Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Funniest Fan comments on Audience Recordings

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:02 am

I was just listening to New Years Eve FTD. During "Rags to Riches" a woman tells Elvis to "Play it". And he says "Don't tell me to play it! I will when I get ready."

Then During "Can't Help Falling In Love" something happens, and a man says "Watch where the hell yer walkin' !" Maybe someone stepped on his foot?

Anyway, what are some other examples of absurd comments during Elvis shows that you've heard?

Re: Funniest Fan comments on Audience Recordings

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:19 am

He's singing Fever in Vegas, on 8/25/73. A very excited young lady, close to the tape recorder, is shreiking, "You give me Fever baby!" It's along the same lines as the girl in Pittsburgh that "accompanies" him on Are You Lonesome Tonight.

One fan comment that makes me a little misty is the faraway female voice we hear in Indy, as the band begins Bridge Over Troubled Water." "I love you Elllllvassss!"

There's also a '71 Vegas tape, where at the end of the show a woman asks, "I didn't think it was short?" The guy with her says, disgustedly, "Yes."

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:05 am

Pine Bluff September 8, 1976, opening riff, female fan "Look at that belly"!

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:15 am

Las Vegas, December 11(?), 1976 - "Go back to Tennessee, boy!"

I didn't particularly see the humor in it though.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 am

After Elvis finished the Johnny Cash Medley "Folsom Prison Blues/I Walk The Line" on the August 14, 1970 show, a guy and a girl where talking about what was that all about...
Sorry, can't remember the exact comments

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:47 am

I recall on an audience recording I listened to recently, one girl shouts out requesting "I Got Lucky" - I thought that was pretty funny... :D

Not because of my user name, it was just... funny.
Most likely Elvis would've complied her request... :mrgreen:

Is it possible that it was during the intro of Elvis' solo effort on "Why Me Lord"?

Can't check it right now.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Rob wrote:Las Vegas, December 11(?), 1976 - "Go back to Tennessee, boy!"

What was the context of this one, Rob?

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Vegas,august 30 1974 M/S

Before starting 'An American Trilogy' a woman in the audience says: "I love you Elvis" then a guy shouts: "I HATE YOU ELVIS" then Elvis replies: "FÜCK YOU!".

Though most fans know only the soundboard version,this dialogue is probably audible on the audience recording version,too.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Hardly qualifies as a 'funniest fan comment' then, does it ?

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:52 pm

During Pittsburgh '76 a male fan yells "GOD SAVE THE KING" right after that Elvis says "thank you". I'm not sure if the "thank you" was ment for the guy but it fits perfect.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:16 pm

A man says to a woman on one of the Vegas audience tapes, "Wow, He looks drugged up."

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:23 pm

November 12 1970. The Thrill Goes On. The guys recording it talk through it, great commentary. At one point someone else in the audience says 'look at all that makeup'... Or something along those lines. I'm not sure if they are talking about E or not, but it seems strange to bring it up otherwise. But E did look amazing in 1970 so perhaps it was the makeup :/

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:56 pm

I like the talking of a lady during the closing vamp of the aug. 30. 1971 D/S.
Not that it's so funny (i don't even understand half of it) but she's obviously elated and it's interesting to hear her comments while the show is not even over and the band is still playing the closing vamp.

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... imp/21.ram

archdeak wrote:A man says to a woman on one of the Vegas audience tapes, "Wow, He looks drugged up."

Interesting. Which show was it?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 am

At one show (Niagara Falls?), when Elvis tells the audience he wants to introduce the band, a woman yells out WHO CARES!

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 am

ColinB wrote:

Hardly qualifies as a 'funniest fan comment' then, does it ?

It was funny in a peculiar sort of way and not necessarily humorous. As a matter of fact, I didn't hear anyone laugh. My first reaction was, "Shut the hell up, you old bastard."

But then I realized it was Lamar yelling from the balcony.
Last edited by Rob on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 am

Somewhere on the CBS-tapes (not in the final TV-show) you can hear someone in the audience yell "You look sick!" if you listen carefully. Not really an audience recording, but I guess it fits none the less. Not funny though, I admit

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm sorry I cannot remember the date of the show, but there is an incomplete audience recording of a 1977 concert where I "think" during Fairytale, you here a guard approach the person taping the show and they begin to argue over the recorder. In the end, the guard takes the recorder and naturally the recording stops. It is entertaining to hear the exchange though. A fan's entire evening ruined for no good reason at all.

Nikki

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 pm

That date would be interesting....

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:39 pm

It was on a cassette tape I aquired many moons ago from Captain Arkansas. Hopefully, another forum member will recognize the show and remember the date.
Somewhere there is a big box of Conway Cassette Tapes with those little yellow slip covers featuring that Elvis characature (Looks like a Tallhair drawing) but I
don't know where?

Nikki

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:06 am

NikkiTCB wrote:Somewhere there is a big box of Conway Cassette Tapes with those little yellow slip covers featuring that Elvis characature (Looks like a Tallhair drawing) but I don't know where?

God, that brings back memories.

The show in question came from February '77 if I recall correctly.

Maybe Orlando?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 am

It does bring back memories doesn't it. Every single one of those tapes smelled strongly of cigerette smoke. Opening a package upon arrival would take your breath away!

Nikki

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 pm

The girls sound like they are climaxing during the intro to one of the Summer 75 Vegas shows. It's on side one of the Request Box Shows LP.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Mister Mike wrote:At one show (Niagara Falls?), when Elvis tells the audience he wants to introduce the band, a woman yells out WHO CARES!

Isn't this the Pittsburg New Years Eve 76 show? I might be wrong but I have heard this, I think from there.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:52 pm

On Feburary 20, 1977 in Charlotte one fan always screams.."MR.PESLEY"..
It`s so funny.. :lol:

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

NikkiTCB wrote:I'm sorry I cannot remember the date of the show, but there is an incomplete audience recording of a 1977 concert where I "think" during Fairytale, you here a guard approach the person taping the show and they begin to argue over the recorder. In the end, the guard takes the recorder and naturally the recording stops. It is entertaining to hear the exchange though. A fan's entire evening ruined for no good reason at all.

Nikki

It was during the Norman, OK, March 25th 1977 concert. On June 28th 2005 'Rockinrebel' said the following about this incident:

rockinrebel wrote:Hi Mike,

An English fan at Elvis’ Norman Oklahoma appearance taped the show, on March 25th 1977. The show was unusual in that Elvis performed “Funny How Time Slips Away” very early on in the show (3rd song if I’m remembering things correctly).

You can hear the security people approach him as Sherrill Nielsen starts singing “O Sole Mio” and then the tape cuts out

I once had that tape also, but a few years ago I lost all I had at the current time because of a computer crash.