Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The best live version of Hound Dog...

Fri May 07, 2010 3:20 am

Elvis was a MONSTER in the 1950's. He never ever equaled that in later years.

Fri May 07, 2010 3:34 am

stevelecher wrote:Doc:

As much love as you have for sit down versions of One Night, Lawdy, and Tryin' To Get To You, and I love them too, they still do not equal the 50's versions.

I agree.

Elvis surpasses them during the small combo jams. No mean feat.

Fri May 07, 2010 8:05 am

Doc:

That's as absurd as what Ken said.

Steve L.

Fri May 07, 2010 8:18 am

He surpassed, "lawdy miss clawdy".

The timeless Sun recording of "tryin to get to you" was not topped, but it was great.

He did not top his classic 1957 vocals on "one night" either, but he did sing it with humor and passion.

The 1961 version of "one night" beats the 1968 version as well.

Probaby the best live version of "hound dog", is one we will never hear.
By some accounts, he was very suggestive and wild the night, at the first
concert at the Pan pacific, in Los Angeles, Ca, in late 1957.

Fri May 07, 2010 8:40 am

Ekenee:

Probably every version sung in 1956 and 1957, which we will never hear, beats every version from 1969 - 1977. We kind of have to go with versions we've heard.

There are people on this board that like the 1974 version of "Tryin' to Get To You" more than the 1968 versions. I'm glad you agree the 1955 version is supreme.

The 1968 version that comes closest to its 1950's counterpoint is "One Night." These 68 versions of "One Night" are awesome but still do not equal or surpass the monumental 1957 smash. "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," great as the 68 versions are, do not come close to the fabulous 1956 version. IMO!

Steve L.

Fri May 07, 2010 8:52 am

stevelecher wrote: "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," great as the 68 versions are, do not come close to the fabulous 1956 version. IMO!

Can't agree with you there Steve. LMC is a shining example of Elvis surpassing a 50's classic with his dynamic, impassioned version from Burbank.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:18 am

That's fine Midnightx. I think we both agree that the 56 version and the 68 versions are all wonderful.

Steve L.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:21 am

thefunkyangel wrote:June 21st '77 = Best Hound Dog :lol:

:lol:

Fri May 07, 2010 9:21 am

KingElvis wrote:I dont listen to 50s tracks so for me the ultimate live version is the Las Vegas, February 15 1970 M.S.....released on PSA-FTD

You've got to be kidding right?

Fri May 07, 2010 9:23 am

I think LMC from '68 was brilliant, especially with the addition of the Tarnell/Toenail bit which added some dynamic with the chorus of amusement from the backup - however that studio recording of LMC is just...divine.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:41 am

As much love as you have for sit down versions of One Night, Lawdy, and Tryin' To Get To You, and I love them too, they still do not equal the 50's versions. One Night is one of the great, great Elvis records and the Sun Tryin' to Get To You just can't be beat.

Sorry Ken, but your assertions about That's All Right from '70-72 or Jailhouse Rock from 1968 coming anywhere close to the originals may be the most shocking comments I've seen on this board. However, as Doc said, two pages of talk about versions of Hound Dog from 1970 comparing to 1956 versions proves how undervalued Elvis' truly stunning 1950's legacy can be even to some of his biggest fans, who contribute to these pages.

Steve Lecher

I could not agree more, Steve!

Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 am

ekenee wrote:Probaby the best live version of "hound dog", is one we will never hear.
By some accounts, he was very suggestive and wild the night, at the first
concert at the Pan pacific, in Los Angeles, Ca, in late 1957.

Let's base our opinions on the audio we do have, because eye witness reports are never trustworthy in these kind of matters.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:47 am

midnightx wrote:
stevelecher wrote: "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," great as the 68 versions are, do not come close to the fabulous 1956 version. IMO!

Can't agree with you there Steve. LMC is a shining example of Elvis surpassing a 50's classic with his dynamic, impassioned version from Burbank.

In your quotes MidnightX you have prooven to be a great fan of the 1968 - 1969 straight foreward rock 'n' roll Elvis made by then and nothing is wrong that, because I think those versions are awesome as well, but... the 1956 version of LMC is so much more layered and sofisticated. From 1968 Elvis made some great rock 'n' roll out of it and that was a great development, but yet I prefer the original 1956 master.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: "Hound Dog" is from the final Hayride appearance, and it's missing the first minute or two.
Hound Dog (missing beginning)

As you have made the same comment on previous threads regarding this recording, it appears your information is out of date. Therefore, you will be pleased to learn that the complete performance of 'Hound Dog' from the Dec 15th Hayride Show has, in fact, been readily available for several years.

It can be found on the At the Hayride Tonight! CD which came with the JAT Publishing book Elvis: The Hayride Years '54-'56 (2004) by Frank Page & Joey Kent.

Unlike all the other earlier releases - which cut in just before the second verse - this one begins with a moment of crowd noise before Elvis sings the opening line to the song. The whole performance of 'Hound Dog' including the slow ending lasts 3:36 and then goes into an instrumental vamp played by the band as Elvis exits followed by the now famous announcement "Elvis has left the building ...." made by Horace Logan, taking the whole track to 6:26.
The 'Hound Dog' we're talking about here is a stand alone recording - the one song recorded by radio station KWKH. This would account for its superior sound quality to 'Love Me Tender' and 'I Was the One' which were recorded by audience members.

When it was confirmed six years ago by author & archivist Joey Kent that the full show existed on another tape source, and that he was working on a follow-up to his first Hayride book, I expected to see it released within a year. Then Ernst confirmed about three years ago that he had bought the recording and so, again, I thought it would available quite soon after that. So, it's disappointing that there's still no sign of this show being released.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Elvis was a MONSTER in the 1950's. He never ever equaled that in later years.

