Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Perhaps people should wait until some actual real confirmed information is provided before jumping to battle stations. All I'm reading here are a stack of assumptions and angry responses to those assumptions.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:43 pm

ritchie valens wrote:re-do gh too with the unedited masters from acetate sources we yet to have on a offical released cd.
vlv with the takes only availble on the lp.plus the remaining takes not used before.

+1

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:54 pm

bajo wrote:An idea, if one wants to pick up updated sound for some of the soundtracks may be to pick up the recent SONY releases. Unfortunatelyl the F&J release contain the same, poor mix as the original album.
I picked up G.I. Blues, Girls Girls Girls, Fun In Acapulco, Viva Las Vegas, Roustabout, Girl Happy and F&J. For some weird reason I dropped Clambake. Maybe I'll get it just to compare to the FTD??? 8)
Point is: These soundtracks sound great, and the price is right! :)

Yeah I love those soundtracks....I don't think they will ever release the remaining soundtrack...sadly enough...

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Matthew wrote:Perhaps people should wait until some actual real confirmed information is provided before jumping to battle stations. All I'm reading here are a stack of assumptions and angry responses to those assumptions.

Yeah, it seems only the book will be corrected.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Is the revamped sound of Girl Happy, Frankie and Johnny and Harum Scarum on the complete masters set, I would guess not ???

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Matthew wrote:Perhaps people should wait until some actual real confirmed information is provided before jumping to battle stations. All I'm reading here are a stack of assumptions and angry responses to those assumptions.

Good post. You and memphissessions speak with reason.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 pm

As mentioned above, nothing is confirmed (by any credible source or website) that any of the mentioned soundtracks will be re-released by FTD. Until such confirmation, I think people just need to relax.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Elvis Australia wrote:FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released when FTD 'have made the neccessary corrections'.

This will be 'probably in September/October'. More info when we have it.

Source ????

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 pm

The problems with F&J as well as Harem have to do with the 2 track mix downs which were used for the original LP masters. When you go back to the 3 track masters (as they did with some songs on the "Double Feature" releases) the quality is greatly improved. The muddy, compressed sound of the 2 tracks is gone.

Listen to the outtakes for an idea of how well the sessions CAN sound.

The exceptions would be the songs where his vocal was over-dubbed. Those suffer from a lot of hiss and in the case of "What Every Woman Lives For" you've got two layers of hiss from the overdub AND the repaired vocal part.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:38 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The problems with F&J as well as Harem have to do with the 2 track mix downs which were used for the original LP masters. When you go back to the 3 track masters (as they did with some songs on the "Double Feature" releases) the quality is greatly improved. The muddy, compressed sound of the 2 tracks is gone.

The exceptions would be the songs where his vocal was over-dubbed. Those suffer from a lot of hiss and in the case of "What Every Woman Lives For" you've got two layers of hiss from the overdub AND the repaired vocal part.

They would do good to go back to the original 3 track masters and re-mix the sound and abandon the sound as originally released when Elvis was alive as we have already had these from Vic.....now give us something updated and different wherever and whenever possible. The double features mixes (of F&J & Harum) are far better than the originals but there is a bit too much reverb added to others (Roustabout, Viva Las Vegas). Also I would like the Added movie version of F & J that was supposed to have been on the set but was changed. To be honest if these sets are to be redone they should have a second and third dise added when the material is present to jusify us diehards in purchasing them again.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:45 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The problems with F&J as well as Harem have to do with the 2 track mix downs which were used for the original LP masters. When you go back to the 3 track masters (as they did with some songs on the "Double Feature" releases) the quality is greatly improved. The muddy, compressed sound of the 2 tracks is gone.

They would do good to go back to the original 3 track masters and re-mix the sound and abandon the sound as originally released when Elvis was alive as we have already had these from Vic.....now give us something updated and different wherever and whenever possible. The double features mixes (of F&J & Harum) are far better than the originals but there is a bit too much reverb added to others (Roustabout, Viva Las Vegas). Also I would like the Added movie version of F & J that was supposed to have been on the set but was changed. To be honest if these sets are to be redone they should have a second and third dise added when the material is present to jusify us diehards in purchasing them again.

I'm quite happy with the mixes used in the DF series.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:54 am

I've done that before and you always justify everything and go into total denial mode.

Even if the evidence stares you in the face you can't accept it.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:58 am

I won't be obtaining this "reissue." The current version, with any flaws it may have, is good enough for me. We are talking about the "Frankie And Johnny" soundtrack, not "Loving You."

