Post here your Elvis' pictures

1969 Candid at Graceland Front Door

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Found this on Billy Stanley's facebook page. It's a photo of our man with Billy's Cousin Teresa outside the front door of Graceland. Never seen it before. He reckons it's 1962 but it looks more like '69 to me....anyway, a nice photo all the same

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by memphis1935 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New To My Eyes Candid

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 pm

memphis1935 wrote:Found this on Billy Stanley's facebook page. It's a photo of our man with Billy's Cousin Teresa outside the front door of Graceland. Never seen it before. He reckons it's 1962 but it looks more like '69 to me....anyway, a nice photo all the same ...

1962? What's with the sideburns and wedding ring Elvis is sporting?

Oh yes, the ever-reliable Billy Stanley. Have you read his book? It's supposed to be essential reading.

Anyway, great shot, new to me as well. It looks to be circa May-June 1969.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphis1935 wrote:Found this on Billy Stanley's facebook page. It's a photo of our man with Billy's Cousin Teresa outside the front door of Graceland. Never seen it before. He reckons it's 1962 but it looks more like '69 to me....anyway, a nice photo all the same ...

Oh yes, the ever-reliable Billy Stanley. Have you read his book? It's supposed to be essential reading.

Very true.. The watch and the necklace is also something that he wore in 69. He must have loved that watch
because it seems like he wore it all the way through 1969

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 am

How the hell can he think that this picture was from 1962?

I know he's an idiot but come on! :wink:

::rocks

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

LoL Doc....you can lend me the book sometime smt175 ...glad you like the pic though, shame we didn't have it in better quality, but beggers can't be choosers I guess ::rocks

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 am

that is one GORGEOUS pic of our guy!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 am

memphis1935 wrote:Found this on Billy Stanley's facebook page. It's a photo of our man with Billy's Cousin Teresa outside the front door of Graceland. Never seen it before. He reckons it's 1962 but it looks more like '69 to me....anyway, a nice photo all the same

Elvis looks fantastic!! Thank you for posting!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 am

Welcome EPA ::rocks

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:05 am

I guess we can thank Mr Stanley for a great photo, even if he is seven years out of date

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:59 am

WOW! What a great photo of EP! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:27 am

rickeap wrote:I guess we can thank Mr Stanley for a great photo, even if he is seven years out of date

Go for it!

Billy Stanley | Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Billy-Stanley/100000113095937

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 am

great pic has to be 69. Bill is a twit. Can't even get the year right.
Hot dog he did give us a good one.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:40 am

pjdlibra wrote:great pic has to be 69. Bill is a twit. Can't even get the year right.
Hot dog he did give us a good one.

What a great picture, I agree with the doc on the dates. Billy posted the famous picture of Elvis and Vernon at Graceland (of E in army uniform, Vernon looking at his marksman medal) yesterday saying it was from 1957 DOH!

I learnt that in the army
Keeping Elvis #1
Julian

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 am

'62 instead of '69 ?

Cut the boy some slack !

It's obviously a 'typo'................................. or an error during the printing process................. I mean, nobody could be that far out, could they ?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 am

ColinB wrote:'62 instead of '69 ?

Cut the boy some slack !

It's obviously a 'typo'................................. or an error during the printing process................. I mean, nobody could be that far out, could they ?

Billy could,silly Billy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:47 am

Teresa is a cute liitle thing...
Great shot,thanks memphis for posting it!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:06 pm

It's obviously a 'typo'

I did question Billy about it. I asked him if he was sure it was '62 because i thought it looked like '69 ....what I got was ' I was there!! and Elvis didn't wear belts like this in '69 only in '62....and that he only started wearing the big concert belts in 1970 or '71 '

Ok Billy, you know best mate

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm

memphis1935 wrote:
It's obviously a 'typo'

I did question Billy about it. I asked him if he was sure it was '62 because i thought it looked like '69 ....what I got was ' I was there!! and Elvis didn't wear belts like this in '69 only in '62....and that he only started wearing the big concert belts in 1970 or '71 '

I stand corrected................... he could be that far out !

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Damn, what a great candid!!!!!!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:13 pm

I stand corrected................... he could be that far out !

LoL Colin

Damn, what a great candid!!!!!!

