... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: ... and the worst about the SONY BOX is ...

Post by TONY »

Claus wrote:They indicate the loudness of the tracks.

So does just 'loudness' mean it's worse? For example, "Elvis at Sun" has better quality sound than ever before on these tracks for the most part, but it is mastered too quietly. When listenening to it on my ipod, even with the volume up highest, it sounds too quiet compared to many other artists cd's.

Claus

Post by Claus »

No. Loudness doesn't affect sound quality as long as it's not mastered too loud. If something is mastered too loud, it can cause distortion, so mastering engineers use hard-limiting to prevent that, which keeps the peaks in check and they can then raise the volume. If hard-limiting is used, dynamics are reduced but it can be a useful tool.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="Claus"]No. Loudness doesn't affect sound quality as long as it's not mastered too loud. If something is mastered too loud, it can cause distortion, quote]

A good case in point is the Springsteen album "Magic" - a good album spoilt by being mastered way too loud.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Quote Luckyjackson " I was just hoping that the "rarities" would have also been remastered top-notch."

Hmmmmm fair point, we'll just have to wait and hear what other FECC'rs thoughts are. I knew from the minute i saw the tracklistings of the rarities section and the omission of "My Way" (the 1977 Rapid City single version) that the last three discs could have been presented better.

LJ, if you got the facilities, why not simply make yourself CDR copies from previous sources of the songs you felt were badly remastered by Ms L and never touch discs 28-30 again ?

TONY

Post by TONY »

Robt wrote:
LJ, if you got the facilities, why not simply make yourself CDR copies from previous sources of the songs you felt were badly remastered by Ms L and never touch discs 28-30 again ?
A good idea but surely when forking out the equivalent of around £60 for these 3 CD's, then you would expect top-notch sound.

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

TONY wrote:A good idea but surely when forking out the equivalent of around £60 for these 3 CD's, then you would expect top-notch sound.
Here we go again... :lol:
But you're right, TONY. That was something I really expected (except for the book). And actually one of the main reasons, why I preferred this and not the Franklin Mint Set.
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Mike DK »

Tony;

I agree..the Springsteen album "Magic" has got the be one of the worst sounding albums ever.

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Mike DK wrote:Tony;

I agree..the Springsteen album "Magic" has got the be one of the worst sounding albums ever.
Watch out for the Doc! :wink: :D Your opinion, Mr. Carpenter?

And the last Metallica album (the regular CD release) had been mastered so badly, that they IIRC, released a different, hence a better mastering (I think it was an Audio DVD or SACD or whatever).

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by buddy holly »

I´m pretty sure the worst of the box is it´s price.

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="blue boy"]I bought it to get rid of all the old albums cd's I had for ages like promised land bought in the early 90's.Also the 50 60 70, boxset goes out the door togheter with the three cd collectors gold. What stays is FTD classic albums and some bootlegs.
quote]

If you sell the "Promised land" cd, you will not have the much longer fade-outs on the songs "Love song of the year" and "your love's been a long time coming" (nearly a minute longer!). If you sell your 60's box set, you do not have the Elvis/Sinatra "Witchcraft" duet officially in good sound. If you sell your 70's set, you will lose the variation of the track "It's different now" plus all the 'mix reconstructions' on a lot of the other material. If you sell your 50's box set then nowhere will you have the lengthy "Elvis sails" interview that was on the end of cd 4. I'm sure there's other reasons why one needs to hold on to all of these previous re-releases.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

If he had the early 90's Promised Land disc (as he stated), he did not have those two track variations you mentioned. That remaster was released in 2000.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

Phil
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Phil »

Something interessant would be to compare My happiness of the set with my happiness japanese version in 24 bites.

Phil

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

you mean we have to eat the japanese version or both?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

"Elvis at Sun" is not mastered 'too quiet'. If it were mastered much louder there would be clipping.

