... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: ... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Kylan wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Interesting. Thank you, gents.
hmmm i figured you would pop up! you're one of the good guys but man... try working on being a bit more subtle next time. i dont see u anywhere else in the Complete Masters discussion except surprise... here! amazing! :roll:
Just busy with other things of late, Kyl', like oh seeing to it that my third child is safely born, etc. Believe it or not, for some of us, this forum is just an occasional diversion that we largely cannot keep up with merely for time reasons. But the criticisms of this set posted do help confirm my well-documented sense that this set, it may be argued, is not essential for even many hard-core fans. My statement above therefore was genuinely a sincere reaction and not meant to say that it does not have other qualities.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

LuckyJackson To reiterate, is there any other tracks on the Complete Masters you found were either clipped or of other anomalies. What is the sound like on the "Easy Come Easy Go" and "Change of Habit"
material ?

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Just busy with other things of late, Kyl', like oh seeing to it that my third child is safely born, etc. Believe it or not, for some of us, this forum is just an occasional diversion that we largely cannot keep up with merely for time reasons. But the criticisms of this set posted do help confirm my well-documented sense that this set, it may be argued, is not essential for even many hard-core fans. My statement above therefore was genuinely a sincere reaction and not meant to say that it does not have other qualities.
Hey Greg, it seems like almost everybody is pleased with the Box Set. Sometimes I think I'm only one of VERY FEW that are dissatisfied with certain unimportant things.

Oh, and all the best wishes to you and your family! Take care!
Robt wrote:LuckyJackson To reiterate, is there any other tracks on the Complete Masters you found were either clipped or of other anomalies. What is the sound like on the "Easy Come Esay Go" and "Change of Habit"
material ?
The "Easy Come, Easy Go" soundtrack sounds like on the FTD. At least I can't hear any difference.
The "Change Of Habit" stuff sounds mighty fine.
Don't know what kind of fuss I create when I say the intro to "Change Of Habit" sounds clipped to me and the VERY END of "Let Us Pray" is faded for whatever reason... probably it's perfectly normal! :D

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Phil
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Phil »

No no, the worst of this set is the fact that it is not yet in my hands.

Phil

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Phil wrote:No no, the worst of this set is the fact that it is not yet in my hands.
or mine! :wink:

Iván

La voz del Rey

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here are two examples of how well the "rarities" have been treated:
My Happiness Waveform.jpg
One Broken Heart For Sale (Movie Version) Waveform.jpg
Now if somebody please could help and tell me how to upload sound samples, I would gladly like to do it.
From the visual point of view. The waveforms look just fine with no sign of brickwalling/clipping etc. My Happiness looks quiet as it should. IMO.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

... and the WORST about the SONY BOX is...

Not being able to hear some sound excerpts of songs that Luckyjackson1 and others states is clipped and other anomalies (such as Miss Riedel's remastering). :evil:

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

This has turned into the Lene Reidel forum. Broken record city.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

Anybody else have a problem on Disc 28, Track 26, "Let Yourself Go". At about 2:25 near the end of the song the track stutters on "...let yourself g-go...". ???

And I too have noticed the terrible drop-outs on "Tomorrow Night". Disc 28 really is a joke. I also cannot fathom why they've tidied some alternate takes and masters up and just made them sound like normal songs that start and end properly, yet left some with the opening chatter and noises that lasts quite a long time. Especially on some Alternate Masters and Movie Masters. It's just very poor.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Good Time Charlie wrote:Anybody else have a problem on Disc 28, Track 26, "Let Yourself Go". At about 2:25 near the end of the song the track stutters on "...let yourself g-go...". ???

And I too have noticed the terrible drop-outs on "Tomorrow Night". Disc 28 really is a joke. I also cannot fathom why they've tidied some alternate takes and masters up and just made them sound like normal songs that start and end properly, yet left some with the opening chatter and noises that lasts quite a long time. Especially on some Alternate Masters and Movie Masters. It's just very poor.
Thank you, Good Time Charlie.

The "Let Yourself Go" error is unfortunately back again. Sounds like a bad splice or something. I forgot on what CD I heard it for the first time, but I found this:

""Let Yourself Go" as first released by RCA on 'A Legendary Performer Volume 3' and more recently on 'The Complete '68 Comeback Special' is actually different from start to finish as opposed to the version on the 1991 CD 'NBC TV Special'. The ending is obviously edited with the word "go" being interrupted before the spliced part begins ("g---go"). It sounds as if the take may have been close to a breakdown just before the repaired ending."

One more addition: at 2:22 there's a noise, that sounds like a vinyl crackle!

