Off Topic Messages

oldies and classic rock stations suck

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 am

they play the same songs over and over and over.whoever the consulants are is a bunch of clowns in ties and suits/
thinking the public wants to hear the same songs everyday.
they need to get rid of radio consulants on fm/am.
get back to the way it used to be let the public tell the dj what to play not the clowns in the suits.
not talking satelite radio only fm and am.
no wonder people have sirius or xm or ipods.
cause we dont want to listen to a bunch of knitwits.they dont know good music cause they only like the same songs.
any radio station consulants are on here you are ignorant morons.

Re: oldies and classic rock stations suck

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 am

ritchie valens wrote:they play the same songs over and over and over.whoever the consulants are is a bunch of clowns in ties and suits/
thinking the public wants to hear the same songs everyday.
they need to get rid of radio consulants on fm/am.
get back to the way it used to be let the public tell the dj what to play not the clowns in the suits.
not talking satelite radio only fm and am.
no wonder people have sirius or xm or ipods.
cause we dont want to listen to a bunch of knitwits.they dont know good music cause they only like the same songs.
any radio station consulants are on here you are ignorant morons.

I have to say I aree with you. I use to listen to the oldies stations before iPods and walkmans when I was delivering my mailroute in the early 80's. You could set your clock by what song they were playing. Everyday it was the same songs over and over, drove me crazy. Thank God for sports talk radio that came along and walkmans then later iPods!

They only seem to think Elvis had two or three songs. They only played Suspicious Minds and Hound Dog and sometimes Love Me Tender. I would call and suggest other Elvis songs and they would say, "If we have it"! Can't stand them and don't listen to them anymore.

Mitch

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:31 am

I guess it can be very hard to find one acceptable radio station out of the 41,000+ available on the net.

Why do you a radio station to hear Elvis?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 pm

This is a great topic. Classic Rock radio has sucked for a very, very long time, and I fully abandoned it, not that I had been listening to it too much at that point anyway, about four or five years ago when satellite radio really took hold. I have been a Sirius (and now Sirius/XM) subscriber since that time and I've never looked back. I take pleasure in the fact that I don't have to be held hostage by terrestrial radio any longer. The most annoying thing about 'classic rock' (I hate that term), is that rock radio was founded on the platform of underground/free form radio. Up through the early or maybe mid 80s, it used to be interesting to listen to. The music and the fans were taken seriously. Now it's all about playing the same Springsteen, Aerosmith, and Pink Floyd songs over and over again, with lame commercials in between about $1 Budweisers being offered at some local knuckle-head bar. And don't even get me started about the nasally voiced jocks. One day I heard one jock talking at length about his golf game and then went into a Led Zeppelin or Who song. I'm sorry but golf-talk and Led Zeppelin, or rock music in general should not exist in the same place. I know some rock stars, like Alice Cooper and Eddie Van Halen now go to golf opens, but to me the two don't mix and have nothing to do with what rock music is about. There is however, one lone jock that I know of that still calls the shots on his show and keeps it interesting, and that's Jim Ladd at KLOS-FM in Los Angeles. Ladd has been in radio in LA since at least the 60s, and he's probably the last jock in America that stays true to the original AOR format. I spent an extended period of time in LA a few years ago and was able to listen to his show, and it was a total breath of fresh air and made you feel like the world of rock radio had some substance (no pun intended) again. In fact Ladd is the guy that Tom Petty based his album 'The Last DJ' on.

As far as the old stuff I'll very occasionally listen to the oldies station here in New York, WCBS-FM because at the very least the some of the jocks are entertaining and the overall mood can be fun for a little while, but as soon as I hear one of the overplayed oldies like 'Respect', or 'You Can't Hurry Love', I turn it right off and go back to the very vast selection of what satellite has to offer, and it's a good thing that I have that option and totally worth the price of subscription. Probably the best oldies station I've heard, and an exception theses days is on eastern Long Island called WLNG-FM that not only has a very expansive oldies rotation, they format the sound of the station to sound like the AM pop stations of the 60s. It's actually pretty cool and you don't hear the same songs over and over.
Last edited by intheghetto on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:01 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I guess it can be very hard to find one acceptable radio station out of the 41,000+ available on the net.

Why do you a radio station to hear Elvis?

If you are talking to me then I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was talking about the early 80's and I am pretty sure there wasn't the internet back then. If there were then I know I certainly didn't have it! So that takes care of the 41,000 radio stations that you were talking about.

Your other comment, "Why do you a radio station to hear Elvis?" doesn't make sense.

I think you meant to say, "Why do you listen to a radio station to hear Elvis?".

If so, then again it was in the early 80's and I didn't have an iPod or an walkman to listen to on my mail route. I didn't listen the radio just to hear Elvis, I love old rock and roll and I would listen to the radio to help me with the boredom of carrying the same mail route over and over again!! :)

Hope this helps kiwialan,

Mitch

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:10 am

the oldies stations in colorado call 70's and 80's "oldies" now with a little bit from the 60's here and there and they barely play 50's music anymore.. "classic rock" is considered late 80's and the 90's

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 am

intheghetto wrote:I have been a Sirius (and now Sirius/XM) subscriber since that time and I've never looked back.

Ditto.

