Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The best live version of Hound Dog...

Tue May 04, 2010 11:08 am

Posting over here, brings back old memories... Yesterday I posted this record in the Tweedle Dee/ Fool, Fool, Fool topic.

Live.jpg

I had not played it for over a decade so I picked it up again. Great versions of Maybelline, Tweedle Dee and Hound Dog! I think Hound Dog is sensational, stunning, well... beyond words... it still gives me goozebumps and makes me pump up to volume so loud neighbours came to see if something was wrong... It represents everything you associate with The King of Rock & Roll...

A couple of questions came to mind:

1. I could not trace this Hound Dog version though... I think it is from December 1956? (15th?)
2. Has it ever been rereleased on CD? I can not remember it being included on the 50s box.
3. Why was this complete concert never released? On vinyl it sounds better than many official 70s soundboard material FTD has released so far. (not to mentoin historical importance)... Is there a setlist of this particular concert?
4. Why is the early Elvis live so neglected by FTD? We have all the TV shows, the various Hayride performances, the Eagles Hall 55, Las Vegas, Lubbock and Little Rock, Mississippi Fair and Dairy Show (1956) performances (partly) released (most on vinyl or bootlegs) over the years.
5. Do we have clues what's more in the FTD vaults and how would you prefer FTD to release those great early live recordings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The best live version of Hound Dog...

Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 pm

I dont listen to 50s tracks so for me the ultimate live version is the Las Vegas, February 15 1970 M.S.....released on PSA-FTD

Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 pm

KingElvis wrote:I dont listen to 50s tracks so for me the ultimate live version is the Las Vegas, February 15 1970 M.S.....released on PSA-FTD

So basically you are a 'partime' Elvis fan :wink: thanks for your reply although I consider it slightly off topic.

Tue May 04, 2010 12:22 pm

It must be the bloody awesome Hayride version you're referring to!
FTD, bring it on!

Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm

June 21st '77 = Best Hound Dog :lol:

Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Milton Berle 1956

THERE CAN BE NO OTHER ANSWER

Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Alexander, the CDs accompanying the SUN book will present us with every pre-1956 scrap in the barrel. That means every studio outtake, every demo, and every live recording. At least, that is what I seem to remember Ernst saying in an interview a few years back.

Tue May 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:Alexander, the CDs accompanying the SUN book will present us with every pre-1956 scrap in the barrel. That means every studio outtake, every demo, and every live recording. At least, that is what I seem to remember Ernst saying in an interview a few years back.

I hope you're right.

On topic: Elvis singing Hound dog at the Milton Berle show. That was awesome.

A good '70 version IMO is the 10 june 1972 version from An afternoon in the Garden.

Tue May 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Nope Kiwi Alan & Monique, no this one is a Hayride performance from 1956 and definately not the one of the Milton Berle Show. Frankly, both the Milton Berle version and the Lubbock Texas version which just recently passed on my iPod are great but I think this one is superior to both. Back in 1984 RCA just dated it is 1956 but since it is a track from an official release, more details should be known by now...
Last edited by Alexander on Tue May 04, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:Alexander, the CDs accompanying the SUN book will present us with every pre-1956 scrap in the barrel. That means every studio outtake, every demo, and every live recording. At least, that is what I seem to remember Ernst saying in an interview a few years back.

Then the book should contain at least 3 CDs - if they are going to include all 1953 -1954 -1955 acetates, masters, outtakes and live recordings...

Tue May 04, 2010 2:33 pm

The Milton Berle performance is my own particular favorite

Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 pm

August 70 Vegas..the one on The Hillbilly Cat live..with Mexico pre song dialogue..awesome...sheer dynamite..

Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 pm

The Berle and Sullivan show versions are cool as is the Little Rock version on Close Up. The Bloch Arena show suffers from substandard sound quality, but is appears to be a pretty wild, smokin' version. And of course, the snippet in the '68 Comeback Special stand-up segment completely rocks with a supreme vocal.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Yes, Alexander, three CDs. Mastered by the great Kevan Budd.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Elvis 1961 Hawaii Benefit Concert has got to be one of the best live versions I think and also the "longest" for sure!!.....I think he sings "You aint nothin but a Hound dog" 28 times on the lp and the crowd are goin wild!
Its just a shame the recording is not that clear.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Is that the same version thats on this?

Tue May 04, 2010 9:18 pm

The one on ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL FTD is rocking, & I do like the one on LIVE IN LA FTD – for the wah-wah guitar!

Tue May 04, 2010 9:46 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Milton Berle 1956

THERE CAN BE NO OTHER ANSWER

yep!

Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Alexander wrote:Posting over here, brings back old memories... Yesterday I posted this record in the Tweedlee Dee/ Fool, Fool, Fool topic.

