Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Beach Boys' 50th anniversary thread

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 pm

....and 50th anniversary celebration:

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/al-jardine-to-reunite-with-the-beach-boys-for-reagan-tribute-concert

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-national/persistence-pays-off-step-with-al-jardine-of-the-beach-boys

What would you like to see happen for the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary?

I would like to see us doing the Grammys this year as a Lifetime Achievement-type situation, but unfortunately that’s not gonna happen because the group would rather start next year, so that gives me a year to prepare [Author's Note: The Beach Boys received an official Lifetime Achievement Grammy in 2001].

So, for 2012 we hope to kick-off the Grammys, then a worldwide tour. I think you’ll get a chance to see us live, because it will be quite a coming-out party.

Brian’s team has been very encouraging; we just have to figure out how to do it, you know, who will the players be and who will be involved, but everyone has agreed in principle to do it.

Are there plans for a new Beach Boys archival project?

Capitol Records plans to issue a Beach Boys version of Smile sometime this summer to begin the celebration of The Beach Boys’ anniversary. Smile is the Holy Grail for Beach Boys’ fans, so it will be good.

I don’t have many details on it, although we didn't do any new recording. I'm happy to see it finally come out. Brian’s changed his mind about releasing the material, but it was inevitable, wasn’t it? (Al chuckles).

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Pretty Darn Close -- Beach Boy Al Jardine On His New Solo Album, Plus SMILE - National Pop Culture | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in- ... z1CvDbn6vo

Get it done, boys ! One last time !

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Rocker on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: First steps for a complete Beach Boys reunion....

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:00 pm

love the beach boys, ::rocks brian, dennis , carl, alan, bruce , and even mike

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Carl and Dennis are dead, there can be no reunion.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Carl and Dennis are dead, there can be no reunion.

A band consists of more than just two guys. There sure as hell can be a reunion, and I hope there will be.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Rocker wrote:

A band consists of more than just two guys. There sure as hell can be a reunion, and I hope there will be.

Carl and Dennis weren't "just two guys." Sure, it would be fun to see Brian, Mike and Al perform, but frankly, I can't see it being more impressive than Brian Wilson's touring band.

The recent rumor of Capitol issuing a version of SMiLE is intriguing. A multi-disc box set was planned years ago when the Pet Sounds set was issued, but it was pulled. And of course, there is the issue of various SMiLE tapes being in the hands of a multitude of people. Time will tell...

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Rocker wrote:

Hmmm, maybe you're right!

I can't wait for these:

Beatles reunion (Paul, Ringo ...)
Who reunion (Pete, Roger ...)
Mamas and Papas reunion (Michelle ...)
Badfinger reunion (Joey ...)
Thin Lizzy reunion (Brian, Scott, Brian ...)
Minutemen reunion (Mike, George ...)
Nirvana reunion (Dave, Kris ...)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26 pm

midnightx wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Carl and Dennis weren't "just two guys." Sure, it would be fun to see Brian, Mike and Al perform, but frankly, I can't see it being more impressive than Brian Wilson's touring band.

I love Carl and Dennis, but still, they didn't make the Beach Boys the Beach Boys on their own. It was all of them together that made them. And since a reunion means that all the living members come together, it'd be exactly that. It'd still be the f@cking Beach Boys. In the early 80s they toured for awhile in that constellation, since Carl went solo and Denny often didn't show up or was too drunk to play. It was the Beach Boys then, too. So I say it one more time: Get it on, boys !

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Rocker wrote:I love Carl and Dennis, but still, they didn't make the Beach Boys the Beach Boys on their own. It was all of them together that made them.

Correct

Rocker wrote:And since a reunion means that all the living members come together ...

Um, no. It means "all of them together."

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker wrote:And since a reunion means that all the living members come together ...

Um, no. It means "all of them together."

Reunion a meeting or social gathering of persons acquainted with each other through some former event or connection.

Doesn't look that bad:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

A complete reuinion for what? A candlelight vigil?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Ding ding ding!!

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Apparently Love is a real pr!ck!

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 pm

Rocker wrote:Image

Isn't the name BEACH BOYS a little inacurate nowadays?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 pm

I guess the only person to host a Beach Boys reunion is John Edward.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Beach Bums more like....

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am

The title of this thread says: "First steps for a complete Beach Boys reunion...."

It can't be a COMPLETE reunion without Carl and Dennis. :(

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:03 am

It's as likely as a Beatles Reunion.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:24 am

I'm surprised about the "Brian's team being supportive" bit...Brian never did look like he was up for sharing a stage with Mike. Having seen both Brian's and Mike's bands...they're going to have issues trying to settle on a set of musicians. I'd bet there will be a weird fusion of both bands. I don't see Brian performing with Mike's group or vice versa.

I look forward to any outing they want to do...it'd be nice to hear those voices together again.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:08 am

IMETJB wrote:I'm surprised about the "Brian's team being supportive" bit...Brian never did look like he was up for sharing a stage with Mike. Having seen both Brian's and Mike's bands...they're going to have issues trying to settle on a set of musicians. I'd bet there will be a weird fusion of both bands. I don't see Brian performing with Mike's group or vice versa.

I look forward to any outing they want to do...it'd be nice to hear those voices together again.

Without Carl Wilson's voice, it would very incomplete. That said, Brian's backing musicians do an admirable job filling in the void on Beach Boys numbers.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 am

Yes indeed, Brian's group nails the job. I feel they also bring in the emotional element that I think is missing with Mike and Bruce's group. I will say that even with the fewer man power in Mike and Bruce's group, they do a pretty effective job. It's really a party vibe they put down.

I'd simply prefer Mike and Bruce to join Brian's current band if any of these plans come into fruition.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Mitch wrote:The title of this thread says: "First steps for a complete Beach Boys reunion...."

It can't be a COMPLETE reunion without Carl and Dennis. :(

Don't be so picky. Of course it's a complete reunion with all living members. And now don't come with Blodnie and Ricky as they (unfortunately) are members no more, 'cause they were fired/left .

Sometimes this board really gets on my nerves.

Hopefully the thread will take on with some important chatter now.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Other than the fascinating SMILEY SMILE album, The Beach Boys bore the hell outta me.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:25 pm

IMETJB wrote:Yes indeed, Brian's group nails the job. I feel they also bring in the emotional element that I think is missing with Mike and Bruce's group. I will say that even with the fewer man power in Mike and Bruce's group, they do a pretty effective job. It's really a party vibe they put down.

I'd simply prefer Mike and Bruce to join Brian's current band if any of these plans come into fruition.

That would make the most sense. Brian does hold all the cards here. If Mike and Bruce want a reunion, they will have to make more compromises than Brian.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 pm

midnightx wrote:
IMETJB wrote:Yes indeed, Brian's group nails the job. I feel they also bring in the emotional element that I think is missing with Mike and Bruce's group. I will say that even with the fewer man power in Mike and Bruce's group, they do a pretty effective job. It's really a party vibe they put down.

That would make the most sense. Brian does hold all the cards here. If Mike and Bruce want a reunion, they will have to make more compromises than Brian.

But what about Al Jardine? Is there room for him too?

phpBB [video]

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Bring on Al....who cares. Any sort of reunion would be no different than seeing a Brian Wilson solo gig, only with some former Beach Boys members on stage. The music played by Brian's current band and along with their otherworldly harmonies are hard to beat. I am surprised no one is more interested in a possible SMiLE release. Sadly, Beach Boys archivist Alan Boyd has confirmed over the years that a ton of SMiLE tapes are missing. A lot of empty boxes exist in the vaults.