Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmxk6uKl ... r_embedded

Great:)

Re: Springfield June 17 1977 footage

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 am

Must have been a better evening than in Madison :wink:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:49 am

the most interesting thing about that was the way charlie hodge threw the cardboard fans note on the stage!~ :roll:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:41 am

YDKM wrote:the most interesting thing about that was the way charlie hodge threw the cardboard fans note on the stage!~ :roll:

1:07 - 1:11 is also pretty good!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 am

Can't help but found it sad to watch. He walks around like an stiff, old man. His state in June 1977 is known but it still is a sad sight.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Ohhhhh soo depressing :cry:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Obviously he is not well and in pain, given his limited movements.
On one hand i am glad that footage like this exists.... for the record.
But on the other hand i feel for Elvis... he should not have been there.
I agree with Lamar on this one: the Colonel ran Elvis into the ground.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

One of the very few totally elusive 77 dates.

I'd really like to hear this show as he was usually a little more "up" for opening and closing shows.

Looks all right to me. Not as sluggish as the all-time-low Madison.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:One of the very few totally elusive 77 dates.

I'd really like to hear this show as he was usually a little more "up" for opening and closing shows.

Looks all right to me. Not as sluggish as the all-time-low Madison.

i don't get it when you say it looks all right. Certainly you see then man is not well? Even when compared to even worse shows. Come on......

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Absolutely right. As a concert researcher this is an exciting find. It's damn near impossible to find ANYTHING on the Springfield show (No soundboard, I haven't seen an audience rec, no footage until this, not even a freakin' picture!), and it was the opener of the last tour!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:37 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Absolutely right. As a concert researcher this is an exciting find. It's damn near impossible to find ANYTHING on the Springfield show (No soundboard, I haven't seen an audience rec, no footage until this, not even a freakin' picture!), and it was the opener of the last tour!
Actually, there are pictures at elvisconcerts.com (where else!), and more can be found with a little effort. The reason for the scarcity of pictures is most likely the fact that none of the "big gun" photographers (Hill, Shaver et.al.) attended, and the only photos would be either those taken by fans or by local press photographers.
Here's one of the latter category, from the John Wilkinson book...
springfield.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm

That picture is just scary man.
Bad angle or a bad night?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:15 am

Robert wrote:That picture is just scary man.
Bad angle or a bad night?

What? Really? Jeez! Tough crowd!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 am

Blazej wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmxk6uKlch8&feature=player_embedded

8) Thank-you very much for this awesome find!!!!! I swear to God that there are people on this board that are payed to bash Elvis in 1977 non stop ad nauseum! Really cool opening movements by Elvis,and he just looks absolutely in charge and fine thank-you,thank-you very much!!!!! 8) :smt006 8)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:46 am

Scott Hayward wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Actually, there are pictures at elvisconcerts.com (where else!), and more can be found with a little effort. The reason for the scarcity of pictures is most likely the fact that none of the "big gun" photographers (Hill, Shaver et.al.) attended, and the only photos would be either those taken by fans or by local press photographers.
Here's one of the latter category, from the John Wilkinson book...
springfield.jpg

8) Nice pic! 8)

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:07 am

Thanks !! I'm glad to see this. This is a concert I'd promised to take my young daughter to see , but other things came up and we didn't make it. :( I promised her the next one ,I'd be sure she got to. Wish I'd let everything else go and just taken her. She never got to see him in concert. She's not let me forget it to this day.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:39 am

shawn wrote:

Thanks !! I'm glad to see this. This is a concert I'd promised to take my young daughter to see , but other things came up and we didn't make it. :( I promised her the next one ,I'd be sure she got to. Wish I'd let everything else go and just taken her. She never got to see him in concert. She's not let me forget it to this day.

I'm sorry to hear that you and your daughter missed out on seeing Elvis.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 pm

ian wrote:
shawn wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that you and your daughter missed out on seeing Elvis.

I saw Elvis in Oklahoma. She just wasn't with us. She was very mad when she found that some us had went and she didn't get to. I've regretted that ever since as at the time; it was her that was an Elvis fan. As a kid ,I guess she paid more attention than I did.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:42 am

ian wrote:I swear to God that there are people on this board that are payed [sic] to bash Elvis in 1977 non stop [sic] ad nauseum [sic]!

Wait, I think I hear God's reply:

"Quit swearing, ian, you are wrong."

::rocks

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:59 am

ian wrote "I swear to God that there are people on this board that are payed to bash Elvis in 1977"

good shout Ian................they are fans of Elvis but get a kick out of typing stuff they know will wind people up.............so just ignore them and that will wind them up.............they love it when people like you react to their sniping comments.....................trust me they are not worth it...............hope this helps.......

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 am

kevinstevenage wrote:ian wrote "I swear to God that there are people on this board that are payed to bash Elvis in 1977"

good shout Ian................they are fans of Elvis but get a kick out of typing stuff they know will wind people up.............so just ignore them and that will wind them up.............they love it when people like you react to their sniping comments.....................trust me they are not worth it...............hope this helps.......

Your passion is contagious! You will LOVE my next post.

:smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 am

John Wilkinson's book must have pulled the shot and caption from the local paper in August 1977.

Springfield News-Leader, Wednesday, August 17, 1977
Staff Photo: Bob Linder

It's unclear what's sadder, the photo itself, the caption noting "a packed house of 8700" or the fact that this was published exactly eight weeks after Elvis did the concert.

Bob Linder is still with the Springfield News-Leader today:
http://search.news-leader.com/sp?aff=1100&skin=&keywords=Bob%20Linder

He's a great photographer and has his own website:

Bob Linder Springfield Missouri Photographer
http://boblinderphotography.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=18277&AKey=BDS8CFNT&flM=2

Here are a few more shots by him from Springfield on June 17, 1977:

Photos: Bob Linder, Springfield News-Leader, June 17, 1977

You can tell these are the first two songs ("C.C. Rider," "I Got A Woman"). Media are generally shooed away from the front of the stage after the opening numbers.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:03 am

The smaller pictures don't look so bad. The large one looks like it's in a bad light or something . My daughter and I were someplace not too long after that and some concert pictures were on the walls. Don't think that store is even there anymore. The place it was held-- "a packed house of 8700" .It would indeed be considered packed. Called Hammons Student Center . Haven't been there in a long time either .
I did talk to John Wilkerson a few times when I was there. Nice guy.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:07 am

It is spelled "Wilkinson," like the blade.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:08 am

shawn wrote:The smaller pictures don't look so bad. The large one looks like it's in a bad light or something .

Maybe all the photos from 1977 are "in a bad light"?

shawn wrote:The place it was held-- "a packed house of 8700" .It would indeed be considered packed.

Right.

And it's sad that the most famous singer of the 20th century was playing one-nighters to "packed" arenas of 8700 people in second- and third-tier cities like Springfield, MO.