Post Here All Reviews Of Books/Magazines

Elvis In The Beat of The Night.

Thu May 10, 2007 11:40 pm

This Heartwarming Book is Written by Retired Police Captain Bob Ferguson, who was incidentally interviewed by Peter Guralnick for his Award winning Book Last Train to Memphis. Ferguson, after Elvis's death, had gone round the different Fire and Police Houses and Videotaped Interviews ( used by Guralnick for His Book ) with some of the crew that had been lucky enough to have Elvis ''work'' with them on their shifts, and it's Their stories the Author is telling.

The Book is a short one at only 158 Pages Long but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It starts off with a very young Elvis stopping off at His local Fire Station on a Saturday Afternoon on his way to the local Record Shop and finishes with the Officers recalling August 16th 1977 and after the Viewing of Elvis's Body at Graceland.

I don't want to spoil the Book for Anyone thinking of getting it but, I just wanted to tell in My words the Author's own Story regarding Elvis. Ferguson's Partner was a Friend of Elvis's who had gone to School with Him at Humes and they had kept in touch. When they were on duty they would stop by the Memphian Theatre where Elvis was having one of His all night Parties. He was amazed at how Elvis would leave his group of Friends and go over to , talk with them, only going back reluctantly, but not before asking what calls they had received through the night......he was always inquisitive about Police work. He would always invite the Guys up to Graceland but they never took the opportunity. Maybe it was because they didn't want anything from Him, that He was able to feel like one of them...be one of the ''Guys'' and open up to them. I want to thank them for that because it means Elvis got a great deal of enjoyment from it and that's a good thing.

There isn't any rare photo's as such ...only of the Officers and Buildings mentioned in the Book but there is a Photo of a Special Order that was given out once a Week.The one given out on the 26th August 1977 said...

Name........Presley E.
Rank.........Honory Reserve Capt. Reserves. Deceased.

I have posted the front cover photo in the Picture Section.
Last edited by Little Darlin on Fri May 11, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 am

Cool review Carol - got me intrigued and sounds like a "must have" for me!
Thanks very much, would never have heard of this without you! :)

Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 pm

I think I will get it, thanks LD!

Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Just got my copy of this book this morning - it is "unputdownable"

Many thanks Carol for bringing it to my (our) attention. :)

Sat May 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Elvis_Priestly wrote:Just got my copy of this book this morning - it is "unputdownable"

Many thanks Carol for bringing it to my (our) attention. :)

Hey Father Conor that's Cool!!

Hope Your Dad likes it too.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:42 pm

cool review - Carol.- really loved reading it - :wink:

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 am

Good review.

He was amazed at how Elvis would leave his group of Friends and go over to , talk with them, only going back reluctantly,

.... if only Elvis has made more 'ordinary' friends??

Re: Elvis In The Beat of The Night.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Good review Carol. Btw where can we get this book? I've looked in all the bookshops in town and can't find it. I'm in England.

Yeah, it's true I used Wartrol to get rid of my warts.
Last edited by DustinReichelt on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:21 pm

I can't get it either as the website for it closed.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:46 am

Amazon & Biblio have copies to be found:
http://www.biblio.com/books/400521159.html
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Beat-Night- ... 918&sr=1-1