... and the BEST about the SONY BOX is ...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Re: ... and the BEST about the SONY BOX is ...

Post by luckyjackson1 »

So did they probably splice the intro of the original mono single onto the version on the box set to make it sound more "original" ???

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Claus wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Claus wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Two things:

1) The piano intro is clipped here, that is the problem.
2) The original single was a mono release - no original stereo mix. There is no 'correct' stereo mix.
The intro is also clipped on the original mono single.
Is that so? Interesting. Are you able to post a sample?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b99f0e
Doesn't sound clipped to me (not like being discussed here) as in you can hear most of the initial piano strike.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Claus, I have to say thank you once again for your benefit on the various threads.

And before I forget, thank you for the "She's Not You" sound samples, that was EXACTLY was I meant. So all I can do is use the version on the Elvis 75 Box Set.

Sometimes I really wonder if they do this on purpose to force the people to buy all other releases too...???!?!?!??!!

Funny enough, the discs on the Complete masters box are all marked with "2009", so this thing was probably finished before they went back and corrected all the mistakes they already made (or didn't realize) in 2007?

I wish Ernst would confirm this or at least give us a statement on this issue(s).

And thanks for the "Rags To Riches" sound sample, too. Very interesting. Haven't heard it for quite a while.

For a little company
There's always me

Claus

Post by Claus »

Matthew wrote:
Claus wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Claus wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Two things:

1) The piano intro is clipped here, that is the problem.
2) The original single was a mono release - no original stereo mix. There is no 'correct' stereo mix.
The intro is also clipped on the original mono single.
Is that so? Interesting. Are you able to post a sample?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b99f0e
Doesn't sound clipped to me (not like being discussed here) as in you can hear most of the initial piano strike.
Here is Rags To Riches from the silver box.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yqzb2s

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Well, luckyjackson, here I am with some questions:

- 1956- How's the sound on the second LP (Elvis) when compared to Kevan's remaster?
- 1957- Xmas songs, do they sound better?
- 1958- what about the june masters, any improvement?
- 1960- Flaming Star songs (other than the main title), how they sound compared to double features?
- 1962- It happened at the world's fair, anything remarkable?
- 1966- those spinout tracks...how they sound?

How's the intro of Honky tonk angel?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Iván wrote:Well, luckyjackson, here I am with some questions:

- 1956- How's the sound on the second LP (Elvis) when compared to Kevan's remaster?
- 1957- Xmas songs, do they sound better?
- 1958- what about the june masters, any improvement?
- 1960- Flaming Star songs (other than the main title), how they sound compared to double features?
- 1962- It happened at the world's fair, anything remarkable?
- 1966- those spinout tracks...how they sound?

How's the intro of Honky tonk angel?
Phew! You are the expert regarding sound, Iván, but here we go:

a) I think they sound punchier and the EQ is lower compared to Kevan's remaster. Sounds almost no-noised but I guess they are not.
b) Compared to the 50's Box, yes. I don't like the tampering they did on the "White Christmas" intro. Also punchier and lower EQ.
c) They still sound kinda distorted and probably have been recorded that way. Wouldn't really call it improvement. I just think it can't get much better than this.
d) "Summer Kisses, Winter Tears" sounds really clear. "Britches" doesn't have the really bad, annoying echo/reverb anymore. "A Cane And A High Starched Collar" also sounds crystal clear. Guitar left, accordion right and Elvis centered.
I just wonder why the fizzy "s" is clearly audible again on "Flaming Star" ???
e) Hell, yeah. The (digital?) crackling sound on every intro (as on the "Double Features") is gone. Didn't compare it to the FTD though. Here they sound full and warm. Even "How Would You Like To Be" has "drive"! :wink:
f) Didn't compare them but I guess they are no real improvement compared to the FTD. Might sound a little brighter and punchier. IIRC, the LP sounded better.
g) I think the intro is slightly clipped and of course it's still distorted at 0:07.

