Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: how much elvis stuff do you need to be a fan -collector

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Do any of you people have an Elvis shrine/corner where you keep your Elvis collectibles? I don't.
I mean I have some collectibles but they are not in a designated shrine area.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Nicely put by Ken. And it doesn't matter how much Elvis stuff you have or how many thousands of pounds or dollars you have spent on Elvis stuff. If you enjoy collecting and / or spending £1,000 on one LP or film poster, for example, as long as your family is not suffering the consequences of this and you are not addicted like that woman was who stole money from her job to buy premium collectibles!

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:53 pm

JaneTLC wrote:Do any of you people have an Elvis shrine/corner where you keep your Elvis collectibles? I don't.

Please don't tell me you keep them in a damp loft or garage!? To me the idea of having an Elvis collection is so that you can display it and have it to hand and to show other Elvis collectors.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:00 pm

TONY. wrote:Nicely put by Ken. And it doesn't matter how much Elvis stuff you have or how many thousands of pounds or dollars you have spent on Elvis stuff. If you enjoy collecting and / or spending £1,000 on one LP or film poster, for example, as long as your family is not suffering the consequences of this and you are not addicted like that woman was who stole money from her job to buy premium collectibles!

ThanksTony.I do have a large collection of cds booksdvds and vinyl but i dont need them,i do like them though

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:07 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:hi ,

this may be a old question but one my wife seem's to never get a right answer for asking , how much stuff do we need to be a elvis fan or collector . i have a fan / collector for about 25 years . it started with lp's , i had to have original's , then reissue 's tan label / black label . reissue from other country 's etc . i would buy a lp just because i thought the cover was cool , then came cd's with buying every lp on cd , box set's etc . including dvd's , magazines , pictures , etc . as my wife keep's pointing out why do i need mutiple copies of the same lp or the cd of the same lp . or why do i have 20 cd's that have the exact same song's just differnt covers . i have alway's been a huge fan and elvis will alway's be my fav artist with no comparison. but 25 years my wife keep's asking me to thin down my collection to just what i would play the most as we are in need of the room . but i guess i have a attachment to it as i really enjoy collecting and have enjoyed my collection for years . times i feel guilty about reducing it , other times i think that i could sell alot of it and just keep what i like best , but i cannot talk myself into it . honestley 75 percent if i will never play or watch again . but it just seem's cool to have , this is my passion and i enjoy it , i cannot explain this to my wife and she nags me alot about it . my question is how much elvis stuff do you need dto qualify as a fan , or what do you guy's think about reducing the collection as i have seen some do here before . what are your thought's on the matter and would you sell any of your collection to please your wife , i feel i would not but any input appericated , thanks ::rocks

I don't think you can put a specific amount on having any items (records, CDs, books etc) to quantify being a fan – collector. It shouldn’t matter if it’s just collecting records or wanting more than records. It really depends on your financial situation. I’ve collected Elvis for over thirty years, mostly records, CDs and RCA promotional items. I'll only buy if it's in our budget. My wife has never complained about my collecting. However, the only things she’s mentioned, why have multiple copies of the same record and buy something still sealed that you’re never going to open to play? When I say it’s a different pressing or having a different label, and it’s worth more keeping it sealed, she just says, "Oh, okay." I have sold a good portion of my collection due to priorities. The money helped my kids get through college. The only items I would sell and/or trade are the items you haven’t looked at in years. Give someone else the chance to enjoy them.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 pm

TONY. wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:Do any of you people have an Elvis shrine/corner where you keep your Elvis collectibles? I don't.

Please don't tell me you keep them in a damp loft or garage!? To me the idea of having an Elvis collection is so that you can display it and have it to hand and to show other Elvis collectors.

Certainly not. But I don't have a 'shrine' either. I find them a bit over the top, personally.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Well, not exactly a shrine. We do have a showcase with some special stuff. And on our living room walls are the aloha eagle cape on one side and the black spanish flower cape on the other side. Off course also some pictures of our man. Hey, I'm not going to put some painting on the wall if we rather watch a nice pic of the king! :smt007

Call us crazy, call us Elvis buffs, call us whatever you want, but we love it!

