Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:18 am

i read more post about elvis caricature and how he looks at the end.....but maybe we are wrong...yesterday i was watching the final curtain and you see Elvis laughing and still have a great time on stage ,and in Ann Arbor he said to the public that his suit was to tide and maybe getting blue.What i want to say is that maybe Elvis didn't care that he was heavier or accept his new look like Esposito already said once.
I think maybe now it is ease to say he had must have changed things,,,but realize when you are performing every night for a sold out house with so many people yelling your the king..maybe you dont know or see that things are getting worse....and also for his entourage...he gave in Pittsburg maybe 1 of his best performance,......so who are going to say He you must change things...
and offcourse ttwii was 1 of the best years,but when you watching the final curtain he still have a lot off fun.
i guess if he didn't die in 77 he would be back in the 80's with a other style

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:30 am

i do know ...if elvis did for the money because you always hear he didn't care for money...it is a piity how he changed....but did we ever hear from people close to him how his own reaction was...about his looks

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 am

The human mind can play tricks on you.

I'll watch him during the June 21, 1977 concert and just be going "pathetic," but then there is a spot at the end - where he's backstage leaving and joking with Ed Parker - and looking almost normal.

The truth is that Elvis truly was a wreck, but I think almost everybody in the circle was blind to it. Whether it was due to their own vices or not.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 am

maybe he was not so wreck as we think just heavy

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:56 am

It's funny how everyone wants Elvis to be a fat, sickly, unstable, drug crazed, miserable, not allowed to be happy or laugh honestly, go into the light Carol Anne type. Maybe you're the ones who fit that discription and love to wish that on other people because drama sells?

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't think that there are many people around here, who believe that in 1976/77 everything was depression and darkness. Of course there were moments of fun and of course there were days that were good.

But compared to his earlier years even the good days of 1977 were pretty weak. Elvis was bloated and obviously sick. Even though he was better than usual in Ann Abor or Rapid City, the shows were still a far cry of what he once was able to deliver.

I just can speak for myself, but when I write or say something negative, it has nothing to do with a lack of acceptance. In contrast, it means that I accept the truth, even though I wish it had been differently. Calling Elvis a Junkie Deluxe or a bloated shadow of his former self has nothing to do with not accepting him. I am just able to accept the way it was and still enjoying his music. Elvis messed up his life and lost it. That happens to a lot of people and most of them are not even famous. It's nothing unusual.

Just don't make Elvis your hero. He wasn't one. I love Elvis because of his voice and because of the way he sang. Nobody could express feelings the way he could and at his best he was a hell of an entertainer. Very funny, very charming and with a lot of humor.

So I think that I accept Elvis much more than those, who constantly trying to re-write history.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:56 pm

The ones who don't feel the need to constantly embroider upon the negative themes are the ones who accept him, surely.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 pm

i think that lhe was sick those last years and on drugs , but i think we also made a mistake ,when you hear the telephone convesation with elvis and red west 77 and your hear the rehearsel from the jungle room session you dont hear a weird person who is on drugs ,he just speak just normal with a sense of humor.
so let we not say always that he was totall out of the world those last years

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 pm

ep2 wrote:i think that lhe was sick those last years and on drugs , but i think we also made a mistake ,when you hear the telephone convesation with elvis and red west 77 and your hear the rehearsel from the jungle room session you dont hear a weird person who is on drugs ,he just speak just normal with a sense of humor.
so let we not say always that he was totall out of the world those last years


Elvis had a very bad eating habit and that was a big part of his health problems.
Sure Elvis had some moments that wasnt all bad during the last year of his life.....most people
have some good times no matter how bad the situasion is.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 pm

there are not so much off stories of the last period .....does anybody know what he did those last 6 weeks

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 pm

ep2 wrote:i think that lhe was sick those last years and on drugs , but i think we also made a mistake ,when you hear the telephone convesation with elvis and red west 77 and your hear the rehearsel from the jungle room session you dont hear a weird person who is on drugs ,he just speak just normal with a sense of humor.
so let we not say always that he was totall out of the world those last years
I haven't heard that phone conversation in quite some time. Is there anywhere to listen to it again?

