Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:52 pm

This is one of my all time favourite Elvis tracks and I must admit I was gobsmacked that RCA hid it on the 'Spinout' soundtrack along with the outstanding 'Down In The Alley' and 'I'll Remember You'. Anyway, I heard, for the first time recently, the Dylan original and the Elvis arrangement is a huge step away from the original unlike some of his more 'play safe' covers. I also heard that Elvis was a big fan of the 'Odetta Sings Dylan' album which features this track. I haven't heard the Odetta version. Is this the one that Elvis culls the arrangement from or is that one different as well? Either way still a great version.
::rocks
Last edited by Delboy on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Great choice Delboy!!! I have always loved this song too. If they were to relase an album of pure and simple quality then this song should be on it.

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 pm

I love it too ,and the Dylan version,its a fabulous pice of songwriting

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 pm

This is an example of Elvis's music-making and artistry at its most striking . . . Brilliant would be the most apt description of this recording, with Elvis proving secure within the song's complexities and duration -- his range pushed both vocally and artistically.

That this recording was relegated as a bonus track on the Spinout album shows how little RCA and Elvis's management favoured his artistry over commerciality, with confidence in his appeal away from Hollywood having been blunted as Presley was reaching his commercial nadir. Yet, Tomorrow is a Long Time, Down in the Alley and I'll Remember You were three of the finest recordings Elvis had produced in several years -- his impassioned and skillful approach untempered when presented with quality material, and with his interests piqued and artistry challenged.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPyCJIPtJps

Odetta's version ;-)

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Rod Stewart (with The Faces backing) has a lovely version on his stellar Every Picture Tells A Story album.

phpBB [video]

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Delboy wrote:This is one of my all time favourite Elvis tracks and I must admit I was gobsmacked that RCA hid it on the 'Spinout' soundtrack along with the outstanding 'Down In The Alley' and 'I'll Remember You'. Anyway, I heard, for the first time recently, the Dylan original and the Elvis arrangement is a huge step away from the original unlike some of his more 'play safe' covers. I also heard that Elvis was a big fan of the 'Odetta Sings Dylan' album which features this track. I haven't heard the Odetta version. Is this the one that Elvis culls the arrangement from or is that one different as well? Either way still a great version.
::rocks


However, Elvis did not cover Dylan's version as Dylan did not release the song himself until 1971, although that version had been recorded in 1963 or 64 (can't remember which). So Dylan's was not really the original Elvis learned the song from the Odetta album which is very similar in arrangement to Presley's.

Someone has already added Odetta's version for you to hear.

Regarding the release of the song on Spinout, Robert Matthew Walker wrote that coming across the song on that LP was like discovering a Mozart String Quartet under a pile of Austrian drinking songs.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm

That Rod Stewart version was f***in´ awful! It may go along the way of the original Dylan recording for what I know but the more different versions I hear of this song the more I love love Elvis´ version.

So there really is no question about it, Elvis´ version is THE version! Even Dylan would amen that

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:05 pm

MB280E wrote:That Rod Stewart version was f***in´ awful! It may go along the way of the original Dylan recording for what I know but the more different versions I hear of this song the more I love love Elvis´ version.

So there really is no question about it, Elvis´ version is THE version! Even Dylan would amen that

Sincerely MB280E


Did you hear odetta's?

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Without a doubt, Elvis' reading of Tomorrow Is A Long Time is beautiful. A fantastic vocal from a period of discontent and professional chaos.

Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells A Story
by Stephen Thomas Erlewine/Allmusic Guide

Without greatly altering his approach, Rod Stewart perfected his blend of hard rock, folk, and blues on his masterpiece, Every Picture Tells a Story. Marginally a harder-rocking album than Gasoline Alley -- the Faces blister on the Temptations cover "(I Know I'm) Losing You," and the acoustic title track goes into hyper-drive with Mick Waller's primitive drumming -- the great triumph of Every Picture Tells a Story lies in its content. Every song on the album, whether it's a cover or original, is a gem, combining to form a romantic, earthy portrait of a young man joyously celebrating his young life. Of course, "Maggie May" -- the ornate, ringing ode about a seduction from an older woman -- is the centerpiece, but each song, whether it's the devilishly witty title track or the unbearably poignant "Mandolin Wind," has the same appeal. And the covers, including definitive readings of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is Such a Long Time" and Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe," as well as a rollicking "That's All Right," are equally terrific, bringing new dimension to the songs. It's a beautiful album, one that has the timeless qualities of the best folk, yet one that rocks harder than most pop music -- few rock albums are quite this powerful or this rich.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/every-picture-tells-a-story-r19100/review

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm

midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
MB280E wrote:That Rod Stewart version was f***in´ awful! It may go along the way of the original Dylan recording for what I know but the more different versions I hear of this song the more I love love Elvis´ version.