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

When listenening to it on my ipod, even with the volume up highest, it sounds too quiet compared to many other artists cd's.
The solution isn't for everyone to master discs too loud to keep up with the dipshits who can't control themselves.

The solution is for you to learn to use replaygain, which will indicate your support for responsible mastering such as that found on Elvis at Sun.

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

So far I've found no sound problems with the rarities discs. I'm very pleased with them.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Sound quality (good or bad) is subjective. One person prefers this another prefers that. It doesn't make one right and the other wrong. It's a matter of preference. Glad to hear you're satisfied.

TONY

Post by TONY »

Frankie Teardrop wrote:If he had the early 90's Promised Land disc (as he stated), he did not have those two track variations you mentioned. That remaster was released in 2000.

My mistake. If there weren't so many re-releases / remasters / repackages of the same material over and over again, these errors wouldn't occur.

TONY

Post by TONY »

elvissessions wrote:
When listenening to it on my ipod, even with the volume up highest, it sounds too quiet compared to many other artists cd's.
The solution isn't for everyone to master discs too loud to keep up with the dipshits who can't control themselves.

The solution is for you to learn to use replaygain, which will indicate your support for responsible mastering such as that found on Elvis at Sun.
I don't have this problem with other artists CD's - The Rolling Stones recent 'remasters' have far more volume (about normal I would say) and there is NO distortion at all and much improved on previous issues. I like a bit of volume. With "Elvis at Sun", if a butterfly flies past or something, you can't hear it properly!

By the way, what's a 'dipshit' and what do you mean about people 'controlling themselves'?!

Thekingstillrocks
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Thekingstillrocks »

Hi everyone !

I recieved my boxset today, I reall looked forward to it , I waited along time and bought it at the very last moment.
Very well packed in a large box size of a mini tower pc and when opening it I believed they made a mistake , it's huge and it is real.
A personaly sign paper with number from Ernst and on the back of the box again a number printed .. not in the book or CD book.

Dying to hear the impressive sound and being really crazy about 1969, I pulled out the original albums and the cds I have to compare.

Which are :
The complete masters disc 17 and 18
First release of the vinyl album from Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis.
The Japanees 24 Bit masterings
And for fun also the Legacy edition of From Elvis in Memphis.
I skipped the others since they are all less than the aboved mentioned

Funny enough the tracks sound better on the boxset compared to the Legacy edition of FEIM , I expected to be equal.. :shock:

But the 24 Bit from Japan are better getting the same feeling with the original vinyl sound, What I hear on the original albums is a vibrant alive sound, the same songs, It sounds borring the complete masters box set.

I didn't read the book yet but it looks very deluxe but nothing special borring, best photos in it are the various mike shots and mixing desks, that really looks cool. printing itself is not great.

So far I'm not impressed with the sound indeed the Lene Reidel bonus discs you can ignore it is nothing special.
I trust the fact that they can't be all less ..

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

Funny enough the tracks sound better on the boxset compared to the Legacy edition of FEIM , I expected to be equal..
Unfortunately, your misperception on this point calls into question any subsequent observations.

These releases are identical, and the tracks I've spot-checked are even transferred at the exact same volume.

Your mind is playing tricks on you.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Deleted.
Last edited by Claus on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

Who claimed that?

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

Deleted User 930

Post by Deleted User 930 »

elvissessions wrote:
Funny enough the tracks sound better on the boxset compared to the Legacy edition of FEIM , I expected to be equal..
Unfortunately, your misperception on this point calls into question any subsequent observations.

These releases are identical, and the tracks I've spot-checked are even transferred at the exact same volume.

Your mind is playing tricks on you.
I haven't seen the CDs of the boxset, but this could be true.
The CDs of FEIM are clear around the whole in the middle and on the edge.
You should know that this causes a loss of soundquality. So if the CDs of the boxset
are printed all the way through, Thekingstillrocks could be right.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Who claimed that?
Sorry, I misread it. It was actually a question.