Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The best live version of Hound Dog...

Sat May 08, 2010 7:21 am

There are many instances where Elvis performed That's All Right at a very high level, but he never topped his 1954 SUN master. One of the great recordings in all of rock and roll.

Sat May 08, 2010 8:52 am

Ken Jensen wrote:You gotta make up your mind, John. You either agree with Steve that the ’50s versions are better than the sit-down versions, or you don’t. Stop contradicting yourself!

There is no contradiction, Ken.

I was never agreeing with Steve in that first reply, just being clever; however, because you are not a native, you missed it.

Sat May 08, 2010 9:41 am

I miss nothing, John, even though I’m not an Indian. Are you, by the way?

Sat May 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:I miss nothing ...

Your posts on this forum tell us a far different story, Ken.

Sat May 08, 2010 12:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:I miss nothing ...

Your posts on this forum tell us a far different story, Ken.

And yours do not, John? Please, don’t make me laugh.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:53 pm

My faves of Hound Dog:

1.. Milton Berle '56
2. In Person LP '69
3. MSG LP '72

Mon May 10, 2010 5:51 am

VEGAS74 wrote:Elvis 1961 Hawaii Benefit Concert has got to be one of the best live versions I think and also the "longest" for sure!!.....I think he sings "You aint nothin but a Hound dog" 28 times on the lp and the crowd are goin wild!

On the original 1978 bootleg, Golden Archives extended the performance, for reasons unknown. The correct length, about three and a half minutes, is heard on the official release Elvis Aron Presley (RCA 1980, BMG 1998).

Ken Jensen wrote:And yours do not, John?

No, especially not when compared to your posts, Ken. But at least you're trying.

Mon May 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Nice attempt, John. Don’t stop trying. One day, you might just make it.

Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 am

JerryNodak wrote:My faves of Hound Dog:

1.. Milton Berle '56
2. In Person LP '69
3. MSG LP '72

My 3 favorite as well. I would like to add my 4th from rapid city 77' He gets down at the end! 8)

Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Doc:

As much love as you have for sit down versions of One Night, Lawdy, and Tryin' To Get To You, and I love them too, they still do not equal the 50's versions.

I agree.

Elvis surpasses them during the small combo jams. No mean feat.

Wow! No way! I like the 50's cuts, but at no time does he EVER top the performances he gave at the sitdown shows. In my humble opinion, with love...l.o.v.e.

Tue May 11, 2010 10:34 am

midnightx wrote:
stevelecher wrote: "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," great as the 68 versions are, do not come close to the fabulous 1956 version. IMO!

Can't agree with you there Steve. LMC is a shining example of Elvis surpassing a 50's classic with his dynamic, impassioned version from Burbank.

Absolutely!!

Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 pm

GuitarKing wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

As much love as you have for sit down versions of One Night, Lawdy, and Tryin' To Get To You, and I love them too, they still do not equal the 50's versions.

I agree.

Wow! No way! I like the 50's cuts, but at no time does he EVER top the performances he gave at the sitdown shows. In my humble opinion, with love...l.o.v.e.

GuitarKing, our opinions are the same.

Look at the bits highlighted in red.

I took Steve's statement and had fun with it.

Don't fret, though. This is what Ken from Norway had trouble comprehending, and he misses "nothing."

Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 pm

The two sit down shows are 100 minutes of heaven. It's incredible that an album didn't emerge from them at the time. It would have worked outside of the 68 TV show soundtrack, which could have compiled the stand up show material with the production numbers.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The two sit down shows are 100 minutes of heaven. It's incredible that an album didn't emerge from them at the time.

These informal sessions came together at the 11th hour, and were never considered a core portion of the program. It was only after public reaction in Dec 1968, Aug 1969 (when it was rerun, with "Tiger Man" replacing "Blue Christmas"), and Jan 1974 (when RCA issued three June 27 tracks on Elvis: A Legendary Performer) did these incredible jams begin to impact fans of all ages.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
GuitarKing wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I agree.

GuitarKing, our opinions are the same.

Look at the bits highlighted in red.

I took Steve's statement and had fun with it.

Don't fret, though. This is what Ken from Norway had trouble comprehending, and he misses "nothing."

So what you’re saying is that you didn’t take Steve seriously, that you, in fact, have no respect for his opinion, as you saw fit to "have fun with it"?

Or is this simply a poor excuse for having been caught out in the open? Which is it, John, A or B? Try worming your way out of this one.

You hate it that I call you John, don’t you, John? It kinda makes you feel powerless, doesn’t it, John?

Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am

A full album could have been wonderful at the time.

Even one incorporating the recent bluesy material from Nashville on one side and select tracks from the sit downs on side B!

SIDE ONE

1 Guitar Man
2 U S Male
3 Too Much monkey business
4 Big Boss Man
5 Hi Heel Sneakers
6 Down in The Alley

SIDE TWO

1 That's All Right
2 Tiger Man
3 Baby What You Want Me To Do
4 Trying to Get To You
5 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
6 One Night

Could have made quite an impact!

Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 am

Feb 1970 Hound Dog [Complete Version] with funny video
phpBB [video]

Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:A full album could have been wonderful at the time.

Even one incorporating the recent bluesy material from Nashville on one side and select tracks from the sit downs on side B!

SIDE ONE

1 Guitar Man
2 U S Male
3 Too Much monkey business
4 Big Boss Man
5 Hi Heel Sneakers
6 Down in The Alley

SIDE TWO

1 That's All Right
2 Tiger Man
3 Baby What You Want Me To Do
4 Trying to Get To You
5 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
6 One Night

Could have made quite an impact!