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released when FTD 'have made the neccessary corrections'.

This will be 'probably in September/October'. More info when we have it.

Source ????

Source and Scans to prove your right please !!!!

Some wacker from cambridge "actually" made one significant comment and i am going to adopt it as a motto around here from now on :smt003
Last edited by Robt on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:03 am

midnightx wrote:I won't be obtaining this "reissue." The current version, with any flaws it may have, is good enough for me. We are talking about the "Frankie And Johnny" soundtrack, not "Loving You."

LOL my friend does that mean you will be buying another "Loving You" soundtrack when it comes out on FTD :mrgreen:

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:41 am

ekenee wrote:

I've done that before and you always justify everything and go into total denial mode.

Even if the evidence stares you in the face you can't accept it.

You sir are a friggin' liar.

There is no evidence staring anyone in the face yet. There's nothing to "justify" here as besides the original post saying this is to be re-issued no credible sources have been cited offering any details as to what will be different about the re-issue vs. the original. Therefore all current complaints are meaningless, pointless, and without merit.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 am

What improvements could be made over the recent sony F&J release? Unless they are remixing from the masters.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:57 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Deke Rivers II wrote:

I'm quite happy with the mixes used in the DF series.

+1

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Exactly.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Robt wrote:
midnightx wrote:I won't be obtaining this "reissue." The current version, with any flaws it may have, is good enough for me. We are talking about the "Frankie And Johnny" soundtrack, not "Loving You."

LOL my friend does that mean you will be buying another "Loving You" soundtrack when it comes out on FTD :mrgreen:

Do you think FTD can improve on Loving You? I don't. Unless a treasure trove of additional outtakes surface, the 2006 reissue remains of the most enjoyable "deluxe" soundtracks available.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 pm

midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:

Do you think FTD can improve on Loving You? I don't. Unless a treasure trove of additional outtakes surface, the 2006 reissue remains of the most enjoyable "deluxe" soundtracks available.

If a treasure trove of unreleased outtakes surfaces I hope Ernst releases a volume 2, just like he did with

Jailhouse rock, still my favorite soundtrack.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:38 pm

The mix on the DF series is superb, the mastering is obsolete.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:56 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:The mix on the DF series is superb, the mastering is obsolete.

Agreed

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Mike C wrote:I assume the corrections relate to the LP masters, since they have always sounded muddy and poorer than the other soundtracks cut at Radio Recorders.

TONY. wrote:Will they replace the expensive 'incorrect' first version or do they expect us all to purchase this again? And what was wrong with it anyway???!!

chevyford wrote:Good ol' Ernst is just trying to get us to double dip into our wallets again.

londonflash wrote:I'd like to know exactly why this title is being reissued before commenting further.

Ernst has stated on more than one occasion that if and when they find better sources, they will get them out to the fans as quickly as possible.

If this is a legit report, FTD will be reissuing Frankie and Johnny using an upgraded source.

This is exactly the case in the example of 2009's Girl Happy. In the six years since FTD released the soundtrack in 2003 a new tape source was found, so they reissued the set. They also corrected "You'll Be Gone," which had accidentally included an alternate take (4) instead of the master take (3).

It's not about ripping anyone off.

FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:I assume the corrections relate to the LP masters, since they have always sounded muddy and poorer than the other soundtracks cut at Radio Recorders.

TONY. wrote:Will they replace the expensive 'incorrect' first version or do they expect us all to purchase this again? And what was wrong with it anyway???!!

chevyford wrote:Good ol' Ernst is just trying to get us to double dip into our wallets again.

londonflash wrote:I'd like to know exactly why this title is being reissued before commenting further.

Ernst has stated on more than one occasion that if and when they find better sources, they will get them out to the fans as quickly as possible.

If this is a legit report, FTD will be reissuing Frankie and Johnny using an upgraded source.

This is exactly the case in the example of 2009's Girl Happy. In the six years since FTD released the soundtrack in 2003 a new tape source was found, so they reissued the set. They also corrected "You'll Be Gone," which had accidentally included an alternate take (4) instead of the master take (3).

It's not about ripping anyone off.

You're as right as you can be. Making those new sources available to the fans is great! If they're just using the masters used on the complete box you can always buy for some $5 the cheap frankie and johnny soundtrack (like with girl happy) released by Sony some time ago. But if a fan never bought the FTd edition for whatever reason he now can have it all (new masters and old outtakes) on the FTd edition