Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: MRS (EP) ‘Such A Night in Pearl Harbor’ Press release !

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:59 am

midnightx wrote:I don't think prerogative has anything to do with it. I listened to the audio from the Amazon samples and the RCA version and came away with an opinion. You seem defensive about your choice to buy the MRS release. Hope it fulfills your needs. I already have a version that sounds as good. If I didn't have the EAP Silver Box, I would absolutely consider obtaining the MRS release. It is a great show. Again, none of this is the issue. The issue many of us are discussing has to do with the disingenuous rhetoric by the MRS staff-members and cheerleaders that this upcoming release contains a significant improvement in sound and that it is from an obvious new source. MRS would have more credibility if it were honest about what this release really is.

Proof is in the pudding, we have samples and clearly shows its better than ever. For you to say otherwise after listening can only be because you are deaf and have no ear for music, or you dont mind making yourself a fool over it. Take your pick. :roll:

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:17 am

Master of Muppets wrote:Proof is in the pudding, we have samples and clearly shows its better than ever. For you to say otherwise after listening can only be because you are deaf and have no ear for music, or you dont mind making yourself a fool over it. Take your pick. :roll:

Count me in on the deaf and dump side. People shouting that there is à major improvement are fooling themselves.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 am

I have to admit that these samples sound mighty fine and promising to me. We all know that this is not a multitrack recording. I wish we could have more recordings from the 50's or early 60's in this sound. Even though the few Vegas recordings that we have from 1956 are in superior sound, those are rather boring while this show really kicks ass.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:35 am

JimmyCool wrote:Maybe not night and day, but the dropouts seems to be gone...and I like that :wink:

Agree!

Lennart

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Master of Muppets wrote:Liar, im calling you a liar! :shock: But since you are part of the 3 Musketeers with Matthew and the Doc it comes as no surprise to us fans.
Within seconds there is a noticeable difference on these low res mp3's. This cannot be denied. This is night and day. But fans serious about the issue and not into politics know this. Facts speak for themselves, you wanna look like a dick then be a dick, its your choice.

Your comments are of little surprise considering you are directly affiliated with the label. You operate in shadows and disception playing on the general ignorance of the fan base in matters of audio restoration. I'm not saying this release isn't from a different tape source (you'd know this if you were keeping up) but as already pointed out, repaired dropouts do not always equal a new or better tape source. It's amazing what anyone with know how can achieve with even free audio editing software these days.

Maybe the next MRS release can come out with all the hyperbole, how about that muppet?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:55 pm

More attempts at subterfuge. I have posted in the past what can be achieved with merely the likes of Audacity on this very forum, such as repairing the intro to Just Because - and I'm not even a sound engineer! A couple of years ago for my own enjoyment I seamlessly reconstructed the NBC-TV Special album from the superior live sources on Complete Comeback. If you'd bothered to process my post you'll see that I haven't once accused MRS of using the BMG CD, merely pointed out that arguing "the dropouts are no longer there" does not maketh robust proof that a better or different tape source has been used.

But hey, it's not the crown jewels, it's only a CD - no need to get so bent out of shape over it tcb1!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:36 pm

MRS have long since set the standard on de-luxe packaging at a remarkable price.

Therefore any real Elvis fan (OK, most fans), unless destitute, would want to buy this release even if the CD was an exact duplicate of the silver box audio. If they've improved the sound, in whatever way (and, yes, that is always subjective) then there are plenty of us who don't have the equipment, the software, the know-how or time to do such a thing ourselves, who will be grateful.

If they have somehow repaired the dropouts (which surely means an alternative source to the 1978/1980 releases) then it's got to be a "no-brainer" - which it is, anyway. What else do you get in this world for £12.00 ?

Be grateful, everyone, that any recording of this show exists at all ; and be grateful that, in the 21st Century, the technology exists to be able to bring us such delectable offerings, beautifully presented. Or would you rather be back in 1966/67 with the Easy Come Easy Go and Clambake soundtracks to look forward to ?

Just to be clear, and in the context of this topic, I have no allegiance to anyone other than Elvis and myself.

Steve Morse

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Steve Morse wrote:If they have somehow repaired the dropouts (which surely means an alternative source to the 1978/1980 releases)

This has already been discussed and the answer is 'not necessarily'.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Sony, FTD (or anyone else for that matter) has had plenty of time to release the show in better sound but MRS are the ones that have done it. A beautifully packaged CD with improved sound quality for an excellent price - as others have said it's a no-brainer.
Maybe Sony or FTD will further improve on that in the future but for now.............

