Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

how much elvis stuff do you need to be a fan -collector

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:27 am

hi ,

this may be a old question but one my wife seem's to never get a right answer for asking , how much stuff do we need to be a elvis fan or collector . i have a fan / collector for about 25 years . it started with lp's , i had to have original's , then reissue 's tan label / black label . reissue from other country 's etc . i would buy a lp just because i thought the cover was cool , then came cd's with buying every lp on cd , box set's etc . including dvd's , magazines , pictures , etc . as my wife keep's pointing out why do i need mutiple copies of the same lp or the cd of the same lp . or why do i have 20 cd's that have the exact same song's just differnt covers . i have alway's been a huge fan and elvis will alway's be my fav artist with no comparison. but 25 years my wife keep's asking me to thin down my collection to just what i would play the most as we are in need of the room . but i guess i have a attachment to it as i really enjoy collecting and have enjoyed my collection for years . times i feel guilty about reducing it , other times i think that i could sell alot of it and just keep what i like best , but i cannot talk myself into it . honestley 75 percent if i will never play or watch again . but it just seem's cool to have , this is my passion and i enjoy it , i cannot explain this to my wife and she nags me alot about it . my question is how much elvis stuff do you need dto qualify as a fan , or what do you guy's think about reducing the collection as i have seen some do here before . what are your thought's on the matter and would you sell any of your collection to please your wife , i feel i would not but any input appericated , thanks ::rocks

Re: how much elvis stuff do you need to be a fan -collector

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 am

I had a girlfriend once to told me that either my Elvis collection goes or she goes. I told her that Elvis was 'here'before you and that he would still be here when your gone. We broke up shortly afterwards.

When you are passionate about something, whether is collecting stamps or anything Elvis why would you ever stop? It's like suggesting the Doc stop posting on here because he's reached 40,000 posts.

Elvis is for life, just tell the wife when she asks, "Elvis - That's The Way It Is" and not to worry, you'll always love her and that she will always be second best.

:wink:

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 am

It's the other way around in this house. I am the Elvis freak and husband collects marathon medals. By training and running marathons. This impinges on our social life and personal life but he enjoys it so, erm, I let him get on with it. For his part, he wouldn't tell me not to buy Elvis stuff - it's my business. If you enjoy it, hang on to it, I say.
Funnily enough my son said words to the effect that I overdo the Elvis thing this evening. I replied to them both that I was an Elvis fan before I knew either of them, and it ain't going to change in this lifetime.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 am

I can honestly say that my wife thinks im weird when it comes to my Elvis collection, Im not for one who has to have every little thing on Elvis like books, mags, cds as most of them are just re-issued stuff, but my big passion is Elvis 1969-77 concerts years, I collect everything i can from the Concert years, i have a few live lps, dvds and a whole lot of VHS video Elvis on stage and i collect every new cd that is a live concert to replace my old CDRS. I dont hardly watch them but i will go through the tapes bout 3 times a year just to make sure they work still and its good to see Elvis on stage as i was not old enuf or in the right country to see him in person.The wife never tells me to cut down but i do know and she does she comes first and my children and then Elvis but its close sometimes lol. If you want to stop or cut down ur collection thats fine but make sure its your choice not ur wife's or anybody else.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 am

You need at least 700 LPs, 500 CDs, 250 DVDs, 100 magazines, 65 posters, and two books.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 am

I know people, who have 5 CD's, Aloha From Hawaii (video), poster and a small figure of Elvis. Still, a fan! :)

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You need at least 700 LPs, 500 CDs, 250 DVDs, 100 magazines, 65 posters, and two books.

20 Lps, 1000 cds, 60 dvds, 50 vhs, 100 mags, no posters, 8 scrap books, and bout 30 books and a dam duck does that qualif for a fan Doc

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:17 am

I got 2 Laserdiscs, 3 8-tracks, a National Enquirer and a Bubble Gum Card ! :D

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:20 am

All the above plus your own individual quirk.

Simple really. Anything over 5 counts as a collection, up to to that it's a subset of a handful.

Geoff

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 am

Julian Grant wrote:I had a girlfriend once to told me that either my Elvis collection goes or she goes. I told her that Elvis was 'here'before you and that he would still be here when your gone. We broke up shortly afterwards.

That's the true spirit, Julian ::rocks

My wife gives me the there-goes-part-of-our-household-budget-again-look when the quarterly load of FTDs come in although it gets less nowadays since she has become addicted to buying vintage designer shoes and dresses on internet. :wink: It's not that we can not effort me spending around E 100,- per month on Elvis. Both me and my wife have quite an alright income although housekeeping is expensive with 4 children.
Although I have bought most original LPs and 45s over the years as well as most essential releases, I do not have the ambition to be an absolute completist. I stopped collecting boots in the mid-90s only to pick up a boot now and then over the last 2 years. Also I have about 50% of all FTDs (because we were moving and building a house) but I do have the ambition to own them all at some point. I would never have bought the Complete Master Box if it was not for the recent sell out and which I bought it for a bargain. I am not a collector at any price and IMO a true collector does not have to own everything at any price either!
Last edited by Alexander on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:51 am

My wife tolerates my Elvis `habit', and a few other habits I have. Actually she enjoys Elvis, though mostly his 70s stuff and never the 60s soundtracks (with a few exceptions).
I haven;'t counted my collection but there are about 300 albums and probably that many CDs, books and magazines, along with 100+ original movie posters and lobby cards from all his films (I did count my movie poster collection once and it topped 10,000, and it would be bigger now)

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Elvis was there, ever since I got my first record of the King for my 8th birthday. So nobody can really expect, that I'll give up my hobby because he or she asks me to do so.

