Post here your Elvis' pictures

Memphis, June 17th 1977

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm

I just found the right date for this familiar photo in Paul´s Candid Central:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/egl0877.html

It was taken on June 17th, 1977 at about 8 pm. And Elvis had to be on stage in Springfield in less than two hours. The photo was taken by Myra Knott. In the book Elvis Now - Ours Forever (edited by Bob Olmetti and Sue McCasland, 1984), Myra tells how she got to take the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Ok, that's interesting! If true, then we have a photo of Elvis leaving Graceland for his last tour, and a photo of him about to go on stage in Springfield a couple of hours later:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/061777start.html
But - isn't it strange that Lisa is in the car if the photo is indeed from June 17?

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 am

Billy seems to be wearing a different shirt in the second photo. Lisa was not with Elvis (to our knowledge) on the last tour. I think the photo was mislabeled in the book.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 am

I think Paul has it labelled correctly as August

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:13 am

There´s also this other photo dated the same, June 17th. So, is this wrong as well?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:42 am

Interesting that the photos are so similar. One is clearly shot at the Music Gate. The other could be the airport, but seems more likely to have been taken right after the first, as the car exited Graceland. The writing on the back wasn't necessarily applied by the photographer. It could be incorrect.

Elvis' hair is fixed nicely, suggesting he was on his way to the gig. Who knows? Maybe Lisa was with him, at least for the start of the tour.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 am

elvisjock wrote:Maybe Lisa was with him, at least for the start of the tour.

Or maybe Lisa came back to Graceland from the airport with somebody?

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:53 am

The fool wrote:I just found the right date for this familiar photo in Paul´s Candid Central:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/egl0877.html

It was taken on June 17th, 1977 at about 8 pm. And Elvis had to be on stage in Springfield in less than two hours. The photo was taken by Myra Knott. In the book Elvis Now - Ours Forever (edited by Bob Olmetti and Sue McCasland, 1984), Myra tells how she got to take the photo.


Hmm, interesting...let me ponder this for a day or so

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:56 am

Lisa is not known to have seen her dad until she came from California for a two-week visit at the end of July. So the photos have to be in a two-week window between, say, July 30 and August 14, 1977.

Maybe the photos are from Saturday, August 6, when they all went to visit Ginger's mom. Or two days later, when they went to Libertyland. Elvis would have spiffed up his appearance for both of these events, especially the trip to Mrs. Alden's house.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:05 am

Read below and let me know what you think folks - thanks Fool for the pages;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:21 am

Hard to argue with that account. He looks pretty good, too, especially in light of how bloated he would be in Kansas City and Omaha.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:36 am

Interesting one this. So Lisa was at Graceland from June to August? Don't American kids have schools to go to? It's difficult to argue with her account but it doesn't explain what Lisa was doing there.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am

Interesting info, thanks Paul

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 am

What is the date range of a typical US school summer holiday period?
Its conceivable Lisa stayed at Graceland at the start of the hols, returned to LA for the duration of the tour (and spend time with the other side of the family) then came back to Memphis.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Delboy wrote:Don't American kids have schools to go to?


Not between June and August. That is the summer break period for American schools. But either way, if Elvis wanted Lisa with him, I'm sure school would not have been the highest priority.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I would be willing to bet it wasn't taken on June 17th '77! There is no way he would of got to Springfield on time! Why would Billy Smith even bother to change clothes in such a very short time span!

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Bearing in mind it's allegedly June in Memphis, and he has to be on stage 2 hours away in Springfield. Even if they were leaving at 8pm, wouldn't it still be light outside, it being summer? These photos look like they're taken in the dark.

As Doc has rightly pointed out, Lisa wasn't around for the June tour, visiting with her dad a few weeks later.

I'd bet this is the night they went to Livertyland - a typical nocturnal activity for Elvis, and Lisa on holidays would have been allowed to stay up late.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Bearing in mind it's allegedly June in Memphis, and he has to be on stage 2 hours away in Springfield. Even if they were leaving at 8pm, wouldn't it still be light outside, it being summer? These photos look like they're taken in the dark.

As Doc has rightly pointed out, Lisa wasn't around for the June tour, visiting with her dad a few weeks later.

I'd bet this is the night they went to Livertyland - a typical nocturnal activity for Elvis, and Lisa on holidays would have been allowed to stay up late.

good detective-work!
what do you make of the eye-witness-report - false memory?

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Bearing in mind it's allegedly June in Memphis, and he has to be on stage 2 hours away in Springfield. Even if they were leaving at 8pm, wouldn't it still be light outside, it being summer? These photos look like they're taken in the dark.

As Doc has rightly pointed out, Lisa wasn't around for the June tour, visiting with her dad a few weeks later.

I'd bet this is the night they went to Livertyland - a typical nocturnal activity for Elvis, and Lisa on holidays would have been allowed to stay up late.


I would have to agree with you on this

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 am

In Memphis, Lisa was ALWAYS "allowed" to stay up late. Elvis wasn't much for rules.

rjm

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:34 am

Haven't any of you {over there} heard "Summertime Blues"?

rjm

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:16 am

Interesting...kinda caught me off guard! Now on one hand it could be quite possible that Lisa was there & just went with him to the airport & came back. Elvis does look like he's had his hair done. And that photo of him entering the arena about to step on stage shows that Billy is wearing a similar shirt (bluish-grey), that security guard (i forget his name) is wearing the same shirt & there's also a photo that exists from the opposite angle where Ed Parker would be sitting. Unfortunately it's kinda blurry. He looks like he's wearing a dark shirt, where in the "entrance" pic he's wearing a multi colored shirt.

Who knows! Interesting topic guys.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:05 am

Phoenix78 wrote:Interesting...kinda caught me off guard! Now on one hand it could be quite possible that Lisa was there & just went with him to the airport & came back. Elvis does look like he's had his hair done. And that photo of him entering the arena about to step on stage shows that Billy is wearing a similar shirt (bluish-grey), that security guard (i forget his name) is wearing the same shirt & there's also a photo that exists from the opposite angle where Ed Parker would be sitting. Unfortunately it's kinda blurry. He looks like he's wearing a dark shirt, where in the "entrance" pic he's wearing a multi colored shirt.

Who knows! Interesting topic guys.


Good eye, Billy's shirt looks similar (may be the same, just lighting), and Dick Grob does have the same shirt on as Elvis is ready to hit the stage - May very well be June 17th in the second link...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... start.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... l0877.html

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 am

Facts:
(1) There is no documentation to indicate Lisa visiting Memphis in mid-June, leaving, and returning in late July.
(2) All reports in the past 34 years have consistently stated her visit was for two weeks, beginning in late July.

The people in the car:
Front: Dick Grob, Jo Smith, Billy Smith
Back: Ginger Alden, Lisa Presley, Elvis Presley

This is a night out with family, either to Libertyland, the movies, or Mrs. Alden's house.

Re: Memphis, June 17th 1977

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:37 am

Actually there is documentation that Lisa was there on June 17 - the scans are right above in this topic where the author says she saw and photographed Lisa leaving Graceland on the 17th.
Whether it is accurate is open to debate but it does document her being there on the 17th.
For what it's worth, I have always understood this photo to be from August and likewise understood Lisa was at Graceland at that time, not June, but this information might mean we need to reonsider.