Update : Image

Page 29.

Page 30.

Page 30a

Page 31.

Page 32.

Page 33.

Page 34.

Ok, so it's probably not complete, but I would like to achieve a near complete collection of publicity still's taken at the time of MGM's production of 'Jailhouse Rock'. I have tried to find the best quality images, and in full frame where ever possible.

My thoughts at this time, are, that there were three separate photo session's used for publicity use by both MGM and RCA Victor.

Session One (Page 1 and 2) These images were used in the picture 'Jailhouse Rock' and seen in the background poster's and mock single 45 cover's for Laurel Records during the Montage Record Processing scene and the record store scene number 83 - 'record store'
The date is unknown, but confirmation that they were taken before the date of 5th of June 1957,which is the date when scene number 83 was filmed. The top row centre portrait on Page 1. is a well known Presley image, my conclusion after some research is that this image was taken at the same session as the other stills used for the Laurel Records prop cover's. Elvis' hair and clothes match the other images. I have tried to use as many full frame photo's on this section which have the brick wall background. The Photographer at MGM Portrait Studio at this time was Virgill Apger.

Session Two and Three - can be identified by the fact, that Elvis' hair is cut fairly short in Session Two compared to Session three, and his jewellery is different between the two dates. It has been recorded that after the completion of filming of 'Jailhouse Rock' Elvis attended the MGM Portrait Studio on Monday 17th, and possibly the 18th, and 19th of June 1957 for the usual publicity photographs to be taken. My guess is that section three photographs were taken on these dates looking at Elvis' hair at the end of filming. Session 2 photographs are difficult to allocate a date to, again guess work would put the images for Session 2 around the end of April/ early part of May.

In the photo above, Elvis is wearing the same clothes as in Session 2 including the red jacket.

An example of Elvis' appearance on May 8th, at the MGM Soundstage, Hollywood. Note Elvis is wearing the same jacket as he wore on December 4th 1956 at Sun Studios.

It would be great if there is any further information, photographs, improved images etc that anyone has to share.

This is for reference use by FECC message board only.

Davide
Last edited by davide on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am, edited 10 times in total.

Re: The Complete Jailhouse Rock Publicity file's

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 am

WOW.

Thanks a bunch - stunning pictures!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 am

Once again: Stunning to say the least!
Thank you very much for your efforts.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 am

Boy, it's fun to look at these. Some are new to my eyes.

bripet56 may be able to help with more accurate dating of these official publicity shots.

One method is getting dates might be to match his hairstyle to the film sequences where you have a definite date. There's no doubt the photos were done on company time, not the weekends.

In the second batch of images it almost looks like Elvis tried out a little perm in his hair to make it more curly, a la actor Tony Curtis. He did this many times between 1952 and 1957. But are there sequences in the MGM film where his hair looks like this? I don't recall any. So maybe they were taken after filming had been completed.

Note: you should drop the apostrophe from your title.

You might like this:

The Complete "Jailhouse Rock" Publicity Files

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Boy, it's fun to look at these. Some are new to my eyes.

bripet56 may be able to help with more accurate dating of these official publicity shots.

One hint to to match the hairstyle to the film sequences where you have a definite date. There's no doubt the photos were done on company time, not the weekends.

In the second batch of images it almost looks like Elvis tried out a little perm in his hair to make it more curly, a la actor Tony Curtis. He did this many times between 1952 and 1957. But are there sequences in the MGM film where his hair looks like this? I don't recall any. So maybe they were taken after filming had been completed.

Note: you should drop the apostrophe from your title.

You might like this:

The Complete "Jailhouse Rock" Publicity Files

Done

Thanks
Davide

Re: The Complete "Jailhouse Rock" Publicity Files

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 pm

GREAT Davide ..... just GREAT. :smt023

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Truly fantastic work once again, David. Thanks!

The photo session 3 is my favorite as far Elvis's looks go.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Phenomenal pics davide!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 pm

AWESOME PICS! Thank you for posting!!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Wow, Judy Tyler didn't even wear a bra... :wink:

Davide, this is fantastic. What a bunch of work. Thank you very much for that! :smt023 ::rocks

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Wow, Judy Tyler didn't even wear a bra... :wink:

The ill-fated actress is indeed wearing a bra in the photos above.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Beyond wonderful, thank you!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 pm

David, any thoughts on this?

drjohncarpenter wrote:One hint to to match the hairstyle to the film sequences where you have a definite date. There's no doubt the photos were done on company time, not the weekends.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:David, any thoughts on this?

drjohncarpenter wrote:One hint to to match the hairstyle to the film sequences where you have a definite date. There's no doubt the photos were done on company time, not the weekends.

I have had a look at the movie again, and certainly his hair (from Session Two) doesn't appear to match at all.

These photo's taken around June 1957, If they were taken in Memphis, from June 27 1957 onwards (day by day)

Then June 28 1957 http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ele57.html

Davide

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 am

Thanks for posting these pictures. :)

Very nice, I enjoyed them very much!

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:55 pm

thank you for this post.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm crying right now (tears of joy) ... these are great, would make a great book (Tunzi, take notice!!) ...

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Improved in quality and full frame.

March 1958 Magazine - Is this image found anywhere but from this magazine cover?

Davide

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 pm

What a marvellous post. I found this one also in one of my scrapbooks that doesn't crop up often, if at all;
j rock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:09 pm

TONY wrote:What a marvellous post. I found this one also in one of my scrapbooks that doesn't crop up often, if at all;
j rock.jpg

Thanks Tony - I have not seen that before, I have put it in as page 30 a

Davide

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

My pleasure. Looks like you've made it look a little better too. That photo was, I believe, in a newspaper over 50 years ago and I've never seen it reprinted anywhere else since.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:41 pm

davide wrote: Improved in quality and full frame. Davide
Looks fantastic! Thanks for posting!

TONY wrote:What a marvellous post.

I agree with you completely!!

TONY wrote:I found this one also in one of my scrapbooks that doesn't crop up often, if at all;

New to me. Great pic! Thanks for posting!

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Davide!! :D :D :D.

This is really fantastic 8)!. Can you add this postcard?. Thank you. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi Davide!! :D :D :D.

This is really fantastic 8)!. Can you add this postcard?. Thank you. Bye for now :smt006.

Thanks - whilst your postcard contains an image from the production of 'Jailhouse Rock', it was actually taken on location at MGM Studio's, (on the 13th June 1957) and not at the MGM Portrait Studio. It was also originally a Black & White photograph.

Davide.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

davide wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi Davide!! :D :D :D.

Thanks - whilst your postcard contains an image from the production of 'Jailhouse Rock', it was actually taken on location at MGM Studio's, (on the 13th June 1957) and not at the MGM Portrait Studio. It was also originally a Black & White photograph.

Davide.

O.K, I understand :wink:. Although the original is in black & white I have been told that this is the original colour for his sweater 8). Bye for now :smt006.