Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: worst and best albums titles ?

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 am

Image Image

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 am

The worst and most misleading subtitle was the `recorded live' on EP Blvd.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:47 am

elvis-fan wrote:Image Image

Oh, now, Brad....That one's not so bad.

It eventually grows on you.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:10 am

As an official title, I love "Elvis Is Back" because it was more than just a statement...it was a declaration that he wasn't just back from the army, but he was back and better than ever.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:10 am

rickeap wrote:The worst and most misleading subtitle was the `recorded live' on EP Blvd.

But the album was so damn good that it really doesn't matter.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 am

The Best Title has got to be the early 90's box set
[i]"The King Of Rock and Roll"[/i] :D :D :D

Burning Love

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 am

Us Elvis fans are a critical bunch. :D

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 am

midnightx wrote:
rickeap wrote:The worst and most misleading subtitle was the `recorded live' on EP Blvd.

It actually is one of my favorites just for the ending of Hurt.

I used to love Never Again because it was so painful.

Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain was classic 76 Elvis, but still a good song.

Danny Boy is a classic. Might have been more of a classic, if a 1960's Elvis had done it - but nevertheless . . .

The Last Farewell was one I always enjoyed, but it was one of those songs you wouldn't expect Elvis to sing.

For The Heart was one that many love as a Country Rock number, but there is something about it I don't like. It's no Way Down.

Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall was another favorite. I always liked to change the lyrics to "I told her, to leave me alone. That's what I'VE done. That's what SHE'S done."

Solitaire actually is one I think of like for the guitar rift at the beginning, and its a decent song - and it actually fits Elvis for 1976 - but really this album is really a downer. Even the upbeat For The Heart was a sad rock song.

Love Coming Down is where I'm getting sick of all the sad heartbreaking love songs.

I'll Never Fall In Love Again might have been a Tom Jones cover, and it might have been good acting skills - but dang he pours his heart out on this one. There is something even now that just lingers about the bitterness of his life. Maybe the MM is right and he wasn't bitter, but man something had to be wrong.

In other words, it was a decent album - albiet depressing.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:54 pm

worst: The Toledoan Baladeer

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Rob wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Image Image

Oh, now, Brad....That one's not so bad.

It eventually grows on you.

I meant to say I like that one , Rob!!!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:54 pm

some cdr titles..

the memphis mermaid
tally ho tahoe
hoodgie coo in houston..

:lol:

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Ciscoking wrote:some cdr titles..

the memphis mermaid
tally ho tahoe
hoodgie coo in houston..

:lol:

They don't count coz anyone can create a cd and call it anything. Elvis no1, Elvis no.2 etc, etc..........

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:54 am

AllanDenmark wrote: One of the worst official titles: Elvis Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 (RCA 1981)

I agree.

AllanDenmark wrote: Because it is NOT a collection of greatest hits and why call it "vol. 1"
I think it's funny (and tragic) to release a "greatest hits" album with unreleased songs on it. I mean, how can a song be named a great hit if it is previously unreleased??? :shock:

It was subtitled Volume One because obviously there was a 2nd volume planned, but of course it never came to fruition.
It didn't have unreleased "songs". It had unreleased versions that simply represented the original hit songs.
The worst part of the album was for RCA to insinuate that "The Sound Of Your Cry", "There Goes My Everything", and "You'll Never Walk Alone"
were really some of Elvis' greatest hits. "Great" in what way? Certainly not chart success!

Another worst - Old Times They Are Not Forgotten (supposed to be lyrics taken from "An American Trilogy"),
but the actual words are - Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten...