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 am

does anybody have info about elvis those last 6 weeks

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am

ep2 wrote:i read more post about elvis caricature and how he looks at the end.....but maybe we are wrong...yesterday i was watching the final curtain and you see Elvis laughing and still have a great time on stage ,and in Ann Arbor he said to the public that his suit was to tide and maybe getting blue.What i want to say is that maybe Elvis didn't care that he was heavier or accept his new look like Esposito already said once.
I think maybe now it is ease to say he had must have changed things,,,but realize when you are performing every night for a sold out house with so many people yelling your the king..maybe you dont know or see that things are getting worse....and also for his entourage...he gave in Pittsburg maybe 1 of his best performance,......so who are going to say He you must change things...
and offcourse ttwii was 1 of the best years,but when you watching the final curtain he still have a lot off fun.
i guess if he didn't die in 77 he would be back in the 80's with a other style


When I look at The Final Curtain, I do not see someone having a ball. When I watch the CBS-TV Special footage, I do not see someone who is feeling great about his "new look."

The fact that we did lose him in the summer of 1977 underscores the ongoing tragedy of the period.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 am

ep2 wrote:i read more post about elvis caricature and how he looks at the end.....i guess if he didn't die in 77 he would be back in the 80's with a other style


I think discussing what could have been has nothing to do with NOT accepting Elvis was very ill in his last years. He may still have had a lot of fun but if you listen to the mediocre performances in the summer of 1976 or watch the entire Omaha, June 19, 1977 concert one can only draw the conclusion that it is a tragic sight. A lot of the discussions around here are about "What IF". Our man died 35 years ago. It is not that strange that considering the very tragic circumstances and the young age the discussions are the way the are around here: "What if..."
Last edited by Alexander on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:45 am

You know when I listen to most of the 1975 shows or the shows at the end of 1976 that he was overweight doesn't bother me at all. It's only when the shows themselves went downhill that it really becomes a problem . I can enjoy selected 1977 shows on some level because I still think Elvis possesed a unqiue talent. Yes he did have a little fun here and there in the last year or two, and I can enjoy that for what it is. Still when I go back to the early seventies it was a different guy. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy Elvis in his last years at times, (in fact despite it being a patchwork I really enjoy most of the music on Moody Blue)but it is sad how it turned out. I accept what happened, and I don't judge him because I don't think many people could be "ELVIS" and not have it affect them. Still who doesn''t wish he was able to turn it around? To me that would have been great even if that meant putting his career on hold for an indefinite amount of time.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm

ep2 wrote:
he gave in Pittsburg maybe 1 of his best performance,......


It was a good show and Elvis performed well as he did on the whole of that short Dec 76 tour but it is nowhere near one of his best.It gave hope that things could get better again but unfortunatley it was a false dawn.

norrie

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 pm

are there no quotes from elvis regarding his last period......or stories of Charlie or Joe ,Billy did he never talked about it in someway....

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 pm

ep2 wrote:are there no quotes from elvis regarding his last period......or stories of Charlie or Joe ,Billy did he never talked about it in someway....

Actually, he did.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 pm

you cant find a lot in books about the last weeks and months...

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 pm

ep2 wrote:you cant find a lot in books about the last weeks and months...

Sure you can.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:45 am

The second Hopkins and Guralnick, most books by Elvis' friends, Broske and Brown's book, Death Of Elvis, there are many many accounts of the last years. Some are white washes, some are tabloidish, but all will give you a general idea of the period. The Concert Years and Elvis Concerts cover the period with pictures and text if you are looking for a career overview of the time.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am

I didn't say they were all one or the other, but many were. I feel all of these sort of books are hard to use if you want to document cold hard facts (Geller's may be the exception if he did indeed keep the diary back then). They do have value and they do give insight, but I feel I learn more about the people around Elvis then Elvis.