So there really is no question about it, Elvis´ version is THE version! Even Dylan would amen that

Sincerely MB280E


Did you hear odetta's?


Yes, I have been listening to it quite a bit and that´s more like, obviously. I still prefer Elvis´ rendition. But there is no question that it must have been this rendition that inspired Elvis.

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 pm

midnightx wrote:Without a doubt, Elvis' reading of Tomorrow Is A Long Time is beautiful. A fantastic vocal from a period of discontent and professional chaos.

Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells A Story
by Stephen Thomas Erlewine/Allmusic Guide

Without greatly altering his approach, Rod Stewart perfected his blend of hard rock, folk, and blues on his masterpiece, Every Picture Tells a Story. Marginally a harder-rocking album than Gasoline Alley -- the Faces blister on the Temptations cover "(I Know I'm) Losing You," and the acoustic title track goes into hyper-drive with Mick Waller's primitive drumming -- the great triumph of Every Picture Tells a Story lies in its content. Every song on the album, whether it's a cover or original, is a gem, combining to form a romantic, earthy portrait of a young man joyously celebrating his young life. Of course, "Maggie May" -- the ornate, ringing ode about a seduction from an older woman -- is the centerpiece, but each song, whether it's the devilishly witty title track or the unbearably poignant "Mandolin Wind," has the same appeal. And the covers, including definitive readings of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is Such a Long Time" and Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe," as well as a rollicking "That's All Right," are equally terrific, bringing new dimension to the songs. It's a beautiful album, one that has the timeless qualities of the best folk, yet one that rocks harder than most pop music -- few rock albums are quite this powerful or this rich.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/every-picture-tells-a-story-r19100/review


I have to say that I don't see this as the definitive version, good though it may be.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


:smt023 BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


Yes, it was a very odd comment from MidnightX!

And Elvis is Back.
And Elvis Presley.
And Elvis Country.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


Yes, it was a very odd comment from MidnightX!

And Elvis is Back.
And Elvis Presley.
And Elvis Country.


The revolutionary Elvis Presley album was released in 1956.

After 1970, Elvis never recorded an album even close to Every Picture Tells A Story (circa 1971), hence, the reason why I said it was a shame Elvis never recorded an album of the same quality. Even so, as great as Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis are, they were completely different albums in terms of era, production, approach and genre. Elvis certainly had the talent to record a great "rock" album with a blend of rock, folk, and blues during the '70s, but he didn't. As much as I love it, Elvis Country doesn't quite reach the mark.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


Yes, it was a very odd comment from MidnightX!

And Elvis is Back.
And Elvis Presley.
And Elvis Country.


The revolutionary Elvis Presley album was released in 1956.

After 1970, Elvis never recorded an album even close to Every Picture Tells A Story (circa 1971), hence, the reason why I said it was a shame Elvis never recorded an album of the same quality. Even so, as great as Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis are, they were completely different albums in terms of era, production, approach and genre. Elvis certainly had the talent to record a great "rock" album with a blend of rock, folk, and blues during the '70s, but he didn't. As much as I love it, Elvis Country doesn't quite reach the mark.


Your comment originally said nothing about genre or era. You simply said that Elvis never created such a good album.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


Yes, it was a very odd comment from MidnightX!

And Elvis is Back.
And Elvis Presley.
And Elvis Country.


The revolutionary Elvis Presley album was released in 1956.

After 1970, Elvis never recorded an album even close to Every Picture Tells A Story (circa 1971), hence, the reason why I said it was a shame Elvis never recorded an album of the same quality. Even so, as great as Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis are, they were completely different albums in terms of era, production, approach and genre. Elvis certainly had the talent to record a great "rock" album with a blend of rock, folk, and blues during the '70s, but he didn't. As much as I love it, Elvis Country doesn't quite reach the mark.


Your comment originally said nothing about genre or era. You simply said that Elvis never created such a good album.

And then I clarified my intentions to cease confusion.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Odetta was an RCA artist. Recorded it in Nashville. With pretty much the exact same musicians. So they swung right into to it. I think there were very few takes on Elvis's version.

But in listen after listen, she seems to be enjoying the music rather than creating the desolate world of the song's intention. Kind of like pre-production. Tho no one could have known at the time.

Odetta's version has an almost joyful quality to it; she and the other musicians are really diggin' creating this music.

Whereas when I hear Elvis, I think of one thing: Buzz Aldrin's initial description on seeing the moon, on the moon.

"Magnificent Desolation."

rjm
--------------------
Edited: 9-22-2012. First posted from a sorry-a$$ little Kindle, 2nd gen. (Which had free 3G!)
Last edited by rjm on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:48 pm

rjm wrote:Odetta was an RCA artist. Recorde it in Nashville.

