http://www.ina.fr/video/I10278324/john- ... ck.fr.html

Re: Video ; in 1975, Lennon talked about elvis

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 pm

tcb4 wrote:hello

interesting interview
i guess it was made by french tv

Good guess!

Yeah, it's interesting. Grudging admission that Elvis did some good stuff after the army. He's right that he changed.

Steve L.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:42 pm

stevelecher wrote:

interesting interview

Good guess!

Yeah, it's interesting. Grudging admission that Elvis did some good stuff after the army. He's right that he changed.

I don't think he changed.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 pm

brian wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

interesting interview

Good guess!

You are so right, the guy who dazzled audiences and music listeners with Jailhouse Rock was the same guy who tore it up in Clambake.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 pm

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

interesting interview

Good guess!

You are so right, the guy who dazzled audiences and music listeners with Jailhouse Rock was the same guy who tore it up in Clambake.

That's not what i mean.

Elvis always had an eclectic taste in music it's just that when he got out of the army he began showing that off a lot more.

If Colonel Parker had told Elvis to make Clambake or any other bad movie in the 1950's he would have but fortunately it never came to that then.

To people like John Lennon it appeared that Elvis had changed as a person because he started doing more ballads and making mediocre or bad movies.
He was no longer the rockin rebel etc.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

tcb4 wrote:interesting interview

http://www.ina.fr/video/I10278324/john-lennon-a-propos-d-elvis-et-ses-debuts-dans-le-rock.fr.html

This was filmed at the Dakota in New York on March 18, 1975 for the French TV program "Un Jour Future." Journalist Jean-Francois Vallee's piece was called "Il Elait Une Fois John Lennon" ("Once Upon A Time There Was John Lennon").

In some fashion it seems John does acknowledge the success of Elvis' 1968-69 comeback, but he is not off base by making the claim that something changed after the army era.

Still, it's significant how strongly Lennon ranks Presley in his list of influences. He didn't have to be so forthright, but he chose to because it is what he honestly believed.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Fascinating video, thanks: new to me.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 pm

what lennon says in this interview

i m an elvis' fan

elvis made me quit liverpool

the army cut him his bullocks

there were some good stuff after the army

it wasnt the same thing psychologically

our rock n roll wasnt the same intensity

the beatles were more naïve than him

the real difference is that elvis had guys writing for him

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 pm

brian wrote:If Colonel Parker had told Elvis to make Clambake or any other bad movie in the 1950's he would have but fortunately it never came to that then.

Actually, it's likely Elvis would not have cut submitted tracks like "Clambake" or "Hey Hey Hey" in 1957. The "walk out" incident during the Wednesday, May 1, 1957 "Jailhouse Rock" soundtrack session for MGM is a perfect example of Presley balking at anyone interfering with his artistic process.

brian wrote:To people like John Lennon it appeared that Elvis had changed as a person because he started doing more ballads and making mediocre or bad movies.

No, Lennon makes quite clear what changed was a matter of aesthetic choices. The pre-Army Elvis "had the power," as D.J. Fontana later recalled. Presley knew what he wanted to sing, and what he wanted to be. Again, refer the above example. The post-Army Elvis allowed management to dictate all aspects of his art and career, and we all know how that worked out.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 pm

tcb4 wrote:what lennon says in this interview

i m an elvis' fan

elvis made me quit liverpool

the army cut him his bullocks

there were some good stuff after the army

it wasnt the same thing psychologically

our rock n roll wasnt the same intensity

the beatles were more naïve than him

the real difference is that elvis had guys writing for him

Not quite.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 pm

in the early 60's, EP sang songs in the same spirit of the 50's ; to give only one i'd say 'night rider' .
why talking first of his movies ? in the early 60's elvis was a singer who did movies ( not the opposite ).
the truth is that lennon had many anti-military ideas and if only he had said sth like "elvis was not the same after the rca recordings in 1957", it would have been more fair !

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 pm

tcb4 wrote:the truth is that lennon had many anti-military ideas ...

No, Lennon was an anti-war advocate, that's a little different.

Are you trying to tell us you are pro-war?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:the truth is that lennon had many anti-military ideas ...

No, Lennon was an anti-war advocate, that's a little different.

Are you trying to tell us you are pro-war?

I see Lennon as a peace advocate, i guess that's a little different from anti-war.

And Elvis did change during his stint. I think Parker did things on purpose to make Elvis obedient. Sometimes i even suspect Parker of promoting the use of narcotics as a way to make Elvis dependent on him.

"Elvis is back" is a masterpiece in my view, and is proof that Elvis still had all the artistic abilities intact and growing. But how could the movie years happen: somehow Parker had Elvis by the balls when he came back from the army. And for the remainder of his career and life Elvis was unable to get this monkey off his back. I am sure there was blackmail of some kind involved. Who but Parker had such a strong influence on his private life?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:11 am

Observations:

1) in the eyes of the public Elvis was still releasing great gutsy music whilst in the army ("One Night" etc), as such, the change in Elvis only became apparent once he'd returned from the army.

2) Elvis still recorded outstanding RnR music while in the army (June 1958 Nashville): if anything was going to break his spirit it was the induction period but this session makes it clear that he was still in full possession of his powers. I'd suggest the real catalyst for the change in Elvis was the death of his mother in August 1958.

3) Had RCA professionally recorded/filmed/released the 1961 gigs at the time I suspect that the perceived opinion of the castrated post-army Elvis might be easier to deny.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

http://www.ina.fr/video/I10278324/john-lennon-a-propos-d-elvis-et-ses-debuts-dans-le-rock.fr.html

This was filmed at the Dakota in New York on March 18, 1975 for the French TV program "Un Jour Future." Journalist Jean-Francois Vallee's piece was called "Il Elait Une Fois John Lennon" ("Once Upon A Time There Was John Lennon").

