Richmond, Greensboro and San Antonio.

A Big Hunk O' Love could have come from Hampton or Greensboro.

Burning Love could have come from Greensboro or San Antonio.

It's Over would have come from Richmond.

I Can't Stop Loving You could have come from Hampton, Richmond or San Antonio.

Funny How Time Slips Away could have been taken from Richmond, Greensboro or San Antonio.

Lawdy Miss Clawdy would have been taken from either Hampton or Richmond.

This all became moot when Joan Deary/RCA decided to record at Madison Square Garden which not only eliminated the Standing Room Only album but also much of the potential album filler that was recorded in February. Whatever little material that was left was taken care of during the Aloha concert (It's Over, You Gave Me A Mountain and A Big Hunk O' Love) leaving only "It's Impossible" which was used on the "Elvis (Fool)" album and of course the single version of "An American Trilogy" which was released in '72.

Daryl

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:23 am

Daryl -
A very polite, informative and accurate post. Have you ever worked for RCA by any chance?