Post here your Elvis' pictures

June 22-28, 1956 tour

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Not many photos are available from this tour. I have deliberately omitted the show in Richmond on June 30 as we have quite a number of photos from this show and I would like to concentrate on the 7 days mentioned in the subject title.

From a Heritage Auction we have this one from Atlanta, Ga. Elvis did 10 shows in Atlanta between June 22 and June 24 and so far I only know of three shots from these ten shows.
560622-0624-Atlanta-c03-Heritage auction-bripet56.jpg

No photos, as far as I know, are available from Savannah, Ga. on June 25.

From Charlotte, N.C. June 26, we have a couple of shots, the one below being one of them.
560626-Charlotte-c02-bripet56.jpg

From the Charlotte Observer comes this photo of Elvis shooting pool prior to his show.
560626-Charlotte-bc01-Charlotte Observer-bripet56.jpg

EDITED: PHOTO DELETED

June 27 coming up in a minute

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bripet56 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: June 22-28, 1956 tour

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:50 pm

June 27 found Elvis in Augusta, Ga.
The book Teenager’s Hero by Steve Rino gave us a couple of photos from this day.
In the first Elvis is seen with singers Marcia Carr and Margie Walker
560627-Augusta-bc02-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

Next up Elvis is heading for the show.
560627-Augusta-bc01-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

The next photo is, according to Teenager’s Hero, from the show in Augusta. I am not 100% convinced the photo is from Augusta as Elvis arrived at the stage door wearing a dark-coloured sport shirt and it looks like he’s wearing a white shirt in the photo. He could of course have changed into the white shirt Gene Smith is holding in the photo above.
560627-Augusta-c01-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

So, if the photo is from Augusta then I believe the following also to be from the same show.
560627-Augusta-c02-bripet56.jpg

June 28 coming up in a minute.

Sincerely
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bripet56 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:52 pm

On June 28 Elvis played Charleston, S.C.

From a Heritage Auction we have some photos in not so good quality.
First Elvis is seen leaning against a 1956 Plymouth Station Wagon.
560628-Charleston-bc03-Heritage auction-bripet56.jpg

The next three photos come from Teenager’s Hero by Steve Rino and shows Elvis in action.
560628-Charleston-c01-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

560628-Charleston-c02-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

560628-Charleston-c03-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

Please feel free to add comments and photos from the above 7 days.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:30 pm

cool!

I had a few from Hertiage on the Atlana page from The Paramount
http://scottymoore.net/paramount.html

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 pm

bripet56 wrote:On June 28 Elvis played Charleston, S.C.

From a Heritage Auction we have some photos in not so good quality.
First Elvis is seen leaning against a 1956 Plymouth Station Wagon.
560628-Charleston-bc03-Heritage auction-bripet56.jpg

I tried to enhance this a little, not with much success

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Awesome Brian! Thanks again for all of your hard work!

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Great job, Brian. I have one problem about the June 27, Augusta show: i have the photo below from the book :Elvis: The Hayride Years 54-56" by Frank Page; Joey Kent (2004) - JAT Productions. All the elements are the same like in Augusta photos, but the shirt is not white!! Now, i think we have 3 posibilities:
1. The photo posted by me is from Augusta and the two photos from Steve Rino aren't from Augusta (but what show?)
2, The photos from Hayride Years aren't from Augusta and the two photos are from Augusta
3. All the photos are from Augusta, but what about the shirt??

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:09 am

About the "560626-Charlotte-cd01-bripet56" photo, i think this is a Wertheimer shot, Elvis outside New York's Hudson Theater, July 1, 1956, after his Steve Allen appearance.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:34 am

A million thanks for sharing.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:28 am

Thanks for posting these. Too bad some are real blurry especially the one with his arms around two of his female fans :D

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:cool!

I had a few from Hertiage on the Atlana page from The Paramount
http://scottymoore.net/paramount.html

Thanks James. I also have these three photos from the Heritage. Too bad we don't have any more photos from the 10 shows Elvis did in Atlanta. There has got to be more photos than those three somewhere out there.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:08 pm

hilton22000 wrote:About the "560626-Charlotte-cd01-bripet56" photo, i think this is a Wertheimer shot, Elvis outside New York's Hudson Theater, July 1, 1956, after his Steve Allen appearance.