In some fashion it seems John does acknowledge the success of Elvis' 1968-69 comeback, but he is not off base by making the claim that something changed after the army era.

Still, it's significant how strongly Lennon ranks Presley in his list of influences. He didn't have to be so forthright, but he chose to because it is what he honestly believed.

"something changed after the army era"

Well, to some ....change is growth. Otherwise you are stagnant.

After 1970, "something changed" for each and every Beatle.

individually each one didn't make the same quality of music as before.

John and Paul had some moments of that old spark, but it was never like the glory days.
Everyone changes. Some better, some worse.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:38 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

John and Paul had some moments of that old spark, but it was never like the glory days.

Yes, and as bad as some of Paul's solo work was, he never quite laid an "Easy Come, Easy Go" egg. But your point is well-taken. Change is unavoidable. The Beatles ceased to work as a band before they could deliver any significant duds.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I would say John, Paul, and George lived almost up to group standard with their very early solo stuff (that in John's case didn't have Yoko on vocals).Somtime In New York City, Wild Life, and Livng In The Material World kind of ended that for them. Walls and Bridges, Band On The Run, Cloud Nine, all came close but weren't quite Bealtes standard

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:10 am

Elvis did change his style to some extent after the Army but I think 1960 as a whole was as good as 1954-58. GI Blues was a little corny but so was Love Me Tender.

As far as managment control I think it was there to some extent even in 1956 ie Steve Allen show the Love Me Tender soundtrack and the fact that his band didn't play on it, As years went by Elvis did get more passive to his detriment but I think Elvis always had some degree of artistic input. Take It Happened At The Worlds Fair. It was his worst album to date but he did get to do some Don Robertson ballads that I'm certain he would have recorded in a regular session. I'm not defending the way his career went because this was an artist that should never have been given a routine, but I don't think he lost his vision as much as he changed it over time.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:36 am

epf wrote:I see Lennon as a peace advocate, i guess that's a little different from anti-war.

John certainly was that, and he put that advocacy to work in stellar songs like "Give Peace A Chance" and "Imagine."

But he also marched in anti-Vietnam War rallies in the 1970s, and issued a single entitled "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" in 1971, one of his finest solo works. So placing one description above the other would be false.

George Smith wrote:Observations:

1) in the eyes of the public Elvis was still releasing great gutsy music whilst in the army ("One Night" etc), as such, the change in Elvis only became apparent once he'd returned from the army.

2) Elvis still recorded outstanding RnR music while in the army (June 1958 Nashville): if anything was going to break his spirit it was the induction period but this session makes it clear that he was still in full possession of his powers. I'd suggest the real catalyst for the change in Elvis was the death of his mother in August 1958.

3) Had RCA professionally recorded/filmed/released the 1961 gigs at the time I suspect that the perceived opinion of the castrated post-army Elvis might be easier to deny.

Agree on all points. Well-summarized, too.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:44 am

ekenee wrote:After 1970, "something changed" for each and every Beatle.

That "quality" statement is patently false, and your analogy doesn't apply to Lennon's comment.

Others have already cited some of the top-shelf solo releases.

It should be obvious that Lennon was making note of how Elvis let go of the self-determination which was a part of his ascension to greatness in the 1950s; the break-up of the Beatles did not mean each suddenly let go of their adherence to certain standards in order to make a quick buck.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:After 1970, "something changed" for each and every Beatle.

That "quality" statement is patently false, and your analogy doesn't apply to Lennon's comment.

Others have already cited some of the top-shelf solo releases.

It should be obvious that Lennon was making note of how Elvis let go of the self-determination which was a part of his ascension to greatness in the 1950s; the break-up of the Beatles did not mean each suddenly let go of their adherence to certain standards in order to make a quick buck.

I am just saying, who is John Lennon to talk.
His quality of material post Beatles was a drop in quality.

Yes, he had a few songs that are part of his legend, but as a whole, he didn't come thru with quality
on his many solo albums, and neither did Paul.

I have heard all those solo albums, and many of them are mediorce. And that is being kind.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 am

ekenee wrote:I am just saying, who is John Lennon to talk.

He's fricking JOHN LENNON.

End of discussion.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:43 am

I agree with John Lennon that Presley was a different man after leaving the army. The main problem was the film soundtracks and how bad many of them were! There are fine examples of Elvis`s power from the studio, but the bad outweighed the good, and when he was on his game in the 60`s, the film fluff that proceded it casts a dark cloud over the great recordings. I`m quite sure that many have asked themselves this question, "when is Elvis going to get his act together" and some almost gave up. The true fan is well aware of the high spots, but there always seemed to be rain falling from the cloud shortly after. Thanks to Ernst and company, the 60`s box eased the pain a hell of alot.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:48 am

It has been said the Colonel helped engineer the drafting of Elvis because he was getting too hard to control. It was designed to make Elvis dependent on Parker for the next two years and to give him a lot of doubt about his career and his ability to stay on top.

I would still like to know why Elvis allowed his movie career to degenerate as it did and that he did not seek out other independent consel. His mother's death is a huge factor in his going off track.

Steve L.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Still, it's significant how strongly Lennon ranks Presley in his list of influences. He didn't have to be so forthright, but he chose to because it is what he honestly believed.

Yes and Lennon would continue to praise Elvis right up to the very end. Early rock 'n' roll was the music Lennon cherished most at age 16 and at age 40.