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 pm

JaneTLC wrote:
TONY. wrote:

Certainly not. But I don't have a 'shrine' either. I find them a bit over the top, personally.

To me an Elvis 'shrine' is a room covered in tacky posters, Elvis dolls, figureines, busts and plates. An Elvis ROOM on the other hand is a spare room in the house where one can store and display one's Elvis records, film memorabilia, books, scrapbooks, movies, magazines etc. No tack for me!

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Here's a couple of links to some of the members Elvis rooms. I for one love collecting anything, not just books, cds, dvds, but everything

http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewt ... elvis+room
http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewt ... elvis+room

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm

I have to say that my collection has expended since the last 4 years, another elvis room would be welcomed :oops: :oops: :D

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:hi ,this may be a old question but one my wife seem's to never get a right answer for asking , how much stuff do we need to be a elvis fan or collector.

Enough is never enough, IMHO.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 am

TONY. wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:
TONY. wrote:

To me an Elvis 'shrine' is a room covered in tacky posters, Elvis dolls, figureines, busts and plates. An Elvis ROOM on the other hand is a spare room in the house where one can store and display one's Elvis records, film memorabilia, books, scrapbooks, movies, magazines etc. No tack for me!

spot on Tony .. been to too many fans houses where they say "i have everything" only to find towels plates and other such junk all over the place

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 am

I lost count of how much Elvis stuff I have but when I like something I collect it. I think we all have areas we focus on more. I like the vinyl, books, and Dvd's best. That goes for anyone I like. With Elvis I tend to want a nice copy of each LP and if the mixes are different I buy the singles. I also like to get anything Elvis did on vinyl if possible so I buy the rare boots and recent import vinyls that have anything different. I don't buy label variations, or different imports of the same titles unless it's truly unqiue. I also don't buy all the dvd variations or book editions. I just want the nicest one possible.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:51 am

KempoDick wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You need at least 700 LPs, 500 CDs, 250 DVDs, 100 magazines, 65 posters, and two books.

sh*t ..... 1 book short. :smt022

Don't worry, I will lend you my copy of Lichter's Elvis: Memories Are Forever.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 am

TONY. wrote:To me an Elvis 'shrine' is a room covered in tacky posters, Elvis dolls, figureines, busts and plates. An Elvis ROOM on the other hand is a spare room in the house where one can store and display one's Elvis records, film memorabilia, books, scrapbooks, movies, magazines etc. No tack for me!

Call it what you will - but it's still a shrine.

"A shrine (Latin: scrinium "case or chest for books or papers"; Old French: escrin "box or case") is a holy or sacred place, which is dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon or similar figure of awe and respect, at which they are venerated or worshipped. Shrines often contain idols, relics, or other such objects associated with the figure being venerated."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:Just go to Memphis, meet a nice fellow fan over there and marry her! That's what I did anyway! :D

NEVER any trouble if I want to buy some Elvis stuff.....It has it's downside though. People who come to visit us, think we're living in a kind of museum! It's Elvis everywhere! AND I LOVE IT ::rocks

Well I am happy for you Lexie1973 but I foresee trouble if ever a divorce crosses your path. Who's going to get the collection? :wink: Ah, well, don't even thinbk about it... hope you two get along for many fine years to come!

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KempoDick wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You need at least 700 LPs, 500 CDs, 250 DVDs, 100 magazines, 65 posters, and two books.

Do you have by any chance the Lichter's book Rip It Off!, the one about collecting collectables and selling them with great creativity? :wink:

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Matthew wrote:
TONY. wrote:To me an Elvis 'shrine' is a room covered in tacky posters, Elvis dolls, figureines, busts and plates. An Elvis ROOM on the other hand is a spare room in the house where one can store and display one's Elvis records, film memorabilia, books, scrapbooks, movies, magazines etc. No tack for me!

