All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Concept behind the TM soundtrack

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:13 am

Can someone please explain the logic that went into deciding the content of the "Tickle Me" soundtrack?
I'm sure this has been discussed but after hearing the entire FTD release this past week,
and although I enjoyed pretty much all of the CD, I cannot for the life of me figure out why
they would take 1960-64 studio recordings and throw them into a movie soundtrack...
were people that stupid back in 1965???
Also, half of the tracks on the FTD Tickle Me have already been released on the Elvis Is Back FTD...
It has probably been 20+ years since I've seen the movie but I can't even begin to imagine how these songs would fit into the script???
Oh hell... just forget it... she is really quite hot... who cares about the soundtrack...

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:39 am

There is a letter inside the booklet from Colonel to Elvis expaining why he decided to do this with this film. Basicly to save time(& money) and hopefully put some songs back in the limelight that may have been overlooked. The bonus cuts on the FTD were songs that Colonel also wanted in the project, but never made it.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tickle Me

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:41 am

Yeah, I agree. That soundtrack, er, hmmm. Yeah, it was, ah. What movie are we talking about again? The picture seems to have my attention.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:48 am

There is also a small clipping in the booklet from a Memphis paper saying that they were trying to get Brigitte Bardot for this film... I'm glad they changed their mind! See picture above! :D

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:48 am

Brad, people could complain about why didn't they put good studio work into a film soundtrack.

Well, with TM, they did.

I'd rather have "It Feels So Right" in that film than to have a
hastily-penned Scene #23 song filler called "Dude Ranch Rhumba"

well?

Re: Concept behind the TM soundtrack

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:54 am

elvis-fan wrote:were people that stupid back in 1965???

It's not so much that they were stupid. It was a new Elvis movie and they couldn't care less where the songs came from. At that time, Elvis' films were still a pretty hot commodity and people were rushing to theaters to catch the film. They were not like we are now when it comes to knowing alternative takes and such. Actually, they might have enjoyed seeing the film at the time and hearing tunes they were already familiar with. Tickle Me had some pretty good songs in it.

I'm not quite that old, but that had to be great. A Saturday night at the drive-in with a cute little babe watching the latest Elvis flick. Sitting in a convertable with her top down (the car, I mean) and watching Elvis beat up Red then kiss Jocelyn.

As Archie Bunker always sang....Those were the days.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:25 am

elvis-fan wrote:Can someone please explain the logic that went into deciding the content of the "Tickle Me" soundtrack?
I'm sure this has been discussed but after hearing the entire FTD release this past week,
and although I enjoyed pretty much all of the CD, I cannot for the life of me figure out why
they would take 1960-64 studio recordings and throw them into a movie soundtrack...
Also, half of the tracks on the FTD Tickle Me have already been released on the Elvis Is Back FTD...
It has probably been 20+ years since I've seen the movie but I can't even begin to imagine how these songs would fit into the script???
Oh hell... just forget it... she is really quite hot... who cares about the soundtrack...

There's another pic for your collection Colin :D

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 am

elvis-fan wrote:Can someone please explain the logic that went into deciding the content of the "Tickle Me" soundtrack?

Have you read the booklet ? It is all explained there. Oh wait, you do have the booklet and not just an illegal copy on CD-R, don't you ?

Chris

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:49 am

Chris -
You know good and well that no one does that here. This crowd is strictly a "buy the original" group of people.

We can certainly hope so anyway.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:54 am

Brad -

Using decent songs in an Elvis film [for once] should have been a good move.

But they are all staged in a cheap, quick, tacky way.

Instead of the songs lifting the film to a new level, the film drags them down to the level of the typical Elvis film.

Something of a wasted opportunity.

The inclusion of Jocelyn Lane saves the day.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:12 pm

Does this mean you think there not that stupid today? Anyhow, the reason for this was that the movie company, Allied Artists, didn't have the money to produce a soundtrack for this. So it was decided to use some of Elvis' recordings from Nashville.

elvis-fan wrote:Also, half of the tracks on the FTD Tickle Me have already been released on the Elvis Is Back FTD...

Hmmh, what about stupid fans back in 1965 ...? :? :x :wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:30 pm

Jocelyn Lane was hot isnĀ“t it??? :twisted: :twisted:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:43 pm

Hot was she?

Well... maybe a little!

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:57 pm

Elvis must have made a move on her eh? He'd have been insane not to :)

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:50 pm

ChrisM wrote:

Have you read the booklet ? It is all explained there. Oh wait, you do have the booklet and not just an illegal copy on CD-R, don't you ?

Chris

OK, no, I'm not offended by your comment as I must assume it was all in good humor.
I actually do have the FTD release... and even perused the booklet... just haven't got around to actually reading it.
It's a pity they didn't include any color shots of JL in it
:cry:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:53 pm

That bikini just has to be banana flavoured, right ?

Look I'm lifting the desk - no hands!