But in listen after listen, she seems to be enjoying the music rather than creating the desolate world of the song's intention. Kind of like pre-production. Tho no one could have known at the time.

rjm


I don't quite understand what you mean? You're saying she is sounding too happy??!!

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:32 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


Yes, it was a very odd comment from MidnightX!

And Elvis is Back.
And Elvis Presley.
And Elvis Country.


The revolutionary Elvis Presley album was released in 1956.

After 1970, Elvis never recorded an album even close to Every Picture Tells A Story (circa 1971), hence, the reason why I said it was a shame Elvis never recorded an album of the same quality. Even so, as great as Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis are, they were completely different albums in terms of era, production, approach and genre. Elvis certainly had the talent to record a great "rock" album with a blend of rock, folk, and blues during the '70s, but he didn't. As much as I love it, Elvis Country doesn't quite reach the mark.


Your comment originally said nothing about genre or era. You simply said that Elvis never created such a good album.


Well you went ahead and assumed he meant a "good album"...but c'mon...we all know better than that. From Elvis in Memphis is a classic and one of his masterpeices...I don't think anyone on this board could ignore that album.

If Elvis had gone in the direction of "Every Picture"...it would no doubt have given Elvis that much needed rock and roll album back in his catalog. The production on "Every Picture" is wonderfully raw...perhaps a little too raw and rough around the edges than Elvis would have felt comfortable with but this was no doubt an area that I wish he could've explored.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 pm

IMETJB wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
midnightx wrote:Stewart's rendition is far from being "f***in´ awful!" If only Elvis could have recorded an album of the same quality:

He did. It was called «From Elvis In Memphis».


Yes, it was a very odd comment from MidnightX!

And Elvis is Back.
And Elvis Presley.
And Elvis Country.


The revolutionary Elvis Presley album was released in 1956.

After 1970, Elvis never recorded an album even close to Every Picture Tells A Story (circa 1971), hence, the reason why I said it was a shame Elvis never recorded an album of the same quality. Even so, as great as Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis are, they were completely different albums in terms of era, production, approach and genre. Elvis certainly had the talent to record a great "rock" album with a blend of rock, folk, and blues during the '70s, but he didn't. As much as I love it, Elvis Country doesn't quite reach the mark.


Your comment originally said nothing about genre or era. You simply said that Elvis never created such a good album.


Well you went ahead and assumed he meant a "good album"...but c'mon...we all know better than that. From Elvis in Memphis is a classic and one of his masterpeices...I don't think anyone on this board could ignore that album.

If Elvis had gone in the direction of "Every Picture"...it would no doubt have given Elvis that much needed rock and roll album back in his catalog. The production on "Every Picture" is wonderfully raw...perhaps a little too raw and rough around the edges than Elvis would have felt comfortable with but this was no doubt an area that I wish he could've explored.


I agree completely -- Every Picture Tells a Story is a marvellous album, a true classic and a high-point in the long and illustrious career of Rod Stewart. But From Elvis in Memphis owes nothing to most any other album of the era . . . Is it the best album of its time? That's certainly debatable, but it was what Elvis offered at the peak of his creative maturity and under the best of circumstances. And with that considered, it's a stone classic in every sense of the term.

That Elvis never again offered an album of this calibre is galling, although Back in Memphis is very good -- as is Elvis Country. And they're certainly no embarassments -- or albums that missed the mark or should be cited as disappointing efforts; ditto That's the Way it Is . . . An album that leans more towards so-called easy listening sensibilities; but with aplomb and in a most contemporary style.

In fact, one may even consider From Elvis in Memphis to be the first true adult-orientated rock album. Elvis's larger audience was surely more mature than that of The Beatles, Stewart and Dylan -- and From Elvis in Memphis was a truly mature piece of musicianship that any artist would have been proud of.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:57 pm

I agree 100%. My only complaint? Why the heck did they go back to 1963 for the picture on the back cover? That surprised me when the album came out. At least the free photo inside was a recent shot.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 am

Perhaps for the contrast. Front cover: Now! Liner photo: Then.

Re: Tomorrow is a Long Time

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 am

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:Odetta was an RCA artist. Recorde it in Nashville.

But in listen after listen, she seems to be enjoying the music rather than creating the desolate world of the song's intention. Kind of like pre-production. Tho no one could have known at the time.

rjm


I don't quite understand what you mean? You're saying she is sounding too happy??!!


Well, I certainly would not like to put it quite that way. She was enjoing the musical process but this song was ideally a vehicle to express the most absolutely desolate alienation. "I can't remember the sound of my own name." That is hard to convey to its fullest extent. I don't think most artists would even want to go to that place. Elvis did.
I hope that helps some.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.