All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis mustache picture from the 50's

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:17 am

I was browsing around Borders books the other day and came across the large budget book, "Unseen Archives", and I saw a picture in there from about late 1956 or early 1957 with Elvis sporting a mustache.
I remember there was a thread or post on here a month or so ago that mentioned this but no pictures, so if you are curious you know where to look now.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:05 am

My Sister bought me this book for Christmas.

I didn't notice any picture of Elvis sporting a Mustache,so I just had another look,are you referring to the picture where he is holding the Pistol?

I can't tell if it's a Mustache,or just shadow !
:D

Dan.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:23 am

Some great pics in that book

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:42 am

Dan wrote:

I can't tell if it's a Mustache,or just shadow !

Yep that's the one. Yep its not a real thick thing is it. But it is rare. The only picture I have seen of its kind from the 50's.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:12 am

It is the beginning of a moustache.

I don't know which pic is being referred to in this case but the one that was circulating for years in many many books was the one with Elvis in his car close up and I think George Klein could be seen looking to camera from the passenger seat.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:24 pm

What page is the moustache on?

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Page 80.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:06 pm

Could someone please post a pic of this shot ?
later Elton

Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:48 pm

Yes that's the photo i refered to above, only in UA it is considerably cropped but only leaving out George Klein. I'll try an post the full pic if i can but it is over two pages in the book, "Elvis - In His Own Words" by Mick Farren & Pearce Marchbank p62 &p63.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:05 pm

i remember one or a few (?) pictures where it appeared that elvis had some upper lip peach fuzz. :lol:

are you referring to the peach fuzz? perhaps i can track down the pic...

ok, not the one i was looking for, but obviously from the same adorable attempt at a mustache.

i think i remember this picture larger where you can actually see the mustache a bit better...i could be off on this one though.

as i thought, there's several pics. the one i do remember was sitting on a couch. these pics are from '56, btw.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:12 pm

In the book, the clarity does definitely show a moustache. I love the cover of the book. That pic from Tupelo very closely resembles an Elvis 1970..You could change outfit and hairstyle and it would be the same..

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Neat shots of "El Vez"! I saw them years ago and probably half-noticed that.
Charro is another related foray ...
ImageImage

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:27 am

THere is a picture in a book(I cannot remember which one) where he looks like he has a full mustache. It looks like late sixties. He is holding a baby, so you cannot see it well. It looks like after CHARRO! he might have shaved the beard and keept the mustache for a a very brief time!!!

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi all!

Elvis attempted to grow a mustache on more than one occasion. Look closely at the pics from Sept 9, 1954 at Katz Drug Store. Ain´t that the beginning of a mustache as well.

Here goes the story about his March 1957 attempt:

Well, it ain't no big thing, but it's growing. No, I´m not referring to the title of the song Elvis recorded in June 1970, but the mustache he started to grow on his long train trip from Hollywood. Whether he was growing it for his next movie or just for fun, or to improve his looks couldn't be learned. All Elvis would say was that it was the start of a mustache. With his friend George Klein Elvis tooled his 1956 Continental Mark II into the parking lot across from the Hotel Chisca at 10:30 on Friday night March 22. A typical Elvis jam session resulted with so many teenagers about that the car couldn't be moved for awhile. The 18 year old Marine Pfc. Hershel Nixon of St. Louis, Mo. who was passing by, stopped to strike up a conversation with Elvis. Nixon said to Elvis: "You bumped into my wife as she walked out of a restaurant about two months ago. She told me all about it." Elvis figured the Marine was trying to start a fight and he took out a gun - a Hollywood prop pistol that shoot blanks - and told him: "You don't want to start any trouble with me, do you?" Elvis was smiling, and he thought the Marine knew it wasn't a real gun

All according to the local Memphis paper from back then. Well, except from that reference to the 1970-song.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:22 pm

JonRomanovich wrote:I love the cover of the book. That pic from Tupelo very closely resembles an Elvis 1970..You could change outfit and hairstyle and it would be the same

There are at least three different covers for this book (that I know of!), all with the same back cover

I got another copy of this book as a Christmas present because when asked if I had the book, looking at the cover, I didn't think I had it!

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:01 pm

I nearly bought ti again until i flicked through it.

I got the bottom left one a couple of years ago in ASDA for £9.99 but saw the top right cover in Woolies just before this last christmas @ £7.99 and thought that it seemed a pretty big tomb of a book for that and then I flicked through it and new i already had it.

but the latest one is a bit smaller smaller than the one i bought a couple of years ago.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:39 am

And I saw another cover today in a store, with an very grainy shot of Elvis sitting on a chair.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:02 am

i got the one of elvis sitting in the chair (3rd pic--bottom left) for last xmas. it's a good book. the december 1970 pics of him are so incredibly handsome, imo. i was looking through it the other day.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:08 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:i got the one of elvis sitting in the chair (3rd pic--bottom right) for last xmas

Bottom Right???

