Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:16 pm

FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released when FTD 'have made the neccessary corrections'.

This will be 'probably in September/October'. More info when we have it.

Re: FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Good. And while they're at it they could make the proper corrections on Follow That Dream and Harum Scarum to name just a couple more.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

JerryNodak wrote:Good. And while they're at it they could make the proper corrections on Follow That Dream and Harum Scarum to name just a couple more.

Great, I hope they include the extended intro on the song beginnerĀ“s Luck :roll: as in the Double Features cd release, and at the same time expand Viva Las Vegas and Fun In Acapulco to a 2cd package :smt007. They deserved it as two of the best sixties soundtracks 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I love the F&J movie. Love the homour, set music scenes and its different from the other movie vehicle storylines. One of my fav Elvis movies. Underatted in my opinion ;)

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 pm

I assume the corrections relate to the LP masters, since they have always sounded muddy and poorer than the other soundtracks cut at Radio Recorders.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Elvis Australia wrote:FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released when FTD 'have made the neccessary corrections'.

Will they replace the expensive 'incorrect' first version or do they expect us all to purchase this again? And what was wrong with it anyway???!!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

TONY. wrote:
Elvis Australia wrote:FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released when FTD 'have made the neccessary corrections'.

Will they replace the expensive 'incorrect' first version or do they expect us all to purchase this again? And what was wrong with it anyway???!!

Good ol' Ernst is just trying to get us to double dip into our wallets again.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Good news to me! Hope they will do the same with Harum Scarum. Both of these were much better mixed on their DF releases. So, I hope they upgrade those mixes. And I agree on the Follow That Dream FTD also!
Regarding the movie, Frankie And Johnny, I must admit I liked it much more now than I did before. :)
I wonder if we will ever receive FTD treatment for Roustabout, Kissin' Cousins and Speedway in the near future? Not least G I Blues!
Most of all I'm really looking forward to Promised Land now!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

bajo wrote:Most of all I'm really looking forward to Promised Land now!

I wonder if promiseland is looking forward to Promise Land ?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Just make a CD-r using the remixed masters as found on Double Features and the outtakes from the FTD.

Didn't FTD intentionally use the poorer sounding original masters on this disc to be historically accurate?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:06 pm

londonflash!
I did just that with both F&J and HS. The result is great! I even did some "corrections" to Follow That Dream.
I may well be that Ernst choose to use the original masters to be "historically" correct. But, I don't think many would have minded if he had used the DF mixes instead!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Why is he even wasting an ounce of time on this soundtrack anyway, while he could be working on

the Sun book and cd set? He re-issued "girl happy" and it still wasn't done right.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:58 pm

FTD's soundtrack releases rarely pique my interests, simply because I am not a fan of the material at large; however, I was under the impression that such was being catared to in a way that far exceeded the quality and worth of several mid-sixties albums hardly cut out for true classic status. I'm just glad that I'm not an avid fan of this material, because I would be concerned that a policy may be in place to re-release albums thought-to-have-been given the last word on FTD.

Unfortunately, quality-control occassional goes awry on the FTD label, and that's harmful to the brand -- especially when one considers the reasons why this label was established in the first place. As fans, we pay our money and make our choice, but, for all intents-and-purposes, the FTD label is ours and its existence relies solely on the commitment and contentment of regular buyers. I'm not suggesting that spurious tactics are abound, not do I expect absolute perfection on every release, and occassional re-placement/issue of tracks/takes I can tolerate if the ultimate release in question is truly the last word on an album . . .

Point of further interest being, will FTD again turn to Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis and Stage Rehearsal due to issues en masse regarding the aforementioned's edits and added reverb, and the latter's edits and splices? Don't get me wrong, I can see a modicum of rationale in reissuing material thought-to-be sounding under par or suffering from audio issues, whilst the splicing of source material occassionally works when in relation to painting a bigger picture -- but not at the expense of finer details, as one faux pas can be accepted as such; but numerous mistakes and cack-handedness is inexcusable, i.e. why was Frankie and Johnny released in the first place?!

FTD in many ways is a god-send for fans, and for every release that's questionable in content or simply banal, there's an exciting, fresh and interesting offering that can leave us truly wanting more from the label. And I certainly do want more from FTD -- but with their rate of releases and costly projects currently abound in the Elvis world, asking fans to double-dip isn't doing anyone any favours. Perhaps Ernst and Co. should pay heed to the parable about the scorpion and the frog . . .

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:40 pm

what exactly is wrong with the cd anyway, other then the less then stellar sound quality?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:55 pm

bajo wrote:londonflash!
I did just that with both F&J and HS. The result is great! I even did some "corrections" to Follow That Dream.
I may well be that Ernst choose to use the original masters to be "historically" correct. But, I don't think many would have minded if he had used the DF mixes instead!

I agree. I don't think many would have quibbled with Ernst using the better sounding versions.

