Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Painful viewing

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Just played the CBS Elvis in Concert video for the first time in years; had to switch it off. It is seriously painful viewing. I know Elvis (and CP) were in financial trouble but how they thought this would get them back on track is beyond me. Hard work. If you think having this in Blue-Ray or surround sound etc will improve it you are delusional I think a dose of the 68 special is in order. ::rocks

Re: Painful viewing

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 pm

It's part of the story, Delboy. You can't ignore this part of his life. Not only can we not ignore it...we should remind the general public of this sad end by releasing it on DVD and BluRay for all to watch on their huge HDTVs! I mean...how can we let such gems as "Hurt" and "How Great Thou Art" continue to be locked away? That is the true tragedy.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 pm

IMETJB wrote:It's part of the story, Delboy. You can't ignore this part of his life. Not only can we not ignore it...we should remind the general public of this sad end by releasing it on DVD and BluRay for all to watch on their huge HDTVs! I mean...how can we let such gems as "Hurt" and "How Great Thou Art" continue to be locked away? That is the true tragedy.

Edit: I now see irony... :oops:

I can see where you're coming from, the difficulty for me and other members of this board, I suspect, is that this is what's lodged in the collective memory of the general public and the glory that is the Sun years, '68, '69 TTWII even EOT and Aloha are overshadowed by Elvis at his nadir.

We can access EIC anytime we like and I suspect that's enough. It's never going to be a stellar release for the casual fan or general public.

JMHO

Geoff

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Delboy wrote:Just played the CBS Elvis in Concert video for the first time in years; had to switch it off. It is seriously painful viewing. I know Elvis (and CP) were in financial trouble but how they thought this would get them back on track is beyond me. Hard work. If you think having this in Blue-Ray or surround sound etc will improve it you are delusional I think a dose of the 68 special is in order. ::rocks

Yeah I actually watched it from start to finish for the first time recently. I'd say the look on my face was something to behold.
I was just looking at the cover of the new FTD book online and I just couldn't get my head round the difference. I know 8 years is a long time but still. To say he was a a shadow of his former self is a massive understatement.
Very upsetting. I see nothing of the Boy From Tupelo in that 'Special'.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:14 pm

The performances aside -- CBS's editing and handling of the footage was severely sub-par . . . Certain inserts of audience reaction made it appear as though the crowd was actually laughing AT Elvis, e.g. during Are You Lonesome Tonight? It wasn't far removed from being a hatchet-job; and was certainly amateurish.
Last edited by greystoke on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Lets all be honest, he should never have been doing any concerts in 1977 considering how ill he was, he needed a few years off but he couldn't cause he was broke.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Absolutely -- he should never have been on the concert stage. However, Elvis Presley could have made a fortune through other media and down other avenues. He need not have been touring in such a relentless and inflexible manner -- especially when he wasn't fit, able or willing.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

greystoke wrote:The performances aside -- CBS's editing and handling of the footage was severely sub-par . . . Certain inserts of audience reaction made it appear as though the crowd was actually laughing AT Elvis, e.g. during Are You Lonesome Tonight? It wasn't far removed from being a hatchet-job; and was certainly amateurish.

It's been discussed in the past but I also was put off by the editing specifically in "You Gave Me A Mountain" when Elvis is flailing his arms they cut to a couple women bowled over laughing. see 2:24...

phpBB [video]

Most likely they were actually laughing at something he may have said in between songs during another part of the show..but for the editors to splice that in during "You Gave Me A Mountain"--completely belittles (and mocks) Elvis and his performance.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 pm

I do agree the editing is really bad.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:04 pm

CBS' edit of Elvis In Concert is not half as bad as many proclaim it to be. The special as an appropriate mix of pre-concert footage, performances of hits that had to be included, and some vocal highlights captured on film. Some fans act as if the producers went out of their way to make a mockery of Elvis. The producers did not tell Elvis to lumber around the stage during Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel and toss away dozens of scarves to screaming grandmas -- yet, the producers understandably felt compelled to include a medley of those two monster hits that many viewers would expect to see, in addition to giving the audience a glimpse of the euphoria many female fans still felt towards their idol (regardless of their age). The producers didn't tell Elvis to toss away Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock. Elvis did that on his own. And again, the inclusion of performances of Elvis' '50s gold would have been expected by viewers. It isn't as if the producers kept in the embarrassing monologue from Are You Lonesome Tonight. Some of the crowd shots can be construed as people laughing at Elvis, but those split-second shots are not overly obvious to the casual eye -- it is more of an issue for hardcore Elvis fans combing through the footage with watchful eyes.

With regards to the non-musical content, clearly some of the fan interviews came off as awkward and bizarre, but some also worked in their own way. The producers were trying to showcase an artist with a very broad, enthusiastic audience. The producers tried to show the size and scope of the touring operation with the pre-show set-up scenes. Additionally, it was only fitting to have Vernon share some thoughts on Elvis' career, especially once the special took on a different scope after Elvis' death.

Aside from the mixture of toss-away performances of Elvis' classics, the producers included respectable renditions of I Really Don't Want To Know, Hurt, How Great Thou Art, and My Way. Some fans believe that a new edit with the pitch-troubled, bellowing Trying To Get To You and painful, yet successful Unchained Melody would save the special. They would not. Clearly, Trying To Get To You is a better song than If You Love Me (Let Me Know), but with a handful of '50s tracks already slotted, perhaps the producers wanted more of a balance of contemporary numbers and that is why Olivia Newton-John's track remained.