Sorry Iván, if I couldn't help you any further. Feel free to go on. If I find the time I'll gladly help you.

Cheers! :smt006 ::rocks

For a little company
There's always me

moffringa
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by moffringa »

Gabriel wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Unfortunately the edited tracks from the “Kid Galahad”-soundtrack have been released again in its edited form. It makes perfect sense as the unedited versions were released for the first time in 193.
Wow,that was a long time ago! :wink:
:D some always have troubles with their typing :P

frus75

Post by frus75 »

luckyjackson1 wrote: Sorry Iván, if I couldn't help you any further. Feel free to go on. If I find the time I'll gladly help you.

Cheers! :smt006 ::rocks

You've helped me a lot my friend. Thanks for your time. Having in mind that maybe much more than half of the songs have been already released in this sound (the 7 soundtracks, I Believe, Elvis 75, Elvis 68 comeback, the camdens, the legacy editions, some ftd....) and others didn't use those masters but sounded stellar (all the nashville Sebastian masters) Do you still recommend this box with its (many) highs and (few) lows?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Andy-M
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Andy-M »

BTW Lets Forget About THe Stars sounds great in my ears :D
Finaly with the PIANO track :mrgreen:

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Iván wrote:Do you still recommend this box with its (many) highs and (few) lows?
Iván, yes I would. The book is all right and I like the outer box. If you can spare the money, get it. Or wait if/until it gets cheaper. Otherwise the Franklin Mint set is the better alternative:

Here is my personal opinion/conclusion:

Pro's:
- Songs in chronological order
- Book
- Design of the outer box
- For the first time ALL Elvis masters released during his lifetime on an BMG/SONY/RCAwhatever Set
- Fantastic sound quality on the masters
- Ultimate

Con's:
- Excessively high priced
- sloppy and inefficient CD storage
- some songs clipped and badly edited on intro
- ALL rarities sound worse than the masters by Vic Anesini (thanks to L. R. or whoever mastered them in the past)
- The Design of the CD labels (YES, I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE THEM - I DON'T !!!)
- Discordance relating to edited/unedited masters

Now, everyone has to find out for themselves wheter affording or not. I can fully understand people like the Doc, who say they can't afford it. It also was pretty hard for me too, but I also did it in the past quite a few times - spend more money on Elvis and eat less...
:D

Have a good one! :smt006

For a little company
There's always me

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

- some songs clipped and badly edited on intro
Ok Lucky, I pick up my set tomorrow & to say I am excited is the understatement of the year!! However if the above is the case ( I am not questioning your ability ) & whilst I am a staunch supporter of Ernst & most all he stands for I don't think it unreasonable that all of us here who have purchased this set, write Ernst asking for replacements? I appreciate that may mean going back to the tapes & expense their end but hell we paid a fortune for this set & if it doesn't deliver ( "improved sound" ) then it is not as described.
Just a thought, as I do not have mine as yet but perhaps it will be helpful if we all list the poorly edited songs as a full list in this thread & once satisfied we have covered all mistakes we can then approach Sony / Ernst?

Or maybe I should suggest this in "THE WORST THINGS ABOUT ...... " thread?

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

frus75

Post by frus75 »

Luckyjackson, I was a bit too late, was out of town and as the sign read "200 left" I thought I had enough time. Then it was suddenly gone (like Phil I think they didn't want 200 sets wandering there and shipped them to the japanese to sold them). Anyway, a (new) friend of mine here has 3 (yes, three) sets and will sell me one. I have the money, but I'm no rich by any means, so I am in search of advice, serious advice like yours.

For me the box means to have all of elvis's masters, in chronological order in the best remastered sound. Or to say it other way, the best sound possible without going to the original session tapes. From then on, it'll be time for milking the cow, as those masters will surely appear on the remaining FTD, maybe some budget LP re-releases like the january ones, and of course more runs of the set.