As far as those two go, I like Geller's, but it's hard to take everything he says as hard core truth. It is good for a book of that sort though. I would rank it very high if he took out that bogus cancer story.

Nash I never liked and her other Elvis books proved my hunch about her right. She plays up dirt to sell books. I know many like her, and this book, but that is what I gather from reading anything with her name on it. It is just my view. Yes Revelations had new info, but a lot of things are slanted or presented without any sort of understanding. Billy's stuff is decent, but Lamar seemed to focus on the worst of who Elvis was. Marty was at least honest about his own behavior, but he comments on a lot of things he wasn't there for. I have read this four times now, knowing many love it. Myself not so much because I don't think it respects Elvis.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:43 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I didn't say they were all one or the other, but many were. I feel all of these sort of books are hard to use if you want to document cold hard facts (Geller's may be the exception if he did indeed keep the diary back then). They do have value and they do give insight, but I feel I learn more about the people around Elvis then Elvis.

As far as those two go, I like Geller's, but it's hard to take everything he says as hard core truth. It is good for a book of that sort though. I would rank it very high if he took out that bogus cancer story.

Nash I never liked and her other Elvis books proved my hunch about her right. She plays up dirt to sell books. I know many like her, and this book, but that is what I gather from reading anything with her name on it. It is just my view. Yes Revelations had new info, but a lot of things are slanted or presented without any sort of understanding. Billy's stuff is decent, but Lamar seemed to focus on the worst of who Elvis was. Marty was at least honest about his own behavior, but he comments on a lot of things he wasn't there for. I have read this four times now, knowing many love it. Myself not so much because I don't think it respects Elvis.
The problem is that Elvis wasn't going to write a tell all book or run to the media to tell his side of things. There are always two sides to every story and when it comes to Elvis that is definitely the case. If you notice, everyone Elvis was surrounded by only tells their side of the story, they tell people what they heard from someone else because they weren't one of the witnesses. It's like the game of Telephone and after hearing the stories so many times in many different forms, some author like Nash will run with it even if those stories were never true to begin with. You are correct when you say that you have learned more about the people around Elvis than Elvis himself because he never really spoke up about much, I mean he has about certain topics, just not a tell all type thing. Between the people who worked for Elvis, people related to him, people who married into the Presley family, people who performed with him on stage and in the studios, the women/girls that came and went in his life, they all have had their hand in playing Telephone and even starting rumors. Without Elvis who is the source, the one to set the record straight, we’re only getting one side of the story.

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:57 pm

Mike Eder: "Billy's stuff is decent, but Lamar seemed to focus on the worst of who Elvis was. Marty was at least honest about his own behavior, but he comments on a lot of things he wasn't there for. I have read this four times now, knowing many love it. Myself not so much because I don't think it respects Elvis."

200% agree with you. Marty writes things like: "Elvis was stoned all the month after the wedding because he was very unhappy"
To me this quote is very hard to believe. Or Lamar "Maybe Elvis began to take drugs before, but after that he was too busy to do that" How credit we can gave to this? Billy is decent, and the book have a lot of interesting things but a lot are contradictions and dubious

Re: ACCEPT ELVIS

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:58 am

I hate it when someone makes a big deal about Elvis during the last two-three years that he was fat, drugged out, etc.
Hey, What about those years 1954 to 1974? He was great and looked great! You cannot stay perfect as you get older.
I will always love Elvis no matter what! Good show, bad show,good hair, bad hair, good songs, bad songs, good movie, bad movie, good concert or a bad concert...I love it all and it 's part of History. Also, some of the things are private and if we find out some things are bad...really it's nobody's business. Elvis is who he is and I will always accept Elvis and ALWAYS LOVE ELVIS!!!