Your welcome funkyangel, glad you like it ::rocks

P.S Just retitled the photo so it will be easy to find later on :wink:

Re: 1969 Candid at Graceland Front Door

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm

What an absolutely stunning pic of our guy!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm

memphis1935 wrote:
It's obviously a 'typo'

I was considering cutting BS some slack, and chalking it up to the fact that he doesn't study the man like we all do, but this comment squashes that idea. Sheesh, Billy.

Awesome pic!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Jesus wept. He's got to be the best looking man that's ever walked this earth. Elvis in 1969 was untouchable on every level imaginable.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 am

I bought a couple of scarves from Teresa Neely a couple of years ago.. She sent me a newspaper article about her as well.
She included this photos of her and Elvis also.

Here's the article:

Huntsville Times, The (AL)

January 22, 2001

The King & I

Author: MIKE SALINERO; Times Staff Writer

Local woman recalls time at Graceland as part of Elvis'

extended family

Teresa Neely was a scared 12-year-old when she first saw the King. She was nervous and feeling a little out of place, a mill village kid sitting in Graceland.

Then she saw him.

"This gorgeous creature came down the steps in black tight pants, a blue shirt and a black captain's hat," she recalls.

Elvis grabbed her hands, pulled her to her feet and planted a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Welcome to the family, honey," he told the girl.

It wasn't exactly Prince Charming and a sleeping princess. But for the next six years, Teresa would live something akin to a fairy-tale existence, albeit Southern style.

It was the German connection that brought Teresa Neely, now Wallace, of Lincoln Mill Village into the circle of rock 'n' roll royalty. In 1960, Teresa's aunt, Davada "Dee" Stanley, was in Germany with her husband, Bill, a sergeant in the Army. Bill Stanley was friends with Sim Wallace, a sergeant who had a young private in his platoon named Elvis Presley.

Elvis' father, Vernon, and his grandmother, Minnie Mae Presley, had moved to Germany. Vernon had become friends with Stanley and Wallace.

It had been two years since Elvis' mother, Gladys, died in 1958. Grandma Presley, whom Elvis called "Dodger," knew her son Vernon was lonely. And she knew Dee was unhappy in her marriage because her husband ran around, according to Teresa.

So Grandma Presley, who was also in Germany, invited Vernon and Dee over for coffee. The two hit if off immediately and later told Bill Stanley they were in love. Teresa says her uncle took the news good-naturedly, and they all remained friends.

Dee and Vernon married in July 1960 in Huntsville, Dee's hometown. Harry Pennington, a local politician who would later be former Gov. George Wallace's chief of staff, performed the ceremony at his home.

Dee's niece, Teresa Neely, was bridesmaid. Elvis wanted to come to the wedding, Teresa says, but was afraid his presence would disrupt the small get-together.

Edith Moore, Teresa's mother, remembers the day Dee called and said she was bringing her new boyfriend to meet the rest of the family.

"I asked, `Who's Vernon?' " Moore says. Dee replied that Vernon was Elvis' daddy.

"Who's Elvis?" Moore asked.

Moore says she called her husband at work and asked what she should cook.

"Cook what you always cook," Richard Neely said.

Vernon and Dee came over to the Neelys for a traditional Southern meal of pork chops, creamed potatoes and apple pie. Vernon remarked that pork chops was Elvis' favorite dish, Teresa recalls.

Teresa, who still lives in Huntsville, dismisses reports that Elvis didn't approve of his father remarrying. Elvis was close to Aunt Dee, Teresa says, and called his stepmother often for advice. The first Christmas after the marriage, Elvis had hundreds of presents under the tree for Dee, her three sons, Teresa and her mom and dad.

"If one of us got something," Teresa recalls, "all of us got something."

Teresa started spending summers and other school holidays at Graceland.

She rode with Elvis in a limousine to and from his first Memphis concert after his stint in the Army ended in 1960. A marquee cast opened for the King: Chubby Checker, Brenda Lee, the Hollywood Argyles and Floyd Cramer.

As they drove away after the show, fans chased Elvis' limo. For Teresa, it was an initiation into a glamorous world that sometimes bordered on the bizarre.