It was an hour spectacle. The footage was damaging and probably very difficult to work with. CBS was obviously concerned with what it had to work with prior to Elvis' death. Once he died and they knew something needed to be pieced together, an appropriate edit was put together. A couple of tracks substituted for others would not have saved the EIC train-wreck.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Excellent post.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:16 pm

As ever, really good points and well made. Minor quibble

Clearly, Trying To Get To You is a better song than If You Love Me (Let Me Know), but with a handful of '50s tracks already slotted, perhaps the producers wanted more of a balance of contemporary numbers and that is why Olivia Newton-John's track remained.

the ONJ track didn't make the final edit if memory serves.

Geoff

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:As ever, really good points and well made. Minor quibble

Clearly, Trying To Get To You is a better song than If You Love Me (Let Me Know), but with a handful of '50s tracks already slotted, perhaps the producers wanted more of a balance of contemporary numbers and that is why Olivia Newton-John's track remained.

Geoff

I think you are correct. Even better, the producers used better judgment than we thought!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 pm

midnightx wrote:

Geoff

I think you are correct. Even better, the producers used better judgment than we thought!

If you want to really know what people think about EIC then go to youtube Alot there give real opinions.
And while there midnightX why dont you watch all parts of it, so that you may know what your talking about next time.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Delboy wrote:Just played the CBS Elvis in Concert video for the first time in years; had to switch it off. It is seriously painful viewing. I know Elvis (and CP) were in financial trouble but how they thought this would get them back on track is beyond me. Hard work. If you think having this in Blue-Ray or surround sound etc will improve it you are delusional I think a dose of the 68 special is in order. ::rocks

+1

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 pm

midnightx wrote:Some of the crowd shots can be construed as people laughing at Elvis, but those split-second shots are not overly obvious to the casual eye -- it is more of an issue for hardcore Elvis fans combing through the footage with watchful eyes.

This is true as there are a few other moments throughout the broadcast that could easily be attributed to this. But I can't let the issue with YGMAM slide. While I don't believe the producers inserted the laughter to be spiteful, I do think they misunderstood Elvis' performance style. That edit, to me, reflects how they felt about Elvis and if they thought it was funny...or at least thought that Elvis was trying to be funny...they just missed the mark. Could be an innocent mistake. I would think that when editors are in front of the task of trying to piece together something watchable with this trainwreck of a performance...the last thing they'd want to add is a jab or low blow to the performer. Elvis was right when he said "he needed all the help he could get..." but in this one particular case, the editors flubbed.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 am

rizzy56 wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Geoff

If you want to really know what people think about EIC then go to youtube Alot there give real opinions.
And while there midnightX why dont you watch all parts of it, so that you may know what your talking about next time.

A quick look at some "Elvis In Concert" youtube clips clearly shows plenty of negative remarks as well as lots of compassionate "so sad it came to this" talk. Why do you suggest midnightx's opinions are not "real".

On a side note, maybe the more familiar the images become, the less their ability to shock is? Certainly that way for me.

Like Delboy, not long ago I tried to sit through the "special" and couldn't get to the end. A few isolated moments aside, how anyone can get enjoyment from watching Elvis in that state, stumbling round a stage, serving up such terrible performances is beyond me.

I'm glad I'm not that type of fan.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:32 am

londonflash wrote:On a side note, maybe the more familiar the images become, the less their ability to shock is? Certainly that way for me..

I would agree. Unfortunately, many "fans" simply do not care. They don't care to figure out 1) why it is they want the footage, 2) how they feel about having the public reminded of this footage and 3) what they expect the general reaction will be once this footage is released. Somehow, they believe the public is ready for the footage and wouldn't blink an eye if it were released.

I still cannot understand how any sane fan can push for this footage to be officially released in its complete form.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:38 am

IMETJB wrote:
londonflash wrote:On a side note, maybe the more familiar the images become, the less their ability to shock is? Certainly that way for me..

I would agree. Unfortunately, many "fans" simply do not care. They don't care to figure out 1) why it is they want the footage, 2) how they feel about having the public reminded of this footage and 3) what they expect the general reaction will be once this footage is released. Somehow, they believe the public is ready for the footage and wouldn't blink an eye if it were released.

I still cannot understand how any sane fan can push for this footage to be officially released in its complete form.

Their was more damage done to elvis presleys image by so call impersonators than there was or will everybe done by the cbs footage.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 am

rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

Their was more damage done to elvis presleys image by so call impersonators than there was or will everybe done by the cbs footage.

Well, considering many of the impersonators got their inspiration from EIC, EIC still is the leader of the pack.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 am

IMETJB wrote:

i dont know about you but i as afan would rather watch EIC and feel the compassion for the artish, than see another impersonator or some dumb arse Mr potato head, pushed out there to make ajoke of his image.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:45 am

midnightx wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

Well, considering many of the impersonators got their inspiration from EIC, EIC still is the leader of the pack.

they were well there before 77

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:46 am

In a few shots, where the audience is in view behind Elvis, there is one audience member in particular that seems to be laughing at Elvis. That has always bothered me when I've watched...

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 am

A small-scale, cheap Mr. Potato Head gift shop collectible certainly doesn't have the same ability to reach and influence the masses like an official multi-media DVD release of the CBS Tapes. It is an odd parallel to draw.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 am

rizzy56 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
IMETJB wrote:

they were well there before 77

Really? Were they sweaty and overweight, mocking Elvis' image?