Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis playing instruments during sessions

Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:09 am

As a folow up to the harmony vocals i like to start a topic about Elvis playing any kind of instrument during a session. There a a few that comes to mind. He's playing bass on "Baby I Don't Care" and on all of the sun tracks he's playing flat top. I believe he's playing the acoustic on mostly all of the januari 56 sessions. I Want you, i need you, i love you is a hard one, in the photobook about this song there are pics with and without a guitar. It's unclear on which songs he's playing piano. I once read something about a sun track where he's playing piano (trying to get to you ??). In the 60's he playing guitar, but it's hardly to hear. On the june 70 sessions he's playing the acoustic for sure. Have you guys to there any fews about this. The recording sessions books are not pretty clear on which song he's playing the six strings or the ebony and ivory.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:54 pm

On the out-takes of "True Love Travels On a Gravel Road" from the 69 sessions you here Elvis playing some guitar. It sounds out of place at times. You even here Felton tell him 'if it helps you o.k. but the one time in the middle sounds funny'.

I also like the comment Elvis makes about playing the piano on "After Loving You". Before one take he says 'I'm going to have to play piano on this'. Then after says 'somebody else is gonna have to take the lead I can't play it to save my ass that piano'.

Fun stuff

RKS