You are quite correct hilton. I had this as being from Charlotte and only checked the police uniforms and found a one from Charlotte that looked like the one in the photo.
I have deleted the photo which IS a Wertheimer photo.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:51 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Great job, Brian. I have one problem about the June 27, Augusta show: i have the photo below from the book :Elvis: The Hayride Years 54-56" by Frank Page; Joey Kent (2004) - JAT Productions. All the elements are the same like in Augusta photos, but the shirt is not white!! Now, i think we have 3 posibilities:
1. The photo posted by me is from Augusta and the two photos from Steve Rino aren't from Augusta (but what show?)
2, The photos from Hayride Years aren't from Augusta and the two photos are from Augusta
3. All the photos are from Augusta, but what about the shirt??

As I stated in my post above I am not 100% sure the Steve Rino photo is from Augusta either. I edited the second on stage photo as this is not included in the Steve Rino book.

Mostly we see Elvis only putting on another jacket and keeping his shirt on for the upcoming show. If this is the case with Augusta then he would have worn a dark-coloured shirt, which would be the one he wears in the other Augusta photos.
Howeve, since Gene Smith is holding a white shirt and a jacket it COULD be that Elvis changed into both before going onstage.

The microphone in the photo you posted looks like the same as in my photos. Maybe it was a standard that was used in a number of auditoriums or maybe we have photos from one and the same stage and then they're not from Augusta as he only did one show there.

Lots of new questions but hopefully we'll get around and answer some of them.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Elvis4ever wrote:Thanks for posting these. Too bad some are real blurry especially the one with his arms around two of his female fans :D

I tried to do my best scanning the photo from Steve Rino's Teenager's Hero. Unfortunately the photo is spread over two pages with Elvis right in the middle. Here's my best shot.
560627-Augusta-bco2-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:38 pm

bripet56 wrote:
Elvis4ever wrote:Thanks for posting these. Too bad some are real blurry especially the one with his arms around two of his female fans :D

I tried to do my best scanning the photo from Steve Rino's Teenager's Hero. Unfortunately the photo is spread over two pages with Elvis right in the middle. Here's my best shot.
560627-Augusta-bco2-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

Here it is a little retouched

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Having studied the photos and especially the microphone in detail I don't think that the two on stage photos I posted above as being from Augusta are from the same show.

In the two photos below you'll notice the thicker white piece of cord below Elvis' hand holding the microphone. This does not appear in other photos with this kind of microphone.
560627-Augusta-c01-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

5605-5606-bripet56.jpg

In the photo with the black shirt Elvis doesn't seem to have a ring on his left little finger which would indicate that the photo is from May 1956 as Scotty, Bill and Fontana didn't start using butterflies until the May tour and Elvis doesn't seem to be wearing dark shirts on stage after the June tour.
In both photos we see audience between Scotty and Elvis. These two photos would probably from two shows at the same venue.
Dates with at least two shows would be May 14, 16, 18, 20, 25, 26, 27.
May 14, 16, 25, 26 27 are ruled out due to already known photos showing Elvis' clothing or the microphone.
So either May 18 or 20.
The hair does fit in nicely with the photo posted by Scott from Omaha on the 20th but the white cord doesn't seem to be there on the microphone.
May 18 in Wichita, Ks??

In the next two photos the white piece of cord is missing but in stead there is some sort of thicker connection on the microphone stand just at the end of Elvis' jacket sleeve. The photo on the left has been posted as being from Miami in August but the microphone is not the one used in Miami and I don't think I could find a similar connection on other microphones from the August, October or November tours.
So my guess on these two would be the May/June tour. And definitely from the same show.
Image1.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:13 pm

bripet56 wrote:In the two photos below you'll notice the thicker white piece of cord below Elvis' hand holding the microphone. This does not appear in other photos with this kind of microphone.
Brian

Excuse the edited quote here because I got confused on which pix and what you were talking about but let me attempt to clarify your confusuion about the mics and cord. These two photos are likely the same show. The difference you see in the mics and cord is that in one shot he is holding it proper and signing into the front of it with the cord draped down the back. In the other he is singing into the same mic but holding backwards and singinto the back of it with the cord push to the front. The thicker attachment you referred to is actually just the mount where it attaches to the stand and is obscured by his hand when he is holding it correctly.