:smt114

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:12 am

FEIM could have had some serious work, that cost RCA money, done for the album art! A gatefold. Fresh new pictures of Elvis IN the city of Memphis. At American Sound, to be sure (and they had pictures!), and also send a "Wertheimer" fella around with him, and ask for a tour! Ask to see his high school, where he lived when growing up, favorite music spots, etc. etc. Lansky's! And for the cover, pick something dramatic. The title is ok, but doesn't necessarily tell you the mood of the songs. And it's a consistent mood. And a poster, too, of one of the "imagined" - by me, "candid shots in Memphis by great photographer."
Then, I would have called it "Memphis Dreams." But I was in like 4th grade or 3rd grade (it was released in summer) or something like that. So, they didn't ask me, and I wouldn't have known what to 'tell 'em. :wink:

See, the album is so much about broken dreams. In song after song. Dreams of long ago. Dreams presently dreamed. Dreams of a better world, but "his mama cried." You didn't have to get specific and say that: just let them listen, and they would know. A really dramatic shot, if they had brought Wertheimer back for real . . . he worked at Woodstock later that year. Someone of that order. Wow! Cover art to match the music, which everyone was trying to do at the time.

Oh well. It's ok. The music is so extraordinary, you can even ignore the amiable yellow sweater pic on the back. That album isn't about "amiable." It's tough stuff. (That sweater pic has ALWAYS annoyed me: later, in the 90s, I looked at it again, and said to myself: "they dressed him like one of the Menendez Boys. Sweet-boy-in-sweater. Arrgh!")

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:18 am

fg76 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

It actually is one of my favorites just for the ending of Hurt.

I used to love Never Again because it was so painful.

Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain was classic 76 Elvis, but still a good song.

Danny Boy is a classic. Might have been more of a classic, if a 1960's Elvis had done it - but nevertheless . . .

The Last Farewell was one I always enjoyed, but it was one of those songs you wouldn't expect Elvis to sing.

For The Heart was one that many love as a Country Rock number, but there is something about it I don't like. It's no Way Down.

Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall was another favorite. I always liked to change the lyrics to "I told her, to leave me alone. That's what I'VE done. That's what SHE'S done."

Solitaire actually is one I think of like for the guitar rift at the beginning, and its a decent song - and it actually fits Elvis for 1976 - but really this album is really a downer. Even the upbeat For The Heart was a sad rock song.

Love Coming Down is where I'm getting sick of all the sad heartbreaking love songs.

I'll Never Fall In Love Again might have been a Tom Jones cover, and it might have been good acting skills - but dang he pours his heart out on this one. There is something even now that just lingers about the bitterness of his life. Maybe the MM is right and he wasn't bitter, but man something had to be wrong.

In other words, it was a decent album - albiet depressing.

They should have just called that one "The Great Depression." Ever play it when you're really feeling sorry for yourself? I have.

rjm
P.S. -- Love "Danny Boy"!!

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:46 am

bad: El Goes El Paso
good: 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:26 pm

rjm wrote:The music is so extraordinary, you can even ignore the amiable yellow sweater pic on the back. That album isn't about "amiable." It's tough stuff. (That sweater pic has ALWAYS annoyed me: later, in the 90s, I looked at it again, and said to myself: "they dressed him like one of the Menendez Boys. Sweet-boy-in-sweater. Arrgh!")

The yellow sweater pic on the back was taken from the 1963 Viva Las Vegas photo shoot.

Yes, rjm, they could've done so much more with the FEIM album cover, but with the Colonel it was more cost efficient to just use photos from the past.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:51 am

Another naff album title is "polk salad Annie" (an FTD release featuring material from the "On stage" period - Feb. 1970)

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 am

rjm wrote:See, the album is so much about broken dreams.

You're pretty close to the truth here, rj.

The key song is 'Long Black Limousine' and the narrative of the whole LP revolves around it.

There's one helluva song cycle running through the twelve tracks ... just listen closely and you'll hear the journey of a man who had his love/dreams stolen from him and remained afraid to love/dream again.

Bearing in mind that the LP followed hot on the heels of the astonishing and soul-bearing declaration of 'If I Can Dream' just makes the album greater still.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Blue River wrote:
AllanDenmark wrote: One of the worst official titles: Elvis Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 (RCA 1981)

I agree.

