Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:00 am

Consider this example:

Tomorrow I will self-publish a book that includes this photo and caption:

Image

Elvis leaving Graceland for his last show in Indianapolis, Sunday, June 26, 1977


That will be documentation for all of us to mull over about June 26, right?

Wrong.

Like the book example on page 1, it flies in the face of all the known facts.

A capable researcher is thus compelled to disregard the image, caption and author.

Hope this helps.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:08 am

I understand your point, delivered with a typical barb that you are a capable researcher and everyone else is not. As I said, I have also always understood this photo to be from August but there is written documentation presented from someone who was there who says it was from June. If I am not in a position to 100% know otherwise, I don't rudely disregard other's options, claims or statements just because they don't gel with mine. The claim in the book may or may not be right but it is documented evidence that it is June 17.
As for the other photo, January 3, 1977 at Harrison Arkansas.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 am

If you understood my point the rest of your reply would not have been written at all.

You continue to mischaracterize my words and intentions, but thankfully few here heed your comments.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

Phoenix78 wrote:there's also a photo that exists from the opposite angle where Ed Parker would be sitting.

I suppose you mean this photo? Was Ed Parker there in Memphis between tours in August?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Interesting photo The Fool, and thanks for the input.
I'm starting to reconsider my original thought about this being August.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm

In the spirit of an open mind, I borrowed this quote from a newspaper review from Fransesc's excellent site:

Before deadline pressures and a late start for the Elvis segment of the show drove this writer to his typewriter in mid.show, Elvis performed several standards and acquitted himself admirably with them.


So, the reviewer does make specific mention of Elvis' portion of the show starting late, but doesn't say just how late. It does at least raise the possibility of him leaving Memphis later than planned...

Now, other questions.

If they all went to Springfield, in those clothes, who drove the car / lisa back? Interestingly, in Careless Love, it says Ginger didn't start the tour with Elvis, as she wanted to watch her sister hand over her Miss Tennessee crown, or something like that. I guess she, and Jo Smith could have taken the car back, and given Lisa a ride home?

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 pm

That last photo seems to add to the June side of the ledger. There were likely one or two other cars involved, carrying Joe, Sam, Ricky, David and Larry. Perhaps they were already at the airport, waiting for Elvis.

The fact that there is no documentation of Lisa's visit doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:13 am

The fool wrote:Was Ed Parker there in Memphis between tours in August?


That's a good question

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:33 am

These photos are in darkness.

(1) In Memphis on Friday, June 17, 1977, the sun set at 8:17 PM.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=409&month=6&year=1977&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

(2) A flight from Memphis to Springfield (~ 300 miles) would presumably take at least 60 minutes:
Google Maps.

(3) Getting Elvis from plane to stage would be anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.

If the images are from June 17, they must have really been hauling ass out of Graceland.

They sure look that way, eh?

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Consider this example:

Tomorrow I will self-publish a book that includes this photo and caption:

Image

Elvis leaving Graceland for his last show in Indianapolis, Sunday, June 26, 1977


That will be documentation for all of us to mull over about June 26, right?

Wrong.

Like the book example on page 1, it flies in the face of all the known facts.

A capable researcher is thus compelled to disregard the image, caption and author.

Hope this helps.


Doc, we all know this was taken just after the July pool side interview!

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 am

So there's no decision on this date?
The presence of Lisa casts doubt on it being June 17, but alternatively the presence of Ed in the photo from the other angle casts doubt on it being August.
I guess the only written evidence is that it is June 17.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 pm

According to the excellent book "hurry home Elvis" volume 3,
Lisa did indeed visit her father for a few days in june!
Elvis aunt Delta and tommy? flew out to take Lisa back to L.A on the 19 june.
Lisa returned for a short visit on the 4/5 of july returned home on the 12/13 of july. Lisa returned for her final visit around 7.30pm on the 31st of july

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 pm

cliveatdell wrote:According to the excellent book "hurry home Elvis" volume 3,
Lisa did indeed visit her father for a few days in june!
Elvis aunt Delta and tommy? flew out to take Lisa back to L.A on the 19 june.
Lisa returned for her final visit 4/5 of july.

Now THIS could be credible information.

Can you scan the relevant pages from the Donna Lewis book?

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:15 am

cliveatdell wrote:According to the excellent book "hurry home Elvis" volume 3,
Lisa did indeed visit her father for a few days in june!
Elvis aunt Delta and tommy? flew out to take Lisa back to L.A on the 19 june.
Lisa returned for a short visit on the 4/5 of july returned home on the 12/13 of july. Lisa returned for her final visit around 7.30pm on the 31st of july


That'd be Tommy Hensley, who was married to Tish, the nurse that was living on property at the time.

I think we have a winner, folks. June.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:30 am

elvisjock wrote:
cliveatdell wrote:According to the excellent book "hurry home Elvis" volume 3,
Lisa did indeed visit her father for a few days in june!
Elvis aunt Delta and tommy? flew out to take Lisa back to L.A on the 19 june.
Lisa returned for a short visit on the 4/5 of july returned home on the 12/13 of july. Lisa returned for her final visit around 7.30pm on the 31st of july


That'd be Tommy Hensley, who was married to Tish, the nurse that was living on property at the time.