Well, people would have noticed how side two blows side one out of the water.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, people would have noticed how side two blows side one out of the water.

Hence, save the best side till last!

Actually side one could have ended with guitar man - a song about sitting in and jamming with a little four piece band.

Nice link to side two of Elvis doing just that.

I think it could have been a true classic studio/live album comprising the very cream of his recent studio works with those 6 live and exciting interpretations closing out the set.

Elvis looking ridiculously good on the cover would have helped too - as he did in 68.

My home made copy get's many a spin and it's a good one to play for visitors - y'know, show 'em what it's all about! :smt001

Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 am

I took no offense, and felt no lack of respect, because of Doc's disagreement with my assertion that the 50's versions of said songs are superior. He and I agree on many items and have different opinions on a number of tracks. I know we both agree that the 50's versions and the 68 versions of these songs are all tremendous and he has the right to like certain performances better than I do. There's no right or wrong here.

Thanks....

Steve Lecher

Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 am

How many of you think the 1968 version of "Trouble" also surpasses the original?

Wed May 12, 2010 3:42 am

stevelecher wrote:I took no offense, and felt no lack of respect, because of Doc's disagreement with my assertion that the 50's versions of said songs are superior. He and I agree on many items and have different opinions on a number of tracks. I know we both agree that the 50's versions and the 68 versions of these songs are all tremendous and he has the right to like certain performances better than I do. There's no right or wrong here.

Right on, Steve. You're a well-balanced fan, my favorite kind!

ekenee wrote:How many of you think the 1968 version of "Trouble" also surpasses the original?

Count me -- IN.

---

BTW, I just gave the full version of "Hound Dog" from Shreveport on 12-15-56 another spin -- thanks, The Purple Gang -- and until someone finds another version on another long-lost tape, THE IS THE ONE.

Incredible, powerful, hilarious (Elvis laughs at one point) performance from the GREATEST singer of the 20th Century.

Every fan should have this, and the rest of this show, in their collection.

Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 am

ekenee wrote:How many of you think the 1968 version of "Trouble" also surpasses the original?

I do. I can't think of any 50's song he did in 68' that he didn't better.

Wed May 12, 2010 5:01 am

Trouble from 68 probably is better than the 1958 original. I think the later arrangement makes it so. Two killer vocals. Man, what a choice!

Steve Lecher

Fri May 14, 2010 2:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Alexander wrote:Posting over here, brings back old memories... Yesterday I posted this record in the Tweedlee Dee/ Fool, Fool, Fool topic.

I had not played it for over a decade so I picked it up again. Great versions of Maybellene, Tweedlee Dee and Hound Dog! I think Hound Dog is sensational, stunning, well... beyond words... it still gives me goosebumps and makes me pump up to volume so loud neighbours came to see if something was wrong... It represents everything you associate with The King of Rock & Roll...

A couple of questions came to mind:

1. I could not trace this Hound Dog version though... I think it is from December 1956? (15th?)
2. Has it ever been rereleased on CD? I can not remember it being included on the 50s box.
3. Why was this complete concert never released? On vinyl it sounds better than many official 70s soundboard material FTD has released so far. (not to mentoin historical importance)... Is there a setlist of this particular concert?
4. Why is the early Elvis live so neglected by FTD? We have all the TV shows, the various Hayride performances, the Eagles Hall 55, Las Vegas, Lubbock and Little Rock, Mississippi Fair and Dairy Show (1956) performances (partly) released (most on vinyl or bootlegs) over the years.
5. Do we have clues what's more in the FTD vaults and how would you prefer FTD to release those great early live recordings?

Hi Alexander -

"Hound Dog" is from the final Hayride appearance, and it's missing the first minute or two. * Three tracks have surfaced in 30 years time. There are two sources for the show. The sound is more than adequate.

It will make a wonderful official release, someday ->

Elvis Presley
"Louisiana Hayride" Benefit Show
Saturday, December 15, 1956
Hirsch Youth Center, Shreveport, LA

Heartbreak Hotel
Long Tall Sally
I Was The One
Love Me Tender (missing ending)

Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
I Got A Woman
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Paralyzed
Hound Dog (missing beginning)

Some of this appeared on bootleg in 1978 (off-line) and officially in 1984 (in-line). The quality of the in-line source is quite good.

This "Hound Dog," with Elvis milking a slow blues, vamp ending in front of 9,000 screaming fans, is astonishing.

There may be no other known live versions of "Paralyzed," either. He sounds great doing it, though.

---

As for your queries, it's unclear why the show has not been issued yet.
Lord knows I've let the people who have the tape know how significant it is!

As far as definitive live versions of "Hound Dog," it may be a toss up between the Jun 5, 1956 Berle performance and the Dec 15, 1956 Hayride version. The latter gets the edge for the pure, unadulterated sound of Presleymania!

Sad to say, the live recordings of 1954-56 are not of such fidelity or desirability that FTD sees a need to issue them. Just look at the generally distainful attitude towards early Elvis on this forum. The 1950s no longer excites the current fan base -- they want more 1976 outtakes and soundboards.

That said, there should be definitive early live material as part of the forthcoming SUN book project.

Me? I still hope for some type of release of one of those "poor quality" tapes from the 1957 tours. Fifty-three years is an awfully long time to wait.

---

* full cut issued on the hard-to-find CD Elvis Presley at the Hayride Tonight! (JAT, 2003)

Regarding this live version of Paralyzed, Doc, can you tell us if Elvis plays in the style of the record release or in the slow-downed version, modeled after Jackie Wilson's version of "Don't Be Creul", he suggsted he thought about doing it on the Million Dollar Quartet session? Thx!