Then, in 2,5 or 10 years there'll come again the remixing way, so we'll always have this set to compare them to...

the cons? well, you have told them:

- they let the overdubbed applause version of bridge instead of choosing the 70's version but yet they put the 70's masters country '70 songs instead of the original mixes (I guess they didn't want to use them with the 10000 years snippets)

- I always miss a technical notes on the booklet (in this case the book). On other artist's releases sometimes there is one and it's very useful (some columbia sinatra releases come to mind). Imagine notes saying "on this song we went to the original tape and reconstructed the master, on this other the master wasn't located, on this there was this thing and we did that)

- The few mistakes you spotted are really annoying....they didn't hear to the final product before releasing it?

Iván

La voz del Rey

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

frus75 wrote:the cons? well, you have told them:

- they let the overdubbed applause version of bridge instead of choosing the 70's version but yet they put the 70's masters country '70 songs instead of the original mixes (I guess they didn't want to use them with the 10000 years snippets)
They can't put the snippets because here it's presented in chronological order, and in the original album it's not... they would have to re-edit the whole thing to insert the snippets of "I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago".. and that would be a complete mess!
frus75 wrote:- I always miss a technical notes on the booklet (in this case the book). On other artist's releases sometimes there is one and it's very useful (some columbia sinatra releases come to mind). Imagine notes saying "on this song we went to the original tape and reconstructed the master, on this other the master wasn't located, on this there was this thing and we did that)
Yeah, I always enjoy reading what they do with a specific song, it's very interesting.

I like your reviews Lucky, they're very honest and objective :mrgreen:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

frus75

Post by frus75 »

BTW, I asked in on another thread but got no response, does the book include sales figures? If so, is it updated or more complete than Day by Day?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

mrbthebarber wrote:Just a thought, as I do not have mine as yet but perhaps it will be helpful if we all list the poorly edited songs as a full list in this thread & once satisfied we have covered all mistakes we can then approach Sony / Ernst?
I think Ernst is going to tell me to shut the f*** up and get a life! :D

I was already bitchin' so much about Lene Reidel, and just like I stated before, maybe I'm a nitpicker and the majority out there don't give a damn about some millisecond clipped intros... :(
frus75 wrote:BTW, I asked in on another thread but got no response, does the book include sales figures? If so, is it updated or more complete than Day by Day?
IIRC, no. I just put the whole thing back together and right now I don't feel like checking it...
Unfortunately I think, not TOO many people are really interested in the technical process. Well, we are! :)
Jimmy Cool wrote:I like your reviews Lucky, they're very honest and objective :mrgreen:
You're very welcome! Thank you very much, Jimmy! I do what I can.

Ivan, is your new friend called "Daryl"? :D

No, really, I can see your point. In this case I would say skip it. Even some mistakes were updated (corrected) on the Elvis75 Box Set so they most likely will also be corrected on future releases. I'm quite sure Ernst already learned about this issues (I really considered sending him a PM) and I'm confident they will try to make it better. If not on this box, then rather on upcoming mainstream and/or FTD Classic Album releases.

For a little company
There's always me

frus75

Post by frus75 »

No, he's not called Daryl :) Lucky, I feel like I can't skip it.....If Mr. Sony comes to your house and offers to you a refund would you give back your box?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

frus75 wrote:I feel like I can't skip it.....If Mr. Sony comes to your house and offers to you a refund would you give back your box?
Iván, you really make it hard for me. Probably in the first place I would trade it against a box that has absolutely NO external flaws (I hope, what I mean is expressed correctly). On the other hand, people will wonder now why I don't try to exchange the whole darn thing. Let me put it that way: it has something to do with laziness...

To answer your question as you asked above: NO, I WOULD NOT.

