Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Autograph Hoax.

Fri May 23, 2003 3:09 am

This is pretty funny stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=29873

(For somebody whose autograph isn't worth much ....... :wink: ......... some people sure do go thru a whole lot of trouble to fake it.)

N8
...just a fan....

Fri May 23, 2003 3:24 am

Hi

I just wondered what your findings on this auto were........I'm rather a novice in the authenticating autographs field but the signature on that auction seems pretty reasonable to me - I've come accross far worse examples that are considered by some to be the real deal.

I know authenticating these things is often a minefield ......but it seems to match a lot of the criteria for spotting a genuine piece.

I'd be interested in your broader opinion.

Thanks.

Fri May 23, 2003 3:27 am

Hmm on closer inspection maybe I know where you guys are coming from - still like for you to expand on it a little if you have time.

Fri May 23, 2003 4:17 am

Besides the story and backstage pass obviously being bogus, ....... the autograph has many problems.

There is almost nothing "right" about the sig.. Somethings in particular especially stand out - the "S" (Sincerely), dotted "i" (Elvis), wavering baseline from "Elvis" to "Presley", the "s" in Presley, the "ey" combination in Presley, the "y" in Presley (loop and all) ................

Not even questionable. It is bogus.

Although Elvis' sig. is highly variable, there are always general consistencies. Forgerers are rarely able to execute them all perfectly. Some of the best forgeries I have ever seen were the ones sourced to Europe - the handwritten lyrics with multiple sigs. throughout. The sheer audacity of forging not ONLY Elvis' full signature but lines and lines of text was as bold as it gets. Even so, they (the forgerers) still missed something - they used the wrong kind of ink (ink manufactured after 1980).

Autographs always fall into one of three categories: obviously authentic, questionable, and obviously forged. Whenever there is doubt, walk away - because there are plenty of non-questionable ones out there to be had.

I've seen secretarials, "questionable", and outright fakes sold from some even very reputable sellers. Opinions vary widely. There is a learning curve in dealing with Elvis' autographs - and it is very steep.

The main point to be learned here, I think, is that people do go thru a lot of trouble to fake/forge items - whether they be autographs or Elvis' personal items. Why? ................... because there is big $$$ to be gained from it...........that, and a lot of people would like to own something from either category.

Knowledge in what you collect and a healthy supply of prudent skepticism go a long way in protecting you from fraud (intentional or otherwise on the part of the seller).

N8
...just a fan....
Last edited by N880EP on Fri May 23, 2003 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 23, 2003 4:23 am

Thanks

One of the things I spotted was the dotted 'i' in Elvis .......but it kinda looked a bit like a speck on the paper.

I guess this is one reason why I don't collect Elvis autographs.......you can rarely be 100 % sure can you - I mean 100 % sure you have a genuine item.

It's still interesting trying to spot the wheat among the chaff.

Fri May 23, 2003 4:33 am

Actually, autographs are easier than personal items.

Part of the appeal, in both, IS in finding the real deal. When you do, you have something that very few others do (genuine, that is). :wink:

N8
...just a fan....