For a little company
There's always me

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Anybody else have a problem on Disc 28, Track 26, "Let Yourself Go". At about 2:25 near the end of the song the track stutters on "...let yourself g-go...". ???

Thank you, Good Time Charlie.

The "Let Yourself Go" error is unfortunately back again. Sounds like a bad splice or something. I forgot on what CD I heard it for the first time, but I found this:

""Let Yourself Go" as first released by RCA on 'A Legendary Performer Volume 3' and more recently on 'The Complete '68 Comeback Special' is actually different from start to finish as opposed to the version on the 1991 CD 'NBC TV Special'. The ending is obviously edited with the word "go" being interrupted before the spliced part begins ("g---go"). It sounds as if the take may have been close to a breakdown just before the repaired ending."

One more addition: at 2:22 there's a noise, that sounds like a vinyl crackle!
I have pretty much no problems with the main bulk of this set, Discs 1-27. But the last 3 Discs have been put together rather shoddily with no effort to go back and re-master these and sort out obvious tape issues. They've literally just lifted the tracks form various sources over the past 20 odd years and placed them on the 3 CD's. It stops this set short of becoming perfect - which is a shame because overall it's marvellous in it's achievements.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Good Time Charlie wrote:I have pretty much no problems with the main bulk of this set, Discs 1-27. But the last 3 Discs have been put together rather shoddily with no effort to go back and re-master these and sort out obvious tape issues. They've literally just lifted the tracks form various sources over the past 20 odd years and placed them on the 3 CD's. It stops this set short of becoming perfect - which is a shame because overall it's marvellous in it's achievements.
Agreed. 100%.
So how do we call this?
The "Today FTD Syndrome"? :?

For a little company
There's always me

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

Anybody else have a problem on Disc 28, Track 26, "Let Yourself Go". At about 2:25 near the end of the song the track stutters on "...let yourself g-go...". ???
Just to re-emphasize: This is the way this track was originally released, and therefore, defensible as true to the historical record:
The ending is obviously edited with the word "go" being interrupted before the spliced part begins ("g---go"). It sounds as if the take may have been close to a breakdown just before the repaired ending.
http://www.keithflynn.com

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:I have pretty much no problems with the main bulk of this set, Discs 1-27. But the last 3 Discs have been put together rather shoddily with no effort to go back and re-master these and sort out obvious tape issues. They've literally just lifted the tracks form various sources over the past 20 odd years and placed them on the 3 CD's. It stops this set short of becoming perfect - which is a shame because overall it's marvellous in it's achievements.
Agreed. 100%.
So how do we call this?
The "Today FTD Syndrome"? :?
Sure that's a good name my friend! :D

Iván

La voz del Rey

blue boy
Registered for: 20 years

Post by blue boy »

Welll, why don't we all make our complains to Sony, they charged us for a top noch product and at least the masters should be in pristine condition. Has anyone made a
complain to Sony yet? How bout you Lucky?

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

blue boy wrote:Welll, why don't we all make our complains to Sony, they charged us for a top noch product and at least the masters should be in pristine condition. Has anyone made a
complain to Sony yet? How bout you Lucky?
Nope.

elvissessions, you should have taken the quote from the "Master & Sessions"-site then your message wouldn't have been partially deleted... :D :roll:

For a little company
There's always me

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The intial sales figures of most (not all) releases are mentioned in the narrative of the book. One complaint about the book. They do not always use the first pressing covers. Sometimes they even used 70s reissues for 50s covers! (Elvis 2nd album is an example) I can't believe they would not have the connections that would allow them to use ONLY first pressing artwork. It is very rare that the first pressing of Gold Vol 2 is ever used (with the LPM 2075 inside the RCA Victor box on the upper right, rather than alone in the lower left, like the 1962 RI has (because that is when it became available as LSP 2075(e), denoted on the upper left), same sheet of paper arranged accordingly. I guess the official archive is not interested in collecting first pressings.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

But hey, this is the perfect one for beginning fans to buy! :smt006

Blue River
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Blue River »

luckyjackson1 wrote:... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...
The co$t.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Quoting LuckyJackson:

"The overdubbed version of “Tomorrow Night” still has the first note clipped and sounds terrible throughout - the right channel sounds like there’s a constant drop-out, like it’s been taken from a worn-out tape source!"

The overdubbed version is electronically processed StErEo I have another CD (Elvis For Everyone) that is in mono and sounds fairly good.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Last edited by Matthew on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

A Little Less Conversation. The original single version (in stereo) is included and the one from the 68 Special is included, but they omitted the take that was released on the Almost In Love LP. I wonder how they missed that?