Many people call themselves fans of the King and don't know anything about him. They just "know" that Elvis was great and everyone, who tells something different is a dirty liar. So what?

What you need to be a fan depends on your personal taste. I would recommend the books LAST TRAIN TO MEMPHIS, CARELESS LOVE and THE COLONEL, If you are rich, just buy THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS in addition and you'll have a pretty good overview of the King's career. If not, buy the Classic Albums released by FTD and add the live recordings they release, too. With bootlegs a' la SINGER presents ELVIS or WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE you can dig a little deeper into the music of the King and maybe you buy an autograph or a menu card from Las Vegas.

It all depends on your tastes. But a true fan/collector should at least own and know all the masters and the motion pictures and should have read/own the above mentioned books.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:24 pm

I gave up worrying about what defines a collector years ago.

For example, the days of thinking I had to have every FTD to be classed as a collector are long gone. Partly, that's due to growing up and having less disposable income (that's spent on a wider range of interests) but also the realisation that it's pointless buying a book, DVD, CD etc that I'm not going to enjoy and will never read, watch, listen to.....whatever.

I purchase what I want and if it's something I'm not interested in, my wallet remains in my pocket.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Just go to Memphis, meet a nice fellow fan over there and marry her! That's what I did anyway! :D

NEVER any trouble if I want to buy some Elvis stuff.....It has it's downside though. People who come to visit us, think we're living in a kind of museum! It's Elvis everywhere! AND I LOVE IT ::rocks

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't like to have Elvis everywhere. There is an autograph of the King in the living room, but that's all. The rest is stored in my office, but there are no posters on the wall or something like that.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:22 pm

What makes you a fan is that you believe you are one, no one else has a right to say you are not one. It's not about the collection, it's about what's in your heart. Your wife married you for who you are, not for who she wants you to be. You may stop collecting and mellow out on being a fan for a while, but trust me, you'll find yourself coming back to it after a while, no matter what she wants.

The bottom line is, change because you want to, but never because someone else wants you to. In the mean time Love me tender, love me truuuuueeeee

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 pm

londonflash wrote:I gave up worrying about what defines a collector years ago.

For example, the days of thinking I had to have every FTD to be classed as a collector are long gone. Partly, that's due to growing up and having less disposable income (that's spent on a wider range of interests) but also the realisation that it's pointless buying a book, DVD, CD etc that I'm not going to enjoy and will never read, watch, listen to.....whatever.

I purchase what I want and if it's something I'm not interested in, my wallet remains in my pocket.

That's a sensible attitude, to me.
I'm a fan of 50 year's standing, but don't own anywhere near everything and nor do I aspire to. I have other interests in life on which I also spend money (which is limited anyway, unless one is filthy rich), otherwise it becomes obsessive.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:34 pm

It isn't about having "stuff." I saw the guy who bought the original floor-length Aloha cape on television once (Oprah Winfrey), and he said it was the cape Elvis wore on his famous Hawaii show.

Fandom is more in your head and heart than from your wallet.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 pm

i will count my items and get back to you
Joe K

www.elvis2001.net

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 pm

It seems to always be the wives and / or girlfriends that moan about a partners' Elvis collection. For me, it is sense of ownership, the possible investment of the collection for future financial emergencies, etc, the actual enjoyment of always recieving something new that is old (if you know what I mean). And with the recent re-releasing of cd's in different packaging or re-remastering by a different sound engineer etc, I have been put off buying CD's and gone back to collecting original 50's/60's/70's records or items rather than spend £20 on another poor quality audience bootleg recording or the 87th re-release of "Elvis is back" 'remastered' by the 87th different person. THAT is not what collecting is about in my opinion.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:You need at least 700 LPs, 500 CDs, 250 DVDs, 100 magazines, 65 posters, and two books.

sh*t ..... 1 book short. :smt022

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:57 pm

I have 13 Elvis autographs and 1 worn fedora hat.
Hope this make me a fan ::rocks

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:19 pm

KempoDick wrote:sh*t ..... 1 book short. :smt022

I guess your are two books short. He didn't mean picture books. :wink:

how much elvis stuff do you need to be a fan -collector

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:30 pm

The Welz wrote:
KempoDick wrote:sh*t ..... 1 book short. :smt022

I guess your are two books short. He didn't mean picture books. :wink:

I hope you're kidding .....