Elvis Complete Masters Box How is the Lene Reidel mastering?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis Complete Masters Box How is the Lene Reidel master

Post by KiwiAlan »

If Lene has masterted I'm A Roustbout.......does that mean we might expect an Roustabout FTD issue is forthcoming.

I am also appalled at this rat pack vemon being directed at Lene Reidel. She can only work with the material she is given. By implication are people suggesting that Ernst is an idiot for using Tocano

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Robt wrote:Why can't the wacker earlier on this thread be a little more specific as to which songs on disc 28-30 he felt were poor ?
The "wacker" just started a new thread... :wink:
To reiterate, the focus of the CM was, in the main, lifetime recordings and NOT the rarities.
I saluted you on the other thread.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Quote Kiwialan "I am also appalled at this rat pack vemon being directed at Lene Reidel. She can only work with the material she is given."

Well stated my friend. The knives are out for Ms L.

TONY

Post by TONY »

Robt wrote:Quote Kiwialan "I am also appalled at this rat pack vemon being directed at Lene Reidel. She can only work with the material she is given."

She was 'given' "Unchained melody" (the title given to an FTD CD featuring live recordings from 1977) the same as bootleggers, but just compare the song "Where no one stands alone" to the old Fort Baxter bootleg "Moody blue and other great performances". There are other mastering atrocities by Lene as well which have been pointed out thru the years.

draig goch
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by draig goch »

TONY wrote:
Robt wrote:Quote Kiwialan "I am also appalled at this rat pack vemon being directed at Lene Reidel. She can only work with the material she is given."

She was 'given' "Unchained melody" (the title given to an FTD CD featuring live recordings from 1977) the same as bootleggers, but just compare the song "Where no one stands alone" to the old Fort Baxter bootleg "Moody blue and other great performances". There are other mastering atrocities by Lene as well which have been pointed out thru the years.
Cant understand why some members here keep banging on about recording engineers? perhaps there should be a seperate forum for these people! lets just discuss the man and his music!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

TONY wrote:There are other mastering atrocities by Lene as well which have been pointed out thru the years.
This doesn't mean that everything a person has worked on is to be considered ruin because the facts speak otherwise.

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike DK »

I think we can call Lene Reidel a "hit or miss" enginer. Some of her work sounds good while some sounds bad. One problem that I have with her is that even when something sounds nice, I always get that feeling..could it sound even better if Vic Anesini or Sebastian J. had mastered it ?

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

On the second pressing of "Complete Masters" do you suppose it would be good idea to leave out discs 28, 29, 30 and drop the price accordingly :mrgreen:

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Mike DK wrote:I think we can call Lene Reidel a "hit or miss" enginer. Some of her work sounds good while some sounds bad. One problem that I have with her is that even when something sounds nice, I always get that feeling..could it sound even better if Vic Anesini or Sebastian J. had mastered it ?
True. Perhaps Vic supervised her efforts?

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Robt wrote:On the second pressing of "Complete Masters" do you suppose it would be good idea to leave out discs 28, 29, 30 and drop the price accordingly :mrgreen:

Yes. Those discs should never had been there in the first place

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

I agree, the three disc of "rarities" would have been best omitted from the box set. Or, in my opinion, the three discs should have been reserved only for studio outtakes such as an outtake of "Heartbreak Hotel" and numerous other such historically significant studio efforts (or professionally recorded "live" performances). I personally don't think inferior recorded home recordings, life takes from the audience, etc. merit release on a set such as this, particularly where we have them already. Still, the box set is overall great and my comments are not meant as criticism of anybody. All and all Ernst does a fine job!

MT

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

KiwiAlan wrote:
Robt wrote:On the second pressing of "Complete Masters" do you suppose it would be good idea to leave out discs 28, 29, 30 and drop the price accordingly :mrgreen:

Yes. Those discs should never had been there in the first place
I disagree. A very intriguing part of the Elvis Presley story is the recordings outside of the masters. There is a portion of the consumer-base that purchased this set that does not collect FTD titles and other mainstream Presley sets issued over the years. The rarities discs play an important role. If anything, they give you guys something to complain about!

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

I agree. I think the discs -- conceptually -- are an important part of this collection. I even agree with most of the track selections. (No one will agree with them all.) I do wish the mastering had been handled differently. That was a disappointment.