Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisonline
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Mega rare elvis uk 78

Post by elvisonline »

After a quarter of a century collecting Elvis records there is an item on eBay that has just been listed that has blown me away. It has been accepted for many years that the last issue of elvis on 78 in the uk was The girl of my best friend bw mess of blues and this was pressed in tiny quantities and available by mail order only.

Now in 2011 it has been discovered that it's now or never RCA 1207 exists! What a find after all these years. Bidding is £820 already with 4 days to go. Expect bidding on this item to go through the roof!

Who says vinyl is dead!?!

elvisonline

'She asked me if I could be there by three. I was there by the time she hung up the phone'

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Mega rare elvis uk 78

Post by promiseland »

You may find interest in this:

Some of Elvis Presley's early singles on Sun Records may have sold more copies on 78 than on 45. This is assumed because the majority of those sales in 1954-55 were to the "hillbilly" market in the South and Southwestern US, where replacing the family 78 rpm player with a new 45 rpm player was a luxury few could afford at the time. By the end of 1957, RCA Victor announced that 78s accounted for less than 10% of Presley's singles sales, essentially announcing the death throes of the 78 rpm format. The last Presley single released on 78 in the US was RCA Victor 20-7410, "I Got Stung" / "One Night" (1958), while the last 78 in the UK was RCA 1194, "A Mess Of Blues" / "Girl Of My Best Friend" (1960).

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#78_rpm_materials

TONY.
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by TONY. »

elvisonline wrote:After a quarter of a century collecting Elvis records there is an item on eBay that has just been listed that has blown me away. It has been accepted for many years that the last issue of elvis on 78 in the uk was The girl of my best friend bw mess of blues and this was pressed in tiny quantities and available by mail order only.

Now in 2011 it has been discovered that it's now or never RCA 1207 exists! What a find after all these years. Bidding is £820 already with 4 days to go. Expect bidding on this item to go through the roof!

elvisonline
I'll have a look. Is it genuine?

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

promiseland wrote:You may find interest in this:

Some of Elvis Presley's early singles on Sun Records may have sold more copies on 78 than on 45. This is assumed because the majority of those sales in 1954-55 were to the "hillbilly" market in the South and Southwestern US, where replacing the family 78 rpm player with a new 45 rpm player was a luxury few could afford at the time. By the end of 1957, RCA Victor announced that 78s accounted for less than 10% of Presley's singles sales, essentially announcing the death throes of the 78 rpm format. The last Presley single released on 78 in the US was RCA Victor 20-7410, "I Got Stung" / "One Night" (1958), while the last 78 in the UK was RCA 1194, "A Mess Of Blues" / "Girl Of My Best Friend" (1960).

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#78_rpm_materials
This is the thing 'the last one was the girl of my best friend'

This is the next single, it's now or never! Remarkable. If genuine, a major find for vinyl officianados.

Bid is now £1070!

elvisonline

'She asked me if I could be there by three. I was there by the time she hung up the phone'

garry100

Post by garry100 »

Never say never

TONY.

Post by TONY. »

Yes, genuine. The man told me he found it in the loft of a recently deceased family member along with other items and didn't know it was such a revered and rare 78. He started the bidding at 99p hoping to get something like £20 for it!!
He's listing the "Good luck charm" 78 later this week!!!! :lol:

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

It wouldn't surprise me if this sells for at least £5,000

Its already gone from 99p to £1,270 in a day and there are 4 days left. :shock:

elvisrecords.us
Registered for: 14 years

Post by elvisrecords.us »

Amazing. Great find! After all these years, discoveries are still being made.

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

It is incredible that it has taken 50 years for a copy to surface. There must have been more copies but whether they survived who knows. This could well be the only copy on the planet!

elvisonline

houndog
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by houndog »

its now £2200 :o :o

HOUNDOG

you aint nuthin butta.......

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

elvisonline wrote:After a quarter of a century collecting Elvis records there is an item on eBay that has just been listed that has blown me away. It has been accepted for many years that the last issue of elvis on 78 in the uk was The girl of my best friend bw mess of blues and this was pressed in tiny quantities and available by mail order only.

elvisonline
Since when did 78rpm become vinyl?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

ericthevid
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by ericthevid »

I did have one of these, I lost it when I moved in 1987. :(

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

KiwiAlan wrote:

elvisonline
.......who says record collecting is dead!