I won't be without it.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 am

Radio station consultants continually poll target audience age groups to discover what they want to hear and adjust playlists accordingly. Just like TV.

As advertisers have little interest in the over 65's there is very little point in broadcasters playing 50's music if they want profits

The internet stations solve the problem

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 am

There are several oldies/classic stations locally, but the only time I tune in is Sunday morning for AT40 the 70's. The exception in the rotation of overplayed songs is a "placeholder" station - the station has been up for sale for 2 years now, and in the meantime, just to have something on the air, they play 60's and 70's hits. No commercials, no announcers, just wall to wall music, and a pretty good selection. Much deeper than on the regular commercial stations. I tune in it mostly when I'm traveling. At home, I listen to my extensive record, cassette and cd collection most of the time. The days when people were on the radio because they loved music are long gone - it's all about $$$$ now, has been for a long time.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm

I remember a very good AM oldies station in Cleveland called WHK. They switched to news, but they were the only ones who I ever thought really mixed it up before SIrius.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm

ritchie valens wrote:any radio station consulants are on here you are ignorant morons.

They must all be Romney supporters!

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:There are several oldies/classic stations locally, but the only time I tune in is Sunday morning for AT40 the 70's. The exception in the rotation of overplayed songs is a "placeholder" station - the station has been up for sale for 2 years now, and in the meantime, just to have something on the air, they play 60's and 70's hits. No commercials, no announcers, just wall to wall music, and a pretty good selection. Much deeper than on the regular commercial stations. I tune in it mostly when I'm traveling. At home, I listen to my extensive record, cassette and cd collection most of the time. The days when people were on the radio because they loved music are long gone - it's all about $$$$ now, has been for a long time.

Since this was posted, our "place holder" station has switched to playing all hte overplayed oldies of the 70's and 80's. :cry: :(

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:10 pm

This is my favorite oldies station, heard over AM in New Jersey: http://www.wmtram.com/

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm

If you live in the U.S., IHeart provides live radio from all over the world. And I mean ALL OVER THE WORLD! In the car, I try to be careful, because of mobile usage fees. There are supposedly WiFi hotspots, but they never seem to work in any kind of stable way when you're moving. Hard enough to keep a 3G signal moving (I'll have 4G by the end of the year; maybe it'll be better). Anyway, I listen to WDIA a lot, especially on Sunday, with the gospel music. (Blues on Saturdays!)

But I've listened to stations all over the world. http://www.iheart.com

Enjoy!

rjm

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 pm

This station doesn't suck:

KALX-FM | KALX-FM
http://kalx.berkeley.edu/
http://kalx.berkeley.edu/liveplayer.html

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 am

http://radioradio7.com/radio/Philippine ... -1003.html
this station plays oldies every sunday (Manila Time)

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Maybe the FECC members should come up with a playlist of oldies from 1950-1980s for those radio consultants. It always seemed to me that terrestrial overplayed the hits from Motown for some reason yet totally ignored country records that crossed over into pop / rock. One of my favorite oldies stations for many years was WBIG 100.3 in the Washington, D.C. area. They eventually evolved from oldies to classic rock. When they were still oldies, they had caller contests in which they would play three songs and the caller had to figure out what the three songs had in common. One I remember distinctly was that they played Elvis' "(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame," Johnny Rivers' "Memphis" and a third song I can't remember offhand. The answer was the the name Marie was mentioned in all three songs.

Another contest they did similar to that was when the played George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord," The Doors' "Hello, I Love You" and the Beach Boys' "Surfin' USA." The answer was that all three songs were accused of musical plagarism.

They also did some pretty cool interviews with individuals. I do recall them interviewing Peter, Paul and Mary of the '60s group and having them talk about performing in the Washington, D.C. area back in the 60's.

The one thing I remember about WBIG was that it was putting out some serious airwaves for an FM station. I assume that it is still doing the same. I remember being nearly a three hour drive away from Washington, D.C. and being able to pick up WBIG 100.3 in Western PA on some days. They used to play some really great stuff too. "Homeward Bound" by Simon & Garfunkel comes to mind.

I tried Sirius a number of years ago. To be honest, I really wasn't all that impressed. I was more interested in Sirius as to listen to NFL games on radio that I couldn't watch on TV. The Elvis Sirius channel, I didn't care much for. It seemed that they played too many inferior soundboard recordings and alternate takes in their regular programming. I think what Sirius needs is more or less a retro-style oldies station that would play stuff from the 50's through the 70's. I believe they have channels dedicated to all three decades, but I would prefer something that stuck to that format. The one thing that bothers me nowadays is that in smaller radio markets, there are no more oldies stations. There's more of an emphasis on classic rock from the late 60's onward, totally negating everything from the 50's and early to mid 60's. A shame...

As far as other online listening options, I know iTunes has a number of radio stations that you can stream. So does iHeart radio. One that I really like is http://www.rewoundradio.com They usually do a Top 100 oldies countdown as voted on by listeners at the end of each year. They also play a good many retro air-checks from some top-name disk jockeys of the era.

Daryl

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Daryl[/quote]
I agree that country crossover hits of the past have been ignored. It's eye opening listening to the AT40 rebroadcasts from the 70's, lots of hits that crossed over from the country charts, and these are never played on oldies radio now.