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 am

Thats marketing for you! lol

I didn't think I had the book that was mentioned in the first thread.... then I saw the book covers and noticed that I do have this book also! :lol: I have the one of Elvis sitting in chair bottom left. Also got mine for Christmas 2004. :P

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:09 am

whoops i ment bottom left. shame on me. :lol: sorry for going dyslexic on you between the time i looked at the post to when i typed it.

yeah, the chair one.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:55 pm

The truth has never really been told about the mustache photo or the original photo shown either for that matter. I've talked to the folks at Altered Elvis and they do have a copy of the orignal pic. It shows the mustache very clearly and possibly a reason why our man might have been undercover that evening..

8)

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:06 pm

Don't think any of those pics qualifiy as a moustache myself.

The Unseen Archives does feature some nice photos though and its a bargain. There are other 'unseen archives' books in the series on; Marilyn, ALi, the Beatles and the Stones. They've been know to change the covers so it looks like there's a new book out.

I'd like to have seen a picture of Elvis with the white hair and white beard that he was supposed to have had after he'd shut himself away in his room at Graceland back in the 60's.

If the Memphis Mafia hadn't taken the piss calling him Moses maybe he'd have changed his look - that would have been a bit radical though.

Imagine Elvis turning up on the set of one of movies looking like something from Biblical times. Holy Moses in....Clambake or whatever. Don't think the image would have fitted the films somehow.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:23 pm

I was just thinking.................

Those 50's pics of Elvis with his 'Brando' leather jacket & cap.

Good thing he never sported a moustache then !

He would have looked like that guy from the Village People !

Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 am

Sorry, gang, it was this book I saw:

Author: Jeff Scott
Publisher: Channel Photographics, New York
(Hardback, 120 pp.)

Here's the review from our down under friends, by David Neale

Review - Elvis: The Personal Archives
By David Neale (Source: Books In Print Dec 17, 2005)

Elvis: The Personal Archives

Elvis occupies an ambivalent position in the strange world of art -- perhaps that should be Art, with a capital "A," for I am not referring to the art of music or film, but that of the art gallery: static visual art. I suppose that Wertheimer's emotive black and white photographs of Elvis in 1956 count as art and probably represent the first entry of Elvis into that area, however unconscious and serendipitous. Since then Elvis has hardly made the big time in this often excessively intellectual domain -- yes, there was Any Warhol's use of Elvis's image in the early 1960s, but that was most certainly the exception, rather than the rule. This dearth is reflected in Elvis literature, too, for few books have made any considered effort to study Elvis's influence on art. My own Elvis In Print site lists a mere four titles and one of those deals with what might be considered art of a lesser form -- postage stamps -- while another, Joni Mabe's "Everything Elvis," is open to ridicule.

Is it not strange that a cultural icon as powerful as Elvis has been largely neglected in the serious art world? I can only imagine that my previous reference to "this often excessively intellectual domain" has something to do with it.

Enter Jeff Scott. A few years ago Jeff began exhibiting his Elvis-based work at the Jay Etkin Gallery in Memphis. Now Jeff is more than just another struggling artist trying to get a break. He has built a reputation for himself with his dramatic imagery of the USA's historic and cultural landscape, and his works are on permanent exhibition in such collections as the Dallas Museum of Art, the Smithsonian Institution and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Jeff works largely with photographic techniques, using these to produce collages and montages.

Artists who have made use of Elvis's image have tended to resort to hackneyed imagery, repeating similar themes, relying on Elvis's own recognizability as much as artistic merit. It is, then, refreshing to see that the works of Jeff Scott rely as much on Elvis's personal, largely private, possessions, and are thus more thought-provoking and perhaps even more accessible to the (pseudo-)intellectuals of the art world.

Some of Jeff Scott's photographic works are presented in the finely produced book, "Elvis: The Personal Archives." For once EPE seems to have acted sensibly, providing Jeff with previously unheard of access to Elvis's private items and Scott has rewarded this generosity with many very fine works which represent Elvis the man far more than Elvis the entertainer.

Fans will recognise some items in the photographic works included in the book, but others will be new even to the most fervent. In this way, the book offers immediate interest to the Elvis fan. And don't worry, Elvis's image is here, too, though it is sometimes photographically manipulated to such an extent that it is almost unrecognisable, but still highly attractive and enjoyable.

Just a few of the 120 pages of the book are given over to text. A rather tedious and overly complex foreword (is there a Plain English Campaign in the USA?) by art historian E.A. Carmean Jr. is followed by a shorter and more readable introduction by Jeff Scott himself. From then on it is a lavish, beautifully designed and printed cornucopia of great Elvis art, the works accompanied by the briefest of captions.

Altogether, this is a superb collection of photographic works of art that should help promote Elvis's acceptability as a serious cultural icon. If you like well produced books, are interested in art, or interested in photography (being interested in Elvis goes without saying, of course), then you will enjoy leafing through 'Elvis: The Personal Archives' again and again.
Author: Jeff Scott
Publisher: Channel Photographics, New York
(Hardback, 120 pp.)

David Neale December 2005