It was just the beast in him.

Fri May 07, 2010 2:18 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:As you have made the same comment on previous threads regarding this recording, it appears your information is out of date. Therefore, you will be pleased to learn that the complete performance of 'Hound Dog' from the Dec 15th Hayride Show has, in fact, been readily available for several years.

Oh good, I'll update my fact-filled replies.

Sadly, the disc in question has stayed on the shelf next to JAT's A Cold Night In Nashville for the past half-decade. Do you own this 2003 CD? If so, one might think you would have cared enough to step up to the plate long before 2010. If not, do thank your friend for all of us here.

The Purple Gang wrote:The 'Hound Dog' we're talking about here is a stand alone recording - the one song recorded by radio station KWKH. This would account for its superior sound quality to 'Love Me Tender' and 'I Was the One' which were recorded by audience members.

The province of the other two songs was already noted in two prior posts here, and in "the same comment on previous threads regarding this recording." However, on the JAT CD, which includes "I Was The One" and "Hound Dog," the sources appear to be identical. Ask your friend to lend you the CD.

Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The Purple Gang wrote:As you have made the same comment on previous threads regarding this recording, it appears your information is out of date. Therefore, you will be pleased to learn that the complete performance of 'Hound Dog' from the Dec 15th Hayride Show has, in fact, been readily available for several years.

Oh good, I'll update my fact-filled replies.

Sadly, the disc in question has stayed on the shelf next to JAT's A Cold Night In Nashville for the past half-decade. Do you own this 2003 CD? If so, one might think you would have cared enough to step up to the plate long before 2010. If not, do thank your friend for all of us here.

The Purple Gang wrote:The 'Hound Dog' we're talking about here is a stand alone recording - the one song recorded by radio station KWKH. This would account for its superior sound quality to 'Love Me Tender' and 'I Was the One' which were recorded by audience members.

The province of the other two songs was already noted in two prior posts here, and in "the same comment on previous threads regarding this recording." However, on the JAT CD, which includes "I Was The One" and "Hound Dog," the sources appear to be identical. Ask your friend to lend you the CD.

If you think someone else has supplied me with this information to post here you are completely mistaken. This is my own hard work.
Like you, I had not paid too much attention to that CD which I bought years ago, assuming it contained the same recordings as had previously been released and I only started investigating it properly last year.

I held off posting my findings here because I assumed I would receive an ungracious response.

Fri May 07, 2010 2:53 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:This is my own hard work.

Good for you!

Sat May 08, 2010 6:40 am

Steve Lecher wrote:

One Night is one of the great, great Elvis records and the Sun Tryin' to Get To You just can't be beat.

What an absurd statement. That Sun recording gets beaten solidly into the dust by almost every known live version there is. Just listen to Elvis in Burbank, Memphis, and Rapid City. All of these versions, and many more, totally smoke the original.

I love the 1954 version of "That’s All Right", but I’m spot-on in my assessment of the song. Many people have a hard time realizing that, probably because they have such reverence for the importance of the original recording. Even though it’s one of the truly great, wonderful Elvis masters, the 1970 version is simply much more enjoyable from a musical standpoint. If you collect together a large group of people and play the original and the August 12, 1970, MS versions back to back, you’ll notice they’ll respond to the latter in a much more positive way. That amazing rock ’n’ roll beat will drive them to a frenzy.

Sat May 08, 2010 6:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

As much love as you have for sit down versions of One Night, Lawdy, and Tryin' To Get To You, and I love them too, they still do not equal the 50's versions.

I agree.

Elvis surpasses them during the small combo jams. No mean feat.
drjohncarpenter wrote:In the small combo jams, Elvis took the reins of the music himself, and the results are likely the greatest rock 'n' roll ever taped.

You gotta make up your mind, John. You either agree with Steve that the ’50s versions are better than the sit-down versions, or you don’t. Stop contradicting yourself!

Sat May 08, 2010 7:04 am

Ken Jensen wrote: If you collect together a large group of people and play the original and the August 12, 1970, MS versions back to back, you’ll notice they’ll respond to the latter in a much more positive way. That amazing rock ’n’ roll beat will drive them to a frenzy.

Maybe in Norway, that'd happen!

Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 am

It would happen all over the world, Frankie.

Sat May 08, 2010 7:16 am

Ken Jensen wrote:It would happen all over the world, Frankie.

HAHAHA! Not any crowds of people or friends I have known, and I bet I have had a lot more rock and roll experiences than you, good sir. You should hang out in some crowds of serious rock and roll fans in Elvis' home country, man. You might have your views radically altered. The type of "casual" music fans you are referring to that would automatically respond to the 1970 version over the 1954 version, would respond better to Toby Keith or any newer, popular, still-alive singer doing it than Elvis from either era, just because it is more modern. And I could care less about mutton-heads like that.

Sat May 08, 2010 7:20 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:It would happen all over the world, Frankie.

HAHAHA! Not any crowds of people or friends I have known, and I bet I have had a lot more rock and roll experiences than you, good sir. You should hang out in some crowds of serious rock and roll fans in Elvis' home country, man. You might have your views radically altered. The type of "casual" music fans you are referring to that would automatically respond to the 1970 version over the 1954 version, would respond better to Toby Keith or any newer, popular, still-alive singer doing it than Elvis from either era, just because it is more modern. And I could care less about mutton-heads like that.

At least we agree on something. :lol:

Sat May 08, 2010 7:20 am

ECC83 wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Elvis was a MONSTER in the 1950's. He never ever equaled that in later years.

It was just the beast in him.
Ha! :)