Correct

backwards
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm

James, I'm still not sure the two photos you posted on Jan 2 are from the same show.

However, I doubt very much that the Rino photo from the June 27 show is actually from Augusta.
I believe the two photos below are from two different shows in the same city. Take a look at the audience behind the band in both photos.
c01-Steve Rino-bripet56.jpg

062 (2).jpg

Then take a look at the stage at Bell Auditorium. No audience there.
Augusta Bell Memorial-02.jpg

The shoes Elvis wears in the first photo are not seen in any photos from the May tour but Elvis wore them on June 28 and 29 at least.
The only place where Elvis did two shows and the background could fit in is Savannah. Here he played at the Sports Arena. I haven't been able to find any photos from the venue but being a sports arena it is very likely that there were audience behind the stage.
What do you think??

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 pm

bripet56 wrote:James, I'm still not sure the two photos you posted on Jan 2 are from the same show.

However, I doubt very much that the Rino photo from the June 27 show is actually from Augusta.
I believe the two photos below are from two different shows in the same city. Take a look at the audience behind the band in both photos.

062 (2).jpg

Then take a look at the stage at Bell Auditorium. No audience there.
Augusta Bell Memorial-02.jpg

The shoes Elvis wears in the first photo are not seen in any photos from the May tour but Elvis wore them on June 28 and 29 at least.
The only place where Elvis did two shows and the background could fit in is Savannah. Here he played at the Sports Arena. I haven't been able to find any photos from the venue but being a sports arena it is very likely that there were audience behind the stage.
What do you think??

Sincerely
Brian

Hi Brian, I didn't say those two were the same, just that the two I posted could be. At the very least the microphone as you described it couldn't rule it out. I'm not sure where they're from, haven't had the time lately to follow along too closely. Just got back a couple nights ago and have a lot to get caught up on.

The top photo here at least doesn't appear to have any crowd behind them. It almost looks like a partially lowered curtain behind them and a few stage lights overhead.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:07 am

JamesVRoy wrote:The top photo here at least doesn't appear to have any crowd behind them. It almost looks like a partially lowered curtain behind them and a few stage lights overhead.

Sorry, I posted the wrong version of the photo. It's not easy but you can see the audience in this version of the photo.
Most noticeable above Fontana\s head but also same level between Elvis and Scotty and you can also (barely) make out people at foot-level to Scottys left.

The lower stagelights (just right of Scotty and Fontana) are positioned under the rafters (balcony). The reason we don't see those lights in the other photo is probably because someone has tried to clean up the background and erased those as well.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:35 am

bripet56 wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:The top photo here at least doesn't appear to have any crowd behind them. It almost looks like a partially lowered curtain behind them and a few stage lights overhead.

Sorry, I posted the wrong version of the photo. It's not easy but you can see the audience in this version of the photo.
Most noticeable above Fontana\s head but also same level between Elvis and Scotty and you can also (barely) make out people at foot-level to Scottys left.

The lower stagelights (just right of Scotty and Fontana) are positioned under the rafters (balcony). The reason we don't see those lights in the other photo is probably because someone has tried to clean up the background and erased those as well.

Sincerely
Brian

OK, I see the people now. What I thought was the bottom of a curtain was an upper level seating, or balcony. It almost looks arena like, defintely not a theater.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:26 am

These are excellent, Thank YOU!

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 am

I can't find a photo from inside Savannah Sports Arena, but both photos - c01-Steve Rino-bripet56 and 062 (2) - could be from Savannah. I found this, but not a clue, sorry...
http://savannahneighborhoods.org/savann ... rts-arena/

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:58 pm

I don't know if these even fit into this tour or not, but I guess these could be from the Atlanta shows - or maybe someplace else...???
50show.JPG

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:I don't know if these even fit into this tour or not, but I guess these could be from the Atlanta shows - or maybe someplace else...???
50show.JPG

Philadelphia 57
http://scottymoore.net/philadelphia.html