AllanDenmark wrote: Because it is NOT a collection of greatest hits and why call it "vol. 1"
I think it's funny (and tragic) to release a "greatest hits" album with unreleased songs on it. I mean, how can a song be named a great hit if it is previously unreleased??? :shock:

It was subtitled Volume One because obviously there was a 2nd volume planned, but of course it never came to fruition.
It didn't have unreleased "songs". It had unreleased versions that simply represented the original hit songs.
The worst part of the album was for RCA to insinuate that "The Sound Of Your Cry", "There Goes My Everything", and "You'll Never Walk Alone"
were really some of Elvis' greatest hits. "Great" in what way? Certainly not chart success!
:smt114

I also meant to say "versions", not "songs", my mistake.
Otherwise I totally agree with you.
As for the "vol. 1" part: It's stupid to subtitle anything "vol. 1", if you do not release a "vol. 2" at the same time.
In the UK the album was named "The Sound Of Your Cry", and had some songs replaced, but with the same coverart. That is also a stupid title, but it's sure better than "Greatest Hits, Vol. 1" :D

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 pm

perhaps i'm being nit-picky here but................

it always bugged the hell out of me when RCA released an album and the front/back cover photo was a pic that was taken several years before.

wouldn't you guess that a fresh album would have contained a fresh new updated photo of the man on it?

The movie soundtrack albums were usually 50/50. i actually enjoyed the bonus songs more than the actual soundtrack songs. Perhaps RCA should have taken a different approach to these movie albums. Such as, put only the best movie songs on the album and have bonus studio non-movie songs as bonus tracks. They never should have wasted precious vinyl on crap like ITO EATS and the like.

But, that's just me, i guess.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:10 am

elvisbot wrote:... it always bugged the hell out of me when RCA released an album and the front/back cover photo was a pic that was taken several years before.

What's worse than that was BMG using a January 1973 Aloha picture of Elvis on disc 2 for the reissue of the 1971 boxed set
The Other Sides - Worldwide Gold Award Hits, Vol. 2 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Other-Sid ... 500wt_1156

Doing that made absolutely no sense at all. A 1973 Elvis didn't yet exist in 1971... duh!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Another stupid title were the bootleg cd's "Top acts in Vegas". Who were the other 'acts' they were referring to?!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Tony.. wrote:Another stupid title were the bootleg cd's "Top acts in Vegas". Who were the other 'acts' they were referring to?!

Top Acts..refers to the performances and not the performers..therefore..good title for those 7 volumes..

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Wasn't it a play on "Dusty in Memphis," recorded at the same studios?

rjm wrote:FEIM could have had some serious work, that cost RCA money, done for the album art! A gatefold. Fresh new pictures of Elvis IN the city of Memphis. At American Sound, to be sure (and they had pictures!), and also send a "Wertheimer" fella around with him, and ask for a tour! Ask to see his high school, where he lived when growing up, favorite music spots, etc. etc. Lansky's! And for the cover, pick something dramatic. The title is ok, but doesn't necessarily tell you the mood of the songs. And it's a consistent mood. And a poster, too, of one of the "imagined" - by me, "candid shots in Memphis by great photographer."
Then, I would have called it "Memphis Dreams." But I was in like 4th grade or 3rd grade (it was released in summer) or something like that. So, they didn't ask me, and I wouldn't have known what to 'tell 'em. :wink:

See, the album is so much about broken dreams. In song after song. Dreams of long ago. Dreams presently dreamed. Dreams of a better world, but "his mama cried." You didn't have to get specific and say that: just let them listen, and they would know. A really dramatic shot, if they had brought Wertheimer back for real . . . he worked at Woodstock later that year. Someone of that order. Wow! Cover art to match the music, which everyone was trying to do at the time.

Oh well. It's ok. The music is so extraordinary, you can even ignore the amiable yellow sweater pic on the back. That album isn't about "amiable." It's tough stuff. (That sweater pic has ALWAYS annoyed me: later, in the 90s, I looked at it again, and said to myself: "they dressed him like one of the Menendez Boys. Sweet-boy-in-sweater. Arrgh!")

rjm