Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A Letter Supposedly From EP himself from July 1977

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 pm

A letter complimenting an ETA artist....judge for yourself......
I suppose he typed this right before the poolside interview, :smt003

Re: A Letter Supposedly From EP himself from July 1977

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:48 am

If this is really from Graceland,it was probably written by a secretary....

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:43 am

Elvis had nothing to do with writing that letter.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:31 am

"mimcry"?

If E didn't know how to spell "mimicry" one would hope the secretary would.

T

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 am

terbon4 wrote:"mimcry"?

If E didn't know how to spell "mimicry" one would hope the secretary would.

T

Maybe Vernon wrote it....

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 am

Elvis was not a good speller.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Just a kind letter from a secretary.The Elvis conventions held in Memphis prior to his death did feature impersonators.Vernon would donate items from Graceland to be used as prize drawings for charity.Things like lamps and other little pieces.This relationship with the convention is probably the reason the letter was written.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm

What information do you have about fan conventions p[rior to EP's death?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:What information do you have about fan conventions p[rior to EP's death?

As far as?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Of course he didnt type it! Isnt it possible that Elvis approved the letter and signed it.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 pm

jak wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:What information do you have about fan conventions p[rior to EP's death?

As far as?

As anything, I was not aware of Memphis based EP Conventions.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I think many people are not aware the Elvis conventions started before Elvis died.My wife attended some of them back then.In 76 Vester let her use the phone in the guard house to call the hotel to ask some kind of question regarding the convention.They were always in a hotel not far from Graceland.One year she won some red carpet fragments from Graceland Vernon donated.She also won some some keys that came from a car Elvis had at some point.She's got stacks of photo's around somewhere.The impersonators were still a novelty at that point and always caused a big stir when they performed.At the 76 event she took several photo's of a female impersonator who performed.The wife said everybody went nuts watching her.Maybe I can dig something out and post some pics.Those were good times.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 pm

You can see this topic from october 2010 --->

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56692

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis had nothing to do with writing that letter.

Hey DJC!

Did Elvis' secretaries actually mimic Elvis' signature? If they did that it seems a little wrong to me. If Elvis couldn't or wouldn't sign a letter they should have used a stamp, in my opinion.
I would have hated to be a youngster growing up thinking I had a legit letter from Elvis only to find out it was a fake and I had been "tricked" by the staff at Graceland with the approval of Elvis!

Tony~

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:54 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Did Elvis' secretaries actually mimic Elvis' signature? If they did that it seems a little wrong to me. If Elvis couldn't or wouldn't sign a letter they should have used a stamp, in my opinion.
I would have hated to be a youngster growing up thinking I had a legit letter from Elvis only to find out it was a fake and I had been "tricked" by the staff at Graceland with the approval of Elvis!

Me too. But when I was a kid I wrote cartoonist Charles Shultz, and I got a reply. Initially, I thought it was a personal note, but soon realized it was a form letter. I still treasure and have it today.

The Presley secretaries were doing forged signatures as far back as the 50s.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 am

Many of the Memphis Mafia forged signatures also...sometimes when they were bored they would go into the offices and help with the mail. I've seen Sonny West sign Elvis autograph in Stein Eric Skars book a while back during Elvis week also. This book was written well after Elvis passed and he did it as a tongue in cheek joke/favor for a friend.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 am

I asked my wife about those early Elvis conventions.They were organized by the "Official Graceland Fan Club".Harold Lloyd was always involved also.Gary Pepper would also be there.If you belonged to the club back then you would have seen the conventions promoted in the newsletter.I am going to try and find some pics to post.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Ive heard that they used to sign letters for Elvis but Elvis did write the occasional letter as well.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Siv Anderson wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Elvis was not a good speller.

He'd have fit in nicely here on FECC then!
You got that right!

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:40 am

This one's genuine. Written to a fan in Rochdale, UK in 1963!
EP LETTER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Tim C wrote:Many of the Memphis Mafia forged signatures also...sometimes when they were bored they would go into the offices and help with the mail. I've seen Sonny West sign Elvis autograph in Stein Eric Skars book a while back during Elvis week also. This book was written well after Elvis passed and he did it as a tongue in cheek joke/favor for a friend.

I have had the same conversation with Sonny many times about others signing for Elvis. Note the signature he did at the bottom to prove his point. Its not badly done.

Joe K
http://www.elvis2001.net

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Elvis was not a good speller.

How do you know that? Didn't Elvis in the 60's even buy books because of his interest regardings words etc? He even told his friends to join him in doing that.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Being able to read well didn't mean he can spell well.

As for fan conventions, isn't one featured in the original cut of TTWII?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am

I have a copy of this from when I was in Memphis. Plus of course my original from '77 :-)

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 pm

jak wrote:I asked my wife about those early Elvis conventions.They were organized by the "Official Graceland Fan Club".Harold Lloyd was always involved also.Gary Pepper would also be there.If you belonged to the club back then you would have seen the conventions promoted in the newsletter.I am going to try and find some pics to post.

I have a question... Does anyone have a copy of what Gary wrote for the "Official Graceland Fan Club" after Elvis passed away? I asked Graceland and they said they never had a fan club called that, so I am wondering what this is and where I can find a copy of what Gary wrote..
Any information would be greatly appreciated! :-)