Call it what you will - but it's still a shrine.

"A shrine (Latin: scrinium "case or chest for books or papers"; Old French: escrin "box or case") is a holy or sacred place, which is dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon or similar figure of awe and respect, at which they are venerated or worshipped. Shrines often contain idols, relics, or other such objects associated with the figure being venerated."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine

Okay. okay.....without the whole worshipping thing we got a shrine alright! Again: WE LOVE IT! :D
Last edited by Lexie1973 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KempoDick wrote:

Yippieee .... thanks a lot.

I'm a fan now.
::rocks

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Alexander wrote:
Lexie1973 wrote:Just go to Memphis, meet a nice fellow fan over there and marry her! That's what I did anyway! :D

NEVER any trouble if I want to buy some Elvis stuff.....It has it's downside though. People who come to visit us, think we're living in a kind of museum! It's Elvis everywhere! AND I LOVE IT ::rocks

Well I am happy for you Lexie1973 but I foresee trouble if ever a divorce crosses your path. Who's going to get the collection? :wink: Ah, well, don't even thinbk about it... hope you two get along for many fine years to come!

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KempoDick wrote:

Do you have by any chance the Lichter's book Rip It Off!, the one about collecting collectables and selling them with great creativity? :wink:

Never can understand Lichters "crazy" prices but at least this book he put out makes a ok reference for collectibles I guess
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:58 am

londonflash wrote:I gave up worrying about what defines a collector years ago.

For example, the days of thinking I had to have every FTD to be classed as a collector are long gone. Partly, that's due to growing up and having less disposable income (that's spent on a wider range of interests) but also the realisation that it's pointless buying a book, DVD, CD etc that I'm not going to enjoy and will never read, watch, listen to.....whatever.

I purchase what I want and if it's something I'm not interested in, my wallet remains in my pocket.

EXCELLENT post and way of thinking ! pretty much exactly how i look at it & behave !!!

i dont think you NEED anything to be a FAN !!

a collector is something else and then theres different levels!
VEGAS74 & PEP are surely MEGA collectors - few of us could even catch up with - IF we had the money !

ive already started thinning down my collection, selling off redundant items (including past FTD's ) and getting rid of things i wont watch/listen too again etc !!!

i wouldnt let my other half dictate my collection - ive always paid the mortgage etc so its not an issue !
BUDGET is clearly an issue & NOW i have to really restrict myself to only the essential FTD's and boots (if any)
space has to be took into account too !

and something that bothers me is what will/would happen to it after me -
im not even middle-aged yet but the futures uncertain !

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 am

Julian Grant wrote:I had a girlfriend once to told me that either my Elvis collection goes or she goes.

My girlfriend would never give me an ultimatum like that because she knows she would be on the losing end.

That goes double for my wife.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Rob wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:I had a girlfriend once to told me that either my Elvis collection goes or she goes.

My girlfriend would never give me an ultimatum like that because she knows she would be on the losing end.

Ha ha. If you want to get rid of either (or both) of them, tell them that you are after the set of these for your collection;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY ... 588f66fa39

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Rob wrote:

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 ::rocks

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:26 am

londonflash wrote:I gave up worrying about what defines a collector years ago.

For example, the days of thinking I had to have every FTD to be classed as a collector are long gone. Partly, that's due to growing up and having less disposable income (that's spent on a wider range of interests) but also the realisation that it's pointless buying a book, DVD, CD etc that I'm not going to enjoy and will never read, watch, listen to.....whatever.

I purchase what I want and if it's something I'm not interested in, my wallet remains in my pocket.

Wow. Couldn't have put it any better myself. I also have a mortgage to keep under control. Methinks Australia has higher interest rates than does the USA. Housing affordability is a serious issue Down Under.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Actually so far this year i have not bought ANY CD's - Elvis or otherwise. Was pretty close once but was informed that the shop here in Australia that stocks the ftd's stuff has closed.