The 78rpm phonograph is now at £2550!

elvisonline

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

This issue has been known about for many years, they just don't turn up much. There was an article in Record Collector many moons ago about rare Presley and this was, from what i remember, high up on the list.

garry100

Post by garry100 »

It's now at £4,200.00...Big bucks to me :)

Never say never

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

poormadpeter wrote:This issue has been known about for many years, they just don't turn up much. There was an article in Record Collector many moons ago about rare Presley and this was, from what i remember, high up on the list.
I think you will find that it is Stuck On You/Fame And Fortune and Mess Of Blues/Girl Of My Best Friend which don't turn up much.

It's Now Or Never/Make Me Know It UK RCA 1207 is hitherto unknown to exist on 78rpm. It had been rumoured but no copy had ever surfaced in 50 years.

Until now.

That is the significance of the find and that is why the auction Is now at £4400!

elvisonline

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

KiwiAlan wrote:

elvisonline

78 rpm materials

Early disc records were made of various materials including hard rubber. From 1897 onwards, earlier materials were largely replaced by a rather brittle formula of 25% shellac, a filler of a cotton compound similar to manila paper, powdered slate, and a small amount of a wax lubricant.

The mass production of shellac records began in 1898 in Hanover, Germany, and continued until the end of the 78 rpm format in the late 1950s. "Unbreakable" records, usually of celluloid on a pasteboard base, were made from 1904 onwards, but they suffered from an exceptionally high level of surface noise. "Unbreakable" records could be bent, broken, or otherwise damaged, but not nearly as easily as shellac records. Vinyl was first tried out as a 78 rpm material in 1939, as a cigarette radio commercial mailed to stations, as vinyl was less breakable in the mail. On the record, mention is made of the Lucky Strike exhibit at the 1939 New York World's Fair.[14] During the Second World War, the US Armed Forces produced thousands of V-Discs for the soldiers to play overseas, as well as giant 16-inch War Department radio transcriptions, all of which were made of vinyl.[15] Decca introduced vinyl "Deccalite" 78s after the war. Victor made some vinyl 78s, but other labels would restrict vinyl production to the special DJ copies of 78s, which were also commonly issued in vinyl to be mailed to radio stations, during the late '40s and early '50s.[16]

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

clp1093hmv
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by clp1093hmv »

What the f..k, its disappeared. Scam or a private deal. We need to know!

TONY.

Post by TONY. »

I hear 'Bodie' offered the man 10 grand cash upfront! :smt002

elvisrecords.us

clp1093hmv wrote:What the f..k, its disappeared. Scam or a private deal. We need to know!
Did anyone get a pic of this before it ended? I thought I would have more time and do it later.

TONY.

Post by TONY. »

I scanned and printed off both sides of it......................and gave it to my collector friend Dave today!!!! So never got to keep the pics for myself or print them.

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

TONY. wrote:I scanned and printed off both sides of it......................and gave it to my collector friend Dave today!!!! So never got to keep the pics for myself or print them.
What does he think about it?

elvisrecords.us

OK. Lucky me. I still had a couple of windows open from earlier this morning. I had saved several screenshots of this auction and cleaned up the photos a little bit. At the time of the (Aug 22, 2011 12:49:46 PDT) there were 36 bids at GBP 2,550.00 ($4,198.32). The seller "twotenmedia" is no longer a registered user on eBay. I did email this seller asking why the auction had ended. Hopefully, I will get a response.

RCA-1707 It's Now or Never / Make Me Know It (78)(UK)
RCA-1207-78-side1.jpg
RCA-1207-78-side2.jpg
The original eBay description
Elvis: IT'S NOW OR NEVER / MAKE ME KNOW IT RCA 1207 Old 78rpm record. UK 78 in Capitol sleeve. Record is on the RCA label. I don't have a 78 player but it looks to be in pretty good condition - the record is still shiny and there are a few light marks but no scratches. I am sure it will play well. I also have listed a HMV "Hound Dog" 78. I understand how fragile 78's are, so this will be very well packaged. POSTAGE 4.00 UK / 6.00 elsewhere. PAYPAL preffered but will also accept UK Cheque. Any questions, please ask!!
Business Seller Information (also found in the auction)
Two Ten Media
Phil Glass
30 Baguley Cresent,
Heyood, Middleton
Greater Manchester
M24 6PD
United Kingdom

Phone: 07891377839
Email:enquiries@twotenmedia.co.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Nice detective work!

Topic author
elvisonline

Post by elvisonline »

SCAM!

Shame as it would have been pretty amazing to find such a piece.

elvisonline