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A quick web search found the following lovely Jocelyn Lane "tribute" site:

http://jocelynlane.nstemp.com/index.html

I guess to see that hot shot goes in and out and doesn't always work,so y'all are going to have to visit the site yourselves!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Err, back to "discussing the 'Tickle Me' soundtrack".... :oops:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:00 am

I can't believe there aren't clearer shots of her... she was freaking unbelievable!!!
Anyway, I just read the liner notes from the booklet under "SOUNDTRACK"...
It seems that this whole project was really an after-thought.
The one comment speaks volumes about the Colonel's management style when it came to Elvis...
"That is all I'm going to suggest because you know more about picking tunes than I do, but I know what I can sell best commercially..."

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:46 am

"The Colonel is just shrewd, is all."

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:04 am

It wasn't that bad a move. It certainly wasn't the first time that an artist had used pre-existing recordings in a movie. It was pretty common place for most of those '50s rock extraganzas and it the Beatles also did it in "Hard Day's Night". Since album tracks were chosen, many casual fans had not heard these numbers before.

RCA kind of hedged their bets by not releasing a full soundtrack just an EP and some singles. Since these songs were new to the casuals the singles did quite well on the charts. Their success speaks well of the depth of Elvis' catalogues as his "B-team" could storm the charts as well as his songs originally chosen for singles. For hardcore fans who had all the stuff, it wasn't bad either. They could enjoy the songs in the new movie and immediately go home and listen to them without having to tromp out and buy a new soundtrack. As has been pointed out in general the songs chosen were far superior to the Elvis movie tunes. There are several first rate pieces here- "Dirty Dirty Feeling", "It Feels So Right", "Long Lonely Highway", "Night Rider", "Put the Blame on Me"- I'm glad the movie gave them a broader airing.

This is one of the reasons why I find "Tickle Me" a little more durable than say "Clambake". The pointless overdubs though do hurt some tracks like "Dirty Dirty Feeling" and as Colin pointed out many of the numbers are staged badly.

The "Put the Blame on Me" sequence though is one of the best in any Elvis movie for its absolute wackiness and for the Ms. Lane admirers she is unbearably sexy in this scene.

Not sure she was a boost over Brigitte Bardot. Lane's big claim to fame was a passing resemblance to Bardot. I don't think Bardot was seriously considered for the movie. If they couldn't pay for a soundtrack what makes anyone think they would pay for Bardot?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:13 am

Given that years later we can find fans' own "videos" of songs he never was seen singing (like the great unofficial "I'm A Roustabout" video), I suppose we ought to enjoy that Elvis did songs from the always acclaimed "Elvis is Back" - albeit via lip-synching.

I finally labored through "Harum Scarum" this weekend (as mentioned elsewhere) but have to give the slight nod to "Tickle Me" for the light comedy and somewhat more easy-on-the-eyes leading lady. Both were absurdly cheap movies! Both were signs he had hit rock bottom, wouldn't you say?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:42 am

likethebike wrote:It wasn't that bad a move. It certainly wasn't the first time that an artist had used pre-existing recordings in a movie... Since album tracks were chosen, many casual fans had not heard these numbers before.

I just find it a little odd that they would choose recordings from two-three years prior and
selections already released on full-length LP's... Elvis Is Back, Pot Luck & Something For Everybody.
Let's face it... I don't believe there were/are many "casual" Elvis fans... period... and I would bet those
people going to the theatre to see an Elvis movie in 1965 would have heard / been familiar with most of those tracks.
No originality went into the soundtrack of this picture... it seems pretty lame for an entertainer of Elvis' stature.
The Colonel just couldn't get those pieces of crap out fast enough.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:34 am

How's this for originality?

Tickle Me Soundtrack:

1. Dude Ranch Rhumba
2. Saddle Sore Sugar
3. (I Warm Up To) Campfire Cuties
4. Boss Makes A Pass Serenade
5. Ghost Town O-Rama
6. Hunka Hunka Haunted House

:lol:

is that what you would prefer? A slew of new songs to fit the film?

- why complain that some good tracks from recent past LPs are featured?

There's alot of original stupid songs put in other Elvis films simply because they were written for Scene #2...Scene #14...Scene #17....Scene #36...Scene #59...Scene #71...

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:16 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:How's this for originality?

Tickle Me Soundtrack:

1. Dude Ranch Rhumba
2. Saddle Sore Sugar
3. (I Warm Up To) Campfire Cuties
4. Boss Makes A Pass Serenade
5. Ghost Town O-Rama
6. Hunka Hunka Haunted House

:lol:

is that what you would prefer? A slew of new songs to fit the film?

- why complain that some good tracks from recent past LPs are featured?

There's alot of original stupid songs put in other Elvis films simply because they were written for Scene #2...Scene #14...Scene #17....Scene #36...Scene #59...Scene #71...

This is rather pointless. Of course a "slew" of new songs would be MUCH better.

A "Return To Sender" or "A little Less Conversation" might just have turned up.

We would have another half dozen songs in our bag!

The Tickle Me soundtrack was just CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP - and just a total lack of consideration to the fans from the Colonel.

If Allied Artists were cash strapped - tough Scheff!. the contract should have been broken and the movie awarded to a producer prepared to pay for the use of Elvis!

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:03 am

Don't tell me he was banging Ann Margrett and Jocelyn Lane at the same time, not to mention starlets, no wonder he never left Hollywood for ten years! I wouldn't have either. What a lucky guy.