"I would wake up and look out my window (at Graceland), and I would see all those people at the front gate," Teresa said. "I thought, `I can't believe this is happening to me!' "

`Elvis time'

Teresa and her cousins accompanied Elvis and his entourage during their famous nightly escapades. They left at midnight and came back at 5 a.m. She says Elvis and the guys loved to visit an amusement park in Memphis and ride a roller coaster called the Pippin, standing and screaming with their arms in the air. Or the group would go shopping in stores that were kept open for the King's convenience.

Teresa says everyone who stayed at Graceland lived on "Elvis time." He would get up about 3 p.m. and order breakfast, usually burnt bacon. Wallace and her cousins, Dee's kids, would occupy themselves before then by riding horses and go-karts or by watching movies. Teresa says they could watch all of Elvis' movies except "Love Me Tender." She never learned why that movie was off-limits.

But Teresa and the others usually weren't allowed to leave the mansion on their own.

"I had certain places I could go," she says. "If I went with Aunt Dee and Uncle Vernon, I could go off. Elvis had this fear of kidnappers. My whereabouts were always known."

Ladies' man

Elvis' reputation as a ladies' man was not exaggerated, Teresa says. She remembers bringing a girlfriend named Martha to Graceland. Elvis took a liking to her. Teresa, who admits to being jealous of Elvis' attention, quit bringing her friend.

"Where's Martha?" the King would ask.

Then there was the stewardess named Joy whom Wallace got to know on her flights to Memphis. She brought Joy to Graceland with her.

"She got to be a friend of the family and a good friend of Elvis," Teresa says.

Teresa has a photograph of herself standing in front of the mansion with Anita Wood, a shapely blonde who was Elvis' girlfriend for six years. The photo was taken after Elvis got out of the service and while he was arranging to bring his future bride, Priscilla, to Memphis from Germany.

And Teresa remembers the day Ann-Margaret called to decline Elvis' marriage proposal. The call came after Priscilla had moved into Graceland, Teresa says.

Fanatic fans

The loyalty of Elvis' fans is still legendary, and Teresa saw firsthand some of the more fanatic examples. She was in a limo when a fan who had camped outside Graceland jumped on the windshield as it drove out the gate.

"Elvis! Elvis! Elvis!" the woman shouted as she clung to the roof, staring in at the startled passengers.

Another fan sent a special delivery letter to Graceland every day at noon.

The letter began, "Dear poopsey whoopsey . . ."

But perhaps the strangest example of fan mail was a letter from a middle-aged woman who owned an orange grove. She sent a picture of herself nude, lounging on a stack of oranges. The woman wrote that she had "plenty of money," and that she and Elvis could live "happily ever after."

Teresa's trips to Graceland ended in 1969, when at 18 she married Roy Wallace. (In a twist of fate, Roy's father was Sim Wallace, Elvis' sergeant in Germany.) Vernon and Dee divorced, although they stayed good friends, Teresa says.

The Neelys and Elvis stayed in touch, however, and Teresa visited him at the Hilton when he played concerts in Huntsville. By the 1970s he was tiring of fame and yearned for a "regular" life, Teresa says. One of the last times Teresa saw Elvis was shortly before his death in 1977. He was gazing out the window of his room at the Hilton, looking wistfully at Big Spring Park.

"You know, honey," he said, "I've got all this money, cars, airplanes, and I would give it all up to be able to walk alone in that park."

Caption:
Graphic Type: COLOR PHOTO 1; COLOR PHOTO 2; COLOR PHOTO 3; B&W PHOTO 1; B&W PHOTO 2 Graphic Source: Photo courtesy of Teresa Wallace; Eric Schultz

Huntsville Times; Photo courtesy of Teresa Wallace; Photo courtesy of Teresa Wallace; Photo courtesy of Teresa Wallace Richard Neely, father of Teresa Wallace, with Elvis.; Teresa Wallace holds a scarf signed by Elvis Presley.; Then Teresa Neely as a young adult with Elvis.; Then Teresa Neely as a young girl on the steps of Graceland.; Then Teresa Neely, left, poses with Anita Wood, who was Elvis' girlfriend at the time.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:1962? What's with the sideburns and wedding ring Elvis is sporting?

...and the same watch from his press conference after his july 31, 1969, Vegas return?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.