I'd like to know exactly why this title is being reissued before commenting further.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 am

With Girl Happy, they ran out of stock. They wanted to keep it in print and needed to re-press. They decided to replace masters with up-to-date sound.

How in the world can anyone complain about such a thing?

The better masters are out there on other releases; you don't HAVE to buy the redone version. But if there's a chance to re-press with improved sound, why not?

It kills me that when they re-press without updating (see the recent box releases) without updating, people complain bitterly. And when they do update, people complain just the same.

Truly, you cannot win.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 am

ekenee wrote:Why is he even wasting an ounce of time on this soundtrack anyway, while he could be working on the Sun book/cd set?

That does sort of give us an idea why the Sun set isn't ready, yet.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 am

elvissessions wrote:With Girl Happy, they ran out of stock. They wanted to keep it in print and needed to re-press. They decided to replace masters with up-to-date sound.

How in the world can anyone complain about such a thing?

The better masters are out there on other releases; you don't HAVE to buy the redone version. But if there's a chance to re-press with improved sound, why not?

It kills me that when they re-press without updating (see the recent box releases) without updating, people complain bitterly. And when they do update, people complain just the same.

Truly, you cannot win.

You miss the key point I made and that was, if they are going to "re-do" an album, don't do a half-ass job on it,
do it much better.

The bottomline is, is redoing the F & J soundtrack really a priority?

Is it that essential that time away from editing the Sun project needs to be taken?

Seriously, can't it wait? We have waited longer for the Sun set.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 am

not buying this again... good to know they keep trying to polish this turd

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:48 am

re-do gh too with the unedited masters from acetate sources we yet to have on a offical released cd.
vlv with the takes only availble on the lp.plus the remaining takes not used before.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:55 am

also let somebody else remaster it not rene.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:07 am

An idea, if one wants to pick up updated sound for some of the soundtracks may be to pick up the recent SONY releases. Unfortunatelyl the F&J release contain the same, poor mix as the original album.
I picked up G.I. Blues, Girls Girls Girls, Fun In Acapulco, Viva Las Vegas, Roustabout, Girl Happy and F&J. For some weird reason I dropped Clambake. Maybe I'll get it just to compare to the FTD??? 8)
Point is: These soundtracks sound great, and the price is right! :)

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 am

The cover of my "Frankie & Johnny" FTD has been a bit messed-up ever since I got it in the post. If the sound is better on this new version, I will buy it again. But I would rather see "Kid Galahad" and "Follow That Dream" with better sound. Those were GREAT soundtracks! But especially "Kid Galahad" sounds very thin on the FTD version.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

I have read elsewhere that the only difference is in the booklet. The album went out of stock, and FTD have taken the opportunity to correct some mistakes at the same time as it is being re-pressed. I don't know what the mistakes are, but it seems that the CD itself is going to be unchanged. This news came via somebody who sells the discs, so I would imagine there is a fair chance the information will be correct.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:23 pm

greystoke wrote:FTD's soundtrack releases rarely pique my interests, simply because I am not a fan of the material at large; however, I was under the impression that such was being catared to in a way that far exceeded the quality and worth of several mid-sixties albums hardly cut out for true classic status. I'm just glad that I'm not an avid fan of this material, because I would be concerned that a policy may be in place to re-release albums thought-to-have-been given the last word on FTD.

Unfortunately, quality-control occassional goes awry on the FTD label, and that's harmful to the brand -- especially when one considers the reasons why this label was established in the first place. As fans, we pay our money and make our choice, but, for all intents-and-purposes, the FTD label is ours and its existence relies solely on the commitment and contentment of regular buyers. I'm not suggesting that spurious tactics are abound, not do I expect absolute perfection on every release, and occassional re-placement/issue of tracks/takes I can tolerate if the ultimate release in question is truly the last word on an album . . .

Point of further interest being, will FTD again turn to Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis and Stage Rehearsal due to issues en masse regarding the aforementioned's edits and added reverb, and the latter's edits and splices? Don't get me wrong, I can see a modicum of rationale in reissuing material thought-to-be sounding under par or suffering from audio issues, whilst the splicing of source material occassionally works when in relation to painting a bigger picture -- but not at the expense of finer details, as one faux pas can be accepted as such; but numerous mistakes and cack-handedness is inexcusable, i.e. why was Frankie and Johnny released in the first place?!

FTD in many ways is a god-send for fans, and for every release that's questionable in content or simply banal, there's an exciting, fresh and interesting offering that can leave us truly wanting more from the label. And I certainly do want more from FTD -- but with their rate of releases and costly projects currently abound in the Elvis world, asking fans to double-dip isn't doing anyone any favours. Perhaps Ernst and Co. should pay heed to the parable about the scorpion and the frog . . .

One of the best, more considered posts in a long time. Tip of the hat greystoke.