Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Just listened to Cincinnati November 11, 1971 ES

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:45 pm

....as released on The Unreachable Star by SR Records. The sound is not the best..as always with releases by this label. Just a copy and paste job from what`s available on CDR. But the show is a powerhouse performance..rarely heard a show with such dynamics...reminded me of the famous 69 performances in Las Vegas..Elvis doesn`t speak much but he bangs out a total of 26 songs..!! And each of them is sung either with pure stage power like Proud Mary, Polk Salad Annie or Suspicious Minds,...or softness and passion like You`ve Lost That Lovin Feeling or Bridge Over Troubled Water..even Hound Dog gets a special treatment with the bluesy beginning.. I was just wondering..when did he do this earlier..?..Are You Lonesome Tonght is a bit funny as Elvis jokes with the audience..nice..How Great Thou Art sounds almost devotional without the bombastic ending..also very, very good is Mystery Train/Tiger Man...being sung in a highspeed tempo..fantastic..we also hear one of the first versions of the Hawaiian Wedding Song...great !..all in all one of the best shows I ever heard..with excellent setlist..pity that the sound is not that good..

The Unreachable Star

Re: Just listened to Cincinnati November 11, 1971 ES

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:01 pm

The sound isn't that good, but the performance tops the one given the previous day in Boston.

Absolutely worth a listen.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 pm

My words...Rob !!

::rocks

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

I've had this SR release for awhile and finally gave it a listen, and I'm glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised - not great, but not bad especially with headphones. Like Cisco mentions it's a copy from the CDR there's about 3 seconds of silence during the beginning of Bridge that's a little odd that was on the CDR too. But it's nice to hear something decent from these early tours.

I like SR's idea to focus on earlier Elvis, but with a couple of exceptions (A Thunder In The Night - Trying To Get To Memphis) their releases are generally C-R-A-P, with ugly artwork. I wonder if SA or Rainbow or Touchdown could do something better?
-

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 pm

The problem is..when you choose such a bad source..what can you do..?

The Impossible Dream and S.Minds are reversed on the SR release..just a side note,,.. :wink: