Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Sun Records/Elvis in the 50:s.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:32 am

SUN Lover wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
And Marion!

Absolutely! A reverent nod to Marion, too!

(In fact, I've already put in my request to come back as Marion in my next life.)

I'm not sure what that means. You have a yen for Sam, Elvis or both?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SUN Lover wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
And Marion!

Absolutely! A reverent nod to Marion, too!

(In fact, I've already put in my request to come back as Marion in my next life.)

I'm not sure what that means. You have a yen for Sam, Elvis or both?

Let's just say I like to be kissed -- and saluted. In that order.

Marion turns up at a LOT of key moments in Elvis's life -- not just at 706 Union. She did so many cool things in radio, in the military, etc.. Very interesting life.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:13 am

Indeed. In fact, no Marion Keisker, no "Elvis Presley."

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:34 am

Yet, for all the greatness of the Sun era recordings, if it weren't for what happened in 1956, they would probably only be appreciated today but by rockabilly aficionados and music scholars.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am

Mister Mike wrote:Yet, for all the greatness of the Sun era recordings, if it weren't for what happened in 1956, they would probably only be appreciated today but by rockabilly aficionados and music scholars.

Oh, you mean, like how no one knows who Robert Johnson is?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:02 am

If I was forced to line up my top five Sun songs versus my top five RCA 50s songs the Sun songs would probably win.
But, as said above, I too love all eras and find it hard to chose.

Good Rockin' Tonight
Mystery Train
Baby Let's Play House
That's All Right
My Baby's Gone

Are probably my top 5 Sun cuts, though No.5 is inter-changable

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:Yet, for all the greatness of the Sun era recordings, if it weren't for what happened in 1956, they would probably only be appreciated today but by rockabilly aficionados and music scholars.

Yes!

Could more than 1% of the western world population name a Robert Johnson song?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:27 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes!

Thank you!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Tony Joe White once lamented in a song that hardly anyone knew the legend of Robert Johnson, Who are we to argue with TJW?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 pm

The Sun recordings would be just as incredible if only 1% of the population knew about them.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:The Sun recordings would be just as incredible if only 1% of the population knew about them.

But surely we could resell / reinvent them by adding some (c)rap 'performer' over them or perhaps some element of heavy rock?! :lol:

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:47 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Oh, you mean, like how no one knows who Robert Johnson is?

Yes!

You're just a tad outside of any reasonable demographic.

Ah, but the great Robert Johnson.

Robert Johnson - 1936 Photo Booth

The first official Johnson LP appeared over 48 years ago.

Billboard - October 9, 1961

However, one wonders ... just who were the MILLION people who bought Columbia's Grammy Award-winning Robert Johnson box set in 1990-91?

That's TWO MILLION discs by the obscure, 1930s blues singer Robert Johnson.

The Complete Recordings is a compilation album by American blues musician Robert Johnson, released August 28, 1990 on Columbia Records. The album's recordings were recorded in two sessions in Dallas and San Antonio, Texas for the American Record Company (ARC) during 1936 and 1937. Most of the songs were first released on 78rpm records in 1937. The Complete Recordings contains every recording Johnson is known to have made, with the exception of an alternate take of "Traveling Riverside Blues".

The Complete Recordings peaked at number 80 on the Billboard 200 chart. The album has sold more than a million copies, and won a Grammy Award in 1991 for "Best Historical Album." In 1992, the Blues Foundation inducted the album into the Blues Hall of Fame. It also was included by the National Recording Preservation Board in the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry in 2003. The board selects recordings in an annual basis that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Recordings_(Robert_Johnson_album)

Over ONE MILLION sets sold.

Your often hyper-aggressive replies are always so amusing.

They prove over and over again the adage that one is "never too old to learn."

Elvis' 1954-55 Sun recordings could well stand on their own in the same manner as the 1990 box set.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:02 am

Indeed.

I had said only one in a hundred people would know a Robert Johnson song title.

On your figures I should have said one in 200 , at best, would have heard a Robert Johnson title.

(one million sales against 200 million US population)

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:30 am

For me, there's something magical about those Sun recordings,nothing will ever surpass them,as far as i'm concerned. This is the REAL Elvis!! As much as i love Elvis' RCA 50's recordings...those Sun sides i will NEVER get tied of. THEY ARE JUST SO SPECIAL!!!

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:For me, there's something magical about those Sun recordings,nothing will ever surpass them,as far as i'm concerned. This is the REAL Elvis!! As much as i love Elvis' RCA 50's recordings...those Sun sides i will NEVER get tied of. THEY ARE JUST SO SPECIAL!!!

You go ahead and take your magical Sun recordings, mysterytrainrideson.

I'll take the following ~
Money Honey
I Was The One
My Baby Left Me
One Sided Love Affair
Playing For Keeps
Love Me
How's The World Treating You?
Paralyzed
Anyplace Is Paradise
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (1957)
One Night of Sin
Is It So Strange
One Night
I Need You So
When It Rains It Really Pours (1957)
Treat Me Nice (Sept. 5, 1957)
Don't
Santa Claus Is Back In Town
Doncha' Think It's Time

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:For me, there's something magical about those Sun recordings,nothing will ever surpass them,as far as i'm concerned. This is the REAL Elvis!! As much as i love Elvis' RCA 50's recordings...those Sun sides i will NEVER get tied of. THEY ARE JUST SO SPECIAL!!!

The Sun recordings are a joy and a revelation. And they still sound fresh, lo these many years later.

Do you have A Boy From Tupelo?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The Sun recordings are a joy and a revelation. And they still sound fresh, lo these many years later.

I do indeed, Doc. Got it as soon as Chris Giles had recieved it. I went bombing down to Chris' faster then you can imagine. Haven't stopped playing it.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:54 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I do indeed, Doc. Got it as soon as Chris Giles had received it. I went bombing down to Chris' faster then you can imagine. Haven't stopped playing it.

Right on! It is a fantastic release!