I think we have a winner, folks. June.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 am

I need to get that book. I have the first two volumes.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 am

Could not scan pages , scanner problems!
Diary entry for the 11th june 1977.
Ginger brought lisa in.!
Diary entry for the 17th june 1977
Mr Lewis saw Elvis leave to go on tour.
Ginger was not leaving for the start of the tour.
Ginger's mother drove the Cadillac Sevlle up to Graceland and was showing
Mr Lewis where someone had shot!!! the window out.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:09 am

It is clearly tending towards being a June photo.
I hope all capable researchers will not close their minds on such issues in the future and declare that written documentation should be disregarded just because it doesn't gel with their opinion.
Lucky I keep my mind open about it and don't have to be embarrassed either way.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:12 am

Well folks, based on what we now have, I'd say it is June 17, 1977 8)

Changes made to the link - http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... l0877.html

From the Elvis In Concert web site - http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press243.htm
CONCERT DATE: June 17 1977 (8:30 pm). Springfield MO.
Elvis Doesn't Need That IT anymore
by Bill Tatum
Springfield News-Leader
June 18, 1977
We're tempted to fall back on cliches and tell you that Elvis Presley still has IT. It, of course, is that magical touch with an audience, that style or talent to captivate the masses. The truth is that he doesn't need IT anymore. The audience brings its own IT and serves it up to the King of Rock'n'Roll on a silver platter at a lifting of a diamond-studded pinky.

Presley can still sing, make no mistake. His way with a real rock'n'roller can make a middle-aged listener young again, but he's packaged - managed and merchandised to the nth degree - and fabulously wealthy for it.

Last night in the Hammons Center on the Southwest Missouri State University campus, the capacity audience was ready for him in any condition this side of mute. They were ready for him with high-decible screams and red roses to toss on stage.

He doesn't need to pump his pelvis anymore - hasn't for years. Elvis can get more mileage out of a tiptoe point lift of the knee than most performers could milk from a striptease. He spent the first 15 minutes of his portion of the show teasing and toying with the audience, especially the vocal female segment, coaxing even more hysteria from the crowd with toned-down gyrations and only slightly suggestive body English.

Before deadline pressures and a late start for the Elvis segment of the show drove this writer to his typewriter in mid.show, Elvis performed several standards and acquitted himself admirably with them.

Dropping into his stage conversation the fact that he's healthy and not to believe everything you hear about him, Elvis showed his voice was in good shape with Now Or Never, Jailhouse Rock, Love Me Do, and And I Love Her So.

Scattering purple scarves around the stage to the beseeching arms that reached out to him, Elvis could see women from 15 to 45 clamouring to get close to him. The show geared to satisfy that wide age range, as well as other audience diversities. There were standards for the older crowd (i.e. over 30 years of age) and Elvis renditions of the newer songs for the teens and 20s in the crowd.

The pre-Elvis warm-up is a masterpiece of across-the-board entertaining. The Stamps Quartet and their revival rock'n'roll contrasted with the soul and sass of the Sweet Inspirations. The appeal to the young in the audience was balanced off by the generation gap humour of Canadian comedian Jack Culhane. And the costuming even ranged from Las Vegas flash on the Stamps singers to absurdity in the comedian's Mickey Mouse bedecked overalls.

The Sweet Inspirations, a mighty sassy group of three young women, who have a real touch with a tune, were even costumed to cross the taste range from Sak's to Fredrick's of Hollywood, via thrift shop funk in lace. The entire show was a package calculated to please everybody with something it had to offer.

Courtesy of Scott Hayward
Last edited by paulsweeney on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:44 am

donjon wrote:is it true documents?

Yes, it would be nice to see the pages for ourselves.

However, if not for Clive's comments, we would not have the credible evidence of Donna Lewis' diary observations.

In any event, those making any conclusion prior to the introduction of this reliable information were exercising very poor deductive skills. Sadly, there is nothing that can be done for such small-minded people.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
donjon wrote:is it true documents?

Yes, it would be nice to see the pages for ourselves.

However, if not for Clive's comments, we would not have the credible evidence of Donna Lewis' diary observations.

In any event, those making any conclusion prior to the introduction of this reliable information were exercising very poor deductive skills. Sadly, there is nothing that can be done for such small-minded people.



Isn't it lucky I didn't make the wrong conclusion and post something like this:


Facts:
(1) There is no documentation to indicate Lisa visiting Memphis in mid-June, leaving, and returning in late July.
(2) All reports in the past 34 years have consistently stated her visit was for two weeks, beginning in late July.

The people in the car:
Front: Dick Grob, Jo Smith, Billy Smith
Back: Ginger Alden, Lisa Presley, Elvis Presley

This is a night out with family, either to Libertyland, the movies, or Mrs. Alden's house.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:34 pm

rickeap wrote:The people in the car:
Front: Dick Grob, Jo Smith, Billy Smith
Back: Ginger Alden, Lisa Presley, Elvis Presley

This is a night out with family, either to Libertyland, the movies, or Mrs. Alden's house.
from left to right, standing in front of the car.
frontseat: billy smith, jo smith, dick grob.
backseat: elvis, ginger alden & lisa marie (on ginger´s lap), ed parker.
(as proven by the photo from the other side, posted by "the fool").

- 7 people in the car and no one fastened seat belts ... -

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:14 pm

There is no question in my mind that the photo is from June 17, 1977.

Here is one of three photos taken by Betty Steele of Newport Beach, Va. showing Lisa Marie on June 17, 1977 at Graceland so she WAS at Graceland prior to Elvis leaving for his last tour. She most likely went back to Graceland with Jo Smith.
770617-Graceland-01-Betty Steele-bripet56.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:46 pm

She most likely went back to Graceland with Jo Smith.


And Ginger, who apparently didn't make the trip to Springfield to start the tour with Elvis.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
She most likely went back to Graceland with Jo Smith.


And Ginger, who apparently didn't make the trip to Springfield to start the tour with Elvis.


Yeah you´re right, I happened to answer before I had read all the posts.

Sincerely
Brian
bripet56@yahoo.dk