For a little company
There's always me

frus75

Post by frus75 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
frus75 wrote:I feel like I can't skip it.....If Mr. Sony comes to your house and offers to you a refund would you give back your box?
Iván, you really make it hard for me. Probably in the first place I would trade it against a box that has absolutely NO external flaws (I hope, what I mean is expressed correctly). On the other hand, people will wonder now why I don't try to exchange the whole darn thing. Let me put it that way: it has something to do with laziness...

To answer your question as you asked above: NO, I WOULD NOT.
Sometimes I feel we were born fans, it must be genetic or whatever!

Back on track, do you think we could spot the "new" mixes on the set? those taken from scratch like For The Millionth And The Last Time? or Padre and LTLIL?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

HEEELLO LuckyJackson :smt006

It's a sunday morning over there. A Good Time for another spin of the Complete Masters AYE.

Now is there any appreciable sound improvement on things like the VIVA LAS VEGAS and ROUSTABOUT songs ? Also what are the ELVIS IS BACK, HIS HAND IN MINE tracks like.
Also TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES - Is it a longer fade out or the abrupt one ?

We're hanging on your every word, my friend...

frus75

Post by frus75 »

Robt wrote:HEEELLO LuckyJackson :smt006

It's a sunday morning over there. A Good Time for another spin of the Complete Masters AYE.

Now is there any appreciable sound improvement on things like the VIVA LAS VEGAS and ROUSTABOUT songs ? Also what are the ELVIS IS BACK, HIS HAND IN MINE tracks like.
Also TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES - Is it a longer fade out or the abrupt one ?

We're hanging on your every word, my friend...
I think it's easy to answer your questions, as His Hand In Mine, Roustabout and VLV, along with Good Times were already released in this sound quality. All sound stellar, and Talk is the short version.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

frus75 wrote:I think it's easy to answer your questions, as His Hand In Mine, Roustabout and VLV, along with Good Times were already released in this sound quality. All sound stellar, and Talk is the short version.
Exactly, my friend. Just like "Carny Town". :D

THIS PROBABLY BELONGS TO THE ... WORST OF... THREAD BUT WHATEVER:

Somebody wrote that the "Roustabout" tracks sound worse here. They actually sound punchier and with lower EQ.

I must say the whole soundtrack (except for "There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon") has a lot of (unnatural? additional added?) echo... hmmm, mysterious! To me the echo sounds like on the first "Girl Happy"-FTD escape.
Or even worse, like the annoying 90's computer reverb...

"Hard Knocks" has a slight drop-out at 0:03 on the left channel, while at the same time on the right you can hear somebody's voice or whatever this is... strange!

I don't know, I haven't listened to my 80's LP pressing for a long time. Can anybody confirm that there was a lot of echo on the original album???
frus75 wrote:Back on track, do you think we could spot the "new" mixes on the set? those taken from scratch like For The Millionth And The Last Time? or Padre and LTLIL?
Hmmm, that's hard. I wouldn't figure out right away. But "For The Millionth And The Last Time" sounds really neat. :)

For a little company
There's always me

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Quote LJ "Talk is the short version".

That's disappointing to learn . So it fades off abruptly just like when it first was released on GOOD TIMES ?

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Robt wrote:That's disappointing to learn . So it fades off abruptly just like when it first was released on GOOD TIMES ?
Yes, as it was originally released on March 20, 1974.

For a little company
There's always me

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

... and the BEST about the SONY BOX is ...

Luckyjackson1's review :smt003

minel

Post by minel »

I have now listened to the first 20 cd:s of the set.
They sound FANTASTIC! It has been a real pleasure listening to them.
It´s almost like listen to the old vinyls. The sound is warm and clear and the dynamic
is improved from earlier cd:s.

Luckyjacson: I´ve enjoyed your posts and your keen eye to details. I suppose you are
listening to headphones? I´ve been listening through a pair of good (German :D) speakers driven by two poweramplifiers and missed most of the mistakes you have noticed. It sounds so good to me that it´s hard to notice small mistakes.

It´s great to hear Elvis sound this good.