Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: the song i'm leavin

Tue May 24, 2011 9:06 am

Its my all time favourite Elvis track. The intro is the finest piece of playing ever.

Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 am

quite a good song superbly sung by Elvis. His delivery is perfect for the material. should have been a top ten hit. For me, the same is true of Kentucky Rain. A good song superbly sung and yet it stalled in the 20's (in Britain). I thought that was a number one .

Tue May 24, 2011 11:46 pm

kevinstevenage wrote:quite a good song superbly sung by Elvis. His delivery is perfect for the material. should have been a top ten hit. For me, the same is true of Kentucky Rain. A good song superbly sung and yet it stalled in the 20's (in Britain). I thought that was a number one .

Kentucky Rain is a vastly superior track, in every way.

That should have been a bigger hit.

Tue May 24, 2011 11:56 pm

londonflash wrote:
kevinstevenage wrote:quite a good song superbly sung by Elvis. His delivery is perfect for the material. should have been a top ten hit. For me, the same is true of Kentucky Rain. A good song superbly sung and yet it stalled in the 20's (in Britain). I thought that was a number one .

Agreed. Kentucky Rain has a superior vocal, arrangement, melody, lyrical content, and production.

Wed May 25, 2011 1:03 am

midnightx wrote:
londonflash wrote:

Agreed. Kentucky Rain has a superior vocal, arrangement, melody, lyrical content, and production.

Chips and Elvis really worked on that. I don't think Felton pushed Elvis hard enough on this one.

Geoff

Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 am

londonflash wrote:Kentucky Rain is a vastly superior track, in every way.

Yes, and there's obviously a good reason why " I'm Leavin' " didn't appear on an LP until 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.
The song was nothing to brag about (and still isn't).

Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 am

chevyford wrote:Yes, and there's obviously a good reason why " I'm Leavin' " didn't appear on an LP until 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.

Can't agree with you there.

Most of the songs cut in 1971 ended up on LP within 18 months.

And most are inferior to "I'm Leavin'" in almost every respect.

Wed May 25, 2011 5:36 am

I do like it, but wish it were tighter, with a less generic arrangement...the instruments are fine, but not spectacular. Well played, but lacking killer fills. Also, it takes too long to get to the tortured vocal...I have never been a fan of the la-la-la part.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
chevyford wrote:Yes, and there's obviously a good reason why " I'm Leavin' " didn't appear on an LP until 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.

Can't agree with you there.

Most of the songs cut in 1971 ended up on LP within 18 months.

And most are inferior to "I'm Leavin'" in almost every respect.

I agree with not agreeing, if that makes sense.
This song and performance are miles ahead of many tracks that made albums.

Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 pm

chevyford wrote:

Yes, and there's obviously a good reason why " I'm Leavin' " didn't appear on an LP until 1980's Elvis Aron Presley.

I'm Leavin was on the 1974 LP HITS OF THE 70'S

Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 pm

It is one of my favourites since the first time hearing it. I did buy the single in the 70's used and full witch scratches....didn't bother me a bit.!

Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Elvis sure loved I'm Leavin song! He sang it on stages from July 1971 through December 1975.

An interesting and long(!) interview about Michael Jarrett, who wrote that song, by Arjan Deelen could be found here: http://www.elvisnews.dk/Main.htm Go to "Other Elvis Stuff" and click Michael Jarrett Interview.

Wed May 25, 2011 8:59 pm

PetriTCB wrote:Elvis sure loved I'm Leavin song! He sang it on stages from July 1971 through December 1975.

An interesting and long(!) interview about Michael Jarrett, who wrote that song, by Arjan Deelen could be found here: http://www.elvisnews.dk/Main.htm Go to "Other Elvis Stuff" and click Michael Jarrett Interview.

yes he did a fine version in Boston Garden.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 pm

I love 'I'm Leavin' one of my favourites. Shame it wasn't a bigger hit but it did reach #23 here in the U.K.
'Kentucky Rain' is another great song that didn't do so well chart wise.

Thu May 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Elvis at his best
Is there any outtakes of this song available?

Thu May 26, 2011 7:05 pm

I did an audio interview , you can find it here.
http://www.elvis2001.net/Michael%20Jarr ... erview.htm

Joe K
www.elvis2001.net

Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 pm

promiseland wrote:Elvis at his best
Is there any outtakes of this song available?

Yes, there are outtakes; takes 1-3 are here:

Elvis Now (FTD, 2010)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/elvisnowftd.html

Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Elvis2001.net wrote:I did an audio interview , you can find it here.
http://www.elvis2001.net/Michael%20Jarr ... erview.htm

Joe K

Thanks for good interview! It was even stereo! Very interesting!

Fri May 27, 2011 5:02 am

kevinstevenage wrote:
chevyford wrote:

I'm Leavin was on the 1974 LP HITS OF THE 70'S

I was speaking of U.S. releases.

Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 am

chevyford wrote:I was speaking of U.S. releases.

Check out my reply.

Fri May 27, 2011 7:23 am

Mike Eder wrote:I think it should be one of his best known songs. Personally I find it perfect.

I agree.

Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 am

Great thread! Funny to see all these very different opinions. One loves it, one almost hates it! Personally it's right there up with Petunia! No, just kidding.....I do like it. In the outtakes I find the drums part very very good. I don't know who that drummer is and if it indeed is really special what this guy is doing, but I never noticed it on the master (maybe because of overdubs or something?). But I do love the drum part on those outtakes!

Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 pm

For years, I only had this song on a 'Reader's Digest' boxset, and I never listened to it. It was only when I went looking for Elvis songs I was unfamiliar with that I stumbled across it..

To my ears, 'I'm Leavin'' is a very believable song the way Elvis sang it. His voice at the time had that wobbly unsure sound to it, which suited some songs, but not all. It suited this. He sounds like his heart is breaking, and considering the nature of the song in question, he couldn't have sung it better IMO.

The powers that be may have considered 'Hey Jude' to be a selling point, and hence include it on 'Elvis Now'.. but I for one can't believe they didn't include 'I'm Leavin' instead..

Fri May 27, 2011 3:13 pm

That way, we had to buy both the singles and the albums.

I detect the hand of Colonel behind this strategy.

Geoff

Fri May 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Its my all time favourite Elvis track. The intro is the finest piece of playing ever.

Finest piece of playing ever?! P-lease?!