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:48 pm

What else do you get in this world for £12.00 ?

12 Lottery tickets (if you live in the U.K.)

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:57 am

Will definitely buy that one when it comes out, please notify us when it is indeed released!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

I noticed on One of my favorite Elvis web sites'
"Elvis Matters" http://elvismatters.com/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=5925
they have put together the audio samples' for the forth coming MRS cd on youtube.
(An easier way to listen to the sound samples.)
Good job guys, thanks for doing this. :wink:
phpBB [video]

By the way after listening to the MRS samples, if you compare them to earlier posts'
of the 61' concert posted on yourtube,
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

One can tell right away, there is a HUGE difference and that only poorer sound
was available up until this point, legit or other wise.
IMPROVED QUALITY by MRS of this concert is obvious in the sound samples posted
at the very top of this post.

How MRS did it. Personally I do not care. To me, its sounds like it is a "NEW" source,
but if its not, here again, I personally couldn't careless if it is or not.
( However, I will say, I do believe the MRS version is from a New Source, just the same)
The fact of the matter tho, the quality has been improved by MRS and its obviously
better than what was available before, an in my opinion that's really all that is going to
count at the end of the day, for most anyone.

This is going to be an Essential release for sure !
To pretend or deny otherwise, serves' No purpose.

PEP 8)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Oh, I believe the pretenders and the denyers have a purpose.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 pm

I,m not interested in peoples agendas either for or against this release, I,m an Elvis fan who likes to hear his music in the best possible quality available and this release serves that purpose, so i will be buying it.

Alan.
Last edited by Chad Gates on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Agree with PEP:
Drums & instruments more clear, dropouts seemed to have been corrected:
strange to see people redirecting the conversation to a "source" discussion.
It's all about soundquality and it has improved significantly.

Looks like a great package, well done.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Matthew wrote:And we wonder why the outside world think Elvis fans are nutters!

Yea...I'm wondering what on Earth is happening in this thread. So trivial :roll:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:22 pm

It's nice to finally hear a good audio sample, and to my ears, the M.R.S. release does sound more full, clearer and free of noise in comparison to what can be heard on the silver box. The packaging looks wonderful, but wasn't enough to sell me on this release sans appreciating how it actually sounds. I'll stand by my previous post in suggesting that the M.R.S.'s P.R. department offer a bit more information in their press releases in relation to the audio, the source of such and boasting their product's unique selling point in comparison to previous Sony or potential F.T.D. releases. I'm looking forward to purchasing this one, however.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:56 pm

PEP wrote:I personally could careless if it is or not.

Many of you have a habit of doing this and it needs to stop. This statement should read couldn't care less.

Using the word "could" changes the meaning entirely and contradicts anything you've previously said.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Rob wrote:

Many of you have a habit of doing this and it needs to stop. This statement should read couldn't care less.

Using the word "could" changes the meaning entirely and contradicts anything you've previously said.

Point taken Rob, it has been corrected. :wink:
PEP 8)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Amazing that no-one posted a thing on Sunday.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Rob wrote:

AT LAST !!!!

May God bless you, Rob !

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Not sure who’s gonna cast the stone first and which camp it will be “fired” from but... here’s an A-B comparison between the RCA/BMG version and the MRS one (a CD rip vs the web rip, to be exact):

http://uploading.com/files/9865maa3/Swi ... vsMRS.mp3/

PS. Remember not to shoot the messenger!

:smt071 :smt018
Last edited by hm80ep on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:11 pm

hm80ep wrote:Not sure who’s gonna throw the stone first and which camp it will be “fired” from but... here’s an A-B comparison between the RCA/BMG version and the MRS one (a CD rip vs the web rip, to be exact):

Are you comparing the RCA wav file to the Amazon mp3 sample?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hm80ep wrote:Not sure who’s gonna throw the stone first and which camp it will be “fired” from but... here’s an A-B comparison between the RCA/BMG version and the MRS one (a CD rip vs the web rip, to be exact):

Are you comparing the RCA wav file to the Amazon mp3 sample?

No. I'm comparing RCA mp3 file to amazon mp3 sample.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 pm

hm80ep wrote:No. I'm comparing RCA mp3 file to amazon mp3 sample.

The most valid comparison would be the RCA file in WAV format against the same for MRS.

Unfortunately, despite all the requests here, we don't have the MRS equivalent for scrutiny.