I had not played it for over a decade so I picked it up again. Great versions of Maybellene, Tweedlee Dee and Hound Dog! I think Hound Dog is sensational, stunning, well... beyond words... it still gives me goosebumps and makes me pump up to volume so loud neighbours came to see if something was wrong... It represents everything you associate with The King of Rock & Roll...

A couple of questions came to mind:

1. I could not trace this Hound Dog version though... I think it is from December 1956? (15th?)
2. Has it ever been rereleased on CD? I can not remember it being included on the 50s box.
3. Why was this complete concert never released? On vinyl it sounds better than many official 70s soundboard material FTD has released so far. (not to mentoin historical importance)... Is there a setlist of this particular concert?
4. Why is the early Elvis live so neglected by FTD? We have all the TV shows, the various Hayride performances, the Eagles Hall 55, Las Vegas, Lubbock and Little Rock, Mississippi Fair and Dairy Show (1956) performances (partly) released (most on vinyl or bootlegs) over the years.
5. Do we have clues what's more in the FTD vaults and how would you prefer FTD to release those great early live recordings?

Hi Alexander -

"Hound Dog" is from the final Hayride appearance, and it's missing the first minute or two. * Three tracks have surfaced in 30 years time. There are two sources for the show. The sound is more than adequate.

It will make a wonderful official release, someday ->

Elvis Presley
"Louisiana Hayride" Benefit Show
Saturday, December 15, 1956
Hirsch Youth Center, Shreveport, LA

Heartbreak Hotel
Long Tall Sally
I Was The One
Love Me Tender (missing ending)

Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
I Got A Woman
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Paralyzed
Hound Dog (missing beginning)

Some of this appeared on bootleg in 1978 (off-line) and officially in 1984 (in-line). The quality of the in-line source is quite good.

This "Hound Dog," with Elvis milking a slow blues, vamp ending in front of 9,000 screaming fans, is astonishing.

There may be no other known live versions of "Paralyzed," either. He sounds great doing it, though.

---

As for your queries, it's unclear why the show has not been issued yet.
Lord knows I've let the people who have the tape know how significant it is!

As far as definitive live versions of "Hound Dog," it may be a toss up between the Jun 5, 1956 Berle performance and the Dec 15, 1956 Hayride version. The latter gets the edge for the pure, unadulterated sound of Presleymania!

Sad to say, the live recordings of 1954-56 are not of such fidelity or desirability that FTD sees a need to issue them. Just look at the generally distainful attitude towards early Elvis on this forum. The 1950s no longer excites the current fan base -- they want more 1976 outtakes and soundboards.

That said, there should be definitive early live material as part of the forthcoming SUN book project.

Me? I still hope for some type of release of one of those "poor quality" tapes from the 1957 tours. Fifty-three years is an awfully long time to wait.

---

* full cut issued on the hard-to-find CD Elvis Presley at the Hayride Tonight! (JAT, 2003)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

I don't know if you mean the version on this cd.
Sensational version !!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2010 10:16 pm

That's the one!

Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm

What CDs can I purchase that cover these 50s live performances, or at least a few of them?

Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 am

FMCSIMMONS wrote:What CDs can I purchase that cover these 50s live performances, or at least a few of them?

Off the top of my head:

The Legend Begins (Magnum Force 2002)
Louisiana Hayride Oct 54, Apr 55, Houston Mar 55, Little Rock May 56
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Begins-Live-Elvis-Presley/dp/B00000116J

Elvis Aron Presley (RCA 1980 / BMG 1998)
Las Vegas May 56, Honolulu Mar 1961
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvis-Aron-Presley-Silver-Box/dp/B00000637U

Elvis: A Golden Celebration (RCA 1984 / BMG 1998)
All TV appearances Jan 56-Jan 57, Tupelo Sep 56
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Celebration-Elvis-Presley/dp/B0000015O9

The Louisiana Hayride Archives, Vol. 1 (Branson Gold, 1996)
Louisiana Hayride Oct 54, Jan 55, Aug 55, Dec 56
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220418662407

These are all worth picking up!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed May 05, 2010 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 05, 2010 12:58 am

phpBB [video]

::rocks

Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 am

Back on point -- here are the three tracks from the Dec 15, 1956 "Hayride" broadcast.

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley - Last "Louisiana Hayride" Appearance, Saturday, December 15, 1956

Again, note the first two cuts are an off-line source of the radio broadcast, the last from the in-line tape.

Scotty's lead on "Hound Dog" is killer! D.J.'s drums are hard as steel. And listen to that crowd!!!

I seem to recall L.A. Times critic Robert Hilburn going wild over the 1984 release of this live recording of "Hound Dog," and his call for the entire show to be issued immediately, it